Start by marking “The Chupacabra Ate the Candelabra” as Want to Read:
The Chupacabra Ate the Candelabra

The Chupacabra Ate the Candelabra

Like most goats, Jayna, Bumsie, and Pep's greatest fear is being eaten for dinner by the legendary chupacabra. (It's common knowledge that goats are a chupacabra's favorite food!) One night, tired of living in fear, the impetuous goats whip out their trusty candelabra and head off to find the beast and scare it away before it can find them. Little do they know that candela ...more
Published March 7th 2017 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Chupacabra Ate the Candelabra, please sign up.
Erin Fullam My boys all loved it, my 7 year old and 5 year olds read it to themselves again at bedtime.

Start your review of The Chupacabra Ate the Candelabra
Mir
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mir by: Schultz Museum
Shelves: picture
CHUPACABRA CANDELABRA!

Yes, I am getting the book just for words in the title.

Also, THE CHUPACRABRA ATE THE CUCARACHA!

The goat dialogue was cute and funny. Otherwise nothing special.
Melki
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The chupacabra LOVES to eat. There are many favorite foods on his list. Three goats are afraid they might just be on the top of that list.

Colorful, cute fun - and the author manages to rhyme chupacabra with cucaracha!

Squee!
Lata
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vibrant illustrations of a trio of goats and an adorable chupacabra, who apparently likes candelabras. And cheese.
La Coccinelle
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a quirky little story about three goats who live in fear of a chupacabra. They decide they're going to scare him away so they won't have to worry about him anymore. They take their candelabra to light the way and head to the chupacabra's place. But before they can scare him off, he eats their candelabra! (Candelabras are his third-favourite food.) The rest of the story focuses on the goats trying to convince the chupacabra to eat something else--assuming, I guess, that goats are his very ...more
paula
Lots of personality and kicky wordplay in this new picture book from Marc Tyler Nobleman, who usually writes nonfiction for kids, but here proves to be equally adept at rolling out his silly side. Marvelous ultra-vivid illustrations by Mexico City-born Ana Aranda are textured, hot, kooky and just right.
Abigail
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Chupacabra Lovers / Fans of Ana Aranda's Artwork
Shelves: picture-books
When three goats - clever Jayna, nervous Bumsie and practical Pep - discover that a chupacabra is lurking in the neighborhood, the caprine companions decide to set out to confront their goat-eating adversary, rather than wait for him to come and find them. When the chupacabra eats their candelabra, declaring it his third favorite snack, the goats return home, hoping to find more light fixtures he might enjoy. When the chupacabra comes calling, only to be distracted by a delicious cucaracha, the ...more
Ryan
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
That was a fun and interesting book. The goats are scared of the chupacabra. Until they find out that his third favorite food is a candelabra, and his second favorite food is cucaracha. But don’t try to eat the two together. It’s like eating a peanut butter and sardine sandwich. Eweee. What is his favorite food? You’ll have to pick up this wacky book to find out.
Veronica Manthei
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good scary book for littles. Goats, monsters, makebelieve, cheese, food, eating.
Marissa Elera
The story is lacking, but the art makes up for it tenfold. Aranda's stunning paintings watercolor the sweet landscape in the most enchanting way. I wouldn't mind living in her watercolor world!
Stephanie
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read it in Spanish, it was worth it.
Scottsdale Public Library
Three goats have to think quick when they find out the Chupacabra is coming to dinner. A funny Spanglish book with amazing illustrations! Good for fans of Dragons Love Tacos. - Michelle V.
Cory
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong . . . I'm all about the chupacabra, but this book just didn't work for me. I feel like the author thought "Huh. Chupacabra and candelabra sound similar. I should write a book" and then never got around to coming up with anything else. The illustrations were cute, though, with the chupacabra's shadow being larger and more fearsome than he was.
Angela
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not since Skippy-Jon Jones have I been so entertained by a silly spanglish picture book. I laughed out loud.

This book won't be for everyone, but some of us...we will read it aloud and INSIST you find it funny, too!
Lauren Kramer
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Chupacabra Ate the Candelabra by Marc Tyler Nobleman follows three goats on their brave quest to meet the Chupacabra. Jayna knows that the Chupacabra loves to eat goats. Instead of waiting to be eaten, Jayna gathers his friends, Bumsie and Pep, to confront the Chupacabra.

Brandishing a candelabra to combat the darkness, the friends embark on their journey. When they reach the Chupacabra's house, the group is shocked when the Chupacabra sneaks out of the night and eats the candelabra. He soon
Jane
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
While I have lived in the Southwest for over 30 years I had not heard of the chupacabra, so my first step was to figure out what it is. My research discovered that a chupacabra is a mythical creature first reported in Puerto Rico. Apparently it is a vampire-like creature which sucks the blood of goats and other farm animals. After reading that my question is why write a children’s picture book about such a topic, but then I guess some children are interested in mythical creatures.

In The Chupacab
Aimee
Three goats, Bumsie, Jayna, and Pep were worried that the chupacabra that lived on the hill was getting hungry, hungry for them! Jayna had come up with a great plan, to take a candelabra and march up the hill and get the chupacabra before it got them. So up they marched and ran right into the chupacabra, who swallowed their candelabra whole. The terrified goats went back to their home to find more candelabras, his third favorite thing to eat. While they were searching the chupacabra came to tell ...more
Arminzerella
Becky B
Three goats try to satisfy the hunger of a chupacabra in ways that don't get them eaten.

This was a lot of fun. I like the fun with word sounds, and I love how nonplussed and straight forward Pep the goat is. Pep made me laugh several times. Chupacabras are an oft neglected mythical animal in the picture book world, so this will likely be a delightfully hilarious introduction to a not-so-scary one for most kids. I also like the vibrant art style that fits the topic quite well. Highly recommended
Monica
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
In case you were wondering (like I was), a chupacabra is a Latin American urban legend similar to a yeti or sasquatch that drinks the blood of animals especially goats. In fact, chupacabra means "goat killer". It isn't necessary to know this information to enjoy the story, but I think it is good to know in case kids ask. The story is quirky and funny. The illustrations are colorful and bright. Not only is this a great book to share at story time, it would be perfect for reader's theater.
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, children-s, 2017
I for one enjoyed this book a lot! Three goats are worried that the chupacabra is going to eat them. The end up feeding him his third and second favorite things - a candelabra and a cucaracha. The goats are terrified that they are going to be eaten for dinner and then they discover that the chupacabra's favorite thing is goat (wait for it!) cheese. Funny, excellent rhythm, perfect suspense, great colors in the vibrant illustrations.
Three little goats try to delay the inevitable by feeding the chupacabra (a mythological goat-eating creature from Mexico) cucurachas and candelabras. But in the end, they discover his real favorite food... (view spoiler)

Has a definite folktale feel with the three goats, the mythological "big bad wolf" creature, and the build up to the final discovery.
Jill Pickle
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
High-energy read aloud with super fun tongue twisting action. Also it's about a chupacabra!!!

The word length is slightly too long, which meant that the story had some trouble getting off its feet. But the payoff is worth it for the yelling of well-known Spanish words at the end: "...THE CUCARACHA!" Lol.
Andee
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book cracks me up. A character in Mexican folklore, the Chupacabra can be pretty scary. Luckily, these 3 goats can take care of themselves. Sometimes, you just need a book to make kids laugh. This fits the bill AND leads to a discussion about other characters we question are real; Big Foot, Nessie, etc.
Mackenzie Jager
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of word play, this Mexican-folk art inspired story follows goat friends decide the best way to avoid being eaten by the infamous chupacabra is to chase him down and scare him away. The art is vibrant and utterly unique. The writing is good, but I think the illustrations are what truly make this book stand out.
Air
Feb 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was cute enough, but I personally don't care for stories without a point. Nothing was taught or learned through this book, and there isn't really a story to follow. I would possibly suggest this to anyone looking for books for children under 2, but beyond that I am not sure when I would recommend this book.
Peacegal
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Groovy, silly, and colorful, this is a unique book that will catch kids' attention.

Vegan parents note: There's a great line in which a goat proclaims "how rude!" upon learning that the Chupacabra likes to eat goats. He suggests that the monster try veggies instead, which are healthier. However, at the end, goat cheese is suggested instead of eating goats.
Diana Colby
2017 Copyright date. I loved how the introduced the legendary tale of the chupacabra. It was a cute story about how the three goats try to keep the chupacabra from eating them. I loved the use of the Spanish words. I also liked the colors. 3/4
Brenda
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: favorite-books
Every time I hear chupacabra I have to read a story. This one, however, had potential to be a fun story but it got to be too long! I like the color in the illustrations. It has potential though. I feel like retelling it myself. I like the title.
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chupacabras like to eat... goats! Right? Maybe not... This book stands out in my recently-read pile of picture books (that I've mostly been disappointed in lately, frankly.) FUN and full of personality.
Heather Gunnell
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Staff Pick
Heather

The goats decide to scare off the chupacabra before he can eat them, but he eats their candelabra! What are they to do? What will save them from being next on the chupacabra's menu? Read on to see the cute conclusion to this tale.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Undefeated
  • Dude!
  • The Stuff of Stars
  • I'll Love You Till the Cows Come Home
  • The Perfect Siesta (Junior Library Guild Selection)
  • Monster's New Undies
  • Max Attacks
  • Bad Dog
  • I Am Neil Armstrong
  • Pandora
  • Mommy's Khimar
Marc Tyler Nobleman is the author of "Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman" (which inspired the Hulu documentary "Batman & Bill" and a TED Talk), "Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman," "The Chupacabra Ate the Candelabra," "Thirty Minutes Over Oregon: A Japanese Pilot's World War II Story" (Orbis Pictus Honor Book), "Fairy Spell: How Two Girls Convinced the World That Fairies Ar ...more

News & Interviews