Start by marking “My Lady Jane” as Want to Read:
My Lady Jane

My Lady Jane

(The Lady Janies #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  26,965 Ratings  ·  6,890 Reviews
For fans of The Princess Bride comes the comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey

Lady Jane Grey, sixteen, is about to be married to a total stranger—and caught up in an insidious plot to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But that’s the least of Jane’s problems. She’s about to become Queen of England.

Like that could go wrong.
Hardcover, First Edition, 491 pages
Published June 7th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about My Lady Jane, please sign up.
Rachael It's not a rip-off. It does nod it's head at the film (though it's very subtle). It's a fantasy injected comedy that rewrites history. I also enjoyed…moreIt's not a rip-off. It does nod it's head at the film (though it's very subtle). It's a fantasy injected comedy that rewrites history. I also enjoyed the film and have long been interested in the story of the nine day queen. I am a little more than half way through it. I don't want it to end. It has multiple pov's, so if that's not your thing, you probably won't like it, but it's all third person omniscient, so you could give it a shot. (less)
C.A. A little bit, actually. Edward mentions how he wished that he could've been the one to marry her, and how he loved her and all that. He got jealous of…moreA little bit, actually. Edward mentions how he wished that he could've been the one to marry her, and how he loved her and all that. He got jealous of her and Gifford's relationship and Gifford gets jealous of his and Jane's. But to be completely honest, that's pretty much the extent of it. Just a little minor element.(less)

Emily May
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Wendy Darling
“My lady,” he said gallantly, “I’m willing to stop whenever you are. Perhaps you’d be better off sticking to more womanly pursuits, like embroidery or music or-“
She bashed him in the ribs.

4 1/2 stars. This was so much fun. So much fun. Turns out that a good laugh at my country's expense is exactly what I needed right about now.

Before you pick up this book, make sure of two things:

1) You know what you're about to read. This is a silly, lighthearted historical comedy, full of Monty Python-style
Lola
It’s not easy to write a review for a book when said book is tightly held against your chest.

My Lady Jane is wonderful and so, so magical I want to keep it close to me for an indefinite amount of time.

You might wonder: Three authors… three different point of views… three stories intertwined? How will that play out?

Comically, apparently.

This key to having a great time with this beautiful piece of fiction is to not take it too seriously.

Sometimes absurd, sometimes silly but always charming, My La
Katerina
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katerina by: Lola
It was amusing. It was romantic. It was slightly based on medieval history. And it was a gem.
I'm dancing like a happy ferret!

“You may think you know the story. It goes like this: once upon a time, there was a sixteen-year old girl named Jane Grey, who was forced to marry a complete stranger (Lord Guildford or Gilford or Gifford-something-or-other), and shortly thereafter found herself ruler of a country. She was queen for nine days. Then she quite literally lost her head.”

As the authors kind
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars This revisionist retelling of Lady Jane Grey's brief reign and romance shouldn't work--but it does! It's deliriously dotty and clever, with affectionate nods to great absurdist historical comedies like THE PRINCESS BRIDE, Monty Python, and even, I think, Black Adder and LADYHAWKE. The ridiculously punny humor had me giggling from beginning to end.

It's also superbly well-crafted, especially considering the three POVs were written by three different authors, and the historical details an
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I freaking loved this. I'm making everyone I know read it ASAP!

P.S. Video review to come
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg! This book was so damn good!!!!! I can't believe it took me this long to get to it. I'm excited for the next book!! Yay!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
If you’re looking for a fluffy YA historical fiction that also included fantasy… this is it! I ended up laughing out loud a few times and definitely recommend it.

The way the authors decide to retell - and let’s call it what it is - pretty much completely change history, was a lot of fun!

I hope they’ll come out with more!
Sana
**Some spoiler-y quotes ahead!!!**

“Very funny, my lady. And that reminds me"---he pointed a finger at her---"no horse jokes."
He was making it too easy. "Ah, my lord, why the long face?"
"That's it!”

You know..... marrying a horse doesn't sound THAT bad. As long as his name is Gifford Dudley, oh hell yeah. Who knew I would love a book about a girl getting married to a horse, living in a world where people can shape shift into animals with a 16 year old dying king who has never been kissed.

This i
emma
I finished this book last night. So I literally slept on it, and, up to when I finished this review, continued to have no idea what to rate it. (Okay, well, not NO idea. It was between one star and two.)

Here’s the thing. I’ve never had so many problems with a book while not wanting, exactly, to give it one star. Usually I love slapping one star ratings on books when I feel they deserve them. It was hard to decide whether this was that type of book.

I did so
Cait • A Page with a View
I CANNOT EXPLAIN HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK. I was expecting semi-serious historical fiction, but it's more like the Monty Python version of the drama between Henry VIII's kids.

I don't want to ruin any of the plot, so I'll just say this book is hilarious. Basically, the story starts out adding its own twist on history, but then ends up chucking history out the window and rewriting a happier ending for King Edward VI, Lady Jane Grey, and Lord Guildford Dudley. All of the familiar faces like Elizab
❄️Nani❄️
3.75⭐

Without a doubt, the silliest book I’ve ever read and I loved every joyous moment of it.

RTC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dedication

And for England. We’re really sorry for what we’re about to do to your history.

Oh, I cannot wait for this.

Anne
Definitely not my normal cuppa, but still a cute book!
I'm not a history buff (view spoiler) so I had no idea (or at least no recollection) of any Lady Jane, or her short-lived reign as Queen of England.
Not that I'd let a thing like that stop me...

description

So it turns out that this was a fictionalized (read: alternate universe) version of that story.
But with the added bonus of shapeshifters & a happy ending!
Oh, oh! And it's funn
Drew
Oh my goodness, that was the best thing ever!

Is it possible for a book to be sweet, funny, awesome, and led by a cast of amazing narrators? Indeed it is, because that book is My Lady Jane.

When I first heard about it, I was skeptical. A comical retelling of Lady Jane Grey, written by three different authors? It sounded like a recipe for disaster. As it turned out, I've never read a better co-authored novel. The writing flowed so I couldn't tell the authors apart and the chapters transitioned smoo
Fables&Wren
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

Honestly I-
...no that's not a good start.

IF YOU EVER READ THIS BOOK, DON'T. LISTEN TO THIS BOOK FIRST OMGSH PLEASE YES IT IS THE BEST EVER PRAISE GOES TO KATHERINE KELLGREN OMGSH YOU WERE MADE TO READ THIS BOOK TO ALL THE WORLD.

I finished two point five incredible books on the same day, so my brain is a little fried from delight. Seriously I have to keep reminding myself to come write this review and stop dancing in the kitchen with the dogs or asking the cats if they are actua
Ryan
“Dedication:

And for England. We’re really sorry for what we’re about to do to your history.”

description

Since I read this as an audiobook, I'm at a bit of a loss at to how I'm going to review it. I don't normally listen to audiobooks - they're not really "my thing." (In fact, had I read a physical copy of this, I'd probably would have given it a full five stars.) So just a word of forewarning: this'll probably be a mess. Great
Jodi Meadows
Jul 29, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-wrote
I have the final copy and it. is. glorious.

Deckled edges. Spot gloss on the cover and spine. It's so pretty!

And there's a ferret on the spine, just above the HarperTeen logo.
Maureen
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so lovely and entertaining! I don't think it was quite at the level of loving and engrossing me, but I enjoyed it a lot!
I especially loved the characters and the mixing in of actual history with a fictional book. It was quite well done!
I guess this would be labeled a comedy, and it was funny, but I never laughed out loud. A lot of internal laughing happened, though.
THE REFERENCES. SO MANY REFERENCES. My life is lived in references to books and tv shows and movies so all the little Easte
Alana • thebookishchick
If you told me I would read a story about a girl who marries a man who turns into a horse and then becomes the Queen of England (for nine whole days, may I add) and has to attempt to save all of England I probably would have laughed at you. But then again it's 2018 so I really shouldn't be surprised that YES, I read a story like this, and YES, I loved it. I'm still trying to figure out three things though:

1) HOW IS THIS EVEN REAL?
2) WHY DID I ENJOY THIS SO MUCH?
3) WHY DOES THIS MAN WHO TURNS INT
Yusra  ✨
okay but the title shoulda been my king Edward cause he was the highlight of this book for me. until he wasn't. but still!

buddyread with chandler 👑 and veronique 🌹

so initially I said I wanted a wild ride, I wanted to laugh a ton & I wanted to understand what was going on.
check, check & check !!
but like... it was still kinda lacking.
anyways, onward to the good! the bad! & my messy review!

Edward : a teenage king suffering from the Affliction, with only a year to live and th
Steph Sinclair
Three of my favorite authors writing a book together? WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT? JUST TAKE MY MONEY.
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
4.75 stars!!!

Full mini review

I'm willing to MARRY a horse if it goes by the name of Gifford Dudley.

description

Now this book is about the Tudors which were quite known as England's most notorious dynasty. What I love about this book is its captivating writing style and the charming characters. It was a delightful, exciting, magical, and hilarious book.

When I read this book, I became curious on what really happened to lady Jane Grey's reign for nine freaking days! I was also intrigued about her life and he
Imane
“Dedication
― Cynthia Hand, My Lady Jane

description
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
3 Stars

"My Lady, please! I am indecent."
"You are,"Jane agreed. "Not to mention the fact that you are also unclothed.”

I'm not sure what I expected, but it definitely wasn't an alternate version of history where Lady Jane Grey marries a were-horse.

This takes a ton of fun tropes and mixes them together-- using 16th Century England as a starting point. As such, our story beings with Jane Grey's marriage and ascension to the throne. Instead of the Catholic/Protestant debacle this focuses on magi
Cynthia Hand
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE 12-13-15
The ARCs are here! Please ask the publicity department at HarperTeen, as we do not have very many ourselves to give away! So pretty!

UPDATE 10-15-15
And WE HAVE A COVER, people. And it is oh-so-beautiful.

UPDATE 9-3-15

Well, the book is through copy edits, it has a cover (check back for the reveal), a jacket copy, and it is well under way to becoming a real book!

It turned out SO GREAT, you guys. It may be the best book, in some respects, that I have ever worked on.

Woohoo!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
What a DELIGHT. This book was such a treat. I already want to read it all over again. Easiest 5 stars I've given all year. Also, pro tip: if you guys want to read this you should definitely consider the audiobook! One of the best I've ever listened to. Everything about this was just SO DAMN GOOD.
Nastassja
"For everyone who knows there was enough room for Leonardo DiCaprio on that door.

So I was sitting here for a while thinking how to describe My Lady Jane's plot with words so you could get the main idea without spoiling anything. I did not find the right solution. Well, I could've given you quite a good summery, or even the one that GR has is okay, but my ultimate goal is to make you want to read this book so muc
Heather 'Bookables'
LOVED THIS BOOK! Review coming soon!

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

When I was in high school, I would sometimes walk over to my best friend's house and we would sit down and write, and then post, fanfiction. Completely off-the-wall AU fanfiction, of the variety that's often known derisively as "crackfics." It was terrible fanfiction and, yes, it's still up - or was, last time I checked. And no, I'm not going to tell you where it was posted or under what name, because it was bad, and I was fifteen when I wr
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, fantasy
4.25

I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would! It was so fun to read, and I remembered how much I used to like Tudor History, and this book brought back that interest!

Also, it turns out that I quite like alternate histories haha
I love Jane, she's just amazing, and her and Gifford are just my fave couple atm

The book flows so well, idk how 3 writers managed to write a book together that just flows as well as this one does

I've been hesitant about getting this for ages, but I'm so gla
Eva ☾
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of the funniest books I’ve ever read 😂
  • Traitor Angels
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • The Passion of Dolssa
  • Never Ever (Never Ever, #1)
  • Ivory and Bone (Ivory and Bone, #1)
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • Da Vinci's Tiger
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • Love, Lies and Spies
  • Hunted
  • Stone Field
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Vassa in the Night
  • The Gilded Cage
  • When I Wake
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1)
Cynthia Hand is the New York Times bestselling author of several books for teens, including the UNEARTHLY trilogy, THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE, MY LADY JANE (with fellow authors Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows), THE AFTERLIFE OF HOLLY CHASE, and the upcoming novel MY PLAIN JANE (also with Ashton and Meadows). Before turning to writing for young adults, she studied literary fiction and earned both a ...more

The Lady Janies (3 books)
  • My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies, #2)
  • My Calamity Jane (The Lady Janies, #3)
“No horse jokes," he said.
"My lord, I apologize for the horse joke. If you put down the book---unharmed!---I will give you a carrot."
He brandished the book at her. "Was that a horse joke?"
"Neigh."
"Was that a horse joke?”
144 likes
“Dedication

For everyone who knows there was enough room for Leonardo DiCaprio on that door.

143 likes