Start by marking “Slender Man” as Want to Read:
Slender Man

Slender Man

One man’s search for the truth about one of the most intriguing urban legends ever—the modern bogeyman, Slender Man—leads him down a dark, dangerous path in this creepy supernatural fantasy reminiscent of Night Film, House of Leaves, and Illuminae, that will make you question where the line between legend and fact begins

A young man is desperate to find his missing friend .
Published October 23rd 2018 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Slender Man, please sign up.
Kate Expected publication is October 23, 2018.

Michelle
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read a couple of books this year that have tipped their hat to the legend of Slender Man. First with Mister Tender's Girl and also with The Tall Man. While those other books deal with teens that commit murder in their undying belief of Slender Man/Mister Tender this is the book that asks the reader to consider what if Slender Man is, in fact, real.

And, Bravo! I don't know who the Anonymous author is but I am a fan of yours whoever you may be.

This book can easily be read within a few hour
Janelle • She Reads with Cats
I had so much fun reading this book! Wealthy high school kids, a missing girl, and a supernatural phenomenon are all essential ingredients to a very enjoyable book.

Matt Barker and Lauren Bailey are close friends, have known each other since they were little, and both attend private school in New York. Even though they know each other better than anyone they keep their friendship a secret as Lauren is a popular girl and Matt tends to keep to himself. One day, Lauren has gone missing and was last
Blair
Another Slender Man novel for 2018 (there was a film this year too). Unlike The Tall Man and Mister Tender's Girl, this story doesn't take the real-life murder case as inspiration, and is better for it. The narrator is Matt, a student at an elite, cliquey New York high school – the Gossip Girl type that's filled with the kids of celebrities and the very well-off. The plot mainly centres on the disappearance of Matt's friend Lauren, though from the start we are fed hints that something will lik ...more
Emily
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Some things that are fictions are also real. Stories can take on lives of their own. Things that are made up can still hurt you."

I first heard about the upcoming Slender Man book at the very beginning of this year when Books in the Freezer talked about new releases on their podcast. I immediately requested a copy, and the book release kept getting pushed back. This month I received an e-mail from the publisher asking if I wanted to review it, and I was so excited!

I am happy to say that I had a
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/10/30/...

The origin of Slender Man as a creepypasta internet meme that gained traction on an online forum before becoming viral and exploding into a worldwide phenomenon has always fascinated me. It’s perhaps one of the best modern examples of how a legend or myth might come to life, its genesis and spread happening in real time for all to observe, especially following a series of violent related incidents widely covered by the m
Lisa
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, review-copy
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2018/1...

OK, this is one seriously addictive and creepy read, and is a perfect pick for Halloween (or any other time of year if you are in the mood). The atmosphere is fantastic, and I love the epistolary style its told in. Fragments of journal entries, text messages, reddit posts, police interviews and recordings are used to lead the reader through a suspenseful mystery. It also makes for a much quicker read, which can be a positive t
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just blew through this whole book in about two and a half hours and WOW.

The beginning bored me to no end and I had a lot of issues but I couldn't put it down at all AND THE ENDING OHMY. It was so creepy to me and I'm so glad I read this!

RTC.
Helen
This was pretty cool. I was vaguely aware of the Slender Man phenomena but also kind of glad I didn't know every little thing about it, so this maybe enhanced my enjoyment of the book.
Written in a kind of patchwork narrative comprised of journal entries, text messages and interview transcripts, we observe the incidence of missing teenage girl Lauren, primarily through the eyes of Matt. We get to witness his mental unraveling and this really ramps up the tension. This was a quick read and very mu
Kayleigh  Sparrow
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Gripped me in the beginning due to the unique format of the story. However as it the book progressed I found my interest wavering, and I realised that I had lost hope that this was going to deliver a good scare, the book just wasn't horror to me. Not nearly enough slenderman in a book named after him.
Christine
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very fitting selection from the October My Book Box. It is a story about a missing teen toward via journal entries and texts. It is a House of Leaves set in today of media.
The action centers around Matt who is concerned for his missing friend and classmate, Lauren. Lauren is a popular girl and Matt, not so much. Of course, Matt’s outsider status makes him something of a suspect to certain members of the school population, and then there are his nightmares.
Nightmares that may or may
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I have been fascinated with the Slender Man phenomenon for quite some time. It's amazing how something that started as a contest turned into something oh so real for some crazy individuals... resulting in murder, cult like following and just plain paranoia.

Recently watched the Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story and so far it's my favorite film re SM. Deliciously creepy and I highly recommend. I was hoping to get that same creep factor in this book but alas, it is YA Horror - though even som
FanFiAddict
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5+/5 Stars

First off, I want to thank the publisher and author (who shall remain nameless) for an advanced reading copy of Slender Man in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this ARC does not influence my thoughts or opinions on the novel.

Are you familiar with Slender Man? This fictional supernatural character originated online as a creepypasta internet meme and just continued to grow from there (books, video games, movies, etc.) Stories of this modern bogeyman typically feature him stalki
Jye
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the inventive way that the book was written. Seeing the story unravel through diary entries, transcripts, recordings, text messages and newspaper clippings to name a few was very fun.

Unfortunately it’s the actual story that lets the whole thing down. It’s rather generic and I didn’t really find it overly scary at all. Still, it’s a really fast paced read and still a bit of fun.
Paul
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story may have a little more spook and thrill than scare, but it is one that is definitely recommended. A Halloween-perfect book that looks at teenage friendships, the anonymity of the internet, and an urban myth that continues to unnerve and affright.

For the full review: https://paulspicks.blog/2018/10/14/sl...

For all my reviews: https://paulspicks.blog
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
First I have to admit that as intrigued as I am about the entity of Slender Man, I didn't know a whole lot about him going in. So I did some research and basically learned he is a tall, skinny man (I guessed as much) with no facial features and long stretching arms which resemble snakes or tentacles. I also learned that Slender Man is deeply connected to Lovecraft horror which is no surprise given the tentacle concept. Thus it should be of no surprise to my followers my desire to read this book ...more
Jessica
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: partner-read
Thanks to Harper Voyager for the free bound manuscript in exchange for my honest review.

I’ll start off by saying that I can see this not being for everyone. The style of writing includes many forms – journal entries, interrogation transcripts, social media, emails, recordings, and more. I think that all of these combined made a compelling story and helped illustrate the wide reach that this entity can have.

Matt Barker is an outcast at a prestigious private school in New York. He keeps to himsel
Lauren
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I could not put it down and I needed more the longer i read. I'm not very well informed about Slender Man to be honest so I was going into this just from reading the back. Very good story and really happy i bought it. Fingers crossed for a follow on.
Lexx Ducharme
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining book! Went quickly, as I suspected it would (as it is written in the style of a young readers novel). Believably modern with different aspects that will keep it fresh for the reader as they zip through it. Best of all? It's actually spooky.
Adron Buske
Nov 07, 2018 added it
Shelves: reviewed
3.5 Star Review from Fictitious Podcast: https://www.fictitiouspodcast.com/sle...

Slender Man is a suspenseful, horror-lite, highly-meta novel about the terrors that may or may not exist outside of our own minds. While the “found footage” tale is unremarkable, it’s a fast, fun read for thriller lovers seeking an evening of entertainment.

* * * * *

Ripped straight from the forum posts that created its titular modern day internet boogey man, Slender Man seems constructed from online culture’s spare
Missy Ansell
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun quick read. If your into creepypastas or Slender Man in particular, I think you’ll like this.

One of Matt’s friends disappears in the middle of the night. He doesn’t think the police are doing enough to help, so he starts to investigate. He believes that Slender man took her, and that he must save him.
TJL
Terrible.

Pretty much NOTHING scary happened until the last half of the book, and what did happen was weak-sauce.

Slender Man is, most effectively, a visual horror myth. Part of what makes him scary is noticing him in places you don't expect to see him. This is why movies and games work so well in adapting the legend: Coming across him accidentally or seeing him slinking around in the background without the main character noticing is what works with this character.

What DOES NOT work is having a 30
Sarah Theis
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember spending the night at a girlfriend's and playing the Slender man PC game with all my besties until the early early morning. Being scared shitless and jumping and yelling when you heard him. I also remember playing Slender man on my xbox a few years ago and being super creeped out. So when I saw this book pop up at #BAMofFindlay I was super excited and took it straight home, even shared a picture on social media because of my excitement. But... I feel let down by the lack of scary/cree ...more
Ella (The Story Collector)
Lauren Bailey has gone missing. Desperate to find her, Matt Barker logs into her iCloud and finds a hidden file containing photos of a mysterious figure in the shadows. And then the nightmares start…

The style of this book made it a very quick and engaging read, because the story is told through a variety of narrative devices, including journal entries, text messages, audio transcripts and newspaper reports – not your usual, straightforward narration. The unorthodox style was refreshing and made
Kylie
Okay, I had heard nothing about this book and picked it up on a whim during a Waterstones trip when my initial purchase goals were disappointed. I enjoyed the mythos stuff that I've seen online but I was never an avid seeker of new SM stuff, so long-time devoted fans may not have the same reaction to this book as I did.

Going in with no expectations, I was really pleasantly surprised and ended up reading the entire thing over a period of 3-4 hours - it is essentially epistolary in format, includ
Jessica
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was suprisingly alright.
Bryan Moreton
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book overall but it's not without some issues. It took a while for the book to get going and the ending was somewhat predictable. However, I liked the style of writing and found it to be a page turner. 3.5 stars.
Roxana
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I randomly picked this book on while browsing Barnes and Noble. I am no reviewer at all this is just my thoughts. The beginning of the novel was a little slow but once it picked up I couldn't put it down. Some of the scenes are creepy and gave me goosebumps. I enjoyed the eliminates that it had from the Slenderman story even from the video game Slender. I believe you will have more enjoyment knowing Slenderman story. Aside from this, I loved the mixed media which helped the story move along from ...more
Anthony Lorino
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible book. I feel I am 100% the target audience for this post-modern Slenderman Thriller. It is written for those who have heard of Slenderman in the past and know of it. That genre has come and gone already, but this treats it as something fresh, something we've all heard of, but still weaves an intricate tale through the "myths".

The methods of storytelling varied throughout the book in fantastic fashion and it literally kept me engrossed in it for the duration of the week it t
Gina  Johnson
It what I was expecting.

I was hoping for a much creepier story. While this was still a good story and written in an interesting format, it wasn’t what I was hoping it would be.
Alicia
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Written in a fun format. Journal entries, letters, prose, allegory, text messages, and newspaper articles. I would have given it four stars, but it got redundant toward the end. I think the author was just trying to make it a smidgen longer, so three stars for unraveling efficiency. All in all, a super fun edition to the Slender Man mythos, that needn't be nutritious to be delicious.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Hollow Tree
  • Dead Bad Things
  • The Owlmen: If They See You They Will Come For You
  • The Memory of Trees
  • Mirror Image
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • The Flatiron: The New York Landmark and the Incomparable City That Arose with It
  • I Am Not Ashamed
  • The Shadow of the Soul (The Dog-Faced Gods, #2)
  • The Faceless
  • 33 Days: A Memoir
  • Earth Quest - Earth Medicine: Revealing Hidden Treasures of the Native American Medicine Wheel - a Shamanic Way to Self-discovery
  • Invisible Nation: How the Kurds' Quest for Statehood Is Shaping Iraq and the Middle East
  • The Chrysalis
  • Shamans Through Time
  • The Hummingbird Dagger
  • The Wolves of London (Obsidian Heart, #1)
  • The Bog
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.