Start by marking “Beyond Justice (Hidden Justice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond Justice (Hidden Justice, #1)

Beyond Justice

(Hidden Justice #1)

Published April 4th 2017 by Thomas Nelson (first published April 2017)

Start your review of Beyond Justice (Hidden Justice, #1)
Monnie
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Looking for a good legal mystery? Consider giving this one a try - seriously. Top-notch young attorney Hayden McCarthy has just earned her chops by pulling off an almost unbelievable win - a feat that doesn't go unnoticed by her hoity-toity law firm. But instead of a few days on a sunny beach or a hefty bonus, her reward is being assigned to a seemingly unwinnable wrongful death case. A young Mexican boy who attempted to enter the United States illegally was caught and stashed in a government-ru ...more
Maria Chapman
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I am reviewing the audio version of this book**

This book was an unputdownable read.

I think i have found another author who’s work I really enjoy.
The story started off slow and easy. I felt like i was given enough time to get to know the characters and their personalities. The characters were very well developed.
There was this element of mystery and suspense though, that was there from the start, and slowly built in to an edge of your seat thriller.
I was kept guessing, never quite being sure w
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
engrossing and captivating. Copy received for review consideration
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love a good mystery especially when it comes to drama, police, and legal arenas. This one hit the mark many of those topics and I was anxious to dive into it.

This is the first book I read by Cara Putman. One of the things I loved about this book is that there’s not a lot of courtroom drama or legalese going on. It’s more focused on the activity surrounding the case of the murdered minor.

This ti
Staci
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Beyond Justice is the first in the Hidden Justice Series. It is a legal thriller with a hint of mystery and suspense.

Attorney Hayden McCarthy has been assigned to a case and odd things happen afterwards. Andrew Wesley is a Congressman's son and their paths cross. The case is to find out what happened to a deceased 17 year old illegal immigrant.

Texas specifics: Part of the story occurs in Texas. It is true that Texas is primarily a conservative state. This was on point on the novel. Two other Te
Hannah
Well, now, there’s an enjoyable legal thriller! I had a very hard time putting this one aside in order to do other things, and it kept gathering steam like a train down a sloped track, so I read all the way to 1 am to finish it! Hayden and Andrew are both really enjoyable characters, and even the legalese is written in a way that is fairly easy to follow. (No simple matter, for those who don’t follow federal legal processes to be comfortable reading details of such a case!)

My main gripe
Maddy
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it

This isn’t a fast pace suspense like I look for in a book but it was still enjoyable. The storyline was intriguing and I really liked the characters. I’d definitely give book #2 a try.
Jenny
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
Beyond Justice is book one in the Hidden Justice series by Cara C. Putman. One of the Partners in the Law firm that Hayden McCarthy worked gave her case about the death of Miguel Rodriguez who die in a youth detention centre in Texas. Miguel Rodriguez wanted the truth about his death. Hayden McCarthy did not realise that the case was going to be so complicated and she would come in contact with Andrew Wesley Hayden McCarthy flatmate Emilie's cousin. The readers of Beyond Justice will follow the ...more
Denise
Absorbing and fast-paced legal thriller!

"My job is to help his mother discover what happened, peel back the layers of the government's bureaucracy and ensure this doesn't happen to another child."

This is the passionate advocacy of attorney Hayden MCarthy after being assigned a case to investigate the death of a young boy in a Texas juvenile detention center -- Miguel was killed there while trying to get into the USA illegally. His mother wants answers. His younger brother, Jorge, is scared and c
Loraine
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5

This was a intense suspense novel that kept me up way past my bedtime in order to finish it. I did have it pretty much figured out before it concluded. But the rapid fire suspense definitely kept my interest. I did get a bit lost with the legalese that was included especially the different courts that I wasn't familiar with and the filing aspects. Both Hayden and Andrew were well developed characters. I thought it was interesting that Andrew was living a double career life and hiding t
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Hayden McCarthy is on track to become the youngest partner in her prestigious D.C. law firm . . . if the case she's just been handed doesn't destroy her first.
Hayden McCarthy knows firsthand the pain when justice is not served. It's why she became an attorney and why she's so driven in her career. When she's handed a wrongful death case against the government, she isn't sure if it's the lucky break she needs to secure a partnership—or an attempt to make sure she never gets the
100 Pages per Hour
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was my first full length novel by Cara Putman but I'm already looking forward to book 2!

I loved that this book used immigration as the focus of the story. I know it is a hot button issue right now especially but since my day job is working with immigrant children as a bilingual ESL classroom assistant I loved it. I really liked Andrew a lot. Especially when I realized that he was helping a young immigrant child. I'm a sucker for a guy who helps others and likes kids!

Hayden has so many wonde
Emilie Haney
Beyond Justice that takes me back to the beauty of Washington, D.C. while sending me on a thrilling mission for justice fraught with twists, turns, and duplicity.

Not only have I had the pleasure of getting to know Cara Putman through her work with ACFW, but I've also had the chance to do her headshots. Let me tell you - she is the sweetest! When I heard about this book I was sooo excited to read it and let me tell you, it delivered.

Hayden McCarthy is a character that I instantly fell in lov
Kav
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I'm going to have to stop saying I'm not into legal thrillers because this is the second one in as many weeks that totally floored me. The legal backdrop brings an interesting edge to the suspense as does the Washington political scene. What a gnarly, twisted mess it all is!

And Hayden's smack in the middle after she lands an intriguing case at the same time an equally intriguing man enters the picture and I don't know which thrilled me more. Well, maybe Andrew gets my vote as most thril
Sarita
This book (and series) grabbed my attention when I saw ravings about the third book in the series. When I saw it was a legal thriller/suspense, I decided to pick it up when there was a kindle sale.

I had big expectations, probably too big, because I liked it, but did not find it as suspenseful as others. I saw a lot of the things coming and at some times the link between Hayden and Andrew with the mystery I found a bit loose and not flowing well, almost forced.

I will continue with the series (I h
Joyce
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A boy is murdered while incarcerated and the reader learns by whom and why in the onset of this novel. A law office in Washington, DC, is hired to investigate this death. Saying much more would lead to spoilers. Most of it was well written and plotted. Some parts moved slower than others, but all in all it was well done. Thanks to Net Galley and Thomas Nelson for an ARC for an honest review.
Amy
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beyond Justice is quite a suspenseful book. Hayden is a strong character and a reader has to keep reading to find out what will happen next.
Recommended.
Four stars.
Karen R
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fans of legal suspense dramas will want to read this! A compelling story that could be pulled from today's headlines, with smart characters who grow on you, and a plot that weaves together suspense and legal drama to keep it intriguing.

The author takes the reader by the hand and skillfully navigates through complex legal processes, and layers of government agencies, all the while unfolding a story with action and a bit of romance. Hayden's character grew a lot from a stereotypical ambitious la
Martha
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well written legal thriller with a message relevant to our society today. I loved the inside view of immigration, especially illegal immigration and government politics laid out in this story. It is not often that I find myself saying, "Yes, yes!" to a fiction novel, but this one had me wanting people to read it that I know will never think about it with an open mind.

The author is a lawyer, which shows in her writing, but doesn't take away from the story. The lively tale makes me want to rea
Jordyn Redwood
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cara Putman's expert legal mind shines in Beyond Justice as she weaves a gripping, suspenseful tale of intrigue that takes on one of the hardest issues of our time-- immigration.

Hayden McCarthy is one feisty heroine that doesn't let anything get between her and the truth-- no matter the cost-- even if it's her own life. John Grisham should watch his back!

Highly recommended if you enjoy inspirational suspense.

***I was given a free copy of this novel to read for endorsement which I happily gave.
Sarah Sundin
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Beyond Justice, Cara Putman puts her background as a lawyer to excellent use. The plot is interesting and complex, the characters are intriguing, and the rapidly increasing pace kept me flipping pages. In addition, the exploration of the issue of illegal immigration is timely and thought-provoking. I loved this legal thriller and can’t wait for the next in the series!
Linda Zagon
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank NetGalley and Thomas Nelson for the ARC of "Beyond Justice" by Cara C. Putman for my honest review.
The genres of this book are Mystery, Thrillers and Fiction. There is a touch of romance as well.
I like the way that Cara C. Putman describes the detention process for juvenile immigrants in the United States.
Although this book is fiction, it makes me wonder how what does go on in juvenile detention centers, especially with immigration being a current topic.
Hayden McCarthy is
Rachael
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book to read by Cara Putman. I have always enjoyed legal thrillers; they are some of my favorite reads.

I really enjoyed this one. The mystery of it and the legal side keep the pace and the pages moving quickly. There is romance, but it's in the background. When reading this genre that's exactly where I prefer it.

The surprises, great characters,and mild faith thread made this a thrilling read. I had a hard time putting it down! Must admit to a bit of it being unbelievable, but th
 The Flipped Page (Susan K)
Romance, clean, Christian faith elements.
This was a murder mystery, with some romance thrown in. Hayden, a lawyer for an abused women's advocacy group, and Reid, brother to a murdered woman who was one of Hayden's clients, work together to prove the innocence of Reid's sister in the murder of one of her daughters and the injury of the other by gunshot.
Some intense action and violence described, fun how it all came together, the background story with Hayden's stalker was a side story as well. It
Honeybee
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This author is a super-woman. According to the bio on the back of the book, she graduated from high school at age 16, college at 20, and her law degree at 27. She's published over 20 books, teaches college class, practices law AND home schools her kids! She must have incredible focus to have created a book this good. I characterized it to a friend as a "Christian John Grisham."

There are only three point of view characters: Rafael, a member of a Mexican drug cartel; Hayden McCarthy, a DC attorney
Rachel
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a well written legal thriller mystery novel with several good characters. It had a rather exciting ending, but it wasn't what I would ever call a suspense novel. I expected it to be a suspense novel though, so I was a little disappointed with it. However, it was a really good novel for what it actually was, and I enjoyed it a lot and will likely read more of the series. ...more
Linda Rainey
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Tension and suspense push this exciting novel to the end.
Hayden, Andrew, and Emilie plus all the other secondary characters bring us an exciting thriller set in Washington during Cherry Blossom time.
To forefront is the issue of juvenile detainees by ICE and the far-reaching tentacles of drug cartels.
I recommend this novel to anyone that likes legal thrillers.
A copy was given to me by the publisher and Net Galley. My opinions are 100% my own.
Meaghan
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Hayden was a smart and dynamic attorney, interesting person, and great character to read. Andrew was intriguing, and watching their relationship grow and intersect on so many levels was a pleasure. Loved the fast-paced story and message, and looking forward to more in this series.
Doreen
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hayden longs to make a difference as a lawyer. When an immigrant woman’s son is murdered while in a U.S. detention facility, Hayden knows this is what she was meant to do. This woman needs a skilled advocate who knows how the U.S. system works. At first Hayden seems a little uptight. She would look at trial notes as a way to celebrate winning a case. However, just when she gets to know her roommate’s cousin, Andrew, and starts living a little, things become dangerous. Bad things start happening. ...more
Rebekah Tooley
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was another great mystery read! I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be sure to read it again.
Kelly Bridgewater
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy a good romantic suspense that is different and doesn't read like every other one out there. I have read plenty of romantic suspense to know that the story can be taken two different ways. I have seen some authors who rely highly on the romance side, whereas, I have read some authors who rely heavy on the suspense side. So it depends on that author and what they want more in their story. As for Cara Putnam, I believe she wanted to side with the suspense side more.

With Cara Putnam's Beyon
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Christian Ladies ...: Week 1 Chapters 1-8 2 6 Oct 06, 2019 05:16PM
Christian Ladies ...: Week 3 Chapters 21-32 1 1 Oct 02, 2019 09:17AM
Christian Ladies ...: Week 2 Chapters 9-20 1 1 Oct 02, 2019 09:17AM
Christian Ladies ...: October Book Selection 1 3 Oct 02, 2019 09:12AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 24, 2016 12:43PM

• Active Defense (Danger Never Sleeps, #3)
  • Acceptable Risk (Danger Never Sleeps, #2)
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers, #1)
  • Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • Cold Terror (Cold Harbor #1)
  • Dead End (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #3)
  • Fatal Mistake (White Knights #1)
  • Don't Keep Silent (Uncommon Justice, #3)
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor, #1)
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • The Escape (US Marshals, #1)
  • Two Reasons to Run (Pelican Harbor #2)
  • The Traitor's Pawn
  • Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
  • Backlash (Capital Intrigue, #2)
  • Lethal Target (Line of Duty #2)
  • Fragments of Fear
Cara C. Putman lives in Indiana with her husband and four children. She lectures full time in law and ethics at Purdue University's Krannert School of Managment as well as practices law. She has loved reading and writing from a young age and now realizes it was all training for writing books. She loves bringing history and legal romantic suspense to life.

An honors graduate of the University of Ne

Hidden Justice (3 books)
  • Imperfect Justice (Hidden Justice #2)
  • Delayed Justice (Hidden Justice #3)

News & Interviews