Start by marking “Room on the Broom” as Want to Read:
Room on the Broom

Room on the Broom

How the cat purred and how the witch grinned, As they sat on their broomstick and flew through the wind. The witch and her cat fly happily over forests, rivers and mountains on their broomstick until a stormy wind blows away the witch's hat, bow and wand. Luckily, they are retrieved by a dog, a bird and a frog, who are all keen for a ride on the broom. It's a case of the m ...more
Published April 21st 2016 by Pan MacMillan (first published August 27th 2001)

Shoa Khan
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely my FAVOURITE picture book! (No, I don't think I'm too old for them!)
I have also seen the BBC version, and thought it was bloody good!

This is the story of a kind witch and her cat, merrily flying on their broomstick!

But after a while, the wind starts playing havoc and every now and then, some thing or the other goes flying off the broom, which causes them to make many pit stops! But at every stop they make a new friend, who wants to tag along, and the witch obliges, much to th
Calista
Enchanting!

Our family is a big fan of this story on Netflix which is where I first heard the story. I had seen the book in bookstores and was interested in this book, but it was seeing the show that got me to order up the book. I think this is totally going to be a classic like the Polar Express.

The rhymes are wonderful and the characters are lovable. The TV show is so well done that it outshines the book a bit, at least for someone who saw that first and read the book later. They adapted the sh
Mariah Roze
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was super cute! The movie matches the book perfectly too.

"The witch and her cat are happily flying through the sky on a broomstick when the wind picks up and blows away the witch's hat, then her bow, and then her wand! Luckily, three helpful animals find the missing items, and all they want in return is a ride on the broom. But is there room on the broom for so many friends? And when disaster strikes, will they be able to save the witch from a hungry dragon?"
Cyndi
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. H, my grandson, and I love this book!! Great story!!
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is possibly the best kids book I've ever read. It rhymes, so there is a real flow - and my young follower, who was 6 easily supplied all the end words at the right points, which I thought was quite funny, because being a boy, he couldn't read, but he had more or less remembered every word of this book.

We just loved the story, the frog with his pond, the cat, the dog and a bird - overload the broom to the inevitable snap point - but the witch is too generous to worry about details l
Sophia Triad
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
How the cat purred and how the witch grinned, as they sat on their broomstick and flew through the wind.

A witch will be saved before she becomes a dragon's lunch by a few helpful animals who love to ride with her on her broomstick.

Is there room on the broom for a dog like me? “Yes!” cried the witch

You can never go wrong with a book written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler.
Manybooks
It is in my opinion often rather difficult if not even pretty well rare to find poetry specifically conceptualised for younger children that is not only thematically and content wise fun and engaging but that also presents itself at the same time as lyrically and rhythmically adept (in other words, I mean to say that I do tend to find it often not all that easy to find children specific poetry that does not read somewhat awkwardly and haltingly at times, that continuously presents both a good an ...more
Louise
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My children loved this and we had lots of fun reading it
Lisa Vegan
Great read aloud! Great rhyme! There is just the right amount of funny vs. scary. There’s a really fun and surprising and creative ending. (I was really tempted to tell what exactly, but then I’d have to use a spoiler box for a children’s picture book.) Oh, and the illustrations are wonderful!
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Julia Donaldson is a fantastic author. She understands what appeals to children and brings them to fantastic worlds with endearing characters.
Jessica
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful rhyming picture book about a witch, charming and fun to read aloud at Halloween.
Kathryn
A fun, rhyming text all about sharing and how it can have unexpectedly positive results! :-) I loved the "surprise" at the end. After I read the book, I read up on the author/illustrator in the back flap as usual and discovered that they're from the UK. Reading the text with a British accent makes it even more fun! ;->
Kellie DA
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-but-unowned
Found this book in Barnes & Noble today. I opened it, started reading, and before I knew it I was reading it like story time to my mom who also really loved it. It's now one of our favorite books! The words were instantly narrated in my mind, the story and characters cute, the art is beautiful. Absolutely all ages will love this.
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

A really good read-aloud story, with great rhythm, rhyme and repetitive elements. My son is 1
Julie
An instant classic. My daughters, at 5 and 7 years old, fight over who will hold it while I read it.
Amy Hoang
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Room on the Broom is an exciting, enchanting story of a good natured witch and her cat that meets new friends along the way, a dog, a bird, a frog and invites them onto her broom. It has a nice rhyming flow to the story which will keep children engaged plus the use of repetition. The pictures are mesmerising and really do bring the story to life. There is very descriptive use of words for the characters in the book, particularly when describing the horrible and frightful beast. There is a moral ...more
Kirsty Cabot
Read to Ivy 05/09/15

Great story telling, love the way the story sounds when you read it out loud.
Cheryl
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Children's Lit
The rhythm and rhyme of the story make it a delightful read, and the pages of illustrations are beautifully done with a good dose of whimsy. Wonderful children's book for Halloween.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Anyone with small children (and older ones too, I'm sure) will be familiar with Julia Donaldson, in particular The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child, which - along with Room on the Broom - have been made into animated films that regularly show on the ABC. My son, at three, enjoys the books but finds the movies too scary - he's still young like that.

Room on the Broom is about a witch with "long ginger hair in a braid down her back" and a cat and a broomstick and cauldron. They're flying through t
Liam Mernagh
‘Room on the Broom’ by Julia Donaldson is a beautifully illustrated book that tells the story of a delightful witch who has the misfortune of losing her possessions while on one of her magical flights in a gusty wind. However, on the way she meets various animals who help her as she goes in search of her lost items in return for a spot on her broom. Unfortunately, the witch’s broom breaks in mid air under the weight of its passengers and they face the danger of being eaten by a hungry dragon. Th ...more
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fun picture book by Julia Donaldson tells the story of a kind-hearted witch and her loyal cat flying through the night sky, when they bump into many colourful characters during their journey, who end up joining the broomstick. Disaster strikes after a while, when the broomstick snaps in half under the weight of several new passengers collected along the way, and the witch finds herself face to face with a very hungry dragon!

The repeated rhyming structure of the book makes it brilliant for
Crystal Marcos
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love this book. My daughter requests this book often. It is a great book to read during Halloween time or anytime really. The artwork is fun and perfect for the story. My daughter will say lines from the book. It is very cute! She even got the DVD for Christmas last year.
Lisa
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My youngest sister found this in a Hermanus book shop when she was 3. I read it to her so many times that I could recite it by heart- so could she! I will always love this book, for the amusing rhyme and all the attached memories.
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
An enjoyable hard backed book ideal for younger children. There is enough of a story to keep little ones entertained throughout, and the illustrations are wonderful.
Kathy
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Love the pictures and the story is easy to read and flows well.
DJ
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: henry-read
Henry saw the movie first (highly recommend. 30 min long I think). I didn't realize it was a book. Got the book, and Henry immediately took a liking to this book. I was surprised how well he sat and listened to the whole story, as it was kinda long for his attention span.

It is about a witch with her companion cat, and something happens and she finds another companion to add to the broom. After adding several companions, the witch is approached by a dragon...well, read the rest to find out what
Dolly
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun rhyming tale about sharing and helping one another. The witch is not scary, although the dragon might be a bit fearsome for younger children. The illustrations are colorful and very adorable.

I read the book on my own, but then our girls and I watched a couple of narrated versions online. The addition of music and different character voices certainly made the book even more entertaining and we loved the ending. Overall, it's a fun book to read aloud and we enjoyed listening to it t
Elaine Mullane
A witch’s belongings are stripped from her by the wind when she’s out for a ride on her broom. In exchange for their help, three friendly animals ask for a lift on her broom. But when she needs their help most, when faced with a dragon, can they help her?

As always, the rhyming schemes and alliteration are addictive and the illustrations are wonderful. Not my favourite Julia Donaldson offering, but lovely nonetheless.
Beverly
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbf-supernatural
Room on the Broom is a delightful rhyming story. The witch and the animals all show kindness one towards another, which pays off in spades when the witch gets in trouble. The repetitive rhyme scheme will lure in young readers and keep them interested. The wonderful cartoon-like illustrations will also give young readers much to pore over.
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Aweeeeee! So cute! What a fun Halloween 2018 read. I recommend it!
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 5 1 3 Nov 22, 2014 08:30AM

• In the Haunted House
  • We're Off to Find the Witch's House
  • Hairy Maclary's Showbusiness
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho