Start by marking “Celine” as Want to Read:
Celine

Celine

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  6,513 ratings  ·  1,149 reviews
From the best-selling author of The Dog Stars and The Painter, a luminous, masterful novel of suspense--the story of Celine, an elegant, aristocratic private eye who specializes in reuniting families, trying to make amends for a loss in her own past.

Working out of her jewel box of an apartment at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge, Celine has made a career of tracking down mi
Audio CD, 12 pages
Published March 7th 2017 by Books on Tape

To ask other readers questions about Celine, please sign up.
Ogden i found the name changing a bit confusing at first...but the book is so good, i figured it out quickly ....and i often use different names for my…morei found the name changing a bit confusing at first...but the book is so good, i figured it out quickly ....and i often use different names for my friends depending on my mood....Barbara is often Babs or Babsy or doodles and my husband is Dan, Danny, Dad, Pops, etc....
I think it is pretty natural to use different names....and many adopted children call their parents mom and dad or ma and pa(less)

·  6,513 ratings  ·  1,149 reviews

Diane S ☔
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lor
3.5 Once again Heller presents us with a very interesting character. Céline, late sixties, uses oxygen for her emphysema, is a PI, specializing in uniting families, finding the missing. Why she does so is explained by her back story, and it is also why she agrees to take on a new case. A father missing for over twenty years, Paul a famed wildlife photographer, said to have been mauled and dragged by a grizzly outside of Yellowstone. No body, however, has ever been found.

Her character, as much as
Carol
Apr 07, 2017 added it
Shelves: fiction
The Hook - Having read, heard and enjoyed Peter Heller before, this is a natural for me. I will get to see him once again when I attend Booktopia 2017 in Manchester, Vermont.

The Line - ”Celine always rooted for the weak, the dispossessed, the children, for the ones who had no means or power: the strays and homeless, the hapless and addicted, the forlorn, the remorseful, the broken.“

The Sinker - Celine represents all the best of Heller’s writing style, knowledge and expertise. His passages that d
Cheri
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

”Celine had inherited the mantle of a family who had come on the first boat and worked hard and made good, and often the mantle chafed, and she was happiest when she took it off and tossed it on a hook with her beret.”

Celine begins one year and one day after the Twin Towers fell, filling the air with ashes, and despair. That May, her younger sister died, followed in July, her sister Bobby, the eldest followed. And now the Towers. Three months. Loss upon loss upon loss.

”Lying in bed that night w
Linda
"Like musicians who nod at each other before the final measures, they shared a long look that meant: That's all for now. This too shall be revealed."

Neither age, nor hacking emphysema, nor the footsteps of personal loss will shift the dog-earred determination of Celine Watkins. She and her husband/partner, Pete, have long ago set down roots near the Brooklyn Bridge. Celine is a crackerjack P.I. who has a better track record than the FBI in sniffing out the lost and waiting to be found.....be the
Donna
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'm going to dare call it a comfort read even though it's a literary work of fiction about loss, revolving around a mystery that was written by an author known for grittier work. So if you're looking for something intense like Heller's previous book, The Painter, you might be disappointed. But if you enjoy dry humor, beautifully descriptive writing, and characters you can care about who are fascinating, well-developed, and play off one another like instruments in ...more
Trish
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Peter Heller is completely his own man, his work unlike anyone else’s. Almost everything we love about a Peter Heller novel is here in spades: descriptions so fresh we can smell the creek water, glimpses of people so painterly a photograph would ruin the image, a manly strength and confidence that gives his main character a tiny swagger when confronting mother bears, bad-ass motorcyclists, or CIA operatives with orders where their hearts used to be.

Heller places a woman at the helm of the story
Emily
I loved The Dog Stars and was lukewarm about The Painter. It was hard for me to really care about the protagonist of the latter, Jim Stegner, a swashbuckling tortured artist who is irresistible to younger women and lands in an unrealistic, drawn-out sequence of events that he could have easily avoided by being less of a dick. But I still loved pieces of Heller's writing. He truly excels at writing about the West and its landscapes.

So I was really excited to see that Heller wrote a novel about a
Elisa
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm clearly in the minorty here, but there is way, way too much character information through endless flashbacks, and not nearly enough present day plot. I'm halfway through, and it's losing me fast
Jill
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Peter Heller has a knack for taking a specific literary genre and placing his own unique spin on it. In Dog Stars, a postapocalyptic tale, he literally blew me away with his elegiac spin that elevated this to one of my favorite contemporary books. Again in The Painter, he takes the framework of a contemporary Western and provides a satisfying and nuanced look at an artist and fly fisherman capable of revenge and redemption.

This time, he tackles the private eye genre with the most unlikely of PIs
Julie Christine
I'm just going to lay this straight out. About three-quarters of the way in, the date current to the story is referenced. It's 2002. I nearly threw Celine at the wall. By this point, Celine, a septuagenerian private eye, and her husband have been making extensive use of their smartphones and combing Yellowstone for wifi hotspots as they sleuth the whereabouts of a National Geographic photographer allegedly killed by a grizzly bear decades before.

We were still using flip phones and BlackBerry in
Erica
I stuck through to the end and came away with the aftertaste of bitter disappointment.
If you've been hearing the catchphrase "white privilege" but are unsure what that means, this book will define it for you. It's an incredible middle class white people fairy tale.

photo NOTamused_zps9b58f141.png

(view spoiler)
☮Karen
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Celine was a young girl, her father left the family and it had quite an impact on her life, of course. She eventually became a private investigator with a goal to help put families back together, those who want to find a parent or child missing for whatever reason. It is through her vocation that she meets Gabriela who wants to hire her to see if her father, gone 20+ years and possibly killed by a park grizzly, is actually dead or alive. The two women's stories intermingle, past and present ...more
Beverly
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A tough, aristocratic private investigator in her late 60s, can I get an "Amen!"? She takes no guff and backs down bikers. I loved this book and it has a good mystery too.
Kathy
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg! I loved Dog Stars, I liked The Painter, but I am head over heels in love with Celine! She is the most fascinating character you will ever meet - I truly want Heller to continue her story, her mother's story, her son's story - I want more of everything! This is the most wonderful book - I will recommend, nay PUSH, it onto everyone I meet! Beautifully written - readers will simultaneously want to slow down and savor the language and speed up to see what comes next! Wonderful!
Robin
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Peter Heller's books and of course I couldn't wait to dive into his newest "Celine." As much as I couldn't wait to see what happened, Heller's writing is like a beautiful composition that unfolds in language as beautiful as the natural world his characters are immersed in. It's storytelling at its finest. I loved Celine - a bad-ass 60+ year old artist who is also a private investigator. Celine's spark and energy for life can at times be stalled by her emphysema but never wavers. ...more
Pat
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4 stars

Celine is the type of person I would love to meet and know. She works as a private investigator and only accepts a handful of cases. Her primary focus is reuniting family members. In this novel a daughter believes that her father did not die years ago from a grizzly bear attack and hires Celine to find out the truth - or at least evidence of his demise. This leads Celine and her husband on an adventure to uncover the truth.

Based on Peter Heller's Mom.
Lorna
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-york
Celine is quite the story of a sixtyish, stylish and extremely capable female detective in New York City specializing in the reuniting of families, largely driven by her own haunted past. In the hands of author Peter Heller, who has an amazing facility with words captivating one, not only with his beautiful descriptions but sharp dialogue, Celine comes to life in the most riveting way as she becomes involved in investigating the disappearance of a National Geographic photographer twenty years ag ...more
Claire Fuller
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I read half of Celine (I think if you're going to write a review you have to have read a substantial amount of a book), and I can't finish it. It just isn't for me. Heller is trying too hard to be cutesy, and I'm not enjoying the authorial voice commenting on everything. I've just got to a section where Celine (a 65ish PI) comes across a girl crying on a bench. 'Break-up?' Celine says, and then sits beside her and gives her all sorts of folksy wisdom which the girl laps up. I think Heller knows ...more
Kirkstl1gmail.com
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just a few chapters in and trying to slow down.

I could happily spend hours exploring just one paragraph -any paragraph- in this book, all vivid, lush, lyrical, evocative. But this mystery doesn't wait and I speed ahead.

I'm torn between the destination and the wonders along the way.

And that's just the start.

JT

Jess
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
So the protagonist is a 68-year-old petite former socialite turned macabre sculptor and private eye specializing in reuniting birth families. She has a touch of emphysema, she’s a crack shot with just about any firearm known to man, she likes designer clothes, and she’s devoted to her taciturn Mainer of a husband (something to which I can relate).

In other words, this book had me at hello.

And then it smiled and I saw the big wad of spinach between its teeth. I was still charmed, but… distracted
3.5 stars. This is a beautifully written thriller with a lot of back story about the lead detective. Mysteries are probably my favorite genre. This one had a gripping story, which I really enjoyed. There was quite a lot of interruption of the missing person case as we went back to Celine's childhood, young adulthood, etc. Celine is a fascinating character and her backstory is just as interesting, but I found the interruptions a bit distracting.

Having said that, though, if you're looking for a l
Linda
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mystery with multiple layers. Seems everyone is looking for a father: Celine, Gabriela, and Celine's son. All are lost, some are found. Or are they?
At first a little confusing about who is who, but I got it. Too many questions left unanswered for this to be a solitary volume. What about that Peter Heller? Is a follow-up volume coming?
Onceinabluemoon
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5. Rating books are very subjective, but this book fit my mood perfectly today. I read with no knowledge of its subject or genre, just picked up early on a foggy morn and stepped between the pages. I didn't know it was a mystery, I just got lost in the pages without always trying to solve the book in the first 50 pages. It was refreshing for me not to think, just experience. Having lived and traveled the geographic areas I was serenely reminiscing, for me this book had a quiet strength I reall ...more
Truman32
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems sometimes that mystery stories that have really great characters get so focused on these great characters they neglect the story (for your consideration: the Archy McNally mysteries written by Lawrence Sanders in the 1990’s and written by Lawrence Sanders’ ghost in the 2000’s). Compelling, delightful, funny characters do not always equal compelling, delightful, funny stories though many times their star power –like that of Hollywood funny man Adam Sandler—can carry a paper-thin plot and ...more
Celine has been billed as the "P.I. in Prada" by her college alumni magazine. Celine is in her late 60s, grew up in France and even though she struggles with emphysema, she is still a sure shot with a gun. The magazine profile emphasizes that Celine works mainly to reunite families...to find missing parents or children. Gabriella contacts Celine to find Paul Lamont, her famous Nat Geo photographer father, who was declared killed by a bear near Yellowstone 20 some years ago. He also might have be ...more
Jana
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this book could talk, it would tell me: "Don't hate me because I'm not The Dog Stars."

This book is great! It entertained my husband immensely with the setting in his beloved Rocky Mountain area. Then it entertained me (because hubs stole it and got to read it first ;-) The writing is stellar, as always. It's Peter Heller so that is a given. Celine is a very developed character and it's interesting to get glimpses of her past to add to our appreciation of the older person she is in the story.
Bonnie Brody
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Celine is a gracious, upper class woman who was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and has 'WASP' oozing from every pore. She is close to 80, handles a gun like a pro, wheezes from emphysema, and is married to Pete who is mostly silent but steady. They are deeply in love despite their years.

Celine is an artist and private eye. As an artist, she makes eerie and weird sculpture-like forms, mostly consisting of bones of dead animals. As a private eye, she likes to help reunite families and doesn
Mary Lins
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: complete
Peter Heller, who won my heart with, "The Dog Stars", has penned a new novel, "Celine". The eponymous Celine Watkins is in her late 60s, a 30-year former smoker with emphysema, a vegetable-loather, a Private Investigator and an artist. She was born into money; on the Social Register, grew up in Paris and New York. Now she concentrates her PI practice on "lost causes" and cold cases. Enter Gabriella Lamont, a fellow alumna from Sarah Lawrence. Gabriella comes to Celine with an old mystery that in ...more
Marialyce
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was another great book by Peter Heller. Our wonderful protagonist, Celine, a Boston blue blood, and her husband Peter, together search for the father of a young woman. Celine has had quite the life and her job as a Private Investigator is not one we expect those raised with a silver spoon in their mouths to pursue. Yet, Celine, now an "mature" woman has the spirit, the know how, and the moxie to take on the toughies of the world and to take them on with grace and aplomb. The book is gloriou ...more
J.K. Grice
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was my second Peter Heller book, and again, I really enjoyed his characters and his writing style. If you like the way John Irving USED to write, I think you would like Heller.
  • High Country Nocturne
  • Queen Anne's Lace (China Bayles #26)
  • Figures in a Landscape: People and Places
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • A Cold White Sun (Constable Molly Smith #6)
  • Flashover (Georgia Skeehan, #2)
  • Beware Beware (Juniper Song, #2)
  • Suffer the Children (Gardiner and Renner #4)
  • The Château
  • Nighttown (Junior Bender, #7)
  • Worse Than Myself
  • Fallen Into the Pit (The Felse Investigations #1)
  • Take Out
  • The Hearts of Men
  • Sinister and Fatal: The Guinevere Jones Collection Volume 2
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #8)
  • Things Fall Apart (Supervolcano, #3)
  • Quiet Neighbors
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Peter Heller holds an MFA from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop in both fiction and poetry. An award-winning adventure writer and longtime contributor to NPR, Heller is a contributing editor at Outside magazine, Men’s Journal, and National Geographic Adventure, and a regular contributor to Bloomberg Businessweek. He is also the autho
“No: Human beings, by orders of magnitude, remained the most vicious animal on the planet.” 27 likes
“One thing Pete had learned over the years as a participant in so many disparate cultures, and as a family historian, is that almost nothing that can be imagined is impossible, and that, in fact, most of those things, in one form or another, have occurred. Scary really.” 5 likes