Start by marking “A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)

A Boy Called Bat

(A Boy Called Bat #1)

For Bixby Alexander Tam (nicknamed Bat), life tends to be full of surprises — some of them good, some not so good. Today, though, is a good-surprise day. Bat’s mom, a veterinarian, has brought home a baby skunk, which she needs to take care of until she can hand him over to a wild-animal shelter.

But the minute Bat meets the kit, he knows they belong together. And he’s got
Published March 14th 2017 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about A Boy Called Bat, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Ciara Bat is on the autism spectrum.

Start your review of A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
Tj Shay
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been a teacher for thirty years. Bat, the main character in this book, is the most realistic depiction of a child on the Autism spectrum that I have read. The glorious thing to me, however, is that it doesn't feel like a lecture or a how-not-to, but just sweetly tells the story of a boy, his family, his teacher, and a most unlikely pet.

Wonderful story, real characters...a must have for every library.
Jasmine
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really well done story about an autistic boy. We've got supportive family and teachers, a main character who isn't punished or mocked by the narrative for doing things differently, an acknowledgement that it can be difficult for people to communicate with someone who's mind works differently, and it isn't ABOUT autism. It's just a story about discovering what you want and proving you can go after it, about working things out with family and making friends.

On a personal note, it was pretty painf
destiny ♡ howling libraries
This was so cute and sweet. Bat is really precious, and the representation of him as an autistic character just felt tremendously thoughtful to me. I don't know if I feel comfortable calling myself an own-voice reviewer for this story because I don't know if I am or not. I was a kid in a time and an area where autism diagnoses weren't handed out except for in certain very specific situations, and then I just never thought about it much until I reached adulthood. Now, at 27, I talk to autistic fr ...more
Julanka
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My 10 year old daughter had to read this book in school. She had to read a chapter to me and I had to read a chapter to her. Its was time well spent reading a book with my girl.
Corinne
Blurbed this one! I said:

"A Boy Called Bat is sensitive, sweet, and super fun. I read this book with the biggest smile on my face."

I was also a sensitivity reader for the book's portrayal of its autistic protagonist. I thought it was excellent and absolutely feel comfortable recommending it.
Erin Craig
May 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
We LOVED!
Donalyn
Reread in preparation to read the sequel. I adore Bat and Thor!
Margaret
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
During the tenure of your career thousands of children will walk into your classroom, the school library. If you are fortunate you will be able to offer opportunities to students in grades kindergarten through graduation from high school. You will learn all their names. You will learn to support all their learning needs with access to materials inside and outside the walls of your facility. You will give the right book to the right reader at the right time. And just like snowflakes no two of the ...more
TheLibraryOfSarah
A book featuring an autistic character that doesn't preach against stimming, that is pro-special interests? A book that doesn't demonize him? UM YES PLEASE. This was really cute, I loved the characters and the plot was charming. ...more
Niki
A must read! A great read aloud! Uplifting!
Paula M
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, arc
for more reviews and an excerpt from this book, please visit Her Book Thoughts!

When I read the blurb of ABCB, I instantly remembered my younger brother and I need to admit that its one of the reason why I want to read and review Elana's book. Not only that, I'm an animal lover myself and even though Bat is way younger than me, it was not hard to feel for him while reading. But don't let Bat's age hinder you from reading ABCB. This book is genuine and very easy to read. That's what I like the mos
Mary Ann
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Our students have been eagerly reading A Boy Called Bat, drawn in by the adorable cover. Many students relate to the bond that Bat feels for the baby skunk, but it is about much more.

I love how this quiet book shows how a pet can help children form relationships, take responsibility and feel a sense of empathy. Even more so, I love how it shares the story of an autistic boy whose neurodiversity is just part of who he is.
Neil (or bleed)
I didn't know what to expect about this book. I just want a quick read. So I started this book without reading the synopsis so I have zero knowledge about the story. After a few pages, I'd just realized that the main character (Bat) is on the autism spectrum. And upon confirming with the synopsis, I was correct. It helps that I have read similar novels with the same theme like Marcelo in the Real, etc.

Anyway, I like how the author writes A Boy Called Bat. In my opinion, Arnold has captured how a
Gabrielle Ward
Sep 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I started listening to the audiobook, to the moment it finished…I loved Bat. This middle-grade book will make you smile, laugh and feel pangs of joy all the way through. It’s a lovely book.
Joanna Marie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
so innocent and full of character for the young ones. now i get it why my 10 y/o brother loved this book.
Mehsi
Short review, I am still unsure how to write one for this book. It was good, and I could relate to quite a few things that our MC with autism had. It is quite a first, generally I don't relate so much when I read a book about autism, but Bat was truly written well. However I didn't like how he kept pushing for the skunk. I get that he wants to keep the critter, but it is a wild animal, it should go out in the wild. Not stay in some crammed house. He was obsessed. And that is just not healthy.
I w
Almira
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bixby Alexander Tam (otherwise known as BAT) is on the autism spectrum, some days are good, some days are bad.
When his mom, a veterinarian, saves a newborn skunk, she brings it home temporarily. When Bat "meets" the kit he feels that they belong together, and is bound and determined to keep it, he has one month to convince his mom to let him.
The ups and downs of those on the spectrum is lightly touched on in this short children's book.
Baylie G
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! As a teacher, I would love to share this one with my students to discuss how autism might look/sound/feel, and to talk about the challenges Bat faced to make friendships and navigate his family life. Very, very cute!
Rachel
Feb 18, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2022-read-alouds
I really loved this sweet book about Bat, a boy on the autism spectrum, and how he relates to the world around him, and how he takes care of the baby skunk his veterinarian mom brings home. This book is a great way to introduce kids to the idea of what it’s like to have an autism spectrum condition as the story is told from Bat’s perspective. The book itself doesn’t actually mention autism (the cover jacket does), but Bat’s traits and personality will be recognizable to those familiar with autis ...more
Bernadette Kearns
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book would be an excellent read aloud in elementary classrooms. The character Bat could teach so many children what autism looks/feels like and would be a great way for our autistic students to see themselves in the literature that we share. As a mom of an animal loving 3rd grader this also hits the sweet spot for those kids. For my middle school students, this is another book to teach us about our diverse learning community. ❤️
Michele Knott
I really enjoyed Arnold's upcoming book. I think it will be a hit with young readers, especially those who have a soft spot for animals.
I like that this book includes some diversity with the main character coming from a divorced family and is most likely on the autism spectrum, without the book being about that.
Erin Entrada Kelly
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I loved Bat. He was such a well-developed character and the tone and voice of the novel is perfectly pitched for its audience. The illustrations were wonderful too. I really wanted to hold a skunk after reading this and I never thought I'd ever be in a position where I wished I knew more skunks. ...more
Scott Fillner
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Boy Called Bat is such a wonderful story Elana K Arnold. The book just blew me away. Not only is the writing outstanding...but the illustrations really enhance the story. I cannot wait for it to become a book in the wild for others to read.

The book is ideal for any students entering 4th grade or any students B or above 4th grade.
Monique
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
God I loved this series
Leah Agirlandaboy
A book centered on a character on the spectrum that is *not* focused on him being on the spectrum! Well done.
lucy  Ü
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
such a super cute book about a boy with autism spectrum disorder and the bond he creates with a skunk kit! it's also super cute seeing how bixby transforms throughout the book and how he connects with students and his overall love for animals. ...more
Amber Kuehler
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute! I cannot wait for the sequel!
Joelle
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous elementary chapter book about a young boy with autism, and the baby skunk who helps him to look at life in the eyes.
Becky Kondritz
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lovely way for students (maybe grades 5-8) to get some insight into autism while reading a lovely story. I would highly recommend this book for school/classroom libraries.
Carie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
A read aloud to my first and fourth grader kiddos. The slow plot and lack of adventure caused this to not be an enjoyable read for my crew.
Play Book Tag: A boy called bat - 4 stars 10 13 Nov 10, 2021 04:25PM
Kinder Elementary...: April 2 Book Club Book 1 2 Jul 13, 2019 07:42PM
Play Book Tag: A Boy Called Bat by Elana K. Arnold - 4 stars 2 15 Jun 29, 2018 08:57AM
Goodreads Librari...: Adding illustrator's name 3 14 Feb 22, 2017 02:40PM

• Stella Díaz Has Something to Say
  • Odder
  • Fenway and Hattie (Fenway and Hattie, #1)
  • Bob
  • Rez Dogs
  • A Whole New Ballgame (Rip and Red, #1)
  • Hurricane Katrina Rescue (Ranger in Time, #8)
  • Life According to Og the Frog
  • Ban This Book
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag, #1)
  • Ways to Make Sunshine (Ryan Hart, #1)
  • Save Me a Seat
  • Wishtree
  • Starfish
  • Two Degrees
  • Willodeen
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Out of My Heart

ELANA K. ARNOLD writes books for and about children and teens. She holds a master’s degree in Creative Writing/Fiction from the University of California, Davis where she has taught Creative Writing and Adolescent Literature. Her most recent YA novel, DAMSEL, is a Printz Honor book, Her 2017 novel, WHAT GIRLS ARE MADE OF, was a finalist for the National Book Award, and her middle grade novel, A BOY

A Boy Called Bat (3 books)
  • Bat and the Waiting Game (A Boy Called Bat, #2)
  • Bat and the End of Everything (A Boy Called Bat, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Summer vacation is officially here! Now's the perfect time to fill those long, school-free days with books your kids will...