Start by marking “Izzy Kline Has Butterflies” as Want to Read:
Izzy Kline Has Butterflies

Izzy Kline Has Butterflies

So many moments--big and small--make up a year, and Beth Ain chronicles them all in this heartwarming novel in verse, perfect for fans of Fish in a Tree and verse novels like Brown Girl Dreaming and The Crossover.

It's a new school year, and Izzy Kline is having some feelings. There are plenty of reasons for the butterflies in her stomach to flap their wings. There's a new
Published March 7th 2017 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Izzy Kline Has Butterflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Izzy Kline Has Butterflies

Karen O.
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this book. If you have a daughter in grades 3-5, have her read this. And if you ever were in grades 3-5, you should read it too. All about the small moments that make up a school year. Changing friendships, school projects, and the FOUR ANNOYING BOYS who are in every classroom everywhere. A funny, flawed, loving family with parents and a big brother you feel like you know in real life. Izzy's poetic voice is smart and lovely, sometimes silly, and totally relatable. A touching a ...more
Kate ☀️ Olson
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great novel in verse for grades 2-4. Loved it!
Kelly Gunderman
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Izzy Kline is going to fourth grade, and she's nervous about it. She spends her time wondering what the year is going to entail for her - who will be her friend? Will she get the lead spot in the school play? Will the things going on in her home go back to normal? Will the butterflies in her tummy settle down any time soon?

Izzy Kline Has Butterflies is a very well written book that tells the story of Izzy Kline
Kristen Picone
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thankful to have read an ARC of this book. Readers will fall in love with Izzy & root for her throughout the "small moments" of her 4th grade year. Izzy learns to navigate a new teacher, a sick friends, divorced parents, a teenage big brother, FOUR ANNOYING BOYS, among everyday joys and disappointments...all the while experiencing butterflies. Can butterflies be both troublesome and magical?
Mary Lee
Love that the main character is a fourth grader. (Note to writers -- not EVERY character needs to be twelve!)

Love that the story is told in "small moments."
Michal
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This book ended too soon! I demand a sequel!
Elly Swartz
Izzy Kline has Butterflies by Beth Ain is a beautiful book about the slivers of life. The story is woven in verse and shares Izzy’s unique sensibilities and view of the world as she navigates life’s big and small moments. The reader ultimately learns that butterflies can erupt from fear, but in times of pure joy, can also have a magic of their own. A heartwarming story about life's happy moments, frightening flashes and annoying boys that make up the life of a fourth grader.

I received an arc of
Scott Fillner
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novel in verse is sure to be read and reread in our 4th grade room. Filled with small moments and large ones, students will be able to make connections to their year. The main character Izzy is delightful and students will be able to make connections between their experiences which Izzy is going through. Another appealing thing about this novel, which will resonate in our room is the shorter, manageable chapters. Many students voice that they feel more confident as a reader when they can re ...more
Barbara
The start of a new school year is exciting for many students since they can't wait to see all that awaits them, but for fourth grader Izzy Kline, she is nervous because she doesn't know most of her classmates and has no close friends. Even while she makes friends with a new girl named Quinn Mitchell, she is fending off the teasing of Jackson Allen, who always seems to be in her way, and wishing she had a big part in the grade's performance of Free to Be...You and Me. And at home, things are awkw ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Ain, Beth Izzy Kline Has Butterflies 161 pages. Random House, 2017. $16.99. Language: G; Mature Content: PG; Violence: G.

Izzy shares her experiences and feelings about her fourth-grade year in short, stream-of-consciousness poems that start at the end of summer when she receives her room assignment card, and spans to the end of the school year when she shares the end-of-year note she's received from her teacher. Focusing on her school experiences with a teacher she's unsure about, previous best
Liz
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fourth grader Izzy Kline notices all the little things around her in fourth grade. Through poetic prose we get to know the thoughts and feeling of Izzy as she deals with her parents divorce, friendship trouble and taking big steps in building confidence in herself. Along the way, she takes notice of the butterfly feelings she experiences when certain events happen. Each butterfly feeling has a different meaning whether it's from nervousness, to excitement, to fear. It is evident that she comes t ...more
Ms. Yingling
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Izzy is wary of starting fourth grade and anxious about everything-- her parents' divorce, her older brother's pierced tongue and emotional distance, her friends at school.There are annoying boys, a class play (based on Free To Be...You and Me), and a best friend with a potentially serious health issue. Izzy manages to navigate these issues in a realistic way as the year progresses.

Novels in verse are a good way to offer impressions of events, and are fr
Elizabeth
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a sweet book written in verse. I enjoyed it and read it very quickly. I think it would be a perfect book for 3rd-5th grade girls. It taps into families, friendships, and what goes on in the mind of a 4th grade girl. I also think it’s a good introduction to this writing style. Most kids probably aren’t familiar with verse so this unique presentation will be attention grabbing for some and a turn off for others. Overall I enjoyed it for a quick read.
Judy G
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a children book and I read it thinking it was for teens since maybe I would get it for my nephew daughter. Its like poetry and very well done takes you into the life and the mine of a very young girl in I think fourth grade. She is dealing with real life issues and she is kind and strong. Its a wonderful book for a child and its pretty good for an adult too...

Judy
Amanda  Schreiber
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finished this sweet novel in verse today... Izzy is a funny girl looking to be a part of the 4th grade play. Her new teacher, the play & her parents recent divorce however are giving Izzy the butterflies... Told through short poems & small moments, readers will watch Izzy emerge from her cocoon and become a butterfly herself! #bookaday (46/100)
KWinks
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I admit I read things like this in order to recommend it to other readers. I mean, that's what a children's librarian DOES. So, while I found this to be sweet.....I don't know if it is enough of a work on its own. What I mean is the story eludes to other works that, if a reader is not familiar with them, can be off-putting and/or confusing. Maybe I'm the wrong age for this. Perhaps if I were older than I am and was currently raising a fourth grader then I could explain why Free to Be...You and M ...more
Britt
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry-and-verse
This verse didn’t work for me. I also found the characters lacking and maybe it all fell apart for me because I’m not familiar with Free to Be...You and Me? Not sure, but this just didn’t work for me at all.
Ireadkidsbooks
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I appreciated the form of this very readable book in verse. With brief vignettes and winking chapter titles, the collective small moments mark the passage of Izzy's year in fourth grade. Relateable incidents--from waning old friendships to bullying to skepticism about her dad's new girlfriend--reveal Izzy's insecurities as she processes those feelings. The story arc includes preparation for and a culminating performance of Marlo Thomas's superlative Free To Be You and Me, which, if nothing else, ...more
Debi
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book that chronicles all the ups and downs of a typical 4th grader's school year in a whimsical way. Not really lyrical, but also not quite prose. I enjoyed it.
Kelly
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute story. I love the creative way it was told. My 4th grade girls would love it. Maybe a book club choice...
Natalie Roche
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The first half of the book barely captured me, the second half was okay. Overall kinda blah
Debbie Armbruster
A sweet middle-elementary grades book. Younger than my usual fare, I picked this up to read prior to The Cure For Cold Feet.
Jill Farr
Jun 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
One star and that’s a gift.
Sweet novel-in-verse (although not quite as "versey" as some) about Izzy Kline - a fourth grader who's feeling a little nervous about school, friends, and life.
Molly Dettmann
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet little novel on verse about Izzy's year in 4th grade. From dealing with issues at home, to friendship, bullies, and the school play, many young readers will enjoy and relate to this book and the many "butterflies" in Izzy's story.
Melanie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Izzy Kline Has Butterflies is a charming new novel in verse from author Beth Ain that captures how a school year can feel like a series of small but important moments. It's these moments that tell Izzy's story--the good, the bad, and the butterflies that we feel as we grow up.

Izzy Klein is a character who's easy to love, and students will root for her as she navigates the challenges of fourth grade. Izzy's nervous--about friends, her new teacher, and changes at home--but she faces each new chall
Amanda Rehfeld
Summary (Early Chapter)
Izzy Kline's journey through fourth grade is one that is ever-changing. Through life's ups and downs, Izzy learns that feeling of butterflies in her stomach can be from good and bad things that happen. She learns that growing up means change. Change can be a good thing because it means you meet new people and make new best friends. She has to navigate how changing and growing up sometime means your friendships shift as well. She learns that when you get close to people, th
Ella
Aug 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Okay, I know everyone seems to love this book, but for some reason it really annoyed me.

First of all, WHY did it have to be written in stanzas? It just made it confusing for me. Also, what really bugged me was that whenever someone talked, it was in italics, not quotation marks!!! It drove me nuts through the whole book.

Then there's the whole thing about the plot. It seems like EVERY. SINGLE. KID'S BOOK. is written about the topics "divorce" and "friends." Why not chose something new, authors?!
Mary
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Clever to write in poem format but ordinary story of a fourth grade girl
Sue Poduska
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Follow a self-determined fourth grader as she deals with all the trials and tribulations of an entire school year – a year in which she learns a lot, but not always in class. Ain captures the voice perfectly. The verse style works well for a talkative fourth grader and should draw in even reluctant readers. Recommended for both girls and boys.
I was born in Hershey, Pennsylvania, but I got to grow up in Allentown, PA, where I lived across the street from my best friend, rode bikes after school, and got wet to my ankles in the creek in my neighborhood, trying to save frogs from being swept away.
Then some things like junior high and high school happened and I was a cheerleader and a soccer player and a math-homework-avoider and a soap-op