Start by marking “Machine Learning for Designers” as Want to Read:
Machine Learning for Designers

Machine Learning for Designers

Machine learning is no longer just a tool for data scientists. By taking advantage of recent advances in this technology, UI and UX designers can find ways to better engage with and understand their users. This O’Reilly report not only introduces you to contemporary machine learning systems, but also provides a conceptual framework to help you integrate machine-learning ca ...more
Published June 2016 by O'Reilly

To ask other readers questions about Machine Learning for Designers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Machine Learning for Designers

Vasilis
Jul 08, 2017 added it
Shelves: design
Excellent introduction. Really like the fact that it’s a small book, which makes it very accessible. It turns out I didn't understand anything about machine learning before I read this book.
Kars
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short but coherent and complete. Delivers on its promise. I particularly liked the final section on how to make machine learning part of the design process.
Pratyush Pandab
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is meant for aspiring designers who would like to explore the realms of Machine Learning and its possible applications. The author regards designers as design engineers who collaborate with programmers and have a basic understanding of computer science.

If I were to use one sentence to summarize this book for Designers, it would be “Start to spot opportunities for the integration of machine-learning capabilities into existing design platforms.”

The author emphasizes the collaboration betw
Alex
Jan 02, 2018 added it
Shelves: design
This free ebook is a quick read and a good intro to beginning to think about design machine learning experiences for people. It gives you enough of an overview and vocabulary for the field to know how to frame opportunities for ML within a design. It's important to recognize that this resource should be used to start thinking about ML as a designer but not a comprehensive resource.

Given the state of ML within digital products I wish it spoke more of the ethical implications of ML and how ML can
Nadya Tsech
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-stuff
The book has two logical parts:
1. ML fundamentals (you can skip it. It doesn't have many examples or design-related content).
2. Design principles and emerging best practices.

Even though it focuses more on conversational ML and chats, principles from the book can be applied anywhere. I appreciate the chapter about prototyping.
Zane Riley
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This was actually a useful overview for the different types of machine learning, but I think what I was looking for was "How to Use Machine Learning: For those who know just enough JavaScript to get by."

Quick read nonetheless, I'll likely use it as reference material in the future.
Radu
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but the interesting book about machine learning. Not too technical (a plus from my perspective) you don’t have to be a designer to read it, as long as you want to better understand how ML could (and would) change the user experience.
Lucas Coelho
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Short and sweet. Full of good references to dive deeper into Machine Learning.

That being said, if you are into machine learning and been following for a while, you can skip this book straight to medium articles and reddit or quora posts. ☺
Chris Rivard
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The fundamentals.
Jay Yeo
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good and clear introduction to machine learning. References many concepts from CS2401 Information Analytics and HY9311 Minds and Machines — glad I took those modules.
Leroy
Jul 12, 2018
Matthias
Oct 07, 2018

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »