Start by marking “When God Made You” as Want to Read:
When God Made You

When God Made You

YOU, you... God thinks about you.
God was thinking of you long before your debut.

From early on, children are looking to discover their place in the world and longing to understand how their personalities, traits, and talents fit in. The assurance that they are deeply loved and a unique creation in our big universe is certain to help them spread their wings and fly.

Throug
Published February 28th 2017 by Waterbrook Press

Start your review of When God Made You
Matthew Paul Turner
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it. So, I think it's awesome.
Nora St Laurent
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
David Catrow is an imaginative illustrator I adore. He is a master at splashing fun throughout this adorable picture book with a powerful message. This writer and illustrator team help make memorable moments for parents and child.
I never forget books that this illustrator has created.

This book helps generate a dialogue between parent and child; about how God has a plan for their life and how it changes as the child grows and explores the world around them.

The author writes, “Cause when God made
Kristin
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Powerful words, especially for children with special needs.  This book is so beautifully written and illustrated.  The words went straight to my heart.  Through this book, I was able to open dialogue with my child about how special she is. God didn't make a mistake when he made her little body.  Even though her body works differently than other children her age, God had a plan and he knew that the world needed her.

When God made YOU, somehow God knew
That the world needed someone exactly like you
Tima
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Children are so curious about the world around them. But they also wonder about themselves. Are they special? Why are they different from everyone else? Who made them? The author and illustrator worked closely together to create a book that tells and shows children exactly why they are the way they are and who designed them to be that way. Each page is completely covered in illustration while the lyrical words fit on each page to match.

My kids loved this book and so did I. The illustrations ar
Jamie
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This book is beautiful in every way and the world needs to read it. Especially the littles :)
Beth Erin
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review on Faithfully Bookish 3/12/17

This book celebrates the everyday while challenging children to continue learning and growing into the person they are created to be. Most importantly, it emphasizes God's love for each individual child.

When God Made You is a bookish treasure to share with each uniquely special child in your life.

I requested the opportunity to read and review this book through Blogging for Books. The opinions expressed are my own.
K
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"God smiles and here's why - in the spark of your eye,
A familiar reflection shines bright from inside.
'Cause when God made you
and the world oohed and aahed,
in heaven they called you an image of God.
You, you, and when God dreams about you,
God dreams about all that in you will be true."
Matthew Paul Turner

There are so many charming children's books available today, but few celebrate the individuality and uniqueness of children in the same way that When God Made You does. It is a beautifully illustr
Mary Foxe
This was a pleasant little picture book telling children essentially what most Christian books say. "God made you special and he loves you very much." (Veggietales.) It has pretty pictures and a kind message. What makes this book stand out is that the protagonist is a POC. I think this is the first time I have ever seen a Christian picture book do this. How this has not happened before, I do not know, but thank you Lord that there now is one. I hope to see more like it so when my students who ...more
Shannon
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It is aimed at preschool age children, although the publisher has ages 3-7 listed and I think that is pretty accurate. This is also a book I feel could be used in both your home and in a Sunday School or Children in Worship environment.The illustrations are incredibly beautiful and the extremely colorful. They also have a very "flowly" quality to them. All of the characters in the book and illustrations are quite diverse, which is something I don't think we see a lot of in chi ...more
Stephanie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, heartwarming, encouraging, diverse. All the things I love about children's books all rolled into one. I usually don't love the Christian children's books I buy as they are usually bland and preachy. This one is anything but. Matthew somehow reached into my heart and wrote all of the words I say to my girls daily. But in a much more beautiful way. Buy it now. ...more
BookzBookzBookz
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful! It tells how you were known, long before you stepped foot into the world. The illustrations, the people- it was incredible. Books like this one are why I enjoy children's book reviews so much. Turner and Catrow created a masterpiece in this book! ...more
Elle
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet way of teaching my little girl she was created on purpose with purpose and I absolutely love that although the author and illustrator are white men that they used an African American child (depicted beautifully) to convey this message. Representation matters and I'm so thankful my little girl can see herself reflected in this book all about self love because God loved ourselves first. ...more
Rebecca
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"God pictured your nose and all ten of your toes. The sound of your voice? God had it composed."

How beautiful is that?

With its outstanding artistic illustrations and poetic cadence, this lovely children's book is a reminder to young and old alike, that "God's family without you would not be the same".

Enjoy every page.
Edshara
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We read this one, at least once a day, and the little one loves it!
Amanda
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
As parents we are constantly looking for inspirational, motivating, God-centered books for our children to encourage them along. I was optimistic when I saw this book from Matthew Paul Turner - The back of the book reads:

YOU, you...God thinks about you. God was thinking of you long before your debut.
Faye
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vibrant and brimming with fantastical illustrations that take flight with vivid and colorful beauty that compliment the uplifting poem perfectly. The encouraging verses follow a young girl as she shines, basking in knowing that God made her unique and talented to bring glory to Him.

This a great book to share with youngsters, and would make a fantastic, encouraging gift to celebrate an accomplishment, or simply to encourage someone. I loved the bright illustrations that matched perfectly with the
Maddie Shirley
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book talks about the special gifts that God has given each person and that God has a perfect plan for each person’s life. This book helps children understand that they are a unique creation, even in a big world.
This book is a religious picture book as it addresses God as a creator. This book reinforces Christian themes of God and his plan for people’s lives.
The illustrator uses bright, fun, vibrant colors. This complements the story as the author talks about creativity and uniqueness. The
Ryan
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I wanted to read this book because David Catrow is my FAVORITE illustrator. He can even make the preamble to the Constitution entertaining. Normally I would not pick up this book because I do not read religious books. That being said, yes God is mentioned, but no other religious stuff. And God shows up in multiple religions. This book tells a kid that they were thought out. That someone picked the personality, the likes and dislikes, etc. That it is okay to be you. The rhyming is great and has a ...more
Melanie Kilsby
Wonderful!

LOVE the Illustrations and poetic beauty this books displays.
I also adored the diversity of the characters portrayed and the honest look at how God creates us.
Such a timely and beautiful message to have children know and understand early on their lives: They are loved, thought about, seen, dreamt about and adored by God! That we are made in the image of God and shouldn't be afraid to Glorify Him with our creativity or imagination!
Kayleen
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-that-i-won
I won this book as a giveaway on Goodreads. I loved it! And I know my granddaughter will love it as I entered the giveaway for her. The book is beautifully written and will make a child (and adults) know how much God loves them as He made each person to be unique. It is beautifully illustrated as well. I know my granddaughter will love the bright, beautiful pictures.
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, childrens
I absolutely love this children's book by Matthew Paul Turner. It contains beautiful truth that children (and all of us!) need to hear, accompanied by beautiful illustrations. I have bought this book for several of my friends' children and they have all loved it. ...more
Hannah McIver
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture Book
Awards:
Audience: 3-7 years old
This book emphasises the unique identity we were all given through abstract illustrations and well put together text. Children are reminded that God made them to be their own specific individual and this gives them purpose to find their place in the world.
This book is categorized as an Easy-to-read book because there is a small amount of words per page with simple language.
Abstract illustrations tell the story of God’s unique design with bright,
Kim
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
The illustration in this book was beautiful. Lots of colors and wonderful art! But the words I feel are to big for a child and I don't believe they would know what many of them mean. I got this from the library to see if I wanted to buy it for my granddaughter. In fact when I read it to her I made up my own words so she would understand what the author was trying to say. ...more
Caitlin Kramer
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and story! The words roll off the tongue and have an engaging rhythm. My 5 year old still gasps at the beauty of some of the illustrations when I turn the page. We LOVE this book.
Kenneth Livingston
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great children's book. I got it for all of my nieces. ...more
Abigail Bowne
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am thankful for it's focus on loving others. ...more
Molly
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's such a joy to read this to my girls. ...more
Amber
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I wish I had as a little girl. It’s so important for children to know they aren’t some random mistake, but instead a precious creation with unique attributes and abilities. The illustrations are breathtakingly beautiful. I love everything about it.
Jalynn Patterson
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

YOU, you... God thinks about you.
God was thinking of you long before your debut.
Through playful, charming rhyme and vivid, fantastical illustrations, When God Made You inspires young readers to learn
Vera Godley
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! A visually engrossing read about how God knows all about you and that He made you. He made you for a purpose and gifted you with each of your personal attributes.

The illustrations leap with joy from the page as the characters are colorfully splayed across the pages finding how God has a purpose and plan for them and uniquelly fitted them for that plan.

Awash in soft pastels from every color of the rainbow the pages are beautifully illustrated with charming, exuberant, happy critters an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Psalms of Praise: A Movement Primer
  • We're Different, We're the Same
  • Antiracist Baby
  • Nanette's Baguette
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
Matthew Paul Turner has made his mark as a force in the Christian children's book publishing market. With his unmatched gift for rhyme blended with deliberate messages of hope and empowerment, Turner's books When God Made You and When God Made Light have become bedtime favorites for families across America. His latest anticipated release is When I Pray for You, which will debut in February 2019.

T

News & Interviews

“That you – God`s YOU – will be hopeful and kind, a giver who lives with all heart, soul and mind.
A dreamer who dreams in big and small themes, one who keeps dreaming in journeys upstream.
A mover, a shaker, a lover of nature.
A builder of bridges, you, the peacemaker.
A you who vies others as sisters ad brothers an lives by three words: love one another.
A confident you, strong and brave too.
You being you is God`s dream come true.”
0 likes
A mover, a shaker, a lover of nature.
A builder of bridges, you, the peacemaker.
A you who views others as sisters ad brothers and lives by three words: love one another.
A confident you, strong and brave too.
You being you is God`s dream come true.”
0 likes