Start by marking “Ivy” as Want to Read:

(Ivy #1)

For fans of Jessica Day George and E. D. Baker comes a charming young fantasy about a girl, her grandmother, and an animal hospital devoted to fantastical creatures.
Ivy s grandmother is a healer to mostly four-legged patients of the forest. Although the woodland creatures love her, the residents of Broomsweep grumble about Grandmother s unkempt garden. When a kingdom-wid
Published March 7th 2017 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ivy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivy

Start your review of Ivy
Catherine
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this enchanting fairytale story a little girl named Ivy lives with her Grandmother in the town of Broomsweep. Grandmother is known as a healer of creatures and Ivy also has a way with animals. Trouble appears in the form of the mayor’s wife Mistress Peevish as well as some neighborhood children who bully Ivy. The town of Broomsweep is a place where everything is neat and tidy, except for Grandmother’s cottage. The townspeople are anticipating the arrival of the new Queen Emmeline who will cho ...more
Jillian Heise
A sweet fantasy early chapter book. Animal lovers will enjoy it. A quick and easy read, just right for those starting lengthier chapter books.
Gabbywc
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the advance reading copy of Ivy by Katherine Coville. This book has very beautiful art and an interesting plot line. Ivy is an excitable character who many young girls can relate too. This book made me laugh and laugh. The world that Katherine Coville creates is wonderful and imaginative. I highly recommend this book to all of the young readers out there.
Ryn Lewis
Ivy lives in the tidiest town in the kingdom. Unfortunately, her grandmother’s house is, according to the villagers, an untidy eyesore. Worse, with the new queen hosting a competition for the kingdom’s best town, the villagers are placing more and more pressure on Ivy’s grandma to shape up… or get out. The competition is causing problems for more than just Ivy though. First a griffin and then a dragon show up, chased from their homes for being troublesome and untidy. Finding shelter at Ivy’s bri ...more
Kelly Veatch
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
What a cute book! This book was a quick, short, but very enjoyable read. It's about a girl named Ivy who lived with her grandmother. The grandmother was a healer of all creatures including magical ones. They were not very well-liked by the townspeople because their garden was very messy, and they did not sweep their porch twice a day like all the other people. Ivy and her grandmother were very kind to everyone, and, in the end, helped the town become the best town in the kingdom. All of the char ...more
Maureen
An enjoyable read without all the moralistic stuff being shoved down your throat.
Douglas Cootey
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a cute, charming chapter book, perfect for young readers. It was told in a simple to read manner with enough description to provide setting without the text becoming difficult for young readers. Despite being told in a simple, storybook manner, it was filled with surprises. Many of my predictions came true. Cedric did save the town to the delight of the queen, but I forgot about the dragon mentioned at the beginning of the book. I, also, didn’t predict that [spoiler] the townsfolk would ...more
Debra
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
A very nice introduction to magical creatures and also goblins. Ivy is a shy young girl who has a gift with animals and is learning the healing trade from her grandmother. The town is not happy with them because they do not fit into the mold. They are not concerned about the appearance of their property and they welcome magical creatures. The herbs and other plants that they grow look more like weeds. The towns people insist that magical creatures bring trouble. They will soon find out what happ ...more
Renee
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paw
Short fantasy book (134 pages) that includes pixies, a sick dragon, a three legged griffin, and some nasty trolls. Really enjoyed.

Ivy lives in Broomsweep with her grandmother who is the healer of animals and magical creatures. Everyone in town ( a clean perfect town) is embarrassed and angered by the grandmother's dirty home and unkept garden. The new queen is visiting all the villages and will award a festival to the best village. Many of the villagers, especially the Mayor's wife, are furious
Kathy Broadnax
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful story of Ivy and her Grandmother. Villagers call her Meg the Healer. Ivy and she are able to relate to the animals that live in and around a the village of Broomsweep. It is one of the tidiest villages in the area, the townspeople sweep the dust away twice a day. Not Ivy and her Grandmother, they have a garden to tend to; which helps with the healing of all kinds of ailments. The storyline is a good one. It tells how, if we try, we are able to work together for the good of the communi ...more
Heydi Smith
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ivy is a quaint little girl who lives with her grandma at the end of a little town. Her grandmother is a healer for animals, all animals even fairytale ones like dragons and griffins. Sounds simple, but the queen of their province is coming and rumors have reached them that she doesn't like animals especially fairy ones.

The story and illustrations are mesmerizing and enchanting. You will walk away from this one with a warm feeling in your heart.
Rosa Cline
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, own, mine-read, dragon, 2018
This was a nice book for a child that likes dragons, goblins, etc. Not for the advanced child reader as they would find it to slow. But for a child with imagination it would be good.
a little girl and her grandma regardless of what the village says know that they need to care for all creatures even if they are dragon, fairies, goblins etc. And in showing compassion for them they help teach the village the same.
Nate
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
My 5 year old absolutely adored this book, and my 12 year old eavesdropped most of the story. Cedric the Griffin is now lodged in our family memory. By the way, this was a prime book box selection - we’ve received two boxes over four months and the selections have been new to us and spot on for the age group. Highly recommend this book and we will search out more by this author.
Jarum
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Pros: Fun and spirited.
Cons: A group of children tease a girl for being heavy. Some mild, disrespectful language, mostly from the Mayor's Wife. It's done in character, but dripping with disdain and intolerance. Largely overshadowed by an understanding grandmother and a better path for understanding through the narrative.
Tiffany
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the 2019 Children's Sequoyah list

A short fantasy story touching on the issues of being different and changing others' perspective on you. Ivy lives with her grandmother in a town of very boring but neat people. Ivy and her grandmother are healers and grow herbs and are too busy being kind to worry about having a picture perfect yard.
Eileen Winfrey
Ivy lives with her grandmother and helps her to take care of all hurt or sick forest creatures who present themselves at their door. Unfortunately, because they aren’t as tidy as their neighbors, they run into some trouble with the mayor’s wife. A sweet story for younger kids beginning to read chapter books.
Ann Santori
Very sweet book . . . some tension, but quickly resolved. Lovely relationship between Ivy and her grandmother and an overall message of staying true to oneself. Younger end of the middle-grade novel spectrum.
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun little easy read. The characters were interesting and the plot was predictable enough without being boring. The magical creatures were just right. It is a great begining chapter book for those kids who are wanting to move beyond Junie B. Jones and Magic Tree House.
Kat Ice
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was creative and different than normal books. I say its not as good as I thought it would be. The cover! Great for kids imaginations!
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another Sequoyah read. A sweet little story of wonder and magic. Very feel good. It does deal with bullying issues a bit and shows how kindness can go far.
Jodi Escalante
A fun lighthearted read with my 5 and 7 year old. My 7 year old was laughing out loud during the fourth and third chapters from the end. Not a ton of evolution of characters. Pretty simple reading.
Stacy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My seven year old took turns reading chapters and we both enjoyed the book. Such a cute story. We would both recommend it.
Krista Ivy
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior, sterlington, lyrc
What a cute and quick read.
Sarah Smith
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet fantasy of unlikely friends, magical creatures, and a contest that is everyone’s focus.
Shaunterria
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Phrases to describe Ivy: deliberately paced early chapter book, easily discernable characters, tidy ending with room for a sequel.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
A town obsessed with order vs the charming chaos of a healer's cottage. Warning! Do not come between a griffin and his dog. "I PROTECT THE POOF!"
Lisa
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellemae
EM really loved this one. She loved the fantastical characters and Ivy and her sweet Grandma.
Lindsey Kult
I think children will find this book humorous and learn important lessons about how to treat people from it. I really enjoyed reading it!
Kristin
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a super cute fantasy chapter book for transitional readers.
Jill Cd
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the utterly adorable characters in this story. Throw in a griffin, a dragon, pixies, trolls and child queen and you have a great read ! So cute.

• Superstar
  • The Tiny Hero of Ferny Creek Library
  • The Great Treehouse War
  • Genevieve's War
  • Lemons
  • Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)
  • The Crooked Sixpence (The Uncommoners #1)
  • How to Be an Elephant
  • Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero
  • Snow & Rose
  • Bob
  • Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
  • The Rhino in Right Field
  • A True Home (Heartwood Hotel, #1)

Ivy (2 books)
  • Ivy and the Goblins (Ivy, #2)