Start by marking “I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions” as Want to Read:
I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions

I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions

(Contract Killers #1)

27 Dresses meets Bridget Jones’s Diary for the millennial set in Erin Lyon's I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions.

In a world where marriage doesn’t exist—only seven-year contracts—you don’t marry, you sign. You don’t divorce, you breach. And sometimes, you just expire.

Kate is struggling to find her footing. She gave up a career she hated to pursue the l
Published January 10th 2017 by Forge Books

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions

Start your review of I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

Well this book was a complete and pleasant surprise! Erin Lyon's debut is a unique and fresh twist on the "non-committal playboy who falls for the girl" storyline. It's addictive and sexy with a mix of humor! I could NOT put it down!

The novel is set in a sort of alternative version of our modern world where people don't get married; they sign contracts instead. The contracts run for 7 years and at the end, you can either re-up or cancel the contract and move on. Instead of divorces, there ar
Hildy
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was sooo good! I just finished and I'm giddy and... really desperate. I need that second book!

I gave up my blog a little over a year ago and this may be the first time that I actually regret it. I wish I had a larger audience to share my thoughts. Contemporary romance readers need to get on this!

I didn't know what I was getting into when I started. I went in blind and was only going on the recommendation of my friend Megan, who loved it. She doesn't love everything so I had a feeling that t
Maryam
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, romance
I really don't what to write about this book. It wasn't bright but on the other hand I liked it, almost!

This a world that marriage doesn't exist anymore. People sign 7 years contacts with each other and if both agree they renew their contracts, otherwise it's the end whether you like it or not.
Kate's contract with Jonathan is coming to its end but they have a perfect relationship and she is sure it's being renewed automatically,she is now focused on finding a job at a law firm as a newly graduat
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

3.5 Stars

In this book, the first in the Contract Killers series, the world is the same as today, but with one big difference; there is no such thing as marriage, instead people “sign” with someone. This is basically the same as marriage only it has an end date; 7 years. After the 7 years is up you can either part ways or reup the contract for another 7 years.

Jen
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75

So I loved this book. Go figure considering it was a really random addition to my shelf.

I liked the fact the characters were in their thirties and the way they lived was pretty authentic; texting, working, drinking, talking about boys (but not to death like nothing else in the world mattered). Also the fact that there is no such thing as marriage, only contracts. (They last for 7 years, whereby you can re-up or call it quits. If you breach you pay) It was a nice little subtle twist to the wo
Hollis
I don't want to say to say this book was a disappointment but.. well.

It is likely I may be dropping spoilers the way a stripper drops her panties. Which is to say : casually. You've been warned.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE YOU SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS is not only a great premise, with a great title, and with some really entertaining and funny moments but.. it was just too much. And not enough. But I'm going to break it down into my major issues to try and keep this short.

Crysti Perry
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-2018
Wow. 2 Rom-Coms in a row for me!

Did I read that this was a debut? I'm impressed! I couldn't put it down and now I'm anxious to see how Kate's predicament plays itself out. The characters were all very well developed with distinguishable personality traits (and flaws) that endeared them all to me.....well, maybe not Tony. I can't wait to jump into book 2.
Michelle
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: https://bookbriefs.net**I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions is the first book in the adult romantic comedy series called Contract Killers by Erin Lyon. I loved this book. As soon as I read the title, I knew I was going to love this book. (The title still cracks me up.) I love you,  Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions (hereinafter "I Love You") (see, I can be lawyer funny too...) is set in a world where the con ...more
Lisa Mandina
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Argh! I can't wait for book 2 and this one just came out this week!! Full review to come this Sunday on Lisa Loves Literature.
Krystle Marie
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah! I enjoyed this one so much and can’t wait to see how everything plays out in the next book! 4.5 Stars!
Tina Manuel
Jan 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Not my cup of tea. Could not stand the heroine!
Sofia
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The thing that might appeal to people is that there is no marriage only 7 years contracts, no eternal commitment...because it's different, but technically it's not that different. You don't get a divorce, when you screw up your contract you basically a fine to pay...

I don't know what to say..this book was a mess and didn't catch me. I really didn't connect with this one.
Being chased by 3 dudes?! Come on...all kind of douchebags...
The hot scenes are not that hot. The drama scenes should have more
Amanda
Mar 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
NOPE.

First off, I had no idea this would end in a cliffhanger!

The whole premise of this book is that relationships are based on "contracts" rather than marriages, yet this is never actually explained at any point in this book.

There's a love quadrangle, for lack of a better term. It's ridiculous. I don't want my heroine dating three men at the same time unless they're all sleeping together TBQH! And it's not that I think it's wrong for a single woman to date multiple men--even if one of them is
Linda Grimes
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an entertaining read!

Kate's life is royally screwed up--in the most entertaining way possible--but she powers through it all with the aid of good friend Logek, copious amounts of alcohol, and "contract killer" or two to help her through the breakup of her long-term relationship. Misery never hurt so good!

All I can say is, bring on the next one!
Stacey Kade
Feb 14, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-2017
So much fun! A fresh take on contemporary romance. Eager for the next book. (It IS a series, not standalone.)
Kim Howard
4.5 Stars
This was a very enjoyable and entertaining read. While I could not relate at all to the female lead (Kate), it says something about the writing that I was intrigued and invested to see what happens. The writing was witty and so engaging that it makes this book a fast read. I really enjoyed all the side characters too. From her parents, to the three potential love interests, to her friends; all were memorable. The one major flaw is that it's a two part series and book one ends with no co
Candy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2018
Fun, fast, easy read! A book hasn't consumed me like this in a long time.

Warning, it does end in a cliffhanger, but luckily the sequel is already out.

I can't wait to read the rest of this story!
Liz
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Under the Covers Book Blog

Kate is at the end of her 7 years with Jonathan, the love of her life, and assumes they are going to reup…until he tells her otherwise. Now she

Eileen (BookCatPin)
I'm going to call this book a happy accident because that's what reading I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions (boy that's a mouthful) was. I didn't mean to read it but after the sneak peek I took, I couldn't stop. I should've known better but no regrets cause I fully enjoyed what I read.

Kate is a funny enough main character. She hasn't had the best of luck with her professional life but when her perfect personal life does a 180, her whole world basically gets upended. Kate is
Christine
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've read a story and have been able to immerse myself in a romantic comedy so completely. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy them immensely! But, I usually find, even the most enjoyable ones, just enough removed from reality that I can't relate to the characters as much as I'd like to.

So, I Love You is a refreshing story about Kate, a woman--who just so happens to be my age--who finds herself in a transition period of life. And, while I am in no way able to relate to the r
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Conditions was a fun, fast and unique read. The concept behind the book was different and not done before which is what intrigued me. This book came highly recommended from my friend Megan from Reading Books Like a Boss. And while I enjoyed aspects of the story, I was left at the end with a feeling of being left hanging.

Kate is in a 7 year "contract" with Jonathan until the day that he decides not to re-up the contract. Left devastated, Kate opens up
Kailey (Kathryn is looking for me)
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Well, the goodreads date read tracker is being dumb because I've only read this once and it won't let me fix it...

BUT HOLY COW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CLIFFHANGER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO KNOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

***

And now I have read it twice.

AAAAAAAEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIOOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ashleigh
4.5 Stars

Ugh, that ending! Thank goodness I went with my gut and avoided this book for a year until the second one was available... making people wait that long has to be some sort of cruel & unusual punishment!

I really loved this one! It definitely reminded me of Can I See You Again by Allison Morgan. I really liked the concept of this alternate reality. It was fun, emotional & gave me the butterflies!
Michelle
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be continued... ?!?!?! What!! Very light and fun. Glad there will be another book because I'm enjoying the story, but I'm unhappy I have to wait for it now.

Erin -- I see you read our reviews. WRITE FAST! All of that law stuff taking up your time, that can wait. :)
Erin
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I opened this book, I couldn't put it down.... read the entire thing in one day. Wonderfully written and leaves the reader waiting for the next book.
Candace Armstrong
Thank goodness my great librarian told me this was a cliff hanger last year so I waited to read until second book was out.
Sara
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. It's been a while since I've read any sort of chick lit, and it's been even longer since I've read one I've enjoyed this much! This novel is set in an alternate version of our world, pretty much the same except people don't get married, they get "signed" - sign a seven-year contract that can be renewed if both parties agree. Kate is nearing the end of her first contract and still madly in love with Jonathan. Things couldn't be going better, except for the fact that she's a law school ...more
Narelle Richards
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was incredibly slack with this book - I read it quite some time ago - loved it - laughed out loud and was highly entertained but didn't write a review. I received a copy through NetGalley to read in return for an honest review and recently I saw the sequel come up and thought, oh my, that was quite remiss of me not to sound the trumpet loud and strong about how good this author is and how good this book is as a rather sophisticated rom-com story.
My only criticism back when I first read this bo
Aditi ~ A Thousand Words A Million Books
Thank you so much to Jean Book Nerd Tours and Forge Books for getting me a copy of this book!

The minute I read the synopsis for this book, I knew I wanted to read it. Despite the fact that I'm primarily a YA reader, this book had me laughing, at the edge of my seat, flipping pages and falling in love. More important than anything, it ALSO had me asking if I'm starting to outgrow the YA Genre altogether, but that's a matter for another time, yes?

I Love You Subject to the Following Terms and Con
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Kissing Game
  • The One
  • The Paris Wedding
  • Crashing the A-List
  • Love on Lexington Avenue
  • Sorrisos Quebrados (Quebrados)
  • It Started With a Tweet
  • Hour of the Assassin
  • Virtually Perfect
  • Faker
  • The Forgotten Home Child
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • Bridal Boot Camp (Little Bridge Island, #0.5)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • Love at First Like
  • Bad Bachelor (Bad Bachelors, #1)
  • Island Affair (Keys to Love, #1)
  • Almost Just Friends (Wildstone, #4)
Erin Lyon graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in English and then worked in broadcast television for ten years before going to law school. She is now a practicing attorney and blames all of the people in her life for not trying to talk her out of the whole “becoming a lawyer” thing (except for her brother who, to be fair, did say, "Really?").

Erin’s first two novels, I LOVE YOU SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOW

Contract Killers (2 books)
  • Unconditionally