Start by marking “The Upside of Unrequited” as Want to Read:
The Upside of Unrequited

The Upside of Unrequited

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  7,975 Ratings  ·  2,273 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters C
Published April 11th 2017 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Upside of Unrequited, please sign up.

Carolyn If you're going to read both Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and this book, I would pick up Simon first because Simon has a cameo in this book. I…moreIf you're going to read both Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and this book, I would pick up Simon first because Simon has a cameo in this book. I vaguely remember a spoiler in this for Simon, actually.(less)

Emily May
Apr 11, 2017 Emily May rated it it was ok
I can’t decide if this is funny or sad, but I’ve spent so much time wanting a boyfriend that I can’t imagine not wanting one. I can imagine saying I don’t want one. But I can’t imagine it being true.

I'm really surprised to see so many positive reviews of The Upside of Unrequited from GR members who thought Holding Up the Universe was problematic. To me, this is more of the same. This might be the author who brought us the wonderful and hilarious Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, but these cha
Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
I loooooved this! I found it to be so relatable and just amazing. Stayed tuned for a review/discussion to hear more thoughts!
Adam Silvera
Oct 14, 2015 Adam Silvera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2016-reads
I was stupid to worry that I wouldn't love this book as much as I love SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA. I love both books for different reasons, and I love both books fiercely. Molly has such a winning voice and winning heart and I can't wait for you all to meet her.

Becky remains one of my favorite authors ever, even if she does have ill taste in Oreos. (GOLDEN OREOS FOREVER.)
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Ok, I'm ready to write a full review of this now. Maybe. So many good things to say, so little time.

Before I get into the quality of the book, let me just give you a breakdown of the diversity represented here because it was honestly incredible and this is the exact world that I want to see in YA contemporaries from now on.
-Pansexual (on page) side character who is also Korean-American
-Multiple lesbian side characters
-Bisexual side character
-Minor gay characters
-Jewish main character, side chara
Cait (Paper Fury)
So two things:
(1) I'M SORRY I READ THIS SO EARLY. I'm honestly not here to brag or anything. #donthurtme But I know that if I don't review it now I will forget everything of ever and it will be embarrassing. SO. I'll keep this review spoiler-free (of course) and brief!
(2) It's hard not to compare it to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda! I shall try. I loved that book to freaking pieces and so I didn't love this one as much which is why it's just 4-stars. But I feel like it's in the shadow of it'
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
♥ My April Owlcrate ♥

I'm on the toilet at the 9:30 Club, and I'm wondering how mermaids pee.

This isn't random. There's a mermaid Barbie attached to the door of the bathroom here. Which is a pretty odd choice for a bathroom mascot. If that's even a thing. Bathroom mascots.

This book had me at those first few lines and yes I'm weird and NO, I don't care. I loved this book so much =)

When I first read the summary of this book, I thought I probably won't like it. Then I got it in my Owlcrate and s
Emma Giordano
Mar 08, 2017 Emma Giordano rated it really liked it
Thank you so much, Harper Collins, for providing me with a free copy of this book to review!
4.5 stars! I really really enjoyed this read. I recently read Simon & LOVED it so I was super pumped to pick up Becky's next work *that comes out on my birthday.*

This was an unbelievably adorable, cute, funny, fluffy, give-you-all-the-feels kind of read. (So like, what you would normally expect from Becky) [But speaking of Becky's other books, I would definitely recommend reading [book:Simon vs. the
emma
So...a 4.1 average rating. Heaps of praise-filled reviews. Fangirling galore. I should've liked this. What the hell went wrong?

I feel like I read a totally different book. I didn’t see a swoony romance, or a relatable character, or...much of anything really. What I did see was a very f*cked-up way of discussing feminism and other social issues, intolerable teens, and a boy fixation that refuses. To. Disappear.

So let’s get into it. Unpopular opinion time!

CH
Lola  Reviewer
Sex and relationships are important subjects. Teen boys and girls are especially curious about them. How does it work? How does one get a boyfriend or girlfriend? When is the right time for those two things?

Molly Peskin wants to fall in love with someone and for that person to fall in love with her back very badly, but she’s scared. Her sister doesn’t seem to be daunted by anything; she even got herself a really cute girlfriend in a short amount of time.

Becky Albertalli did a fairly good job ill
Larry H
Apr 13, 2017 Larry H rated it really liked it
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

Becky Albertalli, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

I fell in complete and utter love with Albertalli's first book, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (see my original review). I devoured it in less than a day, and it was a no-brainer that the book showed up on my list of the best books I read in 2015.

As you might imagine, the minute her newest book, The Upside of Unrequited , came out, I pounced. I bought it at like 12:01 a.m. on the day it was released—I set
Amber Robertson
Let's teach people that the only way to achieve high self esteem is by boys liking you back!

Yeah, how about no.

I don't think this author and I are a match. I'm not sure I will enjoy her books. I was so frustrated by the fact Molly was basically basing her self worth on her friends attempts to get her a boyfriend it overshadowed the rest of the plot.

Not only that, but I felt this book was incredibly childish. I didn't enjoy the writing and felt myself cringing at the writing, especially the ove
Cait • A Page with a View
Release date: April 11, 2017

THIS is how you write a diverse book with realistic characters!! This whole thing was hilariously real and wonderfully done.

Let me just lay out the these characters to start with:

Molly: the main character. She is obsessed with Pinterest, shops at Modcloth, is fat, Jewish, and has had 27 crushes without ever being kissed. I absolutely LOVED her character. When a guy tells her she's "gorgeous for a big girl" she just says "fuck you." A lot of her story focuses on getti
Pouting Always
Jun 16, 2017 Pouting Always rated it really liked it
During a night out with her twin Cassie, Molly meets a girl in the bathroom who she instantly knows is Cassie's dream girl. The girl from the bathroom, Mina, and Cassie hit it off and Cassie manages to get Mina's number that night. Molly is happy for her sister but at the same time Cassie's new relationship begins to make her think about her own lack of a love life and the growing distance between her and Cassie. Molly is used to being the closest person to Cassie and has a hard time learning to ...more
Natalie Monroe

"If I like a guy, I'm supposed to tell him. Maybe in Cassie's world, you can do that and have it end in making out. But I'm not so sure it works that way for fat girls."

So this review is going to be a little personal. By that, I mean I'm going to ramble and waste ten minutes of your time, depending on how fast you read. Free feel to grab a bagel.

When I was sixteen, the standard YA age, I was a painfully introverted kid. Not the fun John Green kind, but the really sad kind that makes y
Warda
Jun 19, 2017 Warda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I AM MUSH, PEOPLE! FUCKIN' MUSH! This book has made me flail with excitement several times. I LOVED IT SO MUCH! I don't think I'm going to review this book. What are reviews anyway?! Who decides they have to be coherent and whatnot? My overexcitement alone shows how perfect every single page was for me and how much I loved it. AND SO I WANT TO THROW THIS BOOK AT EVERYONE SO THEY CAN READ IT AND DIE OF CUTENESS AND HAPPINESS!

GAAAH MY BRAIN IS NOT FUNCTIONING RIGHT NOW.

OVER AND OUT!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 25, 2017 Chelsea (chelseadolling reads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This book was mega cute. Not as good as Simon in my opinion, but still so good. And it was amazingly refreshing to read a book about a fat girl that actually accurately represents what it's like to be a fat girl and I AM SO ABOUT IT. So great.
Maureen
May 02, 2017 Maureen rated it really liked it
I'm crying because that ending was so beautiful????

Alright this book. I went in with really really high expectations and expecting that it would be a book of my HEART and I would relate a lot to the main character because of similar situations. And I did relate! Just not a lot. Or as much as I had hoped. Probably some of my disappointment (very minor disappointment!) comes from setting too high of expectations. BUT ON WITH THINGS I LOVED.

The diversity in this book was A+++++++ to infinity. It wa
Heather 'Bookables'
4.5/5

Oh the adorableness! Such a cute, diverse read! I can see why so many people love this book! It's so adorable and super diverse and the main character is so relatable!!
This is a perfect summer read!
I did dock off half a star because so much cussing which honestly is just a personal preference and I did find the writing to be a tad to simplistic.
Other than that I seriously loved this book!
Stacee
As soon as I saw Becky's name on the cover, I knew it was going to be something I would read, so I went into this not knowing anything about it.

Love love loved Molly. She's smart and insecure and funny and unsure. I don't think I've ever identified with a MCs inner monologue as much as I did with her. Cassie and Mina and Reid and the rest of them were all fabulous, but this is 100% about Molly and Becky portrayed that perfectly.

I'm a huge fan of positive and present parents and Nadine and Patty
prag ⚓
It’s official. I want to marry Becky Albertalli and keep her in my pocket forever.

Creepy? I’ll tell you what’s creepy: how she can embody me into her books. Because honestly? I’m Molly. And I’m Simon. And I am very much in love with Becky Albertalli for creating these characters.

I can’t seem to shake this perpetual awareness of being Molly.

● Molly is so cute asjhdgwbsanxyw
● And she’s fat - but don’t worry, it’s not a book were she “learns to accept herself” or “starts working out and eat
✨    jamieson   ✨

3.5 stars!

I, like Molly, am a Chronic Crusher. Maybe not 26 crushes, but a few - blonde ben, biker conor, buswalk alex, supermarket kalen, dimples melanie,
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

My face hurts from smiling so much. The Upside of Unrequited is the cutest book to ever cute.

It was a fantastic coming of age story about learning to accept yourself. Filled with diverse characters, sisterhood, and concerns people go through every day, it was a terrific portrayal of real life.

Upside is Becky's second book, her first being Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda, one of my favourites and also so ridiculously adorable. It's h
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oct 05, 2016 Korrina (OwlCrate) rated it it was amazing
Adored this even more the second time. I can't wait for the world to meet Molly. I've never connected with a character this strongly before. This was me in highschool!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Feb 06, 2017 April (Aprilius Maximus) rated it really liked it
Shelves: anxiety, 2017
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy for review! :)

Becky Albertalli's first book, Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, was one of my favourite books of 2015. It was hilarious, adorable, gripping and filled with Harry Potter references. I mean, what more could you possibly want in a book? When I heard that she was coming out with a companion novel I may have peed my pants a little. Not only would we get another refreshing, authentic story, but we'd also (hopefully) g
Lotte
4.5/5. I think I even liked this a little bit better than Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda??? Molly is such a lovely character that I could relate A LOT to and her family was all kinds of adorable. The cast of this book is really diverse (Molly's family is mixed-raced and she has two moms, her sister is a lesbian, there are multiple Jewish characters, a pansexual character, etc. etc.) and it just seems very aware of current feminist and social issues (for example, there's talk about how virgini ...more
Christy
4.5 stars!

photo 200_zpshbd1owzj.gif

I ADORED THIS BOOK!!!!
“Molly, you are Pinterest as fuck.”

Molly is a fantastic and relatable leading lady. She’s a teenager with a fraternal twin sister and she has never had a boyfriend. She’s had crushes galore, but she’s terrified of being rejected so they never go past that crush stage. This all changes when her sister Cassie gets a new girlfriend. All of a sudden Cassie is too busy for her, and then she wants to hook her up with one of her girlfriends friends, Will. So ther
Tran Thanh Tu
Okay, remember that time I told y'all I love “Simon vs the Homo sapiens agenda”? Well, believe it or not I adore this one so SO much more! Why you may ask? Do continue reading..

The story is just RELATABLE on so many levels to young readers, I myself included. The way Becky describes and develops her characters' feelings as well as emotions is incredibly pure and realistic, I mean as a psychologist herself I think she has done a really good job!

Not to mention the book's plot is satisfyingly inte
Dahlia
Sep 22, 2015 Dahlia rated it it was amazing
I beta (gamma? it was late) read this and it was so freaking good I could die.
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
I know, I know. This is a disaster. The Upside of Unrequited – a novel I've been looking forward to for months – received only 3 stars from me. I'll need some Oreos to get over this. Overall, I liked it fine but I'm so disappointed I didn't like it more. This is Becky Albertalli, after all. I feel like she wanted too many things with this book. The Upside of Unrequited and I just didn't click. That spark I had with Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda? Inexistent. There was no chemistry between me ...more
  • Alex, Approximately
  • The Names They Gave Us
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • Bad Romance
  • Letters to the Lost
  • This Promise I Will Keep
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
  • Untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
  • By Your Side
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • In a Perfect World
  • Long May She Reign
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Just Friends
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
(Photography by Decisive Moment Events)
More about Becky Albertalli...

“I don’t entirely understand how anyone gets a boyfriend. Or a girlfriend. It just seems like the most impossible odds. You have to have a crush on the exact right person at the exact right moment. And they have to like you back. A perfect alignment of feelings and circumstances. It’s almost unfathomable that it happens as often as it does.” 39 likes
“There’s just something terrifying about admitting you like someone. In a way, it’s actually easier when there’s no chance of anything happening. But there’s this threshold where things suddenly become possible. And then your cards are on the table. And there you are, wanting, right out in the open.” 15 likes