Start by marking “The Case of the Careless Cupid” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Careless Cupid

The Case of the Careless Cupid

(Perry Mason #79)

There's no love lost between Delane Arlington's fiancee and his frosty family. The wealthy widower's heirs are extremely eager to keep their lovestruck uncle from tying the knot--thus cutting off their route to easy street. That's what brings Selma Anson, Arlington's beleaguered bride-to-be, to Perry Mason. HC: Morrow. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 180 pages
Published June 27th 1995 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Careless Cupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Careless Cupid

Start your review of The Case of the Careless Cupid
Evgeny
A widow Selma Anson noticed she was being followed. She came face-to-face with her tail
Tail
and told the guy next time she sees him she would slap him. The guy suggested her to lawyer up as he would sue her if she ever does. Departing on such friendly terms Selma realized having a lawyer might not be such a bad idea after all, so a short time later Mason got himself a client asking him how could she slap a guy without any legal repercussions.

Obviously the story was much deeper than this. Selma fell
Newly Wardell
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I freaking love Perry Mason novels. At some point we will acknowledge that every fictional defense attorney willing to go above and beyond to prove their clients innocence is a shadow of Perry Mason. I'm looking at you Jake Brigance to Phoenix Wright all of them. Boy were the decks ever stacked against him in this one. I was hooked from the end of the first chapter. No one creates characters like Erle Stanley Gardner. No one! Chapter 1 A woman finishes her breakfast and an unassuming guy finishe ...more
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Another great Perry Mason. I gobble these up so rapidly it's a wonder I don't get heartburn. Luckily, books don't give you heartburn and Mason novels aren't Jane Austin to be savored and contemplated. They are that bowl of Hershey chocolates that you really shouldn't be scarfing down but can't stop, which is why I was able to run through this story in one sitting.

The plot: A distressed woman comes to Mason (aren't they always distressed woman?) because of a complicated situation. She is in love
Richa
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. Really liked it, even though the trial part wasn't much. This one had a nice long explanation provided about the polygraph test. One of my reasons for getting hooked to this series was the way Gardner educates or informs about legal practice and terminology in a nice, easy to understand, tale narrative. He makes it really simple for lay people and also legal professionals, to understand quite a few technicalities. Some of the books in the series are whodunnits simpliciter, but ...more
Yue
It was nice that in this one the murderers were kind of obvious right from the beginning. There is actually no mystery about who were the killers, or why they did it but how it happened. Selma Anson was accused of murdered her husband. Delane Arlington's nephews and nieces were expecting to inherit his money, but he fell in love with Selma. So of course one of them wanted to incriminate her. I read this one faster than the previous one.

Read in Spanish.
ben
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Perry Mason story and this one was quite good. I love the feel of older novels that give a glimpse into how things were back in the day, and the speed of this one keeps the action moving as you might not expect a lawyer story to be. I am definitely looking forward to the other stories I have by this author and recommend to anyone who enjoys a good crime or mystery novel.
Lorilee
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was good, but I was able to guess the mystery pretty early. Still love these mysteries though because you can read them in an afternoon and they are not violent or have a ton of sex. I like those novels too but it is nice to take a break.
Bailey Marissa
An intriguing story that is not only complicated but also involves Perry pulling some stunts with human psychology and a polygraph test.

Recommended 13+ for murder, language, poisoning, and mild romance from secondary characters.
WT Sharpe
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happily this was much better than the last Mason I read. Very enjoyable.
Ed
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#79 in the Perry Mason series. Widow Selma is afraid to wed rich widower, Delane Arlington , because of the enmity of his nieces and nephews. Selma is accused of insurance fraud in the case of her husband's death and the fiancé of on e of Delane's nieces scares her into fleeing the state. Perry catches on and, beating Lt. Tragg to El Paso, manages to turn her trip from a flight to a publicized trip for philanthropic purposes. She still winds up being prosecuted for premeditated murder. But in po ...more
Rusty
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erle Stanley Gardner is one of my favorite mystery writers. He is so clever when it comes to writing a unique mystery tale. In this one, a woman whose husband dies as a result of tainted crab salad is accused of poisoning her him with arsenic. She was a bird watcher who had progressed to trapping, killing and mounting species - a hobby she developed to fill her time because her husband was gone so often. The product she use was called Featherfirm and was loaded with arsenic. To complicate matter ...more
Anna
"It was a sorry day for law enforcement when Perry Mason was admitted to the bar." Indeed it was. When a wealthy widow Selma Anson spots the same man everywhere she goes, she decides to confront him. She doesn't end up going to Mason's office because of accidental killing of the "detective," but to make sure she in the clear if she should punch him in the face anytime in the future.
I really enjoyed reading it, even though I've just discovered I'd already read it few years ago. Perry is on top o
Chazzi
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am a big fan of Perry Mason, the original in print and Raymond Burr from the TV series.

This case involves a widow and the suspicion that she poisoned her husband over a year ago to get the payout on his life insurance.

Who started this rumour? Is it true? Why was it started?

Selma Anson hires Perry Mason to help solve these questions and more. Along with his secretary, Della Street, and P.I. Paul Drake, Mason comes through in true style.
Robert A Keene
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1968 late Erle Stanley Gardner was far better than I anticipated. I do like the earlier Perry Mason books better, but this held my interest to the end, mostly trying to figure out how he would get this woman off when so much evidence was against her.
Karan Shah
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erle Stanley Gardner is my favorite mystery murder writer.
His books are very fast paced and witty. This book is one of his best
Girish
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Perry Mason at his theatrical best. Gets into a bit of lecture mode in the middle, but all ingredients of Perry Mason.
Simple, non complicated read.
Snowynight
Interesting comfortable read
James Vest
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid entry into the Perry Mason cannon, but ultimately, a pretty straightforward dash to the truth.
Shalini M
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Marina Gerrard
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a kind of mystery that, as I say goes, in one eye and out the other. No disrespect meant. I love them. They're very easy on the eye ;-) The good thing is because I never remember who dunnit, I can read them again and again.
I'm sure I've read every single one of ESG's books in the past. Now I'm ready to go over them again one by one. I recently started with The Case of the Careless Cupid. Boy, did I enjoy it! I'm sure at some point the rest will follow!
Christopher Rowland
I enjoyed the story, but a little appalled that an insurance company could claim the amazing investment earnings achieved by the defendant instead of perhaps simply the principal with interest. Left me wondering whether the law still allows that 50 years later.
Ashley
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect cozy read for me. I love figuring things out with Mason. This is one where I did have it figured out before the end but I still enjoyed it!
Iris van Meer
Oh my. Not my type of book. Only has one scene (the lawyers office) and it's just dialogue after dialogue. Didn't like it at all. ...more
Walt Carlson
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much exactly what you want out of a Perry Mason mystery.
Dr Hanif Hassan Barbhuiya
Typical Perry Mason mystery
Ravinder
Average Perry Mason novel... There are many better ones out there
Vijay Ramdu
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up because of no sleep and it turned out to be so unputdownable that it didn't let me sleep. That's the case of (me) The careless cupid who feel in love with Perry Mason at first sight ...more
Bob
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for decades. Many years ago, I was an intense fan of the series. Now, after a lot of water over the dam, I'm looking at them again.

Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense), such as Ross Macdonald, may find the writing style here to be stiff and mechanical. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are w
Book collector
There are too many books to do individual reviews for so this is an author overview really. The star rating will give an idea of my feelings on the individual books.

Erle Stanley gardner was one of my father's favourite writers. He had a virtually full collection of the books. I was aware of the books mainly through the TV series of Perry Mason but started to read the novels shortly before my father passed away. Since then I've read all of the books and enjoyed them. I can't say gardner is a favo
Christopher Taylor
A later, but pretty solid addition to the vast Perry Mason collection. Something I really appreciate about these books is that the trial scenes are so careful and specific, they lack most of the usual dramatic tricks and violations of actual courtroom rules and behavior that most courtroom fiction suffers from. In some ways its almost clinical how they courtroom is portrayed, except for Perry's more dramatic tricks.

In this book, a woman is being followed by someone, and turns to Perry for legal

• Miss Marple and Mystery: Over 50 Stories
  • A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)
  • Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #1)
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Yendi (Vlad Taltos, #2)
  • Forever and a Death
  • The Marquess Tames His Bride
  • Masquerade for Murder (Mike Hammer #26)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • A Star-Wheeled Sky
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #3)
  • Ruin (The Faithful and the Fallen, #3)
  • A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley, #1)
  • Undercover Princess (Castles of Dallas, #1)
  • Marry in Secret (Marriage of Convenience, #3)
  • Murder on the Menu
  • Mrs Funnybones
See top shelves…

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason, #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason, #4)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason, #5)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason, #6)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (Perry Mason, #7)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason, #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason, #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason, #10)

News & Interviews

“I like what I like and not what I'm supposed to like because of mass rating. And I very much dislike the things I don't like.” 54 likes