Start by marking “The Silence of the Flans (Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Silence of the Flans (Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #2)

The Silence of the Flans

(An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery #2)

Baker Winnie Johnson does her best work when the heat is on. As owner of the Emergency Dessert Squad, she has a deft touch in the kitchen and a soft spot for lost causes. So when her business professor beau, Jay Morgan, expresses misgivings over having to fail one of his fourth-year students, Winnie cooks up a sweet solution.

She'll offer an extra credit opportunity in
Mass Market Paperback, 281 pages
Published March 7th 2017 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of the Flans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence of the Flans

Start your review of The Silence of the Flans (Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #2)
Tina
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Review/Giveaway
Mar. 19 A Cozy Girl Reads and Writes

Silence of The Flans has a unique premise any foodie with a insashable sweet tooth won't be able to put down. The dessert ambulance and Winnie, the ameture sleuth "rescuing" customers with life's problems with delicious desserts she bakes.

There's Winnie's charming elderly friends besides some insufferable characters. A precious love/hate relationship with her cat,Lovey who likes to tag along on Dessert
Stacie Amelotte
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Laura Bradford is one author that never disappoints. From the moment you pick up one of her books you are immediately drawn into an adventure. She has a way of transporting you into the setting. For a moment in time you can escape reality and enjoy being part of Winnie’s life. When you close your eyes you can smell the mouthwatering desserts. If only we could call the real Emergency Dessert Squad to rescue our sweet tooth! Luckily some of the recipes are included and they sound yummy. This ...more
Anastasia
Silence of the Flans by Laura Bradford is the second book in the Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery series. Winnie Johnson, owner of the Emergency Dessert Squad, delivers a rescue dessert to a student journalist who is then found poisoned by the dessert. I love the concept behind the Emergency Dessert Squad and I love the characters, but I found the murder investigation rather weak in this book and the ending rushed. I felt there was too much focus on the lack of attention from her boyfriend and a ...more
Linda 📚
Hello, 9-Yum-Yum? I'm calling the Emergency Dessert Squad! I'm in the middle of studying for finals, and I need a fudgelicious chocolate cake with buttercream frosting!!!

A lip-smackingly wonderful cozy mystery. Ingredients contain delightful characters, humor, and a clever, refreshing plot. Delicious recipes at end of story! I highly recommend this series.
Mark Baker
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2017
Winnie’s new Emergency Dessert Squad business has been opened for six weeks, and it is quickly gaining customers. But then the unthinkable happens – someone dies after eating one of Winnie’s desserts. Now the phone has stopped ringing and it looks like Winnie may go out of business. In order to keep her new business running, she needs to find the killer, can she do it?

This series has such a fun premise, and the punny names that Winnie uses for her desserts are a delight. Just as much fun are the
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE SILENCE OF THE FLANS
Book 2 in the Emergency Dessert Squad Mysteries
By Laura Bradford
5 stars

EMERGENCY ALERT! The Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery series is one of the tastiest cozy mystery series I’ve read!

I have had a craving to read THE SILENCE OF THE FLANS since I read the last page of ÉCLAIR AND PRESENT DANGER, book one in this delightful series. As always, author Laura Bradford has penned a tale that was totally worth the wait!

I’ve read all sorts of books ranging from awful to fabulous.
Karen
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like main character Winnie and I especially love her neighbor Mr. Nelson. The dynamic of their relationship is what I enjoy most in this series. I found it difficult to figure out who the murder truly was and their motive in this book, I was truly surprised in the end when both were reveled. I was caught up in the side story of the relationships Winnie has with each character, even though I knew it was all centered around the murder, it was the relationships I took most from in this ...more
Melodie
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I think I'm in the minority, but this series just doesn't grab me at all. It's cute, which is okay, but I like my cozy series to be more than cute. Stopping with this one.
Sue Ross
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story

When I first started this series, I wasn't sure. The more I read, the more I wanted more and this is what I got. Another great mystery. The characters in the series feel like I've known them my entire life and I find myself cheering for them. I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Christine
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
This is the second book in the emergency desert squad mysteries. Winnie's boyfriend confides in her about a failing student. She agrees to have her as an intern to help get her grade up. This almost immediately turns into a disaster. On the first day, they get an order for a blackberry crisp to be delivered to a student at the college. Winnie takes her intern with her and they drop off the desert. The next morning Winnie finds out that the student died and the police think her desert is to ...more
Jayme
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love the Emergency Dessert Squad. Winnie offers to help one of Jay's students. A call comes in for a blueberry pie, Winnie changed it to a blackberry crisp... that's when Winnie's life changes until she can prove she didn't poison the dessert. I was completely stumped up until the very end... great story, laugh out loud moments with Mr. Nelson, yummy recipes in the back.. what more could you ask for??
Linda
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
I love Winnie's Emergency Dessert Squad dessert names. This book was good and I'm definitely team Master Sergent Hottie (although Jay may be okay). The story was good, although I felt a lacking in police presence that should have spurred Winnie's investigating.
Debbie
Ms. Bradford does it again, I loved this book. The whole idea of an emergency dessert squad is so intriguing, I wish there really was one.
When Winnie delivers a killer dessert the town looks at her as the murderer and the phones stop ringing for orders. Winnie and friends decide that they must figure it out.
I can't begin to say enough good about these characters, Winnie is real, she gets upset, she cries, she gets mad and frightened like any real person would do. Renee is so much fun and has
Betsy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Second book in the Emergency Dessert Squad Mysteries. Unfortunately, this book didn't appeal to me at all. The mystery was uninteresting and I was able to figure out the details pretty early on. I understand Winnie enjoys spending time with her elderly neighbors, but it is like they are written as caricatures of themselves. And the whole "romance" with Jay (and to be honest, her relationships with Greg and Lovey) adds nothing to the book.
Regan
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The focus on the romance—or lack thereof—with Jay—made me want to reach into the pages and tell Winnie to give it up. She’s only known him six weeks and while it’s great he puts his 16 year old daughter, Caroline, ahead of Winnie at almost every turn, it’s pretty clear they aren’t going to have a happily ever after. To make things worse, there is Greg, aka Master Sergeant Hottie, who wants nothing more than to date Winnie and while she’s friendly to him, and makes it clear she doesn’t feel ...more
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love the idea of an emergency dessert squad....so to find out it was in jeopardy during this book actually made me sad. (And my biggest disappointment with this one was that there were barely any emergency calls. I know that was all a part of the story...but that why I love the series). I was frustrated with many of the characters in this story, but in a way that I'm sure the author contrived on purpose. I love Winnie's elderly friends and they were constantly cracking me up. I can't ...more
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
4.5 Stars

Winnie Johnson and her Emergency Dessert Squad delivery service are back in The Silence of the Flans, the second book in Laura Bradford’s Emergency Dessert Squad Series. This standalone read finds Winnie defending herself and her business against a murder accusation.

Things are finally going good with Winnie and her new beau, college professor Jay Morgan. Unfortunately, Jay has been acting a little distant and withdrawn of late. When Winnie finds out Jay is worried about one of his
Alice
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like Laura Bradford's book overally. She has the wonderful ability to develop multidimensional characters. I like this series a lot because many of the support characters are senior citizens that are interesting and leading good lives. Good mystery and she advanced Winnie and Jay's characters. Love the cat. Recipes are good too.
Dawn Michelle
WHAT. THE. HECK?

I really enjoyed the first book in this series. I did NOT enjoy this one at all. It had WAY to much romance, hand-wringing, and well, annoyance in this one. I was bored with the characters I really enjoyed in book one and it was like it was trying W A Y too hard. And the end...W T HECK?
This was just a huge NO NO NO for me. Ugh.
Sigh.
Drebbles
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Winnie Johnson’s business “Emergency Dessert Squad” is fairly new but flourishing as is her relationship with Professor Jay Morgan. When she hears that Jay is having issues with one of his students, Winnie gladly gives the girl an internship hoping that will help her grade and ease Jay’s mind. However, when a college student dies from poisoning, apparently after eating one of Winnie’s deliveries, both her business and relationship with Jay are threatened. Winnie knows that in order to clear her ...more
Fred
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Silence Of The Flans is the second book in the An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery.

If you like punny books, then this is series should be on you TBR stack.

Winnie Johnson and her assistant Renee are pleased with how well their Emergency Dessert Squad is doing. They’re thinking they just way have a lights and sirens business on their hands

If only Winnie’s love life was going as well, then everything would be just perfect. The man that she is drawn to, Jay, has been acting a little distant
Karen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book two in this series with a great premise.
An emergency dessert delivery service, I only wish that existed!
A good whodunit that kept me guessing.
I look forward to reading the next in the series!
Marlea
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have a lot of issues with this book including, but not limited to:

1. What exactly does the police department do exactly? They seem to sit in the office all day and wait for baked goods without accomplishing any police work.

2. How is it that the newspaper was able to publish Winnie's picture and that her pie killed Melinda if the police hadn't conducted an investigation and pointed a finger? Whose running the town here? The police repeatedly said they thought Winnie was innocent but never
Leslie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh, I really wanted to like this series. The idea of the whole emergency dessert squad is awesome and cute but I really just feel like the series has yet to deliver. There's too much whining over her boyfriend and not enough sleuthing. I gave her a pass for the first one as she had to set up the world and such but this one wasn't any better.

So I'll give some pros and cons.

Pros- The sidekicks, Renee, Nelson and Bridget are fun characters that have good personalities.
The plot, the actual crime
Christina
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, read-in-2018
Unfortunately, this is going to be the last book I read in the Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery series. After the first book was just okay for me, this second book let me down even more.

My biggest issue is with the mistakes in the book. For example, on page 112, Winnie discovers a list of names in a notebook. Two of the names, Alicia and Nina, are people she knows, and both are women. Then, on page 114, the book reads: “Nina. The only female name on the whole list.” Later on the page, it reads:
Carmen
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Winnie's new business is just starting to pick up when her latest recipient turns up dead with a Emergency Dessert Squad blackberry crisp in her mouth. Her customers dry up as she finds herself the talk of the town and a murder suspect. With plenty of time suddenly on her hands, Winnie decides to investigate the murder and clear her name once and for all.

The second installment of the series is just as charming as the first. All of the old folks that Winnie hangs out with on a regular basis are
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and this one is just as good. Since starting a couple of this author's cozies she is fast becoming a favorite.

Winnie is just making a comeback from having to close her bakery. She came up with the clever idea to use an old ambulance she was giving to start her Emergency Dessert Squad and it's off to a great start until...

Jay is having problems with one of his students, he doesn't want to fail her because her grandmother is sick and wants to see her
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN13: 9780425280904
Author website: http://www.laurabradford.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Synopsis:

The second delectable Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery from the national bestselling author of Eclair and Present Danger.

Debbie
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
"Silence of the Flans" is a cozy mystery and the second book in the series. This book didn't spoil the whodunit of the previous mystery. I didn't read the first novel, so I don't understand her attraction to her boyfriend as we only see his bad side in this story. The heroine jumped to the worst conclusions about his behavior and surprisingly wasn't attracted to a really nice guy.

The press stated that poisoned food from the heroine's bakery was the cause of death before the police confirmed how
Sapphyria
Silence of the Flans is about a murder that threatens to shut down the Emergency Dessert Squad. When one of Winnie Johnson's desserts is used as a murder weapon to poison a student she must figure out exactly what happened. The continued success of her business depends on it!

The Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery series has a most unique concept. Winnie uses a vintage ambulance as a dessert delivering service in what is a wonderfully different cozy setting. I was pulled in from the very beginning
« previous 1 3 next »

• Silence of the Jams (Down South Café Mystery #2)
  • Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #7)
  • Premeditated Peppermint (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #3)
  • Caramel Crush (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #9)
  • Toxic Toffee (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #4)
  • Death in Dark Blue (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #2)
  • When the Grits Hit the Fan (Country Store Mysteries #3)
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #11)
  • Hark the Herald Angels Slay (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)
  • Lethal Licorice (Amish Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Murder with Cinnamon Scones (Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #2)
  • Tart of Darkness (Chef-to-Go Mystery, #1)
  • Kneaded to Death (A Bread Shop Mystery #1)
  • Death By Pumpkin Spice (Bookstore Cafe Mystery, #3)
  • Live and Let Pie (A Bakeshop Mystery, #9)
  • Survival of the Fritters (Deputy Donut Mystery #1)
  • Muffin to Fear (Merry Muffin Mystery, #5)
Aka Elizabeth Lynn Casey.

While spending a rainy afternoon at a friend's house nearly forty years ago, Laura Bradford fell in love with writing over a stack of blank paper, a box of crayons, and a freshly sharpened number two pencil.

Those early attempts at the craft had her writing and illustrating stories for young children. Wise beyond her years, Laura saved her first writing attempt in a hand

An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery (3 books)
  • Éclair and Present Danger (An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #1)
  • Dial M for Mousse (An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #3)