Start by marking “Dishing Up the Dirt: Simple Recipes for Cooking Through the Seasons” as Want to Read:
Dishing Up the Dirt: Simple Recipes for Cooking Through the Seasons

Dishing Up the Dirt: Simple Recipes for Cooking Through the Seasons

Andrea Bemis, the creator of the popular farm-to-table blog Dishing Up the Dirt builds on her success with this beautiful, simple, seasonally driven cookbook, featuring more than 100 inventive and delicious whole-foods recipes and dozens of color photographs.

For Andrea Bemis, who owns and runs a six-acre organic farm with her husband outside of Portland, Oregon, dinners
Published March 14th 2017 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about Dishing Up the Dirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dishing Up the Dirt

Start your review of Dishing Up the Dirt: Simple Recipes for Cooking Through the Seasons
Lisa1170
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite websites and cookbooks. I have made so many recipes from Dishing Up the Dirt. All of them have been delicious! I love the use of fresh and seasonal ingredients. I enjoy her recipes so much I took the cookbook with me when I drove from Los Angeles, California to Oregon just so I could get it signed.
Kendall
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Gorgeous pictures and very sweet stories detailing life on a small farm. Bemis didn't romanticize farm life-it sounds overwhelming and not for the faint of heart! But it did make me long for the simplicity of growing food and organizing trades for meat and fruit and I am in love with the life she presents.

That said, the recipes also look great, but maybe a little impractical for the average city dweller. I'm determined to try my best at fresh local and seasonal produce but that will likely be
Shipshapeeatworthy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What is more provocative than finding yourself face to face with beautiful, seasonal produce? Beets attached to their greens. Spring's first blush of strawberries. Bushels of apples when autumn comes. When you open your mind (and kitchen) to these possibilities the most truly appetizing and memorable experiences happen. Maybe it's the first day of Spring or maybe it's the purpose set forth in Andrea Bemis' new cookbook Dishing Up the Dirt that has me so excited to be in my kitchen. If you're ...more
Leslie
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is much more than just another cookbook of healthy recipes. It’s a tribute to life on a small farm and the passion that the author has for the life that she and her husband have created in their small community in Oregon.

The introductory essay to each season is as much a part of the book as the recipes and provides an enlightening look at farm life. Recipes are divided into section by season rather than food types, emphasizing the fresh, local, whole foods one would find in season at a
BookBec
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Yes, it's a pretty book; yes, the author writes interesting sections on life as a farmer; and yes, it has lots of recipes for eating your (very fresh) veggies.

But it loses a star for each of these issues:

1) Not enough main dishes. This book is heavy on side dishes, which isn't how I like to cook. Let me cook a one-dish meal and I'm happy. Ask me to cook a bunch of separate mains and sides, and I'm not so cheerful.

2) Not clearly identifying main dishes vs. sides. Sometimes that info's in the
Debra Schoenberger
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I've just finished reading through Andrea's cookbook and can't remember the last time I enjoyed reading a cookbook this much.

It was really interesting to read about what led Andrea and her husband, Taylor to where they are now as organic farmers on their six-acre farm in rural Oregon. Andrea had never farmed or gardened (and she admits that hadn't been much of a cook either) but the first two years of their married life together consisted of working on a sixty-acre organic vegetable farm in
Christine
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't often review cookbooks like I do other books, but this one deserves mentioning. I have not cooked any of the recipes in the book, although they look good. What I enjoyed about this cookbook was how the author talked about life on her small farm. I'm always inspired by people who live life with enthusiasm. And with the amount of work and love the author and her husband pour into their farm, I couldn't help but be inspired by their love for what they do. And the pictures accompanying her ...more
GONZA
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebk
The recipes seems easy to handle (at a first superficial glance) and the ingredients nothing that is impossible to find, but what I like most about this book, where the stories Andrea told about farming and her husband Taylor.

Le ricette sembrano gestibili cosí come gli ingredienti, ma quello che piú mi é piaciuto di questo libro sono le storie che Andrea racconta sul vivere in una fattoria assieme a suo marito Taylor.
Brianna Sowinski
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seasonal farm based cookbooks are probably my favorite, heavy reliance on vegetables but still include some meat recipes. Beautiful food photography and I liked all the hipster farming photos too. Saved a few recipes to try out at some point.
Bookish
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, cookery
Fantastic, inventive recipes parsed out by harvest seasons. The photos enticed me to try the recipes, as they ought to do.
Molly
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is going on my Birthday/Christmas wish list...can't wait to try more of the recipes!
Alli
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Yet another addition to the "hipsters start a farm" canon, but surprisingly enjoyable for it's veg-friendly take on stick-to-your ribs/farm-to-table eating.
Kelly
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect in every way!
-Signed,
The wife who loves to cook with a husband that loves to grow the finest veggies
Stefanie
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That had absolutely lovely photography and a great mix of recipes
Jessie
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Cookbook!
Ariel
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm a sucker for cookbooks organized by season, and have loved going through these recipes as I try to figure out what to do with my CSA box!
Degan Walters
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and simple farm recipes organized by season (my favorite). There is a bit too much corn for my liking but I am still looking forward to making and eating everything in it.
Caitlin Hawksley
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I've been an admirer of Dishing Up the Dirt, the blog, for years, and I love Andrea's down-to-earth, seasonal style of cooking. This cookbook was as wonderful as I hoped it would be. A few favorite recipes that I tried were the Honey & Cardamom Whipped Sweet Potatoes, Beet Butter, and the Strawberry Mint Smoothie. All recipes that I tried were solid.
Vivian
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous cookbook, full of innovative, yet eminently approachable farm-to-table seasonal recipes. More than that though, a realistic, touching memoir of the life of small farmers, joys and sorrows, and a reminder to all of us who eat to be thankful for the hard work that produces the good food.
Ashleigh
rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2019
Nancy
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a seasonal cookbook stuffed full of easy, healthy recipes, look no further. Most of the recipes utilize fresh vegetables and if not vegetarian or vegan, can be made so quite easily. They are mostly gluten-free as well.

I was particularly glad to see all the sauce recipes that don't rely on heavy dairy products. As the author states, "Sauces are the gateway to eating more vegetables." The Smoky Cashew Sauce will be a new staple around here. And the Herbed Tahini Sauce is a
Jules Clancy
May 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables
  • Molly on the Range: Recipes and Stories from An Unlikely Life on a Farm
  • Magnolia Table: A Collection of Recipes for Gathering
  • The First Mess Cookbook: Vibrant Plant-Based Recipes to Eat Well Through the Seasons
  • Half Baked Harvest Cookbook: Recipes from My Barn in the Mountains
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • The Nature of Matter: Understanding the Physical World
  • Small Victories: Recipes, Advice + Hundreds of Ideas for Home Cooking Triumphs (Best Simple Recipes, Simple Cookbook Ideas, Cooking Techniques Book)
  • What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Blacker: A Memoir in Essays
  • Invisible
  • How to Be Yourself: Quiet Your Inner Critic and Rise Above Social Anxiety
  • Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus  + Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers
  • Run Fast. Eat Slow.
  • Home After Dark
  • Judgment of Paris:  California vs. France and the Historic 1976 Paris Tasting That Revolutionized Wine
  • The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks
  • The Griff: A Graphic Novel