Start by marking “Ruined” as Want to Read:
Ruined

Ruined

(Ruined #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  11,755 ratings  ·  1,762 reviews
Emelina Flores has nothing. Her home in Ruina has been ravaged by war; her parents were killed and her sister was kidnapped. Even though Em is only a useless Ruined—completely lacking any magic—she is determined to get revenge.

Her plan is simple: She will infiltrate the enemy’s kingdom, posing as the crown prince’s betrothed. She will lead an ambush. She will kill the king
Published April 4th 2017 by HarperTeen (first published May 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Ruined, please sign up.
Caitlyn No foul language, and little sexual themes (beyond kissing and mention of intercourse, though this does not happen). I'm fairly scandalized by…moreNo foul language, and little sexual themes (beyond kissing and mention of intercourse, though this does not happen). I'm fairly scandalized by intimate scenes, and I was not here. :)

I hope that was helpful!(less)
Kim Tim
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  11,755 ratings  ·  1,762 reviews

Emily May
She slipped her hand into his, and when he laced their fingers together, her entire traitor body flushed. She ducked her head, pretending not to notice the bursts of happiness exploding in her chest.

This is absolutely nothing new. Recycled characters and story, with a plot driven by romance.

Yes, part of the problem with this book is that it feels so familiar. Emelina Flores disguises herself as someone else and infiltrates the palace of her enemies (this also happens in some way in Throne of G
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
But with her life—and her family—on the line, love could be Em’s deadliest mistake.
Could be. Would be. Is. You guys know what happens. Without even reading the book, I guarantee you guys know what happens as soon as you read that sentence from the blurb.

This book is not worth reading, if only for the reason that you guys have all read this book before. It is the same as every other pseudo-high-fantasy romance-ridden assassin-who-falls-in-love crap that's ever been published.

It's not even funn
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I thought this book was bloody brilliant! It starts right off with the killing of some royals. Yay, lets start our revenge early =) I mean if you kill my family you best believe revenge is in your future.

Em, Damien and Aren are on a quest to infiltrate the enemy in order to take said enemy out. Em poses as a princess to marry a prince from the enemy camp and Aren goes as one of her guards.

Em and the crew are Ruined and live in Ruina. Most of the Ruined have special powers. Em, unfortunately di
C.G. Drews
I am here to graciously update your (otherwise boring) day with the knowledge that: THIS BOOK IS BRILLIANT. THE END! Hhahhahah. Just kidding. I have so much more to say than that. But I actually shut this book, looked at my dog and said, "So so so good." (FYI: my dog is uncultured swine and didn't care and just left the room. Do not be like my dog.)

I had a feeling I would adore this before I started because a) epic fantasy, and b) Amy Tintera. About 900 years ago Amy Tintera wrote Reboot which I
Lola

Mary swung at her again, and Em grabbed her wrist, yanking the arm with the dagger to the sky.
With her other hand, Em drove the sword into the princess’s chest.

It took five pages before I witnessed the heroine kill someone in cold blood.

That’s how long it took for her to awaken my interest.

And so when I read this following passage: No one feared Emelina Flores, the useless daughter of the most powerful queen Ruina had ever known.
But they would.

I believed every written word.

Emelina want
Sana
Can Em teach me how to be as kickass as her please?? I want to slice and dice bitches with a sword too. 😍 This book was so fun!!

What's it about???

Emelina Flores witnessed the brutal murder of her parents and her sister being kidnapped by the enemy kingdom, Lera. Her people, the Ruined are killed and hunted down every day for their magic and while she doesn't have magic herself, that doesn't make her any less powerful!! Wanting to rescue her sister and seek revenge, she forms a plan that includ
Elena
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
❝No one feared Emelina Flores, the useless daughter of the most powerful queen Ruina had ever known.
But they would.❞

Ruined was a quick read and I was glad I enjoyed most of it. I honestly couldn't put it down even though there were times where I just wanted to give up because nothing was happening. There was a pretty badass heroine, a great friendship that picked each other over anything else, the right amount of romance where nothing was rushed, and a prince who didn't quite enjoy being princ
Bibi
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5 stars**
I hate to spoil, but needs must.

This is a plot and character driven book told in a simple and linear manner.... unfortunately. Sequential in it's telling, I could easily plot a graph of the story as each milestone and arc were unveiled

Revenge plot. That'll be point one on said graph

√ Infiltrate enemy's camp. Point two

√ Discover the nice-looking boy who is an integral part of the enemy's camp

√ Reconnaissance

√ Develop feelings for said boy

√ Begin to doubt the rationale for the rev
Cait • A Page with a View
WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THIS?!

The description might sound like a lot of other YA fantasy novels (like Red Queen, Cruel Beauty, Throne of Glass, and The Orphan Queen), but it's like this perfect mashup of all the best bits so who cares. The pacing absolutely barreled through the plot, yet did a complete job of worldbuilding and never felt like it glossed over anything important. There was seriously not a single page where I was bored... do you know how rare that is?!

So basically Pri
Nasom
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Full Review

Any book that has me shook at how fast I read them, deserves 5 stars.

What I liked
- As I mentioned in one of my updates, I loved the trope represented in this: Girl (Em) hates boy (Cas) because of what boy and his family did to her family. Girl pretends to be the person betrothed to boy. Girl marries boy in order to destroy his country from the inside. Girl realizes boy is not bad. Girl falls for boy. Girl doesn’t know what to do next

- This book was fast-paced. I started reading a
Wendy Darling
I quite liked the author's previous SF duology, so it's disappointing to find this one so lacking in world-building and solid characterization. The book starts off with decent fight scenes, but otherwise there isn't much else that interested me in the beginning. I also can't quite grasp the tone; I think it's supposed to be slightly humorous? But I'm not sure. It felt very off-kilter and sort of silly (reminiscent of a lite dystopian bestseller that shall not be named), and the combination of mo ...more
Caitlin
"No one feared Emelina Flores, the useless daughter of the most powerful queen Ruina had every known.

But they would."

I randomly stumbled across this book in my local Dymocks store and I had honestly never heard of it before. I thought the cover looked cool and I decided to read the blurb. I thought it sounded pretty cool so I bought it and I haven't touched it for about a month. However, I was on instagram two days ago and Amie Kaufman (co author of Illuminae) was talking about book recommenda
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
But...
But...
stitch.gif

This book is so freaking good!
Good writing, incredible setting and world building and absolutely lovable characters.
If you look at it like a period drama, you're in for a ride, but the fantasy factor is a bit weak. Complots and lies, on the other hand, you'll find plenty.
It's still a very entertaining read, no matter how you look at it.
I adore Em like crazy but Cas is my favorite.
The way he always cracks his knuckles reminds me of how Gansey brushes his lower lip with his thumb
Helen 2.0
If you ask me-
This book is not as bad as the negative reviews are saying.
It's also not nearly as good as the positive reviews claim.
Which lands Ruined squarely in the mediocre category.

Emelina, our heroine, is the powerless heir to the fallen kingdom Ruina, which was once filled with the prideful magic users called the Ruined. Their neighboring kingdom Lera conspired to assassinate Em's family, kidnap her sister, and hunt as many remaining Ruined as possible.
Em makes a daring plan to impersona
Ben Alderson
2.5

Really enjoyed the beginning, then it was just to samey samey.... hmmm.
This is my rating, it may change once I properly think about it!
ambsreads
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ambsreads by: Caitlin
So, turns out I'm super shitty at getting to those "review to come" reviews. Oops? Almost two weeks later I am here to write this review and my brain is still completely exploded from this book. Do you ever read a book and honestly have no clue how to put your opinions in words?

That is me @ Ruined.

A kickass main character, a beyond awesome plotline and an even better romance. Honestly, I adored this book. When a character is willing to murder someone in the opening pages I am on board.

There's
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
*Full review update*
Thumbs up, Amy Tintera, keep doing your thang. This was the perfect weekend read for me...

Cute, light weight, fast read- and pretty stinking adorable. Alright whatever maybe I'm referring to a certain character but don't judge k thanks.

So Ruined is definitely up my alley.

Castles? Check.
Magic? Check
Badass Heroine? Check.
Prince? Check.
Battles/action/wars? Check.

The above is pretty much my standard 'Brittney recipe of success' on whether or not I'm going to enjoy a book... so
Nastassja

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Make people fear you, Emelina. Her mother’s words echoed in her head. Stop worrying about what you don’t have and start focusing on what you do. Make people tremble when they hear your name. Fear is your power.

Sorry to disappoint you Mom, but, well, fear and Emilina are not compatible. One moment the girl's a highly trained assassin, the next moment she's an uncertain girl who barely knows what to do with her body. This constant state of ambivalence got on my nerves quick

Riley
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-releases
This book was very hard to put down and I read it in one sitting. While it's filled with a lot of the typical YA fantasy tropes I found it highly entertaining and action packed. It also had my all time favorite trope where two enemies are forced into a political marriage. So cue the angst.
Zainab
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Always figured there was punishment waiting for me after death. Your face is my punishment, isn’t it?”

This book is not the least bit funny,hell, it's borderline sad but I found this dialogue too good to not put it in.

I'm kind of mad that some really godawful books keep gravitating towards me when books like these are so hard to find.
Anyway, I loved it. I really loved it. The sad part is that I didn't think I'd like it enough to continue the series so now I kind of have to get the other parts
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
I am EXTREMELY hopeful about this one. I'm only a few pages in, and MC and crew have already slaughtered a royal caravan so MC can replace the princess. *sing songs* Awwwwwwwwsome.
Jiana
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5

Buddy read with Tweety!!

One word to describe Ruined: Boring

I was literally bored the entire time I was reading this. I couldn't connect to any of the characters (except Cas, he's a cutie) and the plot. I just wasn't invested at all. I sat there reading and just wanting it to end. I hate DNFing books and I always have hopes they'll pick up, but unfortunately Ruined didn't pick up. I'm probably a minority because a lot of reviews I read were praising how fast it was. Who knows. Might be because
kat
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
that was sO fun wow also the best part was how many times the mc cried bc honestly that’s just some 12/10 relatable content right there

thanks to the person who rec’d this to me (assuming i see this lol) you’re the real mvp
Christian
Could have been executed a lot better, but also a lot worse. All in all, a bit underwhelming, but it definitely sets the series up nicely, and I'm excited to see where it goes!

rtc. (Or not. Who even knows at this point.)
may ❀
Buddy read with my big sista, juanna bc we haven't buddy read in forever and that tragedy ends now

“You were born useless, but you don’t have to be helpless”

This book has me VERY confused on how I feel about it.

On one side, it followed a cliché plot but at the same time, I stayed up till 12:30 so I could finish it !! (I DON’T STAY UP PAST 10:30pm OKAY)

description
Pros:
- the characters are v v loveable – you just can’t help rooting for them
- the writing is very easy to follow
- the beginning is fa
✘Tabby✘
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favorites
THE REVIEW

Why this book?
This sounded awesome

What I thought

This book was amazing it was full of action, love and loyalty. It was captivating and the writing is riveting. The plot was fast paced and had some surprising twists and turns. The characters are well written and well developed. Em is a kick ass heroine who is ready for revenge. I absolutely loved Cas he has a beautiful heart and doesn’t believe what his father is doing is right. The romance was bittersweet, and it was a slow burn, no ins
Alyssa

Publication Date: May 3, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Emelina Flores has nothing. Her home in Ruina has been ravaged by war. She lacks the powers of her fellow Ruined. Worst of all, she witnessed her parents’ brutal murders and watched helplessly as her sister, Olivia, was kidnapped.

But because Em
Stacee
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Amy's other series, so I was beyond excited to see what her new book was going to be about. Oh man, I was woefully unprepared for the amount of awesome.

Em is an awesome MC. She doesn't have magic, and while that's seen as a disadvantage in her kingdom, she puts together quite a plan. Of course things don't necessarily turn out the way she planned and how it plays out is fabulous.

Cas is lovely and I really enjoyed being able to see his side of everything. There are a lot of other excellen
Lainey
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be posting a review closer to the release date but I highly highly enjoyed this one. It had everything I loved in a YA fantasy.
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was exciting! I’m looking forward to where this series is going. Ruined is a high-stakes YA fantasy about revenge.

Emelina lost everything a year ago when both her parents, the King and Queen of Ruina, were killed and her sister Olivia was kidnapped. Her country is being destroyed and her people are being killed. Now all Em wants is revenge. And she will get it.

Ruina is a country where the people have these magical powers that can be deadly. If you are a Ruined with powers, you have marks o
Just One More Page!: Ruined 4 4 Oct 16, 2017 04:59PM
Lost book: No title or Author 2 15 May 27, 2017 10:18AM
First5: Ruined 6 44 Apr 29, 2016 07:44AM
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire, #2)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Traitor Angels
  • The Rift
  • The Skylighter (The Keepers' Chronicles, #2)
  • Nameless (Nameless, #1)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Sword and Verse (Sword and Verse, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • The Immortal Heights (The Elemental Trilogy, #3)
  • Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • Waer
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
Hi! I'm Amy Tintera, NYT Bestselling author of the REBOOT duology and the RUINED trilogy. My next book, ALL THESE MONSTERS, comes out Spring 2020.

Ruined (3 books)
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
  • Allied (Ruined #3)
“Kind, reasonable, thoughtful. It wasn't 'love' or an admission of wild, passionate feelings, but he realized he liked her three words more. 'Love' would have been easy, another easy lie in a long line of lies. 'Love' would be easy to dismiss.” 27 likes
“Of course I wasn't pretending!” The words exploded out of her before she could stop them. Heat spread across her cheeks.
Cas's mouth had been open, ready with a reply, and he snapped it shut.
She cleared her throat. She'd already embarrassed herself horribly, might as well finish it off. “I fully intended to ignore you, but it turns out you're very hard to ignore. I never pretended to feel anything for you, Cas. All of that was real, and definitely never part of the plan. And I should have...” A lump formed in her throat, and she swallowed, her voice shaking. “I should have warned you about the attack. I should have trusted you. I'm sorry.”
15 likes