Start by marking “Five Marks of a Man: The Simple Code That Separates Men From Boys” as Want to Read:
Five Marks of a Man: The Simple Code That Separates Men From Boys

Five Marks of a Man: The Simple Code That Separates Men From Boys

What really separates a man from a boy? Is manhood just marked by age, or is there something else that really turns a male into a man?

Brian Tome believes there are five marks that every authentic man in history has displayed, and pursuing them can be life-altering. It's a simple, ancient code that all fathers, sons, and husbands need to know, but is rarely taught. While th
Published June 12th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Five Marks of a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Marks of a Man

Kristina Ray
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life changing

While I am an adult female reading this book it is still something I should know. I attend Crossroads where Brian preaches and enjoy listening to him. I never felt at home until attending his church. Brian recommended that everyone who attended or was listening to his service download his book (at that time it was free), even the females. He said women should read the book so they know what to look for in a partner and to give the book to the males in their life. I am going to defin
Joe Long
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for men of faith.
Scott Cramer
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
There are many good aspects to what is written here - the 5 marks are indeed areas that all men need to address. They aren't the only marks of a man, but they are significant.

I was disappointed at several points where Christianity is brought up but seemingly portrayed as a way to help one be a better man without pointing to our need for salvation and redemption. One could follow the advice presented here and be a 'better' man without realizing the need for Christ. Men in particular lean towards
Evghenii Sologubenco
The author points to great need to help boys transition to manhood. Majority of men never got initiated into biblical manhood as the society and at times the church gives a very distorted picture of what it means to be a man.
J.K. Turner
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
My Rating - Put it on your list

Level - Quick, easy, short

Summary
Just as the title says, the author lays out what he sees as the five distinctions of a man. They are that men - have a vision, take a minority position, are team players, work, and are protectors. The book is broken into sections for each mark, each of which is four to six chapters for a total of 24, plus a 'how to read this book', an intro, a conclusion, and finally what he calls an epilogue, but is basically a sales pitch for a ca
Jeff
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Five Marks of a Man by Brian Tome
This book shows you some essential things that make a man, a man. What separates men from boys and what it looks like to pursue man hood. The book had short chapters with titles like “Boys want to fit in. Men aren’t afraid to stand out.” And I loved it. Each chapter has 2 thoughts, here’s how the boys do it and how you may be tempted to do it, BUT here’s how MEN do it and why God set you apart as a man to do it.
I really enjoyed the book and was very encouraged by
Grant E. Dawson
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Blown Away

I got this book on Kindle a while back, but I didn't have much expectation for it honestly. I lead a faith-based recovery house (Reset) and I figured I could maybe find a few things that could be used there, but that was about it.

After reading this, I'm pretty sure that this book is going to be required reading for every man that comes into the Reset House. Or at the very least, I will incorporate these Five Marks of a Man into our program.

What I didn't expect was the personal benefit
Dariana Atanasova
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surely a very useful pick up. I would recommend it as a definite pick-up for any young man, as well as any girl or woman curious enough (like me) to be in on these secrets. It’s also filled with such pleasant life lessons!
Karl Dumas
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some time now I’ve heard that we live in a ‘fatherless generation’. Boys are growing up with no male father figure, or at least no positive male role models. And then we wonder why boys grow physically and chronologically, but so many, well into their adult years, remain boys. When you’re not taught a specific way to do things, you learn piece by piece, and often those pieces become a jumbled mess.
All that to say that when I saw the title The Five Marks of a Man: Finding Your Path to Courag
James Swanson
Tome shares many stories and essays about manhood based on 1 Corinthians 16:13-14. (NASB  Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.  14  Let all that you do be done in love.) In this short volume he shows how someone can be a 45 year old boy and someone else can be a 15 year old man based on the five marks.

The Five Marks.
1. Be watchful....men have a vision.
2 Stand firm....men take a minority position.
3. Act like men....men are team players.
4. Be strong....men work.
5. Let
Sam
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Tome writes a good book on what it means to be a man, opposite the stream of American culture. A lot of it is written from personal experience, and can be too "stream of consciousness" (i.e. distracting) at times. Nevertheless, on the whole, it's easily readable, and great for discussion and has good insight.

The 5 marks outline of the book comes from 1 Cor. 16:13-14. Have a vision. Take a minority position. Be a team player. Work hard. Protect those around you.

Man up!
e.g. Men work. Boys don't
Jennifer Goetz
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
As a single 40-something, this book is a perfect recipe of a man and a guide for any single woman on where to set the bar (setting it higher)! I love Brian’s teaching at Crossroads and his book did not disappoint. Should be a required read for every man. Also as a mom of a teenage son, what a fantastic way to lead a single mother to teach her boy Biblical ways to manhood, by using the five marks as everyday examples.
Alan Geygan
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I’ll probably read over and over. No matter what life stage your in, this book offers a lot of insights on how to be a man of faith in the world. Using a wide range of anecdotes, this books gives you tangible ways to see how the five ways should be applied to your life. It should be required reading for all men
kathy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Obviously I am not the target audience for this book. However, It was written by my pastor so I decided to read it.
Lee Groh
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great quick read...Tome has a unique and realistic perspective on the world that merges faith, manhood, and the memorable tenants that we can easily apply to our lives.
Alexander Plainfield
Certainly an encouraging first step in finding my own path.
Todd Porter
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really great book and I think every man needs to give it a read. It will challenge you to move from being a boy to being a man in very practical and easy ways.
Ronny Grethel
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
solid self help guide for the boy trying to learn how to be a man.
Nick James
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
If you know anything about Brian Tome you know that this book is 100% him. I applaud him for not changing his “persona” when approaching this book. “The Five Marks of a Man” is a very direct, applicable book. If your looking for a quick, easy read that can pack a punch of personal challenge in less than 100 pages grab this book. I will say like most writers & pastors, the best stuff in this book come from outside sources. This book will not overwhelm you academically. If you are a regular re ...more
OnAJourney
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Frank, direct, applicable, understandable and straight to the heart.

No nonsense, light hearted and deep hearted at the same time biblical approach to what it means to be a man and the difference between a boy and a man. It is truth explained in common terms every man can understand and every many can apply. I will teach these 5 marks to my own son, and usher him into Manhood, and as a Man Camper myself I will hold to and apply these to my own life. Kudos to Brian Tome and others who helped this
Rob Lewis
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Written For Our Time

A real man.....

I've heard that sentence end a hundred different ways. Today it's hard to find a solid (and unabashed) definition of manhood. This book was very refreshing and challenging.

It will inform you and encourage you to expand yourself. It is frank and written in real people language. That is, it's not a dissertation on sociology. It's more like a field guide for being the man you know deep down you are supposed to be.
Donald Martin
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every man, or "boy" who truly desires to be a man, and a dad who desires to usher his son(s) into manhood. Easy read, mixed with humor, but profound and right on MARK!

By the way it's FREE to download on Amazon for limited time!

#MC0004 #ManCamp #FiveMarksOfAMan
Mike Waggoner
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read

Pastor Brian shares an authentic view on what a modern God-fearing man should look like. No mamsy pansy, sugar coating. Just raw, in your face, man up, speak. Five Mark's of a Man is what every man needs to hear.
repercussions
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We need more people nit just men to read this book. It has things that would benefit both sexes

Get better not bitter and own up to where your life is right now is because of the choices you make
Eric Weisheit
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this - a lot for me to work on now - but the way he challenges men - you can't wait to get after it. This is a book that I think every man should read - especially if you have a son.
Lucas Cooper
Brian
Jul 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
“Thomas Edison once said, “Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.” 2 likes
“I have come to believe that the transition to manhood is not marked by age, it’s about something much more substantial. It’s about your mindset and your actions. It’s about assuming responsibility for your place in the world and stepping into a new reality—one defined by strength, purpose, and a code of honor.” 1 likes