Start by marking “Lucky Girl” as Want to Read:
Lucky Girl

Lucky Girl

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Being a pretty girl is who Rosie is, but it’s the start of a new school year and she wants to be more. Namely, she’s determined to be better to her best friend, Maddie, who’s just back from a summer program abroad having totally blossomed into her own looks. Rosie isn’t thrilled when Maddie connects with a football player who Rosie was hooking up with—but if it makes her f ...more
Published April 25th 2017 by Balzer + Bray

Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
It’s my fault he sees me like that - I am like that.
But it’s not my fault he doesn’t see that I’m a person, too.

I am so torn on this book. It is an exploration of rape culture, slut-shaming, self-worth, and it is all rather powerful. What brings it down is the additional, unnecessary plot lines going on throughout.

Rosie is a beautiful girl and she knows this. She is a proud flirt who knows the whole boy thing. She just gets it. Where her best friend Maddie is more the nerdy, sporty one who goe

““You could be a model,” I finally manage to say. She laughs like I’m joking, and I’m glad because that means she can’t hear how jealous I sound. Am I jealous? God.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who gets sexually assaulted.

Rosie was quite a shallow girl, and she seemed quite selfish too. Her best friend came back from a summer abroad and all she could think about was how pretty her best
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary without romance and feminist themes
I'm somewhat shocked this book isn't getting more publicity. It's got all the character work and depth of Courtney Summers, yet with a slightly less issue-novel tone and a less "cliche unpopular girl" protagonist.

Our heroine, Rosie, is a popular girl. In fact, she's the “pretty” one in her friendship with Maddie. But after Maddie's new love interest tries to assault Rosie, she becomes the "school slut" and is abandoned by Maddie.

I'm sure you'll have figured out by now that this is a book about
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: April 25, 2017
Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Lucky Girl is an important young adult novel that explores sexual assault. In addition to this, the author touches upon self esteem and how far one may go in order to be popular. Both of these themes and more make the story stand out and I hope many will consider reading it. With that, this is a well written and eye opening novel that will not only appeal to young adults, but older adults as well. The story is very relatable, although it
Rachel Solomon
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book flew by. Important, but never preachy. Realistic, but hopeful. I love discussions of beauty in YA -- I think because so many girls don't feel beautiful at this age, and so many others won't admit they do like their looks for fear of being called arrogant or self-absorbed. So it felt fresh to read a character who knows she's beautiful, and maddening how others feel "entitled" to that beauty simply because that's what she puts into the world. A lot to unpack here. Eager to discuss it wit ...more
Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)
I love Amanda Maciel. I love that she writes books with less than perfect protagonists that make me think. This was beautiful and tragic and so important for everyone to read.
♥Booklish Reviews♥
***WARNING: BOOK MIGHT MAKE YOU STAY UP ALL NIGHT READING***

What follows is not a review, but a fangirl-ish "episode". (I'm sorry, I'm just too excited!) I finished this book at 4am yesterday and had to forced myself to go to sleep, when all I wanted to write the review right then while things were fresh! So I went to bed and decided to sleep on it...

First, you've got Rosie. She's gorgeous, outgoing, and a flirt. Her best friend had it hard last year, and Rosie's made it her goal to make sure s
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

TW: sexual assault

Rosie is pretty. She likes being pretty. She likes getting boys attention. But she also wants to be more than that. She wants to be a better best friend to Maddie who has just returned home from summer camp in Europe a different girl. But also deep down, Rosie is jealous. Rosie was always the prettier one. She's especially jealous when Maddie starts getting closer to the football player Rosie has been hanging
Lis  Carcamo (The Reader L)
3.5/4 stars

This was my first book by Amada Maciel, I was a bit sad that I never got to read Tease because many of my friends loved it. Just like Tease was an important book, Lucky Girl is, too. I wish I read a book like this when I was younger and I hope young readers have the chance to read it, too.
TW: Lucky Girl is a book about rape culture. If you have any triggers about rape, I’d suggest you keep this in mind.

I had a hard time connecting with Rose in the first pages of the book, because she
Amy Miller
A friend described this book as a "donut"--sugary sweet, fluffy nothingness that doesn't amount to anything but feels good while you're consuming it. And for the first half of the book, I totally agreed. At moments it was inane; at others, it rang so true to the teenagers I know (as a high school teacher, that number is quite large), that I smiled in familiarity.

But the second half of the book was different. It explored rape culture, slut-shaming, and the hazy gray area of sexual assault in a wa
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, favorites
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got as a reviewer for YA Books Central.
Diversity Rating: 1 – Tokenism
Racial-Ethnic:
1 (there’s one black character who’s barely in the book)
QUILTBAG: 1 (Rosie’s other best friend Ryan is gay and he gets a cute football player boyfriend, but they just aren’t in the book much)
Disability: 0
Intersectionality: 0

What I remember best about Amanda Maciel’s debut novel Tease is that its ARC and hardcover had covers reflective enough that I cou
Christina
This one is probably going to hurt me. But even if it hurts, that doesn't make it any less important.
Tina
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Amy's Book Reviews
Margot
My favorite genre is ficion so of course I wanted to read it right off the bat. One of the things that hooked me on this book was that it was about a high school girl which I could relate to because I am in 10th Grade. I picked out this book during the Summer, but never got around to reading it. When my teacher mentioned that we would be reading a choice book each month, immediately I knew I wanted to read this one first. It covers the heavy and contraversial topics about sexual assault, social ...more
Bianca
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I can see what he sees. A girl who drinks, who wears short skirts. Who gets dressed up so that people will look at her, think she’s pretty. A girl everyone does think is pretty. A girl who likes attention and dark rooms and boys and parties and dumb, flirty conversation.

It’s my fault he sees me like that—I am like that.

But it’s not my fault he doesn’t see that I’m a person, too.”
Courtney (Storybook Slayers)
I need some time to really formulate a review for this. but disclaimer: this novel does contain a scene of sexual abuse. I have her strong feelings about the matter, so writing a review for Lucky Girl will take me some time. A satisfying story with a happy ending depending on the readers outlook. I did love the snark and banter from Rosie. More to come soon.
Bianca Wilkins
I am excited to read this book omg
Walt
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the exploration of Rosie going through her unflinching discoveries of what the book says will occur with discovering self worth and beauty, but also including the talks through sexual assault that happens. To me it felt like I was in the story going through everything that happens, i would like to read another book like this.
Elizabeth
I wish Goodreads had half stars, because this book should get 3.5 stars. I felt that the characters were realistically depicted for their ages. it was an easy and quick read.
Teresa
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to read in parts but I was really impressed with the story and the way that the author was able to handle some of the topics with such grace. (Don't read this book if sexual assault is a trigger for you..quick heads up.)
Rosie has always been the pretty girl, she is used to men of all ages looking a little bit too long at her and most of the time she kinda enjoys the attention. When something happens one night, Rosie will begin to learn that being the pretty girl isn't what sh
Kibbenza
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, honestly, this book could have gotten such a higher rating.

Rosie is pretty. Like, really pretty. Guys notice her, and she likes that. In fact, she wants them to. And when her best friend comes back from a summer soccer program in Europe way hotter and more confident than she left, Rosie can even admit she has a moment of panic. Maybe she's not the hot one anymore? But it doesn't matter, because she's going to be a better friend this year, and that means making sure Maddie's long time crush,
Karen Barber
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to publishers and NetGalley for allowing me to read this prior to publication. A hard-hitting and topical read, that will probably appeal to teen readers.
Rosie is one of those girls it would be easy to hate. Pretty and popular, she is used to using her looks to get what she wants. Initially, she seems shallow and quite unlikeable and definitely not a good friend to Maddie. However, Maciel tries to show there’s more to Rosie than people realise.
After her best friend returns from a summe
Milly Hammett
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Note: I received an ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Balzer & Bray
2.5 Stars.

This was a difficult book to read, not because of the subject matter--which is so relevant and important--but because Maciel couldn't quite pull off the execution. I'm still not sure what LUCKY GIRL was ultimately trying to achieve. The main character, Rosie, didn't seem authentic to me, and at times she was unbearable. Rosie knows she's the prettiest girl in her school, in her town,
The Book Addict (Bite-Sized Reviews)
"i don’t want those men to see me. i just want to be invisible for a little while longer."

T H O U G H T S:

when rosie is assaulted, her best friend walks in assuming something entirely different. and so, rosie loses both herself and her best friend, in the time she needed her most. i had the same reaction to reading lucky girl as i did to reading amanda maciel's tease: i appreciate the confrontation of serious issues like sexual assault, rape culture, slut-shaming, and self-worth, but the storyli
Liz
Rosie Fuller is an extremely attractive high school student who has dated a lot of guys and enjoys flirtatious attention. More important to her, though, is her best friend Maddie, and Rosie is trying very hard to act like a better friend to her than she has in the past. Rosie even gives up her summer romance with football player Corey when she realizes how much Maddie likes him. Everything is going fine, if a little awkward, until a sexual assault occurs at a drunken party. It feels like everyon ...more
Sophie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very rare for me to give out five star ratings but this book deserved it. I wasn't sure what to expect going into it as the synopsis wasn't giving a whole lot away, but it did intrigue me enough to want to know more. This book follows a not particularly likeable character and deals with some pretty hard-hitting topics, so really my opinion could have gone either way. However, I feel this is one of the best books I have read in a while.

I was so invested in this story and the characters in t
Danni  (Paperback Salvation)
This was a 3.5 stars read.
The beginning was kind of bland but then it became really interesting and exciting but the story kind of reached its culmination about 100 pages before the end and after that it became bland again. I would have liked it so much better if it ended with a BANG. I was expecting something more to happen, something big but I was disappointed. Also, quite a few questions were left unanswered.
The book was good and it dealt with PTSD and dealing with sexual assault but the exe
Lisa-Jaine
This was to me a subtle book. Slowly unfolding and making us question a number of things, self-blame, denial, self-worth, looks, esteem. Any book that can make us think about such issues is a good one.

Rosie is popular, beautiful, flirts with boys and hooks up with those that interest her. Sooo.... when her ex who is dating Rosie's best friend assaults her at a party and her friend misconstrues the situation, who does Rosie blame? Herself? Why .. because she flirted a little, because she encoura
Vicki Zhang
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
A good concept for a story, but poor execution.
The beginning was slow: and the introduction to the pettiness of high school, the shallowness of the "popular-jock" clique and the thoughts of the main character, Rosie, was almost tiresome. However, when a fierce storm hits a party, and events unfold quickly and confusingly, Rosie is faced with a conflict against her own self and identity.
As the protagonist, Rosie goes through some change, which made up for the otherwise bland story. However, at ti
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover Lucky Girl 2 8 May 21, 2017 04:36AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 01, 2016 11:34AM
  • Gem & Dixie
  • Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)
  • Amal Unbound
  • Dress Codes for Small Towns
  • 100 Hours (100 Hours, #1)
  • Memento Mori
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • Wait for Me
  • Ronit & Jamil
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
Amanda Maciel has worked in book publishing since graduating from Mount Holyoke College and is currently a senior editor at Scholastic. She spends her free time writing, running, or riding the subway with her young son. She lives with him, her husband, and their cat, Ruby, in Brooklyn, New York. Tease is her first novel.
More about Amanda Maciel

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)