Start by marking “The Adventures of Laura Jack: Reillustrated Edition” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Laura  Jack: Reillustrated Edition

The Adventures of Laura Jack: Reillustrated Edition

(Little House Chapter Books: Laura #1)

Laura Ingalls Wilder's nine original Little House books have been read and cherished by millions of readers. Gentle adaptations of these celebrated stories have been gathered together here in a brand new series of Little House Chapter Books. With simple captivating text and Renee Graef's breath-taking artwork created in the style of Garth Williams, Little House Chapter Boo ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by HarperCollins (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Laura Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Laura Jack

Maria
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are great if you love Laura and need a quick read! they are so cute and totally worth the read!
Kate
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book I read by myself.
Jordan Griglin
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Adventures of Laura and Jack by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Copyright 1932
Historical Fiction

*Spoiler Alert* The Adventures of Laura and Jack by Laura Ingalls Wilder is a story of how a watchdog, Jack, kept his family save throughout everything. In the beginning, the family decides it’s time to move out west. They pack up the house into the wagon and head out. Mary and Laura sit in the wagon as Ma, Pa and baby Carrie sat in front. Jack, their watchdog, would walk along the wagon to keep them save. O
Angie
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review: I picked this book up because I am a fan of the original Laura Ingalls Wilder books but Munchkin has been having a hard time sitting through even one of the books. This is a great one for introducing the story to young kids without the long books. I really enjoyed the various adventures of Jack, he really was a great dog (though I only remember him a little from the original stories). There are some gaps in the storyline to keep it focused on the ones Jack is involved in but I don't t ...more
Wendy Reillo
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my daughter and she loved it! She has a soft spot for dogs and she was able to connect with Laura in that aspect. We really enjoyed the simplicity and the purity of those times, it also made her want us to buy her a dog. The fact that she at her age can still appreciate stories like these make this book worth the read.
Julie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidreads
This series is a shorter version of the original Little House series, and I love reading them with my 8 year old! Each book seems to have a theme and picks a few examples of related stories from the original, longer series, shortening them for younger readers. This book was just stories of Laura and Jack. Bonus: the newer illustrations are fabulous!
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
I would have a hard time giving less than 5 stars to Laura Ingalls Wilder even if the book was put together from sections of her previous books. She has a lot to do with my addiction called reading.

A kid and her dog. A kid and her dog in the wild woods and prairies. A winning combination invoking rapt attention from my boys. We went from young dog Jack to old dog Jack and, yes, I still get choked up when Jack goes to the Happy Hunting Grounds.

This was a great chapter book for my young readers.
Karen
10/26/09 An interesting little read after growing up reading the Little House on the Prairie Series (and of course watching the TV show!)

This particular book took episodes from Laura's life that involved Jack, the dog. Each chapter shared an experience they two had. I do have higher hopes for other "A Little House Chapter Book" series. But we'll see if Annabelle likes them enough to read more. She seemed to think it was okay, but made no comment of excitement as we read it.
Dayna
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
Linda Klinedinst
This book is so very good. I dearly love this series. There are 14 Books,in this series. These books are clean family type stories and that is what I love about this series.

I give this book 5/5 Stars and I highly recommend them. I am hoping that my Library has all 14 Books in this series. I have Book #2 which I got from my Library.
Colleen
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First chapter book I've read with my girls and they loved it! It was hard for us to keep to just one chapter a night (they are short) and the content seemed appropriate enough for their ages (3 and almost 5). Looking forward to more of Laura Ingalls Wilder, especially when they graduate to the real ones.
judy_k26
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Little House Chapter Books are adaptations of the Little House series of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and they are adaptations that are done well. They are meant to be read by children who are beginning to read chapter books, and are both interesting and educational. The Adventures of Laura and Jack is the first in the series of Little House Chapter books.
Alison Lake
This was a great way to introduce a beloved series to my three year old. She's not quite ready for the full Little House books, but this book helped her understand the background settings and characters for when we dive into the original series later. I also like that the stories are lifted and compiled directly from the original books.
Jacque
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MD read this aloud to me. She gave it 5 stars. I give it 4. She like the book because it was an adventure story and liked that Laura was not afraid of trying new things. She likes learning about the "old days."
Molly
Forced by my children to stop reading before last chapter because...Jack dies.

I didn't know that this was just a series of jumpy excerpts from the longer books. I thought it was going to be new content (kind of an "inspired by" rather than "excerpted from.")
Monica
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only negative for this selection of stories is that Jack dies at the end!!! Very hard for my son to deal with, and I was trying not to cry (which that further worsened it for my son)!!! Otherwise, a great collection of stories.
Anna
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-by-myself
They were best friends. Jack would guard their house while they were sleeping. In the daytime he would play with Laura. Jack almost got washed over when they went across the river in the covered wagon. When the river was calm he swam across.
Catherine
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is so cool anyone who loves realistic fiction will love this
Meadow Frisbie
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute. They took some of the main stories from the original book and put them into easy-to-read chapters for children.
Ewa
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L: LG - BL: 3.5 - AR Pts: 1.0
Lauri
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for kids. I do feel there's a slight awkwardness to how it jumps from book to book. It always bugs me that Jack's death gets to me when I know that he and the Ingalls parted ways much sooner.
Rosa Cline
4 star

This is a collection of 'chapters' from the actual novels about Laura and Jack. Compiled into one book
Amber
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read with a 6 year old. We laughed, we cried...
Neysa
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great beginning reading book.
Mgerwig44gmail.Com
Jan 02, 2014
*Lois
Mar 23, 2017

• Kirsten on the Trail
  • Across the Puddingstone Dam (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #4)
  • Horrible Harry and the Purple People
  • Children Just Like Me
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Things People Do
  • You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Nettie's Trip South
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Ghost Class (Ghostville Elementary #1)
  • An Accidental Seduction (Accidental, #1)
  • Mandie and the Washington Nightmare (Mandie, #12)
  • Again, Josefina!
  • The Black Pearl Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #64)
  • The Secret of the Attic (Magic Attic Club, #1)
  • An Angel With Fur
  • Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.

Little House Chapter Books: Laura (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Pioneer Sisters (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #2)
  • Animal Adventures (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #3)
  • School Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #4)
  • Laura & Nellie (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #5)
  • Farmer Boy Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #6)
  • Little House Farm Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #7)
  • Hard Times on the Prairie (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #8)
  • Little House Friends (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #9)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura's Ma (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #11)