Start by marking “The Color of Our Sky” as Want to Read:
The Color of Our Sky

Read Book* *Different edition

The Color of Our Sky

A sweeping, emotional journey of two childhood friends—one struggling to survive the human slave trade and the other on a mission to save her—two girls whose lives converge only to change one fateful night in 1993.

India, 1986: Mukta, a ten-year-old girl from the lower caste Yellamma cult of temple prostitutes has come of age to fulfill her destiny of becoming a temple pros
Published April 18th 2017 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Our Sky, please sign up.
Rain Hi! It isn't. The author said everything in the book is fiction (although she created Mukta partly based on the daughter of a servant who worked for…moreHi! It isn't. The author said everything in the book is fiction (although she created Mukta partly based on the daughter of a servant who worked for her family when she was growing up).(less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Other days, I'd remind myself what Amma used to tell me-the color of our sky will be bright again so I shouldn't lose hope.

Palm Springs commercial photography

In the late 1980's Mutka's realizes that her caste in life has led her to be dedicated to Yellamma and become a temple prostitute, her Amma is sick and her father is pretty unknown. Her Amma had told her that he was a rich and powerful man but he will never claim a prostitute's daughter as his.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Mutka ends up being rescued and taken back to Bombay to live with a foster fami
Angela M
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful testament to friendship depicted through the story of Tara and Mukta which starts in 1987 in Mumbai. We are introduced to their two different worlds from different castes and then how they are brought together when Tara's father who works to help orphan children , brings Mukta home.

There are alternating chapters narrated by Tara and Mukta and each section begins with a thought from each of them. These were especially telling of what was in their hearts and minds .

"It took me most of
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars rounded up for the prettiest cover I've seen so far this year.

“The only way we can rectify our mistakes is to try and undo the wrong we have done.”

This review is brought to you by . . . .

Houston commercial photography

Do you ever actively search for something that you know will bring you down? It’s been raining here for like 74 years and The Color of Our Sky looked like it might be a winner in the “No, I Don’t Have Seasonal Affective Disorder, I Just R
Dana
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When I picked up this book, admittedly because of its beautiful cover, I never expected the inside to match the outside. This book really touched me and I found myself extremely invested in the characters and the story. The characters are so complex, yet so relatable. Mukta broke my heart.

It was very hard to read about the subject of the Devadasi's, since this barbaric tradition is still alive and well today. I haven't marathoned a book in a long time but I simply could not put it down. The wri
Jeannette Nikolova
Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

*** Actual rating: 3.5  ***

This is one of those books which leave me with very mixed feelings. To be honest, I considered giving it 3 stars instead of 4, but I'm feeling generous today.

The good sides:

1. It's touching and sad. I'm not saying that a sad book or a character's sad story is a good thing, but if a book is able to influence you in any way, it's a good thing. I know, because I've had my fair share of books for which I really didn't give a damn.

2. The cha
JudiAnne
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This eloquent novel will take your breath away. It explores the destiny of two girls in India from different backgrounds who come together and form a bond that is lifelong. Mukta is the child of a prostitute and she is destined to follow in her mother’s footsteps. At 12 years old her grandmother sells her to work as a sex slave. Tara’s father rescues children from horrible situations and tries to provide them with foster homes. Her father brings Mutka to live with them in their home in Mumbi. Tr ...more
Austin
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Let me begin with a bit of a disclaimer regarding my soul: I realize the content and story written in this novel are of utmost social importance, and that inherited prostitution in India is a moral abomination, and that these women lead miserable, suffering lives that I could never truly imagine or know, thank God. This message should resonate throughout Indian society, government, and law enforcement. I truly feel the greatest remorse and sympathy for the humans that these characters and situa ...more
Erin
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A two person narration that brings to the surface the topic of sex trafficking in India spanning the decades of the 80's, 90's and O0's. Tara, an Indian -American returns to India in 2004 to find the lower caste serving girl, Mukta, that was kidnapped from her family home in 1993. Tara, is reminiscent of The Atonement 's Briony, because she has held onto the secret of the role she may have played in the young girl's disappearance.

Solid writing, important topic, strong family drama and a dash of
Vanessa
“We are like the datura flowers that unfurl at night — intoxicating, blossoming in the dark, wilting away at dawn.”

3.5 //
This book's prose is stunning. It really is. As a debut, I was impressed by the particular beauty of the writing. Yet, some things in the novel itself were too predictable, and this was why I couldn't give it five full stars.
What irked me is that some things are way too similar to The Kite Runner, written by Khaled Hosseini. It didn't last too long, but when I read those part
Mobyskine
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A surprised past tragedy that speak its truth years later. I was brought to follow both Tara and Mukta journeys throughout the years giving me both different emotions and thoughts. A regret from retribution, a past secret that suddenly came across, a good read on caste and traditions in India-- the unfairness and ignorance, a mishap in one's humanity. Story wise was okay. Development on plot done well, no dragginess or unrelated side story. Secrets and mystery about some narratives and stuff Tar ...more
Kirstine
(Thank you to Netgalley and Bloomhill Books for this ARC. It's out today!)

There must be something about pain, about the way it touches you so deeply that sometimes you never get back to being the person you once were.

After 11 years away Tara travels back to India, to search for a young girl, Mukta, who was kidnapped while staying with Tara’s family. Tara not only has to face her own guilt and demons from the past, but she must unravel family secrets that she might have preferred to leave alone
Monique
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received this for free from NetGalley
This is by far the best book I have read in a very long time. The story is so beautifully written and the story is absolutely heartbreaking. This one is going to haunt me for awhile.
Marjorie
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarything
In India in 1986, Mukta is only 10 years old when she is coerced into dedicating her life to the Goddess, Yellamma, little knowing that she is pledging herself to be a temple prostitute. But she is rescued from this nightmare and settles into a life with a family in Mumbai, where she becomes fast friends with an 8-year-old girl, Tara. Mukta is treated as a servant but she feels very lucky to have escaped her fate. But then she’s kidnapped and disappears. Eleven years have passed and Tara has tur ...more
Tati
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to thank NetGalley and Bloomhill Books for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

The closest I've ever been to India was Germany. That is, not close at all. Still, I know that India has an extremely rich cultural tradition. I also know that, sometimes, this very same cultural tradition is translated into misery and suffering. For instance, the castes. Labeling someone as untouchable is just so wrong to my Westernized eyes.

And here, the author portrays another tr
Maureen Timerman
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
After I turned the last page of the Color of Our Sky, I knew this book was not over for me. It will be with me for a very long time, the painted images and the characters became very real, and not easy to forget.
We meet head on the caste system that is prevalent in India to this day, and once born your assignment does not change. Thinking of my relationship with my sister’s and how easy my life has been in contrast to what this story portrays and the utter disappointment with your lot.
I had a c
Neelam Babul
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This eloquent and touching novel will take your breath away and touch your heart and soul. It revolves around two girls in India from different backgrounds, Mukta a temple prostitute (Devdasi) and Tara from a normal household loved by her parents.

Mukta is the child of a prostitute and expected to follow in her mother’s footsteps. At 12 years old her grandmother forcefully introduces to life as a sex slave. Mukta's grandmother believes that being a Devdasi, a servant of God is a lifelong traditi
Gel (Whimsy Wanders)
REVIEW ALSO POSTED ON MY BLOG

Thank you to Bloomhill Books for providing me a digital review copy. This does not affect my review in any way.

The Color of Our Sky is the perfect example of a book with a gorgeous cover and an even more beautiful story. Yes, I was lured by the gorgeous cover but I'm very happy I requested this book on NetGalley. This is one of the best books I've read in 2015, I swear.

First of all, I fear that my review for this book will not live up to the greatness of The Color

Andrea
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. The writing is beautiful and the story is heartbreaking and redemptive a wonderful read. There are some points where you know what's coming and sometimes you do and sometimes you don't! In any case the tale is compelling and satisfying and sad and happy and not tied up in a neat little package.
Brenda A
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It was Mukta who taught me the sky was like a stage where clouds formed characters, morphed into different shapes, and drifted toward each other. It told us more stories than we could have ever read, more than our imaginations could afford.

When a story can be so profoundly difficult that it has me both upset and ecstatic at the same time, I call it a success. The Color of our Sky is a study about the concept of the caste system in India, of how much that system dictates the road people's lives t
Hilary
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fiction
Born into very different worlds, Mukta's mother is a temple prostitute who hopes for more for her daughter. Tara's father is higher caste, yet rejects the more traditional views, choosing instead to help bring children out of poverty or slavery.

A strange kinship develops between the two girls while Mukta holds out hope that one day her sky will be bright again, but the tentative happiness does not last. Mukta is kidnapped, and sold to a brothel. Through other girls she quickly learns her fate,
Najila
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is about the friendship between two young girls who grew up in India - Tara a bit privilege, loved by her parents, and Mukta is the daughter of a devdasi (temple prostitute) who will eventually be groomed for the same life. The chapters go back and forth in each girl's voice and the reader learns what happens in each girl's life throughout the years.

The story is a bit sad as it takes you into the world of human trafficking and child prostitution. I found Tara to be quite bratty and I am un
Linda Lpp
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to see the end

A book full of injustices. Crimes against women. brutal and at times fatal force, kidnapping, and women trapped in prostitution brothels. Searches for loved ones and huge efforts to survive and learn about the womens pasts formed a good portion of this novel. Sadness oozed from some of the scenerios, but the strengths of the women managed to leave you wondering what eventually became of their lives.
A great book.
Lynai
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My heart breaks for Mukta and Asha. But yes, there is always hope. More of my thoughts soon.

------------------------

There are stories that entertain and there are stories that challenge the reader and spur him into action. The Color of our Sky, for me, falls into the latter category.

More on It's A Wonderful Bookworld.
Lorie Kleiner Eckert
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Color of Our Sky is set in Mumbai, India. Two main characters are followed in the tale. We start with ten-year-old Mukta who is the child of a “Devdasis,” a temple prostitute, and with eight-year-old Tara who is from an upper-class family. Tara’s father is opposed to many things that happen in his native India and he works to change some of it. Thus, he marries outside of his caste and he tries to help many impoverished children. Ultimately, he brings Mukta into the family to be a household ...more
Chris
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great read. The relationship of the two main characters, ten year old Mukta and eight year old Tara, is a complicated one which takes the reader on a journey through the caste system and the sex slave trade in India. As the story progresses, Mukta is kidnapped and sold into the sex slave trade and ends up in a brothel, initiallly in Bombay and then in Kolkata. The conditions Mukta faces are real eye-openers and the book tells the story of Mukta and other sex slaves in a hear ...more
Suzanne
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had a beautiful quote near the beginning: "I discovered that there's some thing that we all have in common, irrespective of anyone's caste or religion: we all get hurt in life, we all want to survive and be happy, and we all deserve to be treated well. After all, we don't choose where we are born but we can work hard to pave our way to success. And every person on earth deserves that chance. But yet there are no choices for Mukta or others forced into the sex trade. It is a sad story o ...more
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful story about the power of sisterhood!
Mer
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I feel like I need to reread this one just to catch all the wisdom and hope spread throughout it. I love the description of seeing a library for the first time, “a temple for books.” Read it! It’s full of sadness but with hope.
♥ Marlene♥
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
Finished this book this morning.The end was a bit convenient but overall I did enjoy this book.
It is a very sad story and one that is still happening there even though it is against the law but if that law is not looked after, people are very superstitious and will not learn to do it another way. Especially when they are all so poor and there is no support.

The word devadasi literally translates to “god’s female servant.” Parents usually choose to dedicate their daughters as infants to the godde
Laura Jean
This was a difficult book to read at times, but it was a good look into prostitution in India.

• My Drowning
  • This Side of Providence
  • Little Green
  • The Good Sister
  • Republic of Dirt: A Return to Woefield Farm (Woefield, #2)
  • Against a Darkening Sky
  • Things to Do When It's Raining
  • Friday Night Chicas: Sexy Stories from La Noche
  • Tell It to the Trees
  • Everything Was Goodbye
Amita Trasi was born and raised in Mumbai, India. She has an MBA in Human Resource Management, and currently lives in Houston, Texas with her husband and two cats. This is her first novel. Visit her website at www.amitatrasi.com

“The truth remains quiet inside us,floundering like a battered bird,desperately wanting to spread its
wings and fly away.
-TARA”
5 likes
“It took me most of my childhood to realize that traditions have infinite power over us.
-MUKTA”