Start by marking “How to Con Your Kid” as Want to Read:
How to Con Your Kid

How to Con Your Kid

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Book Your Children Don’t Want You to Read
How to Con Your Kid is the most useful (and sneakiest) parenting manual you’ll ever purchase. Within are hundreds of tips, techniques, and simple scams for getting your child to do exactly what you want—with your child none the wiser. For mealtime, bedtime, bathtime, and any other time of the day (or night), you’ll learn to:
Published August 1st 2005 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Con Your Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Con Your Kid

Apr 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: scary
This book has me scared.

Shouldn't we be teaching our kids that there are somethings in life that aren't pleasant but we have to do them, we have to work through them, we have to cope?

This book teaches how to play "games" to teach your children life skills. No wonder parents are so exhausted!

I did read one that I agree with, it talks about teaching your child how to talk with others. They authors recommend role-playing different types of conversations and I think that is a good idea.

But the whini
Lenore Webb
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good morning folks. I am popping in to tell you how the week with the grandbabes is going on around here. As you would expect it is hopping. We have had so many different type of activities. It is something that I remember when I was growing up. Going to my grandparents farm for breaks. We picked fresh veggies from the garden, hunted eggs from the chickens and learned how to cook some of the best desserts ever. I loved helping feed the cows and watching my grandpa wrangle the calves. It was grea ...more
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I got this book free for review.

Coming from Quirk, you know this not going to be your typical parenting book. It does have a bit of a twist. Written by 2 fathers (possibly the first parenting book written by men that's come across my desk....see how professional that sounds: across my desk), David Borgenicht and James Grace (they also wrote some of the the Worst-Case Scenario Handbooks).

To be honest, my first thought was, "Great! Let's teach more manipulation to an overwhelmingly ma
Lilac Wolf
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I'm unsure how seriously to take this book. There really were some great tips in there, but there were some that will probably drive you and your child to therapy. Like telling a child with ratty hair that there are evil witches in there tangling it up...seriously not a good idea! Or the nose goblins, if it doesn't mess them up it will increase the amount of nose picking.

It is seriously a good read, entertaining and as I said, I did come away with a few tips I will try o
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some really good ideas. Some of them I have already used but some new ones in there.
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This lighthearted little book was well written and had very good practical suggestions about ways to handle multiple kid issues. Subtitle is Simple Scams for Mealtime, Bedtime, Bathtime--Anytime. It is a very easy to read parenting book especially good for parents of kids maybe 2-7. I hope the authors do write the two proposed books How to Con your Tween and How to Con your Teen. Despite the "con" word in the title, the book gives good-hearted not particularly devious suggestions. I loved the so ...more
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok

First off, the title, while marketable, is horrendous, "con" is not an affirming or positive adjective for navigating life skills with your kid.

This is clearly a wonderful gift opportunity (we got it as a gift!) since it is kind of cheeky, but I think for most folks, unless you really had absent/distant parents growing up, you likely would not need such a basic playbook.

The whole theme of buying your way out of binds bothered me (especially since money is not flowing freely in my life!), an
Jose Luis (Liantener)
Muy ameno, divertido y útil. Contiene tips de juegos y canciones para motivar a los pequeños a hacer cosas necesarias como alimentarse bien, vestirse, ayudar en la casa, etc. Está muy orientado a niños pequeños, pero algunos trucos todavía funcionan con los grandecitos. Todo se reduce a entender que para un niño pequeño la vida es un juego, y que si logras que vea las tareas cotidianas como un juego, lograrás que las haga con gusto. Ya sea que te cueste trabajo el concepto o que sea un padre/mad ...more
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
LOVED this book. I got it from the library (like 99% of the books I read) but I want to own it, so that I can reference it over and over.

The title is a bit of a misnomer. It is basically common sense advice to get your child to cooperate with family life. As a first time mom, I found it very helpful just to read what other parents struggle with and how they deal with common situations.

Is it sexist for me to say that I found it odd this was authored by two men?
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quirk, satire, first-reads
Great book that I received from Quirk Books for review. Great for new parents and old who are trying to find out how best to maintain their sanity while also keeping their child happy. Reading through this made me reflect on some of the cons that I know my parents have used on me and that my sister-in-law uses on her two daughters. Very good for parents and to-be parents.
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very smart, funny and well-organized book of tricks on how to get your kids to do things they don't want to do (brush teeth, eat, sleep, etc.). It's an interesting read, but since you will not be able to remember all the cons, use this as a reference instead anytime you hit a brick wall with your kids. Or anticipate doing so.
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great book with simple ways to deal with issues that pop up with your young children. With minimal yelling. The title is misleading, as you are not conning your kids. You are simply using other ways to persuade them to do what you want/need them to do. A MUST for the new parent.
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
not bad, not good, doesn't really apply to our luxmi because she is such a unique and quirky kid! funny moments, though.
Christy Fricks
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

Good for a laugh or new tricks to try when you are frustrated and out of ideas.
Aaron Wong
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for toddlers and preschoolers, but unfortunately my kid's still too young. I'll come back to this again.
Dave Kilpatrick
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Good. I will probably refer back when I run into a problem with my daughter
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A lot of cute ideas and songs for various parenting situations. Wish I had this when my girls were a little younger. Still, it gives advice for when original "cons" no longer work.
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
This is one of my Christmas gifts from my sister last year.
What can I say, it's been a valuable resource, I grin.
Shally Kay