Start by marking “Olivia Helps with Christmas” as Want to Read:
Olivia Helps with Christmas

Olivia Helps with Christmas

(Olivia #5)

Everyone's favorite Caldecott honor-winning pig and #1 Santa enthusiast is helping to make the season brighter than ever.

Christmas is coming, and Olivia is incredibly busy. She has to wait for Santa, make sure dad sets up the tree, wait for Santa, watch mom make the Christmas dinner, wait for Santa, oversee the care with which the stockings are hung and, of cou
Published October 2nd 2007 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Olivia Helps with Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia Helps with Christmas

Jessica
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How have I not reviewed this before? This is one of our all time favorite Christmas books! Olivia is at the height of her awesomeness at Christmas, and my daughter reads this book happily all year long!
Kaethe Douglas
22 February, 2009

Olivia is so very helpful. Although the greatest charm of the first book was the exchange with her mother at the end. And her sandcastle.
Kathryn
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think I liked this one even better than Oliva's debut. Such grand humor! (I love the part when the dad wants to build a fire in the fireplace on Christmas eve, Haha! And Olivia's mini tree was especially amusing since I'd just read "Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree") Any fan of Olivia needs to spend Christmas with her! If you haven't met her yet, what better time to start?
Abigail
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Olivia Fans / Readers Looking for Stories That Capture the Childhood Magic of Christmas
Hyperactive porcine heroine Olivia returns in this fifth picture-book devoted to her continuing adventures, this time "helping" her family prepare for Christmas, as she eagerly awaits the arrival of Santa Claus. Whether it's detangling the Christmas tree lights, or setting the table for dinner, Olivia has her own way of doings things - a way that often leads to hilarity. In the end, despite some missteps, Christmas in Olivia's family is full of love and warmth...

Author/illustrator Ia
Adriana Cole
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Text to teach connection:

While I wouldn’t use this book for educational purposes, it is such a fun read. I think children in a classroom would throughly enjoy this book during the holidays. We could talk about each of their holiday traditions, they could share what they look forward to about the holidays, and we could all get a glimpse into everyone’s home during the holidays. This would allow the students to get a little more personal with their classmates and create an overall feeling of safe
Christine
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you need a break during this busy holiday season, take a moment to read to a child. Olivia is feisty and imaginative and will give you a chuckle no matter how many times you read this one. She reminds you of the anticipation you used to feel as the days to Christmas are being counted down.
Stephanie
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hilarious. Though my enjoyment was somewhat marred by the behavior of my (momentarily) horrible children who absolutely could not (or would not) control themselves. Laughing is great, but really, they took it to an entire other level...
Callie Risse
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is just as cute as the original Olivia book. My favorite part is when she cuts the top off of the Christmas tree to make a small, tabletop tree. Children will love listening to this story in December.
Tam
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Olivia is a funny, little pig and this book is fun for children and adults! My boys (ages 4 & 8) both love this book.
Baby Bookworm
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! We’re continuing our weeklong Holiday Countdown tonight with Olivia Helps With Christmas by Ian Falconer, a very merry Christmas story starring that precocious little pig, Olivia.

It’s Christmas Eve, and though Santa’s visit is hours away, there is still lots and lots to do. Olivia’s family must trim their tree, set the table, feed baby William, sing carols, and keep a sharp watch out for Santa, of course. Olivia does h
Kendall Huizinga
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trying to fill time before Santa comes Olivia is eager to prepare for all the Christmas festivities. Olivia helped her family in any way she could, not always doing each task in the normal way. After a long day and night, it is Christmas morning and Olivia and her family enjoy a morning full of food and presents. Little does she realize the energy and effort she has put into the past two days, and by the end of the day, Olivia was ready for bed.

The major theme of this book is being helpful with
Jill
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have seen the idea of reading one Christmas book a night for the 24 days of December leading up to Christmas many times online. Now that little Georgie is here, I wanted to start doing it, but I didn’t want to buy 24 Christmas books. Library to the rescue!

This was our debut book tonight and we started off with a bang! I love Olivia books and this one did not disappoint. I was laughing out loud on several occasions while Ken read this to George and me during George’s bedtime bottle,
Katie Easter
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Grade Level: K-1st grade

This children's picture book of Olivia's Christmas is too cute! I love all the funny things Olivia does, and the readers will too. This is a cute book to read during Christmas time to your students. Olivia is clever, funny and mischievous and that is what intrigues the children. I love this book, and definitely recommend it to be read in the schools.
Mrs.soule
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, holiday
This is a great holiday book for all ages - it's simple enough to keep our 1-year-old engaged, snarky enough to entertain our 11-year-old, and funny enough to make my husband and I laugh. We read it this year for the first time as part of our Books for Advent Calendar and we're keeping this one in the mix for next year.
V.A. Trafton
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Olivia is just like every other child around Christmas time. She waits, but impatiently. She helps decorate to pass time. Spending Christmas with Olivia is exhausting, but fun. She's such a joy. Great story for that impatient little one that fills your heart with love and puts that much needed smile on your face.
Exponent II
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Olivia Helps With Christmas” by Ian Falconer is whimsical and fun. We have the board book version, and it has been one that we enjoyed with toddlers and continue to enjoy with our young kids. The character of Olivia is so fantastic – my kids love this one.
Alyson Stambach
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great book for a read-aloud. Pictures may be difficult to see at times, but great for asking questions like, "What do you think Olivia will do next?" Perfect book for teaching children about being helpful around Christmas time.
Tova
Olivia is me when it comes to Christmas, truly. RTC
Melanie
Olivia Pig helps her family get ready for Christmas. A cute addition to the Olivia series.
Conquering Dinner
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, olivia
An easy read aloud for small children during the holidays.
Joanne Zienty
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
A cute and clever Christmas read-aloud for the kinder crowd.
Laurie
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Olivia's antics never get old...and she comes up with something new every book. A Christmas favourite.
Amynicole
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas-spirit
I just can't get into Olivia books. I only give 3 stars because I like the incorporating of real & some times historical art.
Sarah Wiwchar
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: kids as read-to-self
Shelves: read-with-kids
Read with Kindergarten. I didn't love it. It was weird and uneventful, but yet too many events..
Lori
I loved introducing my students to Olivia!
Renee MA
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
While not normally a fan of Christmas stories, this one was delightful.
Shorty
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Adobrable. Audiobook is narrated by Dame Edna.
Kelly
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Olivia the Pig can hardly wait for Christmas to come. This is a cute story.
Christine
Not my favorite Olivia book, but I had to add this one to our Christmas collection since my son loves so many of her other stories so much.
Beth
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, children, christmas
I'd say 3 1/2 stars, but my daughter says 5 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Dolls' Christmas
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
Ian Falconer is the author and illustrator of all the titles in the bestselling Olivia series: Olivia, Olivia Saves the Circus,Olivia...and the Missing Toy, and Olivia Forms a Band. His illustrations have also graced many covers of the New Yorker. In addition, he has designed sets and costumes for the New York City Ballet, the San Francisco Opera, and the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), among o ...more

Olivia (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Olivia