Start by marking “Star Rebels: Stories of Space Exploration, Alien Races, and Adventure” as Want to Read:
Star Rebels: Stories of Space Exploration, Alien Races, and Adventure

Star Rebels: Stories of Space Exploration, Alien Races, and Adventure

(Fallen Empire #2.5)

There are rebels among the stars...

Meet eleven protagonists battling to save themselves and the ones they love. Human, cyborg, clone, or alien, they'll find themselves pitted against intergalactic crime bosses, interstellar mercenaries, a quantum-wave-riding collective mind, and the universe itself. Along the way, there's plenty of action, adventure, humor, and even some
Published June 16th 2016

Tammie
My rating is for the story Starfall Station.

Faith Jones
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
"Star Rebels: stories of space exploration, alien races and adventure" is a fairly good idea, with some imaginative high points that make it memorable. From a project construction point of view, I think the idea here was to give you tasters of a few long chapters from each of a series of middle-ranking sci-fi authors, to introduce their writing style and capacity for original ideas. You might read this and then want to buy the rest of their book or join their online following – or you might move ...more
Denise
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017, own
If you're looking for a new sci-fi/space opera series to try out, this collection of 11 short stories, each set in a sci-fi universe explored more deeply in a series it accompanies, is a good start to see if anything grabs your attention. As is always the case with such anthologies, some of the stories were more, some less interesting to me. In addition to the Lindsay Buroker story, which I had already read but certainly enjoyed revisiting, the ones that intrigued me most and made me interested ...more
Joan
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cracking good collection of space stories. None too long, none too short and several 5 star ones in the mix.

I enjoyed pretty nearly all of them and found more than one 'new-to-me' author whose style I enjoyed.

4.5 stars rounded up.
Stanley Hutchings
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even the stories I liked least were pretty good, and the stories I liked best were great. Certainly worth reading.
After reading "A Tale of Two Ships" I bought "Destiny's Song.
After reading "Carl Sagan's Hunt for Intelligent Life in the Universe" again, I decided to read "Starship Waking", since I've already read "Archangel Down", and I was reminded what a good story-teller C. Gockel is.
"Blood Ties" is apparently a prequel to "Blood Will Tell". It's a kind of dark, sad story about a young
K. Lincoln
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with most anthologies, this is a mixed bag. As a straight-up read for pleasure, it might not be exactly what you're looking for. Most of the stories lead towards bigger, more complete stories for each author.

If you're looking to browse a variety of authors, this is perfect. You get a taste of what kind of story you're in for before committing to an entire novel.

For me, the two stand out stories were known-to-me-already Patty Jansen's Luminescence and new-to-me James Wells' Glome.
Dtsuneo
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Great story-telling, flawed writing

The drama, excitement, and plot twists were excellent, but the reader experience was dampened by various writers’ inattention to writing as a craft. Because the sloppy proofreading and editing were consistent within individual works and inconsistent across works, I’m guessing that no one felt responsible for quality control of the entire volume.
Troublesome is a general ignorance of the difference between the past tense and a past participle (shrank no
Snotnose
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Getting used to the whole Kindle/goodreads universe (got my Kindle late Feb/Early Mar 2018). I finished this book a couple weeks back so don't have good memories of the stories in it. Most anthologies have a lot of average stories, a few who's author I plan to look up, and 1 or 2 that were "you're joking, right?". For this book there were 2-3 authors I added to my "peeps to read" list and I think only 1 "yeah, I'll never get that time back" list.

I view anthologies in 2 ways. First, b
Charles
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Whitman’s sampler of Space Opera and science fiction, Star Rebels is a good anthology of authors and series. If you are thinking of stating a new series, this is a great way to decide. It is tempting to review each story individually , but it would be better if you read them all and then decided on your favorite universe. For me, Christina Pope, Anthea Sharp, Pippa Dicosta, James Wells, and the final author, Kendra Highley are all going on my follow list
Debra Wenskovitch
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since I have read a collection of short stories. I enjoyed the book, however, it was more like reading excerpts from novels rather than a short story. I always felt like I was dropped into the middle of a sci-fi universe that I didn't know much about and them left hanging at the end. It was a fun book that introduced me to the writing style of several authors though, so it was worth the time I put into reading it.
Jenny Koch
As with all anthologies, there were some ups and some downs.

Some of the decent enough reads included:
1. Passage Out
2. Arturus 5
3. Luminescense
4. Glome

I rather liked Falling and Unfinished enough to want to read more from the authors. Also, Starfall Station by Lindsay Buroker is a story I've already read (and thoroughly enjoyed).
Barry Edstene
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great collection, if you love a good short story you may be a bit disappointed because most were just a glimpse of a series to come. The writing was crisp, the stories were great but now I need follow all of these great charecter's to the end. Writing great SciFi is a gift. Reading great SciFi may be a curse. We never get done.
Bruce
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
An anthology of short stories setting up universes for sci-fi series. There is something for anyone in the anthology, some stories form an appetite for more on characters while others one can essentially just leave as short stories. The book offers the reader tastes of what the individual authors have to offer. Read through and find authors to follow.
Marianne Boutet
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Rating for "Starfall Station" by Lindsay Buroker - hah! An add-on after Honor's Flight. Finally, we have a POV from Leonidas. Alisa (who is with him for this story) would be happy to know that he isn't completely unaware of her as a woman. Woot, woot!
Kyra Halland
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm not a big science fiction reader though I enjoy dabbling in it sometimes, and this anthology of prequels, character back stories, and side stories was a fun way to dip my toes in without committing to one long book. I enjoyed all the stories, and was even intrigued enough by some of them to download samples of the series they're associated with.
Anette
Glome: 3 stars
Unfinished: 4 stars
Cheryl
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of stories by some well know writers who I enjoy reading. Anthea Sharpe, D.L. Dunbar, Pippa DaCosta, Christine Pope and C. Gockel are authors whose works I read and enjoy. I now have a few new authors to select from. I do recommend this collection of stories in this book!
Tony Tkach
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked these stories, and each one made me want to join the author's list to find more of their work. I found them all original, well written, and different viewpoints for the theme of caring for someone, sometimes for good, other times not so much. A worthwhile read! 5/5 on Goodreads
Janet Wild
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great mix of SFI stories

Really enjoyed the selection of stories there are some hints about further stories from the authors. Make good addition to the wish list for birthday and Christmast
Anna Wick
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
possible follow up on series
A Tale of Two Ships by Audrey Faye aka Debora Geary (Witch Central)
A KarmaCorp Story

Unfinished by Kendra C. Highley
An Unstrung Story
Thomas Steffen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mixed stories and results.

Mixed stories...and results is usual for compilations. This one has some action, some characters, some science, and was a fun read. The authors have glimpses of there the and work which have good indications of whether to pursue the next book.
Marianne
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I purchased this novel because of the contributions from Debra Dunbar and Pippa DaCosta, two of my favorite writers. Loved both stories. Can't judge the others as I haven't read the entire book, but from what I've read, this anthology gives you great value for your money.
Clinton Robert Oberholster
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gripping read

But for one story falling short, this book is an excellent read and a beautiful collection of stories introducing many brilliant authors and their own series of books.
Overall a worthy investment of time and money and a wonderful addition to any sci-fi library.
Timelord Iain
Starfall Station (Fallen Empire #2.5) -- included in audiobook #2
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are some very good stories in here. Good enough I need to find more by some of the authors.
Eugenio
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read the Starfall Station excerpt and it was refreshing to read another POV character in the Fallen Empire series.
Susan
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Damnation is the first book in the Blue Moon Saloon series. This is an interesting series and the characters make you want to get to know them better.
Kathi
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great reads

This collection was full of good short stories. Reminded me of when I was first introduced to science fiction, via anthologies like this. Really enjoyed reading these.
Marva
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
All good. Some excellent.

Each story offered something good. A couple earned a new fan. Very well done choosing a great bunch of SF tales.
Buddy McFelea
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting collection of short stories.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Orphans In the Black
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2014
  • Bad Vibrations (The Sedona Trilogy, #1)
  • Once Upon a Time in the Weird West
  • Tales From The SFR Brigade
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 8
  • Defying Doomsday
  • Relic of Sorrows: 2nd Epilogue (Fallen Empire, #4.5)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador, #1)
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • The Long List Anthology Volume 3: More Stories From the Hugo Award Nomination List (The Long List Anthology Series)
  • Re:union
  • The Magnificent Wilf
  • Bridge Across the Stars: A Sci-Fi Bridge Original Anthology
  • Cross Bones
  • Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft
  • Tales From High Hallack, Volume 1: The Collected Short Stories of Andre Norton, Volume 1
Has previously authored books under the name of Debora Geary.

Fallen Empire (8 books)
  • Star Nomad (Fallen Empire, #1)
  • Honor's Flight (Fallen Empire, #2)
  • Starseers (Fallen Empire, #3)
  • Relic of Sorrows (Fallen Empire, #4)
  • Cleon Moon (Fallen Empire, #5)
  • Arkadian Skies (Fallen Empire, #6)
  • Perilous Hunt (Fallen Empire, #7)
  • End Game (Fallen Empire, #8)