Start by marking “The Pregnancy Countdown Book: Nine Months of Practical Tips, Useful Advice, and Uncensored Truths” as Want to Read:

A Page-A-Day Countdown To The Birth Of Your Baby!
Â
The average pregnancy lasts 280 daysâ”and the suspense can be excruciating! The Pregnancy Countdown Book counts down the biggest milestones every step of the way, with one page of helpful information for each day of your pregnancy. Here are tips from doctors and mothers, amusing anecdotes and quotes, and all of the
Published April 6th 2006 by Quirk Books (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Pregnancy Countdown Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pregnancy Countdown Book

Start your review of The Pregnancy Countdown Book: Nine Months of Practical Tips, Useful Advice, and Uncensored Truths
Dana
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Overwhelmed ftm's/Casual Readers
Current pregnancy countdown: 7 days to go!

I enjoyed this cute little pregnancy book and felt that it was a good non-overwhelming alternative to the hefty bible sized pregnancy/baby books that I often see crowding the shelves at most bookstores.

I think the big books are great if you have a lot of time or don't have regular internet access, but for me between this book and babycenter.com I did not feel like I was lacking in information at all.

I would add the weekly updates from babycenter to
Hilary
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Probably best for first time moms, but still a quick fun read.
Ginny Pennekamp
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
About a month into my pregnancy, my friend Janeesa loaned me this book and said it was the only book that helped her get through it. Just so you know, it's a tiny book, as many pages as days, with little tips from other women, and stories and advice and a few things from doctors.

I cannot say this enough: THIS WAS THE ONLY PREGNANCY BOOK I NEEDED.

There was just about enough info in this book to keep me positively informed, and also it felt more like a conversation with a friend. This book knew
Asha Carlos
Full of practical tips, useful advice and uncensored truths, The Pregnant Countdown Book is a light-hearted read which is presented in a perfect compact size. Since the average pregnancy lasts for 280 days, Magee, the author together with the help of Dr Nakisbendi, a board-certified obstetrician, gynaecologist and nutrition specialist have listed down in simple but comprehensive breakdown of each milestone for every day of your pregnancy.

Each week is then further segregated to different
Slayermel
So far this book has been a handy little pocket guide to letting me know roughly what's going on in my body, which as a first timer is very much appreciated.
There is a lot of useful information in here as well as some humor to lighten your mood a little.
This book takes you through day by day and week by week of the babies development, the changes you will be experiencing in your body as well as Common worries and fears most women experience during certain stages. There are also some helpful
Talia
Starting on day 280, this book counts down to "ground zero" of pregnancy, with each day getting its own page of information.

I originally got this book because I liked the organization of each day having its own information. I'm detail oriented and like to know what's going on! But as you can imagine, it gets hard thinking of new things to say every day, and as a result, some weeks have better info than others. One day has "TV Shows Not to Watch While Pregnant". Meh. I have other books in my
Jody
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: first time moms
I started off with this book when I found out I was pregnant. I really enjoyed this one because it is easy to read, has honest information and advice from real moms, and unlike almost all the other pregnancy books I read, it didn't concentrate so much on EVERYTHING that can go wrong. It was a lot more upbeat and my husband and I looked forward to reading it every week. The layout with the days countdown at the top of every page also made it easy to go back and reference. I definitely recommend ...more
Kara
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I got this book as a gift and I loved it. I wish I would have had it from the moment I knew I was pregnant. I think I got it during my second trimester. When I read through the first trimester, I laughed a lot because I had definitely experienced most of it. It was nice to read about pregnancy every day since I didn't know what to expect. (Although I admit I'd read the whole week at a time.) Anyway, it was lightly helpful, lightly informative, and heavily relatable. I am going to get this book ...more
Leslie
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is filled with useful facts and brief anecdotes about pregnancy and is arranged as a countdown to baby, so you can read is as you experience it. I found it very helpful and reassuring that all the crazy stuff happening to my body was in fact completely normal...and maybe not as bad as some others, and I wasn't overloaded with boring reading....short and to the point went well with my diminished attention span (another side effect of my pregnancy).
Lemonscarlet
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is very informative and helpful. I keep skipping ahead, though, and having to wait wait wait. I feel like I've been on Day 212 (days until birth) forever but in reality, I'm not actually quite there yet. I zoomed through the pages of the first 7 weeks of pregnancy because I didn't know I was pregnant until I thought I was 7 weeks along...but then at 10 weeks I found out I was really 8 weeks. What a gyp!!
Marissa
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-print
This is a light-hearted yet informative countdown to the big day! I enjoyed reading this book throughout my pregnancy. It seemed to make the weeks go by faster for me, especially in the beginning. I highly recommend it. It was one of the best pregnancy books I read, but it's not a heavy, formal read if that's what you're looking for.
Angela
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I admit--I read ahead. This book has one page for every day of your pregnancy. I'm still pregnant, but I finished the book. It was fun and sometimes entertaining, although I have to say that most of the information was redundant of all the other books/websites I've been following throughout my pregnancy.
Pallavi
Nov 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is great and tells you about lots of little stuff along the way that will happen in pregnancy. I discovered this at the beginning on my 2nd trimester and was dissapointed I hadn't had it sooner!
There are so many little things that happen along the way as your body changes and reacts - it's good to know that a reference like this is out there (with a little added humor too!)
Erin Riggio
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
A really fun and irreverent guide. The author seemed to know exactly what I was going through during each week of my pregnancy. I'd recommend this to any pregnant woman. As a bonus, read it out loud with your partner. We had a great time laughing and crying (on my part) about all the ups and downs of pregnancy.
Connie
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
A friend sent me this book and I started reading it right away. It is very easy to read (one page per day), has truthful, practical advice, and doesn't take things too seriously. I liked it a lot better than "What to Expect When You're Expecting."
Janet
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Light reading about pregnancy following a day by day format. Not very substantial, but there are some nice things to know in it. Definitely no substitute for the weightier books, but it's nice to read.
Nicole
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I really enjoyed reading this together each night throughout our pregnancy. Each daily entry has advice or quotes from moms, as well as a short blurb about baby's development or mom's symptoms, etc. Definitely recommend to all first time moms (and dads)!
Marnie
Mar 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Easy, quick tidbits. There's nothing overly eye-opening in it, but it is a light-hearted approach to telling you what's going on or what you should be putting on your to do list. And it's always fun to have a countdown...even though I read it in a matter of a couple of days.
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'm normally not a smartphone-savvy "there's an app for that!" type of person, but in the case of daily pregnancy countdowns, I really DO prefer an app over a physical book. That said, if you do want a book, this one is pretty cute and well-executed.
Robin
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was an intern at Quirk. It was my very first proofreading experience, and it was a fascinating, funny read. I had about 3 pregnant friends at the time, so it was quite eye-opening! Recommend as a lighthearted, casual, yet informative gift.
Misty
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a very fun book that I kept by the side of my bed and read every night with Steve. It has a daily blurb about important information without giving too much information. Some of it is laugh out loud funny and very accurate. A must have for pregnancy.
Katy
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I kept this book out of the library practically the whole time I was pregnant. It was almost always spot-on with what I was going through. Not too crunchy but not too foofy. This is a great book.
Liz
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
good real-world view of pregnancy
Emily Thayer
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-2015-library
What a great and exciting book to read throughout my pregnancy!! So full of interesting facts and lovely quotes from other moms
Jeane
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Must say that this is one of the absolute must-haves for any expecting mother! I loved this book, it was candid, it was honest, it was fun, and it was hilarious! highly recommend!
Stephanie
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This one was alot of fun to have handy for a daily read for me and my spouce.
Amy
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: pregnancy
A nifty little day-by-day countdown
~~lindsey~~
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Was so fun to read something new each day about the progress of my pregnancy. Plus it was hilarious! Great read.
Jen
Sep 02, 2014 added it
It's funny and supportive, which is a lot for a little book to be.
Anna
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun little book with a page for each day of pregnancy
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • The Mama Natural Week-by-Week Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Like a Mother: A Feminist Journey Through the Science and Culture of Pregnancy
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth And The Newborn (2001) (Retired Edition)
  • Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-By-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success
  • Good Dog, Happy Baby: Preparing Your Dog for the Arrival of Your Child
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year
  • Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Bone Song (Tristopolis, #1)
  • The Secret of Play: How to Raise Smart, Healthy, Caring Kids from Birth to Age 12
  • Eye Spy: Wild Ways Animals See the World
“For most companies, twelve weeks of maternity leave is standard, but I personally feel it’s best to try for four to six months, if possible. That’s” 0 likes