Start by marking “Ruby and the Blue Sky: A Tale of Fame, Power Sacrifice - And Tea.” as Want to Read:
Ruby and the Blue Sky: A Tale of Fame, Power Sacrifice - And Tea.

Ruby and the Blue Sky: A Tale of Fame, Power Sacrifice - And Tea.

Grammy night, 2021. Ruby wins 'Best Song' and makes an impulsive acceptance speech that excites nature lovers across the world. While Ruby and her band celebrate, an extreme evangelical sect, funded by covert paymasters, dispatches a disciple on a ruthless mission to England.

As the band plays its sold-out tour, Ruby is pursued by eco-groupies insisting she use her new fame
ebook, 1, 236 pages
Published June 26th 2016 by Ruru Press

To ask other readers questions about Ruby and the Blue Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby and the Blue Sky

Start your review of Ruby and the Blue Sky: A Tale of Fame, Power Sacrifice - And Tea.
Karen
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Coming at an eco-thriller from the point of view of the activists, RUBY AND THE BLUE SKY is part thriller, part exploration of "celebrity" culture, and part do good chick lit novel. The idea at the core is that fame can be used in positive ways - in this case a pro-environment, anti consumer-culture stance with a hefty dose of women's rights and empowerment.

To that end the central character Ruby is band leader, conscience and activist, pursued by eco-groupies, determined to ensure she uses a so
Lianne Marie
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Katherine writes beautifully and confidently, covering environmental and mental health issues and sexual violence with sensitivity and shapes characters with fluid sexual preferences without churning out the usual tropes that mainstream fiction featuring LGBT+ characters do. This is a book to buy your teenage children (note I did not specify daughters here!) and to read yourself."

Extract from my review - read in full here https://theculturevulture.co.uk/blog/...
Niki Harre
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story about how to take action despite extreme set backs. A likable main character and a compelling sub-plot that adds an element of surprise. Lots to say about being a woman, and being frustrated with current political systems.
Treesong
Ruby and the Blue Sky is one of my favorite climate fiction novels to date and high on my list for fiction in general. Aside from the obvious appeal for cli-fi readers, it will also have a broader appeal for anyone interested in rock stars, activism, strong female protagonists, and just plain good fiction.

The author handles the recurring theme of climate change and climate action very well. Climate action is central to the plot, so there’s a fair amount of discussion of what the characters are d
Paul Minett
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I know the author, and respect her marketing and public relations work, so I thought this would be interesting to read. What I can say is that I quickly forgot that Kath was the author and just got immersed in the characters and the story. At times I didn't want to put it down. It is a 'rollicking good read'; the characters are all people we know; the story moves along at a good pace; there are surprises we like, and some we don't. It has a great message.

Someone else
Craig Sisterson
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
First-time novelist Katherine Dewar delivers an intriguing tale that flows along wonderfully and gives readers plenty to think about: climate change and the environment, feminism and the marginalisation and abuse of women, fighting for things you believe, celebrity power, and music.

It's a concoction that will sit differently with different readers, but overall I really enjoyed the read.

With such an array of 'big issues' and challenging topics packed into the novel, it would have been easy for an
Janine
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ruby, a musician at the peak of popularity, struggles with the responsibilities her fame forces upon her. Her concern for the state of the planet drives her to take action, fueled by the energy of other like-minded activists, she faces local, global, religious, and corporate battles in an attempt to make use of her fame and influence. Set in the near future, her journey is not easy.

I found this novel engaging, enlightening, fearful, tearful and inspiring. Ruby is a character that is easy to like
Krystle Thomas
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This tale was different from what I usually read but it challenged me, made me think and, although the subject matter was at times difficult, the imagery and language used is beautiful!

Definitely recommend Ruby and The Blue Sky to anyone who cares about the future of our planet, or strong female role models <3
Anna
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: future-society
Having ripped through this book one day while I was sick in bed, like a bar of chocolate, I'd recommend it to any person young or old who is tired of the fight, or who needs a break from serious reading.

This is above all a brave book because it helps us imagine what the beginnings of an alternative, different path forward might look like and the struggles it might involve- and that is not an easy task. While the picture painted of the opposition may be far fetched and a bit dramatic, it is also
Cascade
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been reading Cli Fi's since I'm teaching a class on the Science of Cli Fi, and this is one of the first stories I've read about action. I found it interesting but could have done without the more disturbing aspects. There doesn't have to be certified evil involved in resistance and persistence. The lead up to those events made them unexpected - usually when something really bad happens, I'm somewhat prepared for it - not sure if that's by literary device or some unspoken publisher conventio ...more
Clare Caldwell
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was immediately engaged in the fast-paced literary style and loved its punchy and colloquial dialogues. The use of descriptive language I found particularly brilliant - original, subtle and haunting. Its message is one we must all heed - that our world is fragile and we must take bold and immediate steps to halt her imminent destruction.
Anna Klein
Nov 28, 2016
Katherine
Jun 20, 2019
Craig Sisterson
Apr 01, 2017
Katherine
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
The pace seems odd to me. There are some plot holes, and then serious things happen, but I'm not feeling the story.
Tesh
Shona
Apr 20, 2017
Emily (Em)
Aug 06, 2017

• State Secrets (Bob Skinner, #28)
  • Sleeping in the Ground (Inspector Banks, #24)
  • A Long Way Down, (Ryan DeMarco, #3)
A seventies child and eighties teen, Katherine Dewar was raised in North Yorkshire in a house filled with books, computers and animals. She studied politics and worked in Leeds before emigrating to Aotearoa NZ, where she founded a marketing business to help worth-while companies and volunteers with the Green Party.

Katherine has made up stories for as long as she can remember, exploiting plastic a

News & Interviews