Start by marking “The Hideaway” as Want to Read:
The Hideaway

The Hideaway

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  24,615 ratings  ·  1,485 reviews

When her grandmother’s will wrenches Sara back home from New Orleans, she learns more about Margaret Van Buren in the wake of her death than she ever did in life.

After her last remaining family member dies, Sara Jenkins goes home to The Hideaway, her grandmother Mags's ramshackle B&B in Sweet Bay, Alabama. She intends to quickly tie up loose ends then return to her bus

Published April 11th 2017 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Hideaway, please sign up.
Lauren Denton I second Kellie's answer! Also, I love to Skype with book clubs if you're interested. Just shoot me a message on my website and we can make it happen…moreI second Kellie's answer! Also, I love to Skype with book clubs if you're interested. Just shoot me a message on my website and we can make it happen if you want!(less)
Susan Mock It was published by the Christian book section of the publisher and people have thought that this wasn't a Christian book due to the characters…moreIt was published by the Christian book section of the publisher and people have thought that this wasn't a Christian book due to the characters choices. You do not want my opinion on this.(less)

Debra
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written debut novel (hard to believe it is a debut novel) which pulls at the heartstrings.

When Sara is informed that her grandmother "Mags" has passed away she returns home to Sweet Bay, Alabama to "The Hideaway" her grandmother's B&B where Sara spent her childhood. Sara is there for a reading of her grandmother's will. She hopes to stay a couple of days and return to her life and store in New Orleans. But when the will is read, Sara learns that her grandmother has lef
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Sara's eccentric grandmother Mags has passed away, leaving her home (an old bed and breakfast) to Sara. Sara had left the small town to move to New Orleans to start her own life and she had kinda forgotten to keep in touch with her grandmother.
She just remembers that her grandmother Mags was totally different than other grandmothers.

Mag's will states that Sara is to restore the old bed and breakfast and then she can do with it what she wants. It's filled with "old people" that were her grandmoth
Judy Collins
The 30 Best Books of 2017

Storyteller Lauren K. Denton, a new voice in Southern fiction delivers a smashing debut, THE HIDEAWAY. Making me want to return to my southern front porch and curl up for a long leisurely nostalgic afternoon while being transported with this beautiful love story.

My vote for Southern Debut of 2017!

Set in Sweet Bay, Alabama in the Deep South, we meet Dot, a friend of Mags (Mrs. Margaret Van Buren), a tenant of The Hideaway. The Hideaway was once a booming Bed and Breakf
Sarah Joint
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect feel-good read that you can sink right into. It would be a fantastic book to read during a day on a beach. I was in the mood for something light and uplifting, and that's what I got. This book is a little about love, but mostly family. It's funny at times, but mostly heartwarming without being too sappy.

Sara is a successful business owner in New Orleans. Her little shop full of odds and ends keeps her busy. Her romantic life is pretty lackluster, but she feels content in gene
Reading.Between.Wines
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

The Hideaway was AMAZING. It was a super fast read (I read it in 1 day), and I cried more than once. It was such a great Southern fiction story, and definitely charming as other reviewers have said.

Sara (the main character) only frustrated me once in this book, and that was towards the end. Overall though, I was a fan of almost all of the cast of characters and they were all so perfectly developed.

The book reminded me a lot of The Notebook and I think if you are a fan of Nicholas Spar
Laura Rash
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to be blatantly honest. I thought this was going to end up as some corny love story that would make me gag.
BOY WAS I WRONG!!!
This was one of the best books I've read in awhile. It flowed so well that I couldn't wait to get back to its pages. A heartfelt story of love & true family. Reminiscent of The Bridges of Madison County (which is high praise from me bc it's a true favorite)!
If nothing else read it for the eulogy included for one of its characters! It left me in stitches!
T
Vanessa
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect, heartwarming novel full of Southern charm and family values. I can't believe this is Lauren K. Denton's first novel!

Sara Jenkins owns Bits and Pieces, a store filled with antiques, furniture, and odds and ends, in New Orleans, Louisiana. She grew up in Sweet Bay, Alabama with her grandmother following her parents' death, but she only makes occasional trips back, absorbed in her hectic life as a small business owner. As soon as she turned eighteen, Sara left Sweet Bay behind,
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
If you're looking for a sweet story about friends and community, this is one of the books.

Sara lives in New Orleans and has a shop called Bits and Pieces, where she fixes up and sells stuff. She has some other things in the store as well. She thinks she has the perfect life.

Then Sara gets a call from her grandmother Mags lawyer. Mag's had passed away that morning. Sara feels really bad because she never returned her grandmother's call and now she's gone.

Then Sara gets another hit when she fin
Dale Harcombe
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
An unexpected phone call brings sorrow, guilt and change to Sara’s life. It also brings a lot more than she bargained for. Leaving her business in New Orleans in the care of her assistant Allyn, she heads back to Sweet Bay and the old Victorian style house called The Hideaway that holds so many memories. Sara intends to check out the situation, tie up any loose ends and get back to her antiques shop. Her grandmother Mags had a different idea in mind. She hoped Sara would remain and renovate the ...more
Pamela
After a whirlwind of activity in August - out of state company, a mini family reunion, heat wave upon heat wave, RSD setbacks - things have finally settled down enough for me to catch up on reviews. Therefore, I'll not tarry. Great premise, good writing, wonderful setting, interesting characters, but I have some serious foundational issues with this novel......

I finished this controversial little charmer several weeks ago on the eve family arrived from Wyoming. The micro details, such as who wor
Sherri Thacker
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book this was!! The whole time I was picturing myself sitting on the front porch of this great place they called The Hideaway. It is a fabulous story about love, life, family and friends. I loved it from the very first page to the very last page and I didn't want this book to end. Highly recommend to everyone!!!!!
Madison
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Hideaway is absolutely charming, featuring two intertwined stories of love, self-discovery, and the search for peace.

Deep in the heart of the South is a dilapidated, quirky, and much-loved old home. The Hideaway is a shelter for those who are lost or want to escape society. For Sara, growing up there with her equally quirky grandmother, the Hideaway was embarrassing and as a young adult she quickly escaped to New Orleans to start her own business. Now her grandmother is dead and Sara has bee
Lorilin
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, arc
Sara Jenkins owns a successful antiques store in New Orleans. She is mostly content with her life:  proud of her success but also a bit lonely, too. Her one surviving family member, her grandmother, Mags, runs a bed and breakfast called The Hideaway in Sweet Bay, Alabama. And though Sara wishes she could get over to visit her more often, somehow she never finds the time. But when Mags dies suddenly, leaving the B & B to her only heir, Sara is forced to revisit her childhood home and decide i ...more
Stacey A.  Prose and Palate
I realize I am in the minority here but I am 50% in to this story and I can not bear to turn another page. I love southern fiction and I hate to not finish a book. I had very high hopes because I love the setting and the premise, but it just isn't working for me.
Lydia Howe
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Why I Choose this Book:

It looked like a delightful read, and when I read the back cover blurb and sample pages it drew me in. I was headed away for vacation and I thought it would be fun to read this book while away. Plus, my sister just remolded an old house, so I figured it was rather fitting.

What I Thought About This Book:

Ugh. That pretty much sums it up. I dislike reviewing books that I didn't like, but I didn't just "not like" this book, I was actually unhappy with it. It not only talks a
Lisa
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE HIDEAWAY is a charming Southern novel about a ramshackle Victorian house that had the power to change the lives of two women desperately in need of something more.

SUMMARY
In January 1960, twenty year old, Margaret VanBuren leaves her unfaithful husband and their three year marriage behind. She didn't know where she was going, she just knew she had to get away. She ends up in Sweet Bay, Alabama at The Hideaway, a bed and breakfast that had seen better days. She found happiness there among a m
Andrea
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was simple & sweet, and left me longing for an eccentric southern grandmother who lived in such a glorious Hideaway home.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
2.5 stars rounded down. This was an OK read but it did have some negatives that pulled the story down for me.

There are two stories, the story of Mags and the story of Sara, Mags granddaughter. The book jumps back and forth between Mags telling her story which spans primarily from 1960 to present with an emphasis of one timeframe in the early sixties and Sara telling her story which spans less than a year in present day post Mags death. Both are told in 1st POV with Mags telling her story and Sar
Camie
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Sara who runs an antique shop in New Orleans inherits the Hideaway an old ramshackle Bed and Breakfast in Sweet Bay Alabama when her Grandmother Maggie passes. As she works to improve the place and meets her Grandmother's senior friends who still board there she learns about her family's history and the joys of the both " the families we are given and the families we choose."
I love an old house story, having lived in one in the historic part of my city for almost 30 years. Come holidays and summ
Charley Girl
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Donna
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is Southern Fiction, complete with strong women, a shady family tree, nights on the porch, and a little romance. The romance was a little sweeter than I like, but the story had much more going on than just that one little story. I loved the mystery, the family history, and the relationships. It highlighted friendship, love, moving on and doing the right thing (but I'm not saying it would have been my right thing.) I liked the way the author anchored the journey with the details.

There were
Jen
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Hideaway is Denton’s first novel and she comes out swinging. With strong female protagonists in a southern town we’d all love to adopt as our own, this novel has a Karen White-esque feel. While devouring this book, you will smell the air and taste the sweet tea. This is Southern Fiction done right.

Have you ever wished you could turn back time and ask your family for their stories? The Hideaway is a fantastic novel told from two points of view- Sara and her grandmother, Mags. After Mags pass
Alyssa
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Hideaway is a sweetly charming debut novel by Lauren K. Denton.

The Hideaway is set in the deep South and begins with Sara going back to her grandmother's estate in Alabama called The Hideaway. Sara planned to return to her shop in New Orleans but that soon changes when she finds her grandmother has left The Hideaway to her in her will and wants Sara to renovate it.

During renovations Sara discovers a box in attic from what seems her grandmother Mag's previous life. Sara is then thrust into p
Becky
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book got me out of a month long reading slump. After picking up many books this month , not becoming invested in the story and putting them down, something about this book grabbed me. I very quickly connected to the characters and became invested in their lives. A fun, heartwarming southern fiction read seemed to be just what I needed at this moment.
Marie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable

This is a book that could have been written by anyone at anytime. The writing is superficial and the plot is predictable. It's not bad, but kind of like eating at McDonald's- you know there's a lot better stuff out three.
Martha
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like it is more rare that I really can't put books down, but this was one of them. I kept falling back into the story. I loved her grandmother's story. It really was something I could relate to, especially her marriage situation.

This is not a typical "Christian fiction" story. There is a very minute romantic thread of a sort, but that is totally not the focus of the book. Instead, "happily ever after" does not happen for some of the characters. It is more real life and reality based. Howe
Michelle
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the idea of the overall story line in this novel, but I simply couldn't get into this book. It was a struggle to connect to the characters and I wish that wasn't the case. For me, the overall flow of the chapters just didn't click and it got slow. There is a lot of issues discussed in this book and also a sort of awkward affair type situation. Now I think for the most part this was dealt with in a decent way and it's not the reason I didn't love this book. This is just my opinion and I ha ...more
Danielle
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely perfect and charming Southern fiction story. I fell in love with the wonderful cast of characters, and the setting made me want to live in Sweet Bay! The author's writing really made the story feel real and it was easy to imagine myself immersed in this world. I'm already hoping there will be a sequel to this book so I can see what the characters are up to next!
Kate Olson
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-reads
Loved loved LOVED IT. Best of 2018 Backlist for sure. Also, my favorite settings ever - Alabama Gulf Coast + New Orleans. Lauren K Denton is officially on my auto-buy list after loving this one and HURRICANE SEASON so much ❤ ...more
Kav
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel has created quite a buzz and is currently #19 on Amazon's most sold list not to mention having nearly 500 reviews. The vast majority are 4 and 5 star but this book isn't without controversy so there are a number of low ratings (1 and 2 star) as well. So, what's all the fuss about?

Well, in a nutshell, this is Christian fiction pushing the limits so this book might not be for everyone. In fact, I wasn't sure about it myself and started reading with some trepidation. It wasn't long
Born and raised in Mobile, Alabama, Lauren now lives with her husband and two young daughters in Homewood, just outside Birmingham. In addition to her fiction, she writes a monthly newspaper column about life, faith, and how funny (and hard) it is to be a parent. On any given day, she’d rather be at the beach with her family and a stack of books. The Hideaway is her first novel.

I'd love to connec
“MR. VAN BUREN DIED IN THE ARMS OF HIS LOVER, ANNABELLE WHITAKER, IN TENNESSEE. HIS WIFE, MAGS, CAN NOW REST IN PEACE.” 3 likes
“It’s always easier to ignore the things we don’t really want to know.” 3 likes