Start by marking “The Haunting of Ashburn House” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Ashburn House

The Haunting of Ashburn House

There's something wrong with Ashburn House...
The ancient building has been the subject of rumours for close to a century. Its owner, Edith, refused to let guests inside and rarely visited the nearby town.

Following Edith's death, her sole surviving relative, Adrienne, inherits the property. Adrienne's only possessions are a suitcase of luggage, twenty dollars, and her
Published July 20th 2016 by Black Owl Books

Start your review of The Haunting of Ashburn House
Carol
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hey horror lovers, have you seen the commercial with four teens running around scared in the dark and each suggests a place to hide like the basement of a creepy house, etc., another says, why can't we just leave in the running car and they ultimately decide to hide in an open garage filled with a zillion sharp instruments, well....

A near destitute Adrienne who recently inherited a big ole house from an unknown Great Aunt Edith makes some really idiotic decisions herein, but I really enjoyed

Tom Lewis
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It had some tense moments, but for the most part it was corny, clichéd, and forgettable.
Darcia Helle
I wish I could share in the love the majority of reviewers have expressed for this book. The story just didn't work for me for a variety of reasons, which I'll do my best to clarify without spoilers.

First, I think it's important to note that this is far more of an 'undead' theme than a haunted house or ghost story. I love ghost stories, but zombies and the undead don't interest me. Had the title and description better reflected the content, I wouldn't have read the book at all.

I felt the pace
Peter
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I just finished the book and thought it an extremely entertaining and eerie read. Adrienne inherits Ashburn House from her great-aunt she only met as a small child (the opening paragraphs of the novel). But the house has a bad reputation. The family it once owned it was murdered in a gruesome way. No murderer was ever arrested. Why are no mirrors in the house? An what are those strange clicking noises at the window and floors about? From the middle of the book on the action got fast paced. ...more
Amitaf0208
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. enjoyable although at times, the main characters was a bit naive. love the ending.
Shaina
Definitely one of my favorites that Darcy Coates has written. This one was creepy there for a bit. I wanted to shout at Adrienne and tell her what to do. But no. None of us book people EVER do that. :-/
Yes. So I enjoyed this one a lot.

Edit: I also want to add that this author, so far in my reading just writes good ghost stories. Nothing psychological, no gore fest, just good ghost stories like I used to hear when I was younger.
Daniela
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This one was not for me. It was brilliantly written, it was addictive in the best way possible, but the story was "meh". I didn't like it and by 40% of the book I pretty much knew how it would unfold... and I was right. This is the second Darcy Coates novel I read and it won't be the last because I love her style, I just prefer something along the lines of Blackwood House better... I'll try Gillespie next and see what happens, but it's all a matter of preference. The book is good and you should ...more
Franzi
4.5 Stars

Really enjoyable and pretty scary at times. The first hald felt a bit drawn out, but since I liked the main character I also enjoyed this half to getting to know her better. Also I personally loved the ending.
Susan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, non-mm
Re-read October 2019
Perfect for October.

--------------------------

This was creepy. There aren’t a lot of writers who can really scare me these days. But Darcy Coates really knows how to write scary edge of your seat scenes.

Adrienne is a young woman who moves into Ashburn house. The house her very distant aunt Edith left to her. Adrienne never met Edith, but she’s grateful she has a place to live. Her freelance writing business isn’t paying that much and she desperately needed a place to
Peter
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Edith Ashburn lives in a big mansion all by herself. Her family was slaughter,when she was about eight years old. The towns folk think that Edith is an odd duck. She would come into town everyday, purchase a newspaper, and any supplies that she would need. Edith would never have guests at her house or allow people on her property. After Edith pass away, there was only one living relative that she could leave Ashburn House to. Adrienne had never met her aunt Edith but Ashburn House was hers now. ...more
Marie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this spooky haunted house tale by author, Darcy Coates. It was creepy and mysterious, but not to the point of being spooked out of my skin. Still it kept moving right along and I am giving it 5* for keeping me entertained.
Josh
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Haunting of Ashburn House is an 'ok' ghost story which maintains an consistent level of suspense and heightened sense of oncoming dread yet falls down with a corny ending which doesn't fit the initial tone of the book.
Hezekiah
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Blows away the first two in terms of sheer creepiness.

This is the third in Ms. Coates line of gothic haunted house books. I utterly adored the first one , however the second left me a little cold with it romantic subplot. This time however, the book is just about perfect.

As I have said before, the "scary level" of the book is always in the mind of the beholder. However I would say this book blows away both "Gillespie House" and "Blackwood House" in terms of sheer creepiness. Additionally it gets
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
“This is a house that hasn’t seen a new soul in half a century.”

Ashburn?

While this was a very entertaining story, it wasn’t quite what I needed in a horror.

Initially the book starts off with a few tense scenes that showed great promise. But after the third time that nothing happens it was just so disappointing.
In the end when something does happen it’s so worn-out and anticlimactic that I actually laughed at the silliness of it all.

I’ll try Coates again at a later stage, but I will not be anticipating
Dawn
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, gothic
I loved this! Cool ghost tale. Could have read in a sitting had I had the time. I will definitely be reading more by Darcy Coates
Zainab
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark
I liked this book. Loved it actually but I feel like the first half was a bit stretched out. I often had a strong urge to skip a few pages but by the end I couldn't stop reading! Amazingly written and has got a pretty awesome mystery so yeah,highly recommended for somebody who loves horror and mystery.
Nicolette Molina
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scary!

What a spooky book! I really didn't expect to get such a fright from a book but it happened! This would make a great movie some day !
Tammy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
The story was stagnant, the author went into great detail about mundane and irrelevant things such as every step to making tea several times a day, Adrienne started to become irritating because everyday she thought about the same things, and the words the author chose were strange. I felt like a find and replace thesaurus was overused. Many times I had to reread paragraphs because they didn’t make sense.

The word “groan” is used 44 times....*groan*. That’s a great example of the repetitiveness.
Stewart Sternberg
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
An inherited haunted mansion, cryptic instructions to avoid mirrors and to keep a candle lit in the attic on Friday nights. It must be October, I'm reading ghost stories. This one isn't awful, it's not great, but it kept me interested, and I found it fun. The climax moves at a thundering pace.
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
I was expecting this to be good but holy crap did this blow me away! I'm super excited to read EVERYTHING Darcy Coates has written now!

Review To Come
Robin Bonne
Cheryl
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh gee ...... this is one seriously creepy tome!!
I have read nearly all of Darcy's books and this one romps home as the best. It's exactly how I love my haunted house stories ..... scary enough to make you poop your panties. Lol.
Extremely well written with a lot of character information, the tension factor is woven insidiously from the first page. In fact it was SO scary I could only read a few pages at a time until I was about three quarters into the book. (My fault - Should NOT have read at
Lori Burk
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Haunting of Ashburn House

I really liked this book. First the main character seemed too scared to live in this house but she finally got a backbone and figured out what she needed to do. I would recommend this book to people who really like creepy ghosts.
joyce g
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a fun haunting story! Read it please it’s just good spooky fun!
Andrea
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Read this in a day and am super creeped out. I need to find another book to read before bedtime to dilute the effect of this one.
Since I need to write something more...
*** Loved the entire story but the big reveal at the end was too simplistic for me.
Stacey
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
at first this book spooked me, I waited with a thumping heart beat for that startling something- suddenly- jumps- out- at- you moment. well, when the moment came, it was so anticlimactic that I wish there was some kind of jumping. this book was creepy, for sure, but oh sooo painfully slow... and when things FINALLY started moving it was just so out there and it just became silly to me. I actually got irritated that I wasted my time reading it. I wanted to read her other books, but after this ...more
Jessy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was much better than I thought it was going to be. I started to read it months ago and couldn’t get into it. I’m really glad that I finally finished it.

The beginning was a bit slow, but it did get better. There were some really intense parts and the book had a lot of surprises in it. It creeped me out quite a bit. One of the better horror books I’ve read recently.

Only thing is why would you go to town to do research on an old house that still had everything from the original occupant?
Fatimah Gunn
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
GREAT READ!!!!

This is definitely one of my favorite Darcy Coates books. I really liked the storyline and when you find out what really is happening, it is totally unexpected. The author did a great job pulling you into the story and I really enjoyed all the characters. Can't wait for the next book!
Kirstie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe 2.5 just because I like the cat, Wolfgang. Hah!

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery
  • Black Acres: The Complete Collection
  • Forgotten Men
  • Malefic (House of Souls #2)
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • The Haunting of Bechdel Mansion
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • Asylum (Afterlife Investigations, #1)
  • The Demonic
  • The Haunting of Aldburn Park
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • The Splendor of Fear
  • Rookwood Asylum: Supernatural Suspense with Scary & Horrifying Monsters (Asylum Series Book 1)
  • The Occupant (Afterlife Investigations, #3)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a
“This is a house that hasn’t seen a new soul in half a century. The walls are saturated with her; the floorboards are worn down from her feet; the very air continues to carry her presence after her death.” 3 likes
“The massive grey tabby turned his sea-green eyes towards her and projected abject misery in the way only cats are capable of.” 2 likes