Start by marking “Lesser Spotted Animals” as Want to Read:
Lesser Spotted Animals

Lesser Spotted Animals

Bison? They're banned! Tigers? Taboo! Say good-bye to the gnu, cheerio to the cheetah, and peace to the panda.

The world of Lesser Spotted Animals STARTS HERE!

Find out all about the amazing animals you need to know but never get to see, from the numbat to the zorilla, and everything in between.
Published December 27th 2016 by David Fickling Books (first published October 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Lesser Spotted Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lesser Spotted Animals

Start your review of Lesser Spotted Animals
Scottsdale Public Library
Between the illustrations, excellent facts and humor throughout, this book is a winner for any age. Plus, it's fantastic for those school reports on the hard to find, unusual animals. Definitely a fun, informative read! – Jennifer K.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was great! Such fun writing with facts that almost read like funny jokes scattered throughout the text. This is the type of book that you could pick up and read about one animal to a class for a book talk or an after school program...then you would have kids wanting to read the rest of the book after that. Clever. Interesting. And full of animals that most people have never heard of.
Kristi Starr
So it took me a bit to catch that the title had nothing to do with spots on the animals, rather than the frequency of spotting (seeing) them. Admittedly, I figured it out on the first page, but still. Or maybe the subtitle (The coolest creatures you've never heard of) gave it away when I finally had the book in hand. But you get the picture.

If the illustrations look familiar, maybe you are acquainted with Horrible Histories. If they look familiar and you aren't, you probably need to be. The
Edward Sullivan
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lesser spotted here refers lesser known. An engaging, informative look at fascinating, little-known critters from all seven continents.
Barbara
In this humorous but informative book originally published in the United Kingdom, readers meet some the lesser known stars of the animal kingdom. After all, as the author makes clear in his prose, some animals such as the koalas, pandas, elephants and zebras, get more than their fair share of attention in books and even in classrooms. It's high time that some of the other interesting animals are highlighted. And that's exactly what this book proceeds to do, introducing readers to 21 ...more
Kermit
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It was interesting to read about some lesser known animals. The text is engaging. The illustrations and little factoids are great.
Beverly
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbnf-500
Not necessarily about small, spotted animals, but about lesser-known animals that are rarely spotted in other books for children. Includes animals such as the numbat, Cuban solenodon, zorilla, Russian desman, and 17 more. Lots of snarky, funny comments, and terrific illustrations, with expressive animal faces.
Donalyn
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The title confused me at first. I thought the animals were less-well known creatures with spots! Interesting book about animals kids don't know as well as pandas and lions--like the onager and zorilla. Fun illustrations and humorous tidbits.
Kirsty
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting read. Lovely pics.
Chris
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
(School Library Journal) What are a numbat, a zorilla, an onager, a gaur, and a hirola? Readers learn about these unusual animals in this playfully written and witty guide to creatures unknown. Each of the subjects receives approximately two pages of treatment. Page layout is consistent and well organized, with blocks of color drawing attention to the humorous but informative text. Brown offers vivid analogies rather than precise measurements when describing animal sizes; for example, the zebra ...more
Cynthia Daniels
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gay Patrick
This book of very well unknown animals is hilarious! Students will enjoy reading from this book because each of these creatures are all far from ordinary! The Cuban Solenodon is a shaggy Caribbean Insectivore with a toxic bite caused by deadly drool. Discovered in 1861, none were captured and studied until 2002! The Lesser Fairy Armadillo is a little digger in pink armor that can use its butt to block the back door of its burrow! A zorilla is akin to a skunk but its scent is far more potent than ...more
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Title: Lesser Spotted Animals (The Coolest Creatures you’ve Never Heard Of)
Author: Martin Brown
Lexile Level: 970
Pages: 53
5 out of 5 stars

Recommendations & Comments: This book was very intriguing from start to finish. I did enjoy how the author explained each animal so vividly but also managed to not get too into detail and bore the reader. The little facts about each animal were all fun and noteworthy. The author also illustrated the entire book which is also very impressive. The
Margie
In the early hours of yesterday morning, after finishing up a writing project, my canine companion and I took a stroll around our backyard. As we were approaching the house, she began to growl. She became more and more agitated. As a mere human, looking into the night and listening, I still had no clue as to the cause of her upset. Nevertheless, we scampered up the deck steps and into the house. After turning on the backyard lights I swirled around as her barking increased to look at one of the ...more
Sandra
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Nice art, great intention. Some funny moments.

They're right about people caring more about the famous animals and how many fascinating species there are out there that we don't hear about.

It's just that the joke gets old. Lets actually hear about the animals, rather than insert a (kidding on the serious side) rant about similar animals that get the limelight. Maps for each species-fantastic, glossary-great, but it could really have uses either a partial bibliography or some
Goshen PL Childrens
This book has just become my favorite non-fiction read of the year and it is only March! Seriously, it is such a great book, full of really great detail and plenty of sassy wit. You won't want to skip a single animal, page, or snarky illustration. By the end you will want five (or more) books just like it! (Please write more, Martin Brown). Everything about this book draws you in.

The concept...animals pushed from the spotlight by their more attention-seeking, but no more attention-deserving
David
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think some of these are just made up. But seriously folks...
The problem of charismatic fauna is recognised and discussed by environmental activists. Animals we find cute, photogenic and anthropomorphic get so the attention and the $. How can we rally people to the cause of lesser known but critically endangered animals, like the Cuban solenodon or the zorilla?
Educate children. And this book is a good start. There are many fine interesting examples here, some fasinating, like the bizarre
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Brown, Martin Lesser Spotted Animals: The Coolest Creatures You’ve Never Heard of 52 pgs. Scholastic, 2017. $18.99 NON-FICTION

This book features 22 lesser spotted animals, each one gets a double page with large colorful illustrations and tons of information including a map of where they live. The book set up and content is completely humorous, where students are told its time to learn about some animals that are never in the spotlight and the super star animals are all grumpy about it. The
Alice
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars Not quite 5 but close! This was interesting, humors, well written, well illustrated just all around good! I googled each animal after reading their pages and learned a whole lot more! This was a blast! I don't give high marks but this did it all for me! The pictures on the table on contents were HILARIOUS!
Why I can't go to 5, well two reason. 1) this is for a book award committee and I have to be really really tough on it... 2) My only complaint (and not a complaint) is that is
Becky B
A survey of some of the least looked at animals on the planet. You know, the ones that never appear in any stories and always get overlooked. These are the animals that really exist and you've probably never heard of...until now. Learn where they live, what's unique about them, and what they look like.

This is a fantastic compendium of animals you've probably never heard of. I taught biological sciences for several years and I've never heard of many of these. It's the perfect read for curious
Brenda
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This fabulous addition to the nonfiction shelf will pull in readers - especially reluctant readers. Emergent readers will be drawn to the humorous illustrations while older readers will dive into the 2-page spreads with details about these lesser known animals from around the globe. Teachers will love the simply placed basic information, and those who are interested in a more global view will appreciate the inclusion of the status of each animal. A glossary at the end even includes an ...more
Monica
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was going to be about animals with spots that are not well known, so perhaps it isn't the best title. Instead it is about 22 animals we don't hear about very often or at all. It is clever, funny and packed full of information! Great book to recommend to those students looking for a unique animal when their class does animal reports (and there is always at least one class that does animal research).
Heather Johnson
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Illinois Reader’s Choice Bluestem nominee is fantastic nonfiction that doesn’t need to be read cover to cover. My kids and I savored it, reading about an animal, then watching a YouTube video about the animal. The conservation message throughout was awesome and my kids definitely picked up on it.
Gina
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This nonfiction animal book is fun and informative. Have you ever heard of an onager or a banded linsang? These are animals rarely reported on and this book is a great way for kids and adults alike to learn about these interesting creatures. Endangered status, size, diet, habitat and curious facts are listed for each.
Betsy
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The author uses great voice and vocabulary in describing unique animals. The book has useful graphics and would be helpful in teaching nonfiction text features. It might be good for reluctant readers because they can browse through and don't have to read in order.
I think it would be of high interest because of the unique animals chosen.
Todd Freer
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A clever book that is pretty interesting - I love the fact that it is written about lesser known animals. The details and selection of animals is clever and I'm sure involved some difficult choices to choose the animals. I wouldn't call this a page turner however....
Miss Sarah
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This nonfiction books features humor to illustrate the plight of many endangered animals. each two page spread features one animal. I really liked this was relatable and had a little box on each page for quick facts about what the animals eats , where it lives and it's status. elementary and up
Barb
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fans of the animal kingdom will thoroughly enjoy learning about insure animals, their habitats, and unique attributes. Colorfully illustrated and humorous as well, this book will delight readers of all ages.
Lara Samuels
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’d give this book 6 stars if I could and make it requested for every library to own 2 copies. Wonderful read aloud and starting point to so many potential interactions with animal lovers. This is my find of the season!!!
Erin
A clever and humorous look at a variety of animals that for one reason or another, are ignored for their more familiar counterparts. Some are threatened or endangered, others are not. All are fun to learn about.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
  • Not So Different: What You Really Want to Ask About Having a Disability
  • Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion
  • Beauty and the Beak: How Science, Technology, and a 3D-Printed Beak Rescued a Bald Eagle
  • Between the Lines: How Ernie Barnes Went from the Football Field to the Art Gallery
  • Wet Cement: A Mix of Concrete Poems
  • Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
  • Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • Yasmin the Explorer
  • The Little Red Fort
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy
  • Rescue & Jessica: A Life-Changing Friendship
  • Alfie: (The Turtle That Disappeared)
  • Saving Fiona: The Story of the World’s Most Famous Baby Hippo
  • Her Right Foot
  • The Great Treehouse War
  • The Truth About Bears: Seriously Funny Facts About Your Favorite Animals
  • Do Not Lick this Book
Martin Brown (born 1 November 1959) is an Australian cartoonist/illustrator. According to Scholastic and The Telegraph, he is best known for being the main illustrator of the Horrible Histories books. (Wikipedia)