Start by marking “Deductions (Aberrant Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deductions (Aberrant Magic, #1)

Deductions

(Aberrant Magic #1)

Darren is proud of his work on the FBI’s magical Talent unit. However, his own lack of magic means he can never be with Supervisory Special Agent and Shaman Kavon Boucher. The shamanic magic poses a real danger to any mundane who gets too close, so Darren tries to hide his attraction and keep a professional relationship at work. That resolve begins to crumble when a new ma ...more
Published June 21st 2016 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Deductions, please sign up.
Lyn Gala I have already written three books. I do have ideas for more, but I struggle to write sequels, so I can't promise anything past the four. I'm still…moreI have already written three books. I do have ideas for more, but I struggle to write sequels, so I can't promise anything past the four. I'm still struggling to write more Claimings and Turbulence (and generally failing)(less)
Lyn Gala Unfortunately, I haven't even seen the next cover yet. However, this one is so good that I"m assuming it's going to be equally as stunning.

Sheziss
***DNF 42%***

This book is not what I expected it to be, and that’s partly why I left it unfinished. Yes, I guess it’s my fault, I expected a romance, a love story. What I found instead is a magic rulebook.

Not my cuppa.

It was not a pleasant surprise.

I wanted to read something different from Lyn Gala. I love her Claimings series with a rabid passion. She writes in a way that keeps me interested… but the contents of this book couldn’t hold my attention for long.

For starters, the novel begins when
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Too much information, too little depth*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The book centers around mundane Darren Oberton (early thirties) and his Supervisory Special Agent and Shaman Kavon Boucher (40). Because Shamans are dangerous to get close to mundane, Kavon has pulled back from Darren by being cold. As Darren was the only mundane on a team of all-Talent federal agents he struggles a bit to fit in, yet all this changes when Darren suddenly has magic. However, he can't focus on that, there's a killer on the loo
Gigi
Paranormal books are outside of my usual contemporary comfort zone, but I love Lyn Gala's work and I'm always looking to expand my reading horizons.

First off, this is not a romance. It is listed as LGBTTQ, Multicultural, Fantasy & Paranormal, Urban Fantasy so know that this isn't a romance going in. The book does focus on two men who eventually have a sexual relationship, but any romance doesn't happen until the last chapter. And the best way to describe their relationship is that they are "
Jenni Lea
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it

What a great new adventure!

As always, Lyn Gala has created a fascinating world filled with action and adventure mixed with humor and engaging dialogue. I look forward to seeing where she takes us next on this wild ride.
Ami
Engaging read that is a mix of paranormal, adventure, buddy-action of FBI team, and good romance. I enjoyed the world-built of shamans, adepts, spirit planes, and spirit guides. Took a while to understand everything but I decided to go with the flow and enjoyed the explanation of how things work.

I thought the reveal of the villain and the motive was coming a little bit out of nowhere, though. So, the mystery lover in me wasn't as satisfied.

But in overall, it was a great start of a new series an
Lyn Gala
Jun 21, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
How would you like to be in one of my books? I’m doing a different sort of contest for Aberrant Magic. Comment here or on my Facebook post announcing this contest (https://www.facebook.com/lyn.gala/pos...), and you can have a character in Aberrant Magic 3: Divergence named after you. To enter, tell me something about Aberrant Magic 1. You can tell me anything. Who is your favorite character? What are you hoping for in book two, which comes out next month? What shocked you? You can even tell me w ...more
Kaje Harper
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book begins a bit slowly, with a lot of world-building amid the action. The AU in which this is set has an established presence of Talented magic users, once persecuted but now a protected group, amid a mostly mundane population. Some are shamans, who either focus their magic via crystals and spells, or who, through a near-death experience, reach the spirit realm and find a spirit guide to help them and channel their abilities. Others are adepts, who balance out, add power and keep safe the ...more
~Volha~
I enjoyed reading this book very much. The world Lyn Gala created in her book is amazing and wonderfully complex. It got my imagination going and gave food for thoughts. The whole idea of magic users and the prejudice against them is and can be very close to reality. Unfortunately, people get defensive and angry at something that is different, something they don't understand. In this case magic users aka shamans and their possible sidekicks adepts come under fire and extreme hostility for being ...more
Raj
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of anime so any hint of a spirit animal is going to send me head first into a book that is teeming with them.The humans that populate the book are not too bad either although there are a couple evil ones swimming about that need drowning.

This book got my immediate high five halfway through & that good feeling did not diminish as I devoured the final word.Sex scenes in a book of this nature are more profound & intense when limited & the author certainly knows how to wea
☙ percy ❧
me: hmmm idk if i'm getting into this
book: here is a bird
me: BEAUTIFUL. MAGNIFICENT. MAGNUM OPUS. 5 STARS

okay in all seriousness though, here's my verdict.

i wasn't quite connecting with the story or the characters at the beginning, which is why i knocked off a star. but once it got going - boy did it get going! the slow burn and angst of the romance was also perfectly proportioned.

i often say i like slow burns but too often they are too slow (throwback to that one book i read that had their fir
Seeilin
Agents - Check
Witty banter - Check
Mystery/Detective work - Check
Great cast - Check
Best MC's ever - double check!
Sexual Tension - that's my middle name - check

And so much more!
I was hooked from the very beginning and I can't praise this book enough.
I also can't wait for book 2&3, so there's that :P
There are only two sex scenes, but to be honest - that felt great. I'm not a fan of "oh-we-just-met-and-let's-not-talk-about-stuff-but-have-sex-rig
Lilia Ford
The beginning of this was a little rough--it took me three tries to get into it--but by the time we finally get Kavon's first POV chapter, it had bloomed into a compelling, wonderfully written page-turner. The world-building is really first class here--I was absolutely fascinated by everything to do with Shamans and spirit animals, as well as the other types of magic use, which create a remarkably rich, filled out world. And then of course was Gala's amazing ability to evoke a supercharged dynam ...more
Bibliophile
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
UPDATE: Re-read 9/8/18 in order to better orient myself before reading book #3. My rating still stands. This was a fun read!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I read this book on my plane ride today. Overall, I enjoyed this book. It took me a few pages (10? 25?) to wrap my head around the world being created in this story, but once it made sense, this turned into a fun, interesting, and engaging read.

I'm too braindead to write a decent review here tonight, so I'll simply direct you to read Kaje Harper's review
Line
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Okay so I had to keep my brain turned on for this book.
Lyn Gala has created a really cool universe with magic, but the way it is explained and used in the book was -for me- quite confusing at times.

So Darren is the only full human (mundane) working for the FBIs top Talent (magic) team.
As I understand it magic comes from the spirit plane, where shaman's connect with a spirit guide (Kavon's is a bull) to focus their magic. The spirit guide will represent the personality of the magic user, and the
Daesy
**grm**

I had this series on my "to read" list for many months(probably years), bcs usually I want to have all the books, pratically the full series, before reading it, since the cliffhangers are a pain in the... well u know.
I must say that this series was a surprise and I really liked this first book. The world building is great and sure maybe there isn't a lot of romance, or to better say u must read btw the lines to see it, but I still fell in love with the MCs. Darren my poor baby! sometimes
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The Romance Review

How have I just read this book now? Always a fan of Ms. Gala's stories, this new to me series is one I love.

In this urban fantasy with a bit of m/m romance, the story pulls me in hard and fast. Darren is a "mundane" who works in a special unit within the FBI. This unit contains all people with magic, except for him. He's the only human and tends to be a liaison because humans don't trust "others". Darren excels at his job but there is just one problem. He has a crush on his boss, Kavon Boucher
Jeanne 'Divinae'
I had only meant to start this book and read a bit here and there. Well, that didn't happen. I ended up throwing all my other plans out the window after work and finished it. It was captivating, as all of Ms Gala's books are (that I have read). This one was no exception. I felt a connection with the characters, and the world building was easy for me to imagine.

We have Darren, who just an ordinary human, a mundane. He gave up hope of having magic now that he is older(he's in his thirties) but he
Meep
Apr 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I struggled with this. Read the blurb and snatched it up already know how well Lynn Gala can handle world-building, so I thought. Unfortunately this was a great idea handled badly. All tell. Repetitive info-dumps.

Shamans this, shamans that, shamans- shamans-SHAMANS, oh wait plot bit, more shaman-shaman, new powers, shaman-SHAMAN-shaman, remember that plot thing? nah me neither shaman-SHAMAN-shaman, something with someone plus shaman-shaman, sex - with shamans, plot um solved - maybe?

The world co
Daphne
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, m-m-read
I'm struggling with how to review and rate this one. Lyn Gala's world building is always top notch and this book is no different. Because there was so much information to impart at the beginning of this series, it was hard to follow and retain it all. I'm pretty sure I got the big concepts - shamans, spirit guides, other forms of magic users, specialized FBI team tracking baddies using same, but the various team members blended a bit.

Our MCs, Darren and Kavon, were essentially colleagues for th
HaloLove
Awesome Fantasy Sci-Fi

“I’m not leaving until I have some way to help, so if you go all silent, I am fully capable of sitting here until I die just to spite you.” <----- awe...love...lol

This story is the prime example of an mm romance wrapped up in a fantastic plot full of action, deceit, magic, trust, unrequited love, friendship, and bonded mm love.

If you've read any of my previous reviews you'll know I not a big fan of erotica but for those who are you do get a couple of those scenes but th
Charlotte
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Lyn Gala has a great talent to create worlds/alternate universes that just drags you in and you become hooked! Loved the way the two main characters interacted in both their relationship and on the job. It's one of those stories where you wish you could read 'just a bit more, please!', because you know once you reach the end of the book you have to put it down until the next instalment is written.

I am delighted to say that this book is a great beginning to her new series "Aberrant Mag
Alison
I couldn't put it down. As I expect of Ms Gala, the world was complex, the characters real yet lovable, and the story riveting. I can't recommend this one enough.
Paul
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS
This is going to be a fantastic UF trilogy if book #1 is anything to go by.
It's also currently on sale at loose i.d for $2.99 8th July 2016. Aussie time.
K
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
4.5 stars rounded up

Don't let the info dump at the start of this - and the many different characters and their talents - put you off. Anyone who has read Lyn Gala's other Sci-fi series (Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts) will know that she's good at world building, and the start of this series is no exception.

In an alternative, possibly slightly future, earth, where magic exists, Darren is the "mundane" member of an FBI team of mixed magic users - including the boss, Kavon, who is a Sh
Jane
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I rather enjoyed Urban Shaman and was looking forward to this book, hoping for a similar experience. I worked out fairly early that the world of this story is NOT the same as Urban Shaman and, sadly, not as well done.

A lot of clunky exposition, needless repetition (to the point I nearly stopped reading after about the sixth or seventh time I was told about the connections between a shaman and adept) and two dimensional characters (we're only ever told about them, not really shown any personality
Alicia Nordwell
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't really like a lot magic or FBI themes, but I LOVED the alternate Earth Lyn created in Deductions. So in-depth and yet not too much detail to bog down the story as it flowed from start to finish. I can't recommend it enough!
Jax
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star, dnf
I found this very tedious, a repetitious muddle with clunky worldbuilding. There’s a lot of explaining and very little action or romance. DNF@51%
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.7 Stars

I really liked the story, the characters and how the use of magic in this book was absolutely nothing like the mystical/paranormal books I've read recently. That was way cool. However...

For years I've read comments from reviewers all over GR about how it didn't feel like a certain couple had chemistry or whatnot in such-and-such book and for the most part, I was confused by that because I didn't have that experience or just wasn't seeing it. Unfortunately, I totally get what they meant
LD  Durham
Jul 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish, dnf
None of this made sense on a character or organizational aspect. When Darren suddenly gets powers, he just seems to take it in stride. Not even in an adult stride, but in a preteen stride. He works with all these magic users and seemed fairly clueless. And when Kavon and others were getting mad at him for not following the rules for the powers he got, literally, hours ago, threatening to sanction him and such for not having control over them, I was done with the book.
Of course Darren was super
Jamilla_
This. Was. Awesome!
The world building is on point. There's magic! Unrequited love turned...er, requited? Bad guys! Mystery! Wall-banging! Cute& bratty vs. Strong silent type.
What more could a girl want?!
It isn't really a romance, per say,however, there are romantic elements, but the focus of the story is on solving several related missing person cases,nevertheless, I can't wait for the next part!!! Like seriously, when's it coming out?
Recommended reading y'all.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Quinn's Gambit (AURA, #1)
  • The 13th Hex (Hexworld, #0.5)
  • Hell Cop
  • Winter Winds
  • The Protector (Guardsmen, #1)
  • A Counselor Among Wolves (Leader Murders, #2)
  • A Beginner's Guide to Wooing Your Mate (Beings in Love #3)
  • Killing Time
  • Truth and Consequences (The Sixth Sense #3)
  • Devil Take Me
  • The Necromancer's Dance (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #1)
Lynsey "Lyn" Gala started writing in the back of her science notebook in third grade and hasn’t stopped since. Westerns starring men with shady pasts gave way to science fiction with questionable protagonists which eventually gave in to any story with a morally ambiguous character. Even the purest heroes have pain and loss and darkness in their hearts, and that’s where she likes to find her storie ...more

Aberrant Magic (6 books)
  • Derivation  (Aberrant Magic, #2)
  • Divergence (Aberrant Magic, #3)
  • Echoes of Deviance (Aberrant Magic, #4)
  • Mafia and Magics (Aberrant Magic, #5)
  • Texas Charm (Aberrant Magic, #6)
“less would distract Boucher from an active case. Boucher leaned over Darren’s” 0 likes