Start by marking “In This Grave Hour (Maisie Dobbs, #13)” as Want to Read:
In This Grave Hour (Maisie Dobbs, #13)

In This Grave Hour

(Maisie Dobbs #13)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  8,459 ratings  ·  1,091 reviews
"A female investigator every bit as brainy and battle-hardened as Lisbeth Salander."  Maureen Corrigan, NPR's Fresh Air, on Maisie Dobbs

Sunday September 3rd 1939.  At the moment Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain broadcasts to the nation Britain’s declaration of war with Germany, a senior Secret Service agent breaks into Maisie Dobbs' flat to await her return. Dr. France
Published March 14th 2017 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about In This Grave Hour, please sign up.
Elizabeth Siegel Yes, and no...though each Maisie Dobbs book follows the story line of a discrete, standalone mystery, I really (really, really) recommend you read…moreYes, and no...though each Maisie Dobbs book follows the story line of a discrete, standalone mystery, I really (really, really) recommend you read them from the beginning, if only to see Maisie's character development. There are also a lot of reoccurring characters, each with their own backstory with Maisie (13 books' worth of backstory, to be exact!). You might miss a lot of the subtext that makes these books so freaking great.(less)

Pouting Always
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
As war is declared in Britain, Maisie Dobbs' finds herself investigating the death of an Belgian expat living in England. Dr. Francesca Thomas who works in intelligence and is original Belgian hires her on the part of the Belgian embassy but as Maisie digs deeper into the case she begins to wonder what Dr.Thomas is hiding from her. The longer she investigates the more bodies start to pile up, all Belgian expats who came to England during WWI and settled down there. While trying to figure out the ...more
Jaline
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a series that engaged my interest, my heart, and my mind from the very first book. Although I waited a long time for this one to come available through the Library on OverDrive, it was definitely worth the wait.

Jacqueline Winspear’s writing is exceptionally good. At first I thought maybe this could be read as a standalone, but to be honest, one would miss so much of the bonding experience with all the characters, their backgrounds, and how they all connected without reading the whole set
Phrynne
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
I am amazed that Maisie is now up to Book 13 ( 14 actually as there is one more published that I have not read yet) and we have spanned all the time from the first great war to the beginning of the second.

There is a lot of interesting historical fact in this book. I got goose bumps during the scene where they listen to Neville Chamberlain announcing the start of the war on the wireless. Wireless - that's a lovely word we do not use any more! Also fascinating was the description of the hospital w
Barbara
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it

On the day Britain enters World War II, private detective Maisie Dobbs gets a visit from her old colleague, Dr. Francesca Thomas. Francesca, a Belgian national, asks Maisie to investigate the death of Frederick Addens - a Belgian refugee who came to Britain as a teenager during World War I.....and never went home. Instead, Addens made a life in England and became a railway engineer.

Addens was shot in the head while kneeling, which seems like deliberate murder to Francesca. However, Detective Chi
Susan Johnson
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maisie Dobbs is hired by a member of the Belgian embassy in this 13th installment of the series. A Belgian refugee has been murdered and the embassy wants more of an investigation than the police are providing. Things are in turmoil in London as Germany and England are preparing to go to war yet again. As long time readers know, the series started at the end of WWI where Maisie had served as a combat nurse in France. Now war is back in the picture.

As Maisie's investigation progresses, she disc
Cindy Burnett
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Jacqueline Winspear’s Maisie Dobbs is one of the most creatively written characters in fiction today, and In This Grave Hour is an outstanding addition to the series. The story begins on September 3, 1939, the day Great Britain officially declared war on Germany thereby formally entering World War 2. When Maisie returns home that evening, a Secret Service agent is waiting to hire Maisie to find the murderer of a man who had escaped Occupied Belgium during the Great War. This investigation leads ...more
Suzze Tiernan
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
September 3, 1939. Great Britain declares war on Germany and this novel begins. Another excellent installment of the Maisie Dobbs series. The main story involves Belgian refugees in England from The Great War, but along the way we see the minutiae of the country preparing for another war. Barrage balloons tied up over London (to make it difficult for low flying planes to enter the airspace, children being sent to the country to stay where it was deemed safer, and the return of women volunteering ...more
Lata
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This series is like a comforting bowl of porridge for me. I like the historical details, and it's been interesting finding out little things about how England came out of the First World War in the first book in this series, all the way to this book, with England entering the Second World War.
Rene
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
It's okay, but not up to her other books which were solid 5-stars. I know I'm in the minority here, which is okay, but I personally found the story line rather boring and tedious. In the past I could read her books in a day or two. I found myself putting this book aside often. The wrap-up was contrived and kind of a let-down. The only bright spot for me was the Anna storyline. I do look forward to her next book as I love the characters.
Steve Donoghue
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
I lose my train of thought if I so much as hear a dog bark outside - but in this book, the redoubtable Maisie Dobbs can listen to her country declaring war on Nazi Germany and still have the pluck and concentration to solve a couple of initially baffling murders! Here's my review over at Open Letters: http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/boo...
Craig Monson
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the latest in a steady stream of more than a dozen Maisie Dobbs mysteries to appear since 2003. It is my first encounter with this heroine, whose business card describes her as “psychologist and investigator” (which must have been an unusual combination in 1939 Britain). I suspect that died-in-the-wool Dobbs fans will also happily welcome back any number of familiar faces: Billy, Masie’s plain-speaking gumshoe assistant; Sandra, her secretary (largely absent this time around, laid low by ...more
Jean
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is great to have Maisie, Sandra and Billie back in the old office working on investigations again. Feels like the book is back on track. World War II has started and for all the veterans of WWI and their families it is a difficult time.

Dr. Francesca Thomas of the Belgium Embassy and secret service has hired Maisie to solve a murder of a Belgium refugee from WWI. Then three more murders occur of people Maisie has spoken to during the investigation. Maisie has also taken in some children into t
Stephen
easy going crime book based at at the start of WW2 with several people killed by similar methods and maisie is employed to find the killer and the connections between each victim.
Diane
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The last few Maisie Dobbs books have found Maisie in Germany and Spain, away from her friends and family, trying to heal from a horrible tragedy. The latest book, In This Grave Hour, Maisie is back in London and back to work as a private investigator and psychologist.

That means that the characters we have grown to love- her assistants Billy and Sandra, her father and stepmother Brenda, best friend Priscilla and Pris' husband and sons- are back too. They were sorely missed.

As the story opens in 1
Julie
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have enjoyed each addition to this wonderful series, which often leaves me thoughtful, or touches me in some way. This volume caused me to think about the way we behave during a time of grieving, and most particularly on how humor can provide a brief respite from the heavy burden of deep sorrow. In the story, WWII is declared and there is grim news each day of death and destruction, which sows seeds of fear of what is to come next. So, it is with almost incredulous wonder that one character ta ...more
Zsofi
September 3rd, 1939.... Britain is officially at war with Germany. Meanwhile, someone murdered a former Belgian refugee form the last war, and Maisie Dobbs has to find the killer before more people die.
This is the 13th part of a series, but I read it as a standalone. I think - although there are references to the past -, that this book can be read without having read the other stories in the series.

I have to admit I didn't like the writing style. It seemed somehow forced and "fake". Everything
Carolyn Hill
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I had skipped the last two of the Maisie Dobbs series that venture into foreign lands, mainly because of the reviews, but had read the previous ten. Now Maisie is back in London with her private investigations and her old cohorts at hand. It did feel a little like old home week when one after the other familiar characters appear. I had been brought up to speed on Maisie's personal situation from the reviews - how she had lost her husband and unborn child, which a lot of readers were upset about ...more
Lynn
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maisie and her team are back doing what they do best......investigating murder. Lots of new WWII storylines opened for future books. This one recharged my enthusiasm for the series.
Cara Putman
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely masterful. A perfect build on the series -- which continues to be a great combination that gets better with each book.
Suzy
After setting the two previous books in other countries, Winspear puts Maisie back in London where she started 20 years ago with the cast of characters we have come to know and love. This books starts with Maisie gathered with her friend Priscilla and family around the radio as McMillan declares war on Germany on September 3, 1939. At the forefront of this story are the murders of Belgian refugees who immigrated to Britain during WWI. Maisie is contracted by a woman she's worked with before from ...more
Melissa
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is the first that I have read in the series, and I wasn't lost. The times that the author referred to earlier events, she gave plenty of details about it. I loved Maisie. This woman is an established investigator with complicated war and personal backgrounds. The story is so well structured that I never guessed who the killer that she was investigating was.

Many thanks for the signed first edition provided by the publisher!
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Better than the last one.
Gail
Jacqueline Winspear continues to hone her skills and develop her characters. This book opens at the start of Britain's declaration of war in 1939. Maisie is hired by a former colleague who holds dual citizeship -- Belgium and the U.K. A man living in England, a past Belgium refugee from WWI who'd made his permanent home in London, has been murdered. The Yard hasn't made much progress is solving the case, so Maisie is asked to take it on. There is a hint that other murders might follow if Maisie ...more
Shirley Revill
I really enjoyed this audiobook and glad I took the opportunity to listen to it.
The narration was superb and kept me listening to the end.
The story was brilliantly written and quite unlike anything I have read before.
I really love books from this era and a murder mystery was a winner for me.
Would like to read more from this talented author as this was a first for me.
Recommended.
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Great storyline, superb characters, all the emotion. The problem with these Maisie Dobbs books is that I want to read them quickly to see what happens, but then am so upset that I have to wait so long for the next book!
Charlene Roberson
Ah, Maisie!! I was so glad to finally get my hands on a new Maisie Dobbs, and I was not disappointed! Time continues to pass and now Britain is on the cusp of ANOTHER war! For Maisie and many of her friends and co-workers, the LAST war was the worst thing ever, but now Mr Hitler wants to rule the world.

Maisie is contacted by an old acquaintance in the secret service and asked to look into a murder that may not be receiving all the attention it deserves from the police, who are understandably bu
Marlene
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Welcome to the Sitzkrieg, or as it was better known in Britain, the Phoney War.

As this 13th book in the Maisie Dobbs series opens in the fall of 1939, Britain declares war on Nazi Germany after its invasion of Poland. Then nothing happens. And nothing continues to happen for eight months, until Germany invades France and the Low Countries (Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands) in May of 1940.

But during the period of this book, nothing much happens on the wa
Rbucci
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy history and mysteries. Combining the two is perfect. I get to be engaged and interested while maybe learning a thing or two. In this case, I learned about some things that went on during WWI and WWII.
Nicole Toft
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My love for Maisie Dobbs has never wavered. Some books in this epic series are better than others, and this one is definitely a 4-star book. She is sensible and compassionate and vastly intelligent. I always appreciate Winspear's historical details of the time period. When I first started this series, Maisie was a teenager during the First World War, and now she is of middle age, closer to my age, and I relate to her much more. The murder mystery plot was clear and very interesting, and while th ...more
Lynn
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this EARC courtesy of Harper books and Edelweiss. Pub date 03/14/17

Well, Maisie Dobbs is at it again. Traipsing all over the country and then across the continent trying to make sense of, and find the connection between, men who seem to find themselves dead. Murdered. In a horrible, almost executionary style.

Of course, we know that in the end, Maisie will be victorious. But getting there is more than half the fun.
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li

Maisie Dobbs (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)
  • A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs, #9)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
“... truth has a certain buoyancy - it makes its way to the surface, in time.” 2 likes
“Maisie bit her lip. She had learned that sometimes it was best to let words die of their own accord, rather than fight them.” 1 likes