Start by marking “The Second Sister” as Want to Read:
The Second Sister

The Second Sister

The chilling new psychological thriller by Claire Kendal, author of the bestselling novel, THE BOOK OF YOU, which was selected for Richard and Judy in 2015. Perfect for fans of THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN and DISCLAIMER.

It is ten years since Ella's sister Miranda disappeared without trace, leaving her young baby behind. Chilling new evidence links Miranda to the horrifying Jason
Published May 4th 2017 by Harper (first published March 23rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Sister

Melissa
If you’re like me and this book catches your fancy because Claire Kendal’s debut, The Book Of You, made your skin crawl in the clever way only a true psychological thriller can pull off, prepare yourself. Prepare yourself for the clunky and overly-wordy execution of this plot and for the moments when things inevitably veer off into ridiculous territory. Now, don’t get me wrong, that’s not to say this wasn’t somewhat of an entertaining experience. I guess what I’m getting at is, The Second Sister ...more
Lou
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Woo! This is a rollercoaster ride of a psychological thriller, it hooked me from the first few pages. There have so far been a plethora of great psychological thrillers in 2017 and this rates extremely highly against those. This will certainly be near the top of my Best of 2017 list.

Ella's sister Miranda disappeared ten years ago, leaving her baby behind. A man named Jason Thorne, currently in prison for murdering several women, is linked to Miranda through new evidence. Did Miranda know this gu
Pauline
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Claire Kendal's new psychological thriller The Second Sister had me hooked from the start. I really enjoyed reading this book and found it thrilling, exciting and chilling. I could not put it down. I would like to thank NetGalley and HarperCollins for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Liz Barnsley
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, The Second Sister is a twisted tale indeed in the very best way possible.

I loved “The Book of You” (and I still have my promotional Book of Liz from way back) so I was very keen to read this and turns out for good reason because it was absolutely beautifully addictive, really rather clever and often very very creepy. What’s not to love?

Ella as a character was top notch, driven, unforgiving yet extremely likable, you follow her along through good decisions and bad and can barely look away –
Nicki
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I read a book that totally hooks me in although I can't honestly explain why....well this was one of those books.

It has been ten years since Ella`s older sister Miranda dropped her baby son Luke off at theirs parents house,drove away in her car and vanished without a trace.Chilling new evidence links Miranda to Jason Thorne who is now in prison for the murders of several women,is it possible that Miranda knew him?

Now at the same age that Miranda was when she vanished and driven by her
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews and more on www.snazzybooks.com

I enjoyed The Second Sister and found it entertaining, but it did feel a little ridiculous at times. It got off to quite a slow start, because I suppose nothing really happens as such right at the beginning - it's more that Ella decides to start looking for what happened to her missing (presumed dead) sister Miranda, partly due to her nephew Luke asking her to try and find out. So because of this she starts to investigate and discovers new evidence (t
Bookread2day
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book that I got from Sainsburys. My review is on www.ireadnovels.wordpress.com

Unsolved Case. New linked discovered between evil Jason Thorne and missing Miranda.
Eight years ago when Jason Thorne was arrested for torturing and killing three women, there was speculation that Ella Brooke's sister Miranda was one of his victims.

As time passes Ella wants to meet Jason Thorne in a hospital where the outside walls are topped with razor wire. They are all confined to the hospital because
Charlotte May
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced readers copy from the publisher.
I'm finding that I enjoy thrillers more and more. Wouldn't have been my thing when I was younger but the second sister was fantastic! Gripping and mysterious, I really felt for Ella as the 10 year anniversary of her sisters disappearance arose. The characters were deep and well constructed, with all their flaws and qualities portrayed in a way that made you feel you knew them all personally. I didn't guess the ending eith
Roman Clodia
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
How many psychopaths can you cram into one book? Lots, according to Kendal. Here we have the caught killer in a psychiatric hospital, the uncaught killer on the loose, and a madly jealous girlfriend for no good reason just to up the ante...

I'm afraid I found this overly-familiar in its plotting and also written in a kind of muddy, hyper-emotionalised style that grated: every time our heroine feels something it's described in overblown metaphors e.g. 'There is another explosion. The sky is erupti
Kathleen
THE SECOND SISTER by Claire Kendal is truly riveting! I did not want the thrilling psychological suspense to end, but I could not put this book down until I finished reading all 467 pages.

The characters are well developed, and I was intrigued by Ella Brooke's desire and determination to find out what happened to Miranda, her older sister. Will Ella solve the ten years old mystery? Will she find Miranda? Will Ella be endangering her own life? What sort of man is Jason Thorne?

This book has an i
Marc Bougharios
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it

This novel started off to a very slow start and I found myself getting into it after the first 200 pages. That being said, it really picked up halfway through and I couldn't stop reading.

One thing I find in many missing story novels is that the person looking for the other person is always on their own and they never believe it when they are being watched or targeted. They are always percieved as the crazy person and it's very annoying! But then again I guess that's how the suspense is
Tory
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2017
DNF at 62%. I didn't care about a single character or situation in this book. The only likeable character was the kid, and he was left out so much that it hardly counts. Boring, slow, clunky, not believable.
Elaine -
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
I was invested in this book from the very start! Ella is a few years younger than Miranda. Ella adored her older sister Miranda growing up and strived to be like her. Until one day Miranda doesn't come home. Her car is found along a road with her phone and wallet inside. She leaves behind an infant son that Ella and her parents are tasked with raising. Nothing makes sense. Miranda would never leave her infant son and Ella behind, would she?

"I see you everywhere. If I really had eyes like yours,
Joanne Robertson
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Book of You and even though it had quite a harrowing storyline I was unable to read my eyes away from the horrors that were unfolding before me. So I was really keen to read Claire Kendals second book but would it live up to my expectations compared to her previous well written and researched psychological thriller? Well, it was never in doubt really was it?! Although I think I actually loved it more! It certainly pulled me in very quickly with its killer plot lines, peppered with so ...more
Dee Ryan
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ella's sister has been missing for ten years. Ten years since Miranda dropped her baby son Luke at their parents house and drove seat never to be seen again.
Ella has never been able to let go of her sister and with the encouragement of her now 10 year old nephew Luke Ella steps up her own investigations to find out the truth of what happened to Miranda.
There are so many people to suspect and so many twists and turns that you are completely drawn into this book. Though at times I did find Ella
Thebooktrail
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
A slow burner this one - genuinely creepy and a serial killer who was on the level with Hannibal. The missing sister, the mystery another good thread, and the poor child missing her mum for all those years....I just found it tricky to enjoy the three threads all woven together as there was something which didn't gel for me. I do think that the lack of any sense of place added to the confusion for me as normally this seems to add to the story with a vagueness but it confused me slightly and I thi ...more
Cassie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm happy to say that I found The Second Sister to be a worthy follow-up to Claire Kendal's first novel, The Book of You. It's a densely-plotted, tenderly-written story with familial love at its heart. The narrative unfolds with perfect pacing in truly gorgeous writing, with just enough twists to keep the reader guessing and some truly chilling imagery that will stay with me for a while (a bracelet made of desiccated bugs, to name just one). The character of Ella is determined, fierce, and well- ...more
Lady Delacour
This story was just barley ok.
Found it creepy but, not in the good way.
To many things in the story just did not work.
A let down from The Book of You.
Narrator Emma Gregory did a really nice job.
Loved her 10 year old boy voice.
Best part of the book.
Not quite Clean. Foul Language.
Rachelle Kirby
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sharp thriller with lots of twists and turns. Parts of the story reminded me of Silence of the lambs and other parts American Horror Story Asylum, and that's only a small piece.
Laura Rash
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a slow build up this one has a roller coaster ride of an ending!
Sinead
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are so many books claiming to be the next best thriller, this is a book you can believe the hype about. I practically inhaled this, could not put it down! The writing was flawless and the character development was something else. Thanks to NetGalley for my early copy.
A.J. Waines
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Claire Kendal’s first book, The Book of You, was a top read for me a couple of years ago, so I was very excited to read the author’s next novel, The Second Sister.

The story involves Ella, whose sister, Miranda, went missing ten years previously. Miranda’s son Luke is ten years old now and asking difficult questions. Ella is also 30, the age her sister was when she mysteriously disappeared, bringing up all kinds of new emotions, fears and her own unanswered questions. As Ella digs deeper, fresh
Cheryl M-M
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
In a way a missing person is often a sentence worse than death. It has no finality and it promises a lifetime of uncertainty. It’s one thing knowing the fate of a loved one, even if the details are inhumane and almost impossible to bear. It’s quite another to spend minutes, days or years imagining the worst, whilst simultaneously hoping for the best.

This is the situation the reader finds Ella in. She is quite simply obsessed with the disappearance of her older sister Miranda. Vanished without a
Selina Trafford
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two sisters with a strong bond, who lives take the same path for a while inadvertently. A mystery and a strong main character makes for a super read. In this book I was pleasantly surprised by the last couple of chapters.
Sooz (P.Turners Book Blog)
WOWSERS! When my other half presented me with this book - I didn't really know what to expect as I haven't seen anything about this book or the author before. But I tell you what, I am SO glad I went into this book blind.

The blurb does not give this book justice. I'm usually turned off by psychological thrillers. I can't put my finger on a specific reason why, but THE SECOND SISTER has restored my faith in the genre and I loved every page! It did take me about 60 odd pages to really get into the
Michelle  Driscoll
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book but it does have a couple of things I found a little annoying. Firstly, it goes back and forth between two time periods which made it a bit hard to follow at times. My only other quibble is that it was a little far-fetched. Ella's sister, Miranda disappeared, but 10 years later Ella manages to find clues that the police weren't able to at the time of her disappearance.

Other than that it was well-written and I am glad I read it, it just wasn't quite as good as Claire Kendall
Aryana Parmar
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book... though not really my type. But I felt like I needed to try something outside of my comfort zone, so I did, and it was good.

MC: ELLA

I liked Ella. I feel like though she might have had some problems, she figured everything out at the end.

OTHER MC: MIRANDA

I didn't like Miranda, I don't know why. I just didn't.

Well, since you can tell I don't have much time on my hands right now, this is all. It was a good book and I think everyone should read it.
Patty Abarno
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read from beginning to end. I loved the characters and the twists and surprises throughout!! Hated to see this one end!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 1 STAR
DNF @ 15%
2017; Harper Paperbacks/HarperCollins; HarperCollins Publishers/HarperCollins Canada
(Review Not on Blog)

I love cold cases, fiction or nonfiction, books or television so I was excited to read this novel. Unfortunately, I could not get beyond 15% of the book. The story moves slowly but also the main character just didn't do justice to her sister's story. She is a bit bland and kind of simpers and makes me grimace so I had do give up sooner than I wanted to. I don't think eve
Linda
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second sister of the title is Ella, the first sister being Miranda who, ten years previously, had dropped her baby son Luke off at her parent's house unexpectedly and driven off, never to be seen again.

For 10 years the family have being trying to deal with their loss and their grief. Miranda's mother won't let anyone talk about Miranda as though she was dead. Ella talks to her every day but realises that she probably is dead. Miranda's father tries to bridge the ever widening gap between the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• And for Your Information… (Butterfly, #2)
  • Unruly (Cross + Catherine #3; Legacy Novels)
  • The Good Sister
  • Geezer Girls (Gangland Girls #1)
  • Hysteria
  • Until I'm Yours (The Bennetts, #4)
  • Murder at the Mendel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #2)
  • The Three Sisters Bar and Hotel
  • Fallout
  • Christmas in the Snow
  • Wildflower Bay
  • Soldier's Wives
Claire Kendal's first novel was THE BOOK OF YOU. It was a Sunday Times bestseller and a Richard & Judy Book Club pick. THE SECOND SISTER was published in 2017. Coming 2019 ... I SPY 🔎🔍 👀 Claire teaches English Literature and Creative Writing, and lives in the South West of England with her family.