Start by marking “Tras el incierto horizonte (Saga Heechee, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tras el incierto horizonte (Saga Heechee, #2)

Tras el incierto horizonte

(Heechee Saga #2)

Tras la misión de Pórtico que le hizo rico pero que le costó la vida de la mujer que amaba, Robinette Broadhead ayuda a sufragar los gastos de una expedición a la Factoría Alimentaria -una nave espacial en la órbita de Plutón, aparentemente abandonada por los misteriosos Heechees.

¿Pero era la verdadera misión que él perseguía, convertirse en el hombre más rico del mundo a
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Tras el incierto horizonte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tras el incierto horizonte

Gavin
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Beyond the Blue Event Horizon was a solid sequel to Gateway. Frederik Pohl's engaging writing style makes it easy for the reader to get caught up in the stories of his characters even when those characters themselves are not the most likeable.

Robinette Broadhead struck it rich in his time as a Gateway prospector but is still suffering from the feelings of guilt at how his last mission ended. He no longer goes on Gateway missions himself but has sponsored many other adventurers. One such group i
Wanda

"The story begins when the hero of Gateway finances an expedition to a distant alien spaceship that may end famine forever. On the ship, the explorers find a human boy, and evidence that reveals a powerful alien civilization is thriving on a transport ship headed right for Earth…"

Beyond the blue horizon
Waits a beautiful day.
Goodbye to things that bore me.
Joy is waiting for me.
I see a new horizon.
My life has only begun.
Beyond the blue horizon lies a rising sun.
(Beyond the Blue Horizon, Jeanette
Alina
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally loved it!!
Lots of questions from Gateway are answered here, but in the end you have a lot a brand new ones - I'm looking forward to find out more about Heechee.

P.S. Glad to see that Rob has become a much more likeable and mature character.
Marvin
Not nearly the equivalent of Gateway but that would be like asking Ken Jennings to win 74 Jeopardy games in a row. Oh Yeah. He did that.

Speaking of Jeopardy, back in the 80's I was browsing through the credits of the TV game show and noticed that one of the show writers was Frederik Pohl. "OMG" I thought, (I didn't actually think "OMG!". The internet was still in its infantry and so was internet speak) "He's writing questions on a game show now! I knew Sci-fi writers didn't make much money but D
Tobin Elliott
If the whole book had been written like the last couple of chapters, this would have been a five-star rating.

Unfortunately, the first three-quarters, while having the odd flash of entertainment, was reasonably boring. Even if Pohl had gone for more of a Ringworld-type feel, with uncertain explorers discovering new and exciting things. Yes. There was a bit of that, including the revelation of the Heechee prayer fans, but overall, it felt mostly stilted and dull.

And there was, like Gateway before
Jon Norimann
Pohl here continues the Heechee saga with more of the same. Book 2 in the series is a small part human archeology of alien technology, a solid dose teenage sexuality, a touch of facing death and quite a lot of stupidity. Some of the tech in the book is way beyond what can ever be reasonably expected to become reality and it seems to only get more and more speculative.

Beyond the Blue Event Horizon is not too long, an easy read and quite entertaining despite all the flaws. Although it makes no las
Kevin
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is re-read for me. I first read the novel when it came out and I was barely an adult. At the time I thought it was the middle book of a trilogy and that the story suffered a bit for it, but now we know there were to be five books in this series and I have no idea why I ever thought it had middle volume syndrome. It's quite immersive!

The character motivations make a good deal more sense reading it now from a more mature perspective. The novel is far more upbeat than Gateway, thus far more e
Tomislav
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
second read - 6 November 2014 - **** I've read this now for the second time after about 33 years. This is concept-driven science fiction, and the mysteries of Pohl's Heechee universe are drawn out and fascinating. This volume reveals the answers to a lot of concepts left hanging at the end of Gateway, regarding the nature of the Heechee artifacts strewn throughout the Solar System, while opening a small number of new ones.

The book has grown somewhat dated in science and technology. Especially, r
Rob
...I guess you could say Pohl took a bit more conventional approach in writing Beyond the Blue Events Horizon. It makes the book less groundbreaking than Gateway was and probably is part of the reason why it didn't win any of the awards it was nominated for. The scope of it is obviously much wider too, and the many switches in point of view makes it appear a bit less structured than its predecessor. If you view the story as the unveiling of (part of) a mystery, it makes more than enough sense to ...more
Oliver Wilson
Sep 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-away
Given the riotous success of Gateway, I was surprised at how difficult it was to get a copy of this, the sequel (it's basically out of print).

Having found a second-hand copy, the reason became clear: this book is a feeble shadow of its predecessor. Terribly disappointing, avoid.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
review of
Frederik Pohl's Beyond the Blue Event Horizon
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - July 6, 2015

I read Pohl's Gateway 1st in this Heechee Saga. My review's here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15... . I'm somewhat surprised to see that I read it 3 yrs ago. That's one of those time-flies-when-you're-not-having-fun-just-getting-older thingies. Skimming over my Gateway review I think I was more impressed by that one than I was by this sequel - wch isn't to say that I thought this was 'bad'
Elar
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A little bit slower paced and more philosophical than first book in the series. Fortunately readers learn many new details about ancient Heechees.
Michael Ben Silva III
So good. I loved Gateway and found this to be a worthy successor. I'm excited for the rest of the series.
Matthew
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frederik Pohl delves deeper into his world of the Heechee as the humans come closer to making first contact. He expands upon futuristic notions of advanced artificial intelligence and technologies we have discovered but are yet to fully understand. He begins to reveal explanations for some of the mysteries first introduced in Gateway, though obviously bordering on fantasy as much as any sci fi does.

He further explores the human condition through our protagonist Robin Broadhead, torn between love
Coyle
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to Gateway, I think Pohl has done a much better job with this one. (Of course, I have issues with books that leave all kinds of questions unanswered anyway, which Gateway did.) In this book many of the questions left dangling are answered in the first book, even if only in summary form and in ways that raise all new questions. So, I guess I'll have to read the third book. [Sigh]
Overall there's a solid plot with interesting themes and characters, well worth a look to those who like Sci
Bob Kenobi
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Heechee setting keeps being fascinating. All the technology and contacts with the lost civilization are extraordinary and highly immaginative.
The background story with Robinette and the Herber family keeps being repetitive and a bit boring sometimes, but it is a nice counterpart of the exciting discoveries from the Heechee.
And having Albert Einstein as a scientific adviser is genius!
Will keep reading the saga for sure.
Shannon
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
There's plenty of drama and action in this sequel, though it's not done as subtly and elegantly as the story in Gateway. There are a lot of answers about the mysterious Heechee civilization in this novel, though there are almost as many more questions by the end. Great second installment of the series--it should be fun to continue the story in the next book.
Sadie
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ah, yes, this book is terrible in a very good and cheesey way. I had to read it. Gateway was my gateway and I just wanted to know what on earth Pohl would do next.
This story would probably blow the mind of a 15 year old boy, but alas, it just seemed a wee bit overdone. Go Heechees!
Brent Ecenbarger
This is the sequel to Gateway a book that I thought had some really interesting ideas about some uninteresting and unlikable characters. That book ended **spoiler alert** with Robinette Broadhead being the lone survivor of a mission of ten people with the other nine being sucked into a black hole and Broadhead feeling guilty over the loss of his lover most of all. Beyond the Blue Event Horizon picks up several years later, with Broadhead being very wealthy and no longer going on Heechee missions ...more
Keith Vai
Paul
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scifi
I have often thought about Gateway since originally reading it; it was a haunting premise and excellent world building, so I've put off reading the sequels for far too long. This book is different than Gateway in many ways. Because of the limited nature of the events of the book, the component of fear and uncertainty are much reduced. Since they're not relying much on Heechee technology, except the stuff that Wan already knows how to use, even the "apes poking the monolith" feeling is gone.

Sti
Themistocles
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This second volume of the Heechee Saga shares quite a bit with the first one.

That is, it's a page turner with no real depth.

I found myself longing to go back to my book and read some more - it's a nice story, well-paced and with a couple of nice turns.

That said, for the most of it it lacks any real depth. There's no big ideas or issues underlying the plot until the very end, where all hell breaks loose in that aspect - and of course, hooks you for the next book.

The characters are ok, nothing spe
James Garman
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Human exploration of the Heechee continues from the first book. A lot has changed and we know more about this other prior race but not a lot more. A new exploration ship with a family consisting of the Hunter family (Paul and his wife) including Paul's father in law and young sister in law have gone to find more artifacts.

They discover some interesting things and wonder where the Heechee have gone and if and when they are coming back. That is the question still at the end of the story. Are the H
Nicole
May 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I do not understand the high reviews for this book. The little I was able to stomach was so unlike the interesting story of the first book in the series. There was creepy sexualization of children/underage characters, including incestuously themed situations between an adult and a child. There was inconsistent/illogical writing of said young characters even though at least one was supposed to be brilliant enough to be chosen for a space exploratory mission. There was a "fever" that conveniently ...more
Stephen Dorneman
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this second book in the Heechee Saga is well-written (as you might expect from an SF Grandmaster), and chock-full of revelations about the mysterious alien Heechee and their technology, human struggles to learn that information and to survive, man-machine relationships, and a whole lot more, it may be overly full, and because of that, I'm not sure I'll continue reading the rest of the series. Perhaps there were too many alien advances (and their technology too-easily deciphered by manki ...more
Bogdan Balostin
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library-1
I find this book better than the first book but only because the first book exists. The main character from the first book has grown up and he's saving the day and coming up with new ideas, even though he's not around for much of the book. The other main characters introduced at the beginning are just annoying and not sufficiently developed to really care about. It feels like they are some random prospectors that maybe, hopefully, will appear in future books and they will be changed for good.
Any
Evil Evan
When science-fiction authors go over the top with the sex theme, I can't help but imagine they didn't get laid enough in their teens and twenties, and the pent up horniness comes out in their fiction. Pohl is nowhere nearly as bad at this than Larry Niven in the Ringworld sequels. But it did get a bit tedious.

I'm a bit disappointed in this sequel. The first book was enthrawling. Number 2 is not as interesting. A bit too many info-dumps. I was mostly entertained, but not often very engaged. I had
Andy Carrein
I really enjoyed Gateway, the first book in the series, giving it 5 stars. So my hopes for this one were high. Sadly, I'm somewhat disapointed.

The first book had some great ideas, good characterization and quite a few unsolved mysteries. This novel tries to answer a few of those but sadly, the explanation is less fun than the mystery. The book looses itself too much in explaining the history of the Heechee or in science explanations. It's not very interesting and the characters aren't worked out
Andy Goldman
This has always been a frustrating read for me, and this latest read-through was no different. It drags and most of the characters are not likable. The best bits for me are anything involving S. Ya, Robin, and the Albert Einstein program, and these are the sections that move the greater Heechee story forward and deal with the biggest sci-fi what ifs. IIRC from my many years ago last reading, this book is more important as a stepping stone to book 3, but next time I re-read, I might skip this one ...more
Florin Constantinescu
This is a loose sequel to "Gateway", in that the plot does not necessarily follow the mostly-solved events of previous book, but rather starts something new.
The something new is not something that good or interesting, but the return of Gateway's main character and his computer (albeit in secondary roles this time) are worthy read.

What really saves this book though is the revelation towards the end about the possible fate of the Heechee. That surely kept me interested in the series and went on re
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Protector (Known Space)
  • The Boat of a Million Years
  • Wizard (Gaea, #2)
  • Berserker (Berserker, #1)
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • Bug Jack Barron
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Blind Voices
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Mindbridge
  • The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (Giants, #2)
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.

Heechee Saga (6 books)
  • Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1)
  • Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)
  • The Annals of the Heechee (Heechee Saga, #4)
  • The Gateway Trip (Heechee Saga, #5)
  • The Boy Who Would Live Forever: A Novel of Gateway (Heechee Saga, #6)
“There are times when I sit at the center of the world, and when I know that I can reach out to any of the programs my good wife has written for me and pull back any fact, absorb any explanation or command any event.

There are also times when I sit with a full console and a head full of burning questions and learn nothing, because I do not know what to ask.

And there are times when I am so full of learning and being and doing that the moments zip past and the days are packed, and other times when I am floating in slack water beside a current, and the world is sliding speedily by.”
1 likes
“Four thousand A.U. plus is a long trip-and that’s as the crow flies. Or, actually, as the photon fires, because of course there aren’t a lot of crows in near-interstellar space.” 1 likes