Start by marking “The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen

The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen

(Austen Adventures #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  209 ratings  ·  125 reviews
What would life be like if something had prevented Jane Austen from ever publishing any of her books? Dedicated Janeite, Rose, is about to find out!

It’s September, and the city of Bath is playing host to the annual Jane Austen Festival, a celebration of the famous author and her works.

Rose Wallace, Bath resident and avid Jane Austen fan, can’t wait for her friends to
ebook
Published July 7th 2016 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Austen-Inspired Original, Jane Austen as a Fictional Character

SETTING: Bath, England present day (in September during the Jane Austen Festival to be more specific)

MAIN CHARACTERS:

- Rose – a die-hard Janeite living in the basement flat at No. 4 Sydney Place.

- Morgan – her American friend who she is meeting in person for the first time.

- James – her boss who seems to have become besotted with her American friend.

- Dr. Aiden Trevellyan – her longtime secret crush who
Sheila Majczan
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are a number of excellent reviews already posted so forgive me if I repeat comments that have been made before.

I have read a number of time travel stories; not only Outlander but some in this JAFF community. Set in modern day Bath, England, this is the first one that has not only a Janeite but also the lady author herself traveling thusly. And how fortunate it is for Rose Wallace that she meets and spends time with Jane this way although she can’t at first quite figure this almost ghostly
Sophia
In The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen, a strange though quietly desperate adventure unfolds for a modern yet shy woman who crushes on a certain dashing archeologist and fangirls over Harry Potter and Jane Austen, who loves her job setting people up in holiday rentals around her city, and is excited to meet a long-time online friend in person. Rose finds her life turned upside down when faced with one of those 'what would my life be without...' scenarios. Literally.

I was delighted by this
Kim
Loved this book. Imagine a world without Jane Austen? Impossible! Yet these authors pull it off beautifully and really make you feel Rose's despair. And the ending... Oh my gosh! What a great story.
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813
How does our love of the past help to shape our very own future?

I have become rather fond of fictional stories that bring Jane Austen to life as a true flesh and blood character, especially when they are as charming and insightful as Cass Grafton’s and Ada Bright’s latest collaboration, The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen. Even though I have not been to England, this story truly immersed me in the many joys and the pleasures that Janeites are able to take pleasure in within the glorious
Rita
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is a truth universally acknowledged that when you love Jane Austen you are always trying to find a new story about her or about her characters to read. Well, look no further. This is the book you were looking for EVEN if you don't like variations. It is a completely original story that you don't want to end. If you have been to Bath and plan to go at least once it is especially diverting because you immerse yourself in all the important landmarks of the city. It is time-travel time for Jane ...more
L.L. Diamond
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Set in the midst of the Jane Austen Festival in Bath, Cass Grafton and Ada Bright give a tale different than what I expected, but by no means unwelcome. These two talented ladies mix their loves for different fandoms, their knowledge of Jane Austen, and their wonderful humour into a book you shouldn't miss!
Hazel Mills
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a gem of a book! Although written by two authors the book is seamless with absolutely no clue as who had written which passages.
The characters are beautifully drawn and I soon began to care about the main protagonists and, of course, a certain author. The story held me from beginning to end and was one of those books I couldn't wait to see how it turned out and was at the same time disappointed the journey was over.
You don't have to be a Jane Austen fan and know her works inside out to
Anna
InThe Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen, Ada Bright and Cass Grafton ponder what the world, and one woman’s life in particular, would be like if Jane Austen never existed. The novel is set in Bath during the annual Jane Austen Festival and centers on Rose Wallace, who lives in a basement apartment in the building the Austen family occupied in Bath. Rose is happy with her job at a company that rents out luxury apartments in the city for people on holiday, and she is ecstatic that her online ...more
Anji
What if circumstances conspired to bring Jane Austen to 21st century Bath during the Regency Festival and again to prevent her getting back to her own time to produce the works we all know and love? What if there was just one person who knew what the world had lost? Then add in two friends who only met, online, because of their love for Jane Austen's books. One is a Brit, Rose, who lives and works in Bath, the other, Morgan, is from the US and has a propensity for getting lost whilst travelling ...more
Paul
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am not generally speaking a fan of romantic fiction; this though was an exception. Extremely well written with a tight narrative, it was at once deeply moving and cleverly constructed. I loved the characterisation and was deeply invested in their adventure. Loving Jane Austen and Bath helped but it was the quality of the writing, an original narrative married to good storytelling that held me to the last page - loved it!
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was so excited about this one and I loved all the characters! I’m a huge fan of JAFF and this was sweet, funny and very cleverly written!

What would I do if I met Jane Austen??? Lots and lots of things! I would follow her and take lots of selfies with her and want to find out more about her inspiration for Elizabeth and Darcy! This is a great summer read if you’re a huge fan of Jane Austen.

This was a NETGALLEY gift and all opinions are my own.
Teresa
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!! Took me awhile to read this book. I couldn't quite get into it at the beginning and then I was away for a few days and didn't pick it up. However, I then picked it up again at 28% read and just continued on to the end.
Once Jane came into it properly I really started to enjoy it. I don't read contemporary novels and it was reading like this until the advent of Jane. I loved the way she was portrayed but she slotted into the present maybe a bit too easily for my liking. I very much
Leslie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were parts of this book I loved -Jane Austen, Bath, Festival week, the time travel element. But, and this is a big, but I just couldn't stand the main character, Rose, or her friend, Morgan. Every time Rose went into her low self esteem, self loathing crap it was like nails on my mental chalkboard. And Morgan was just an annoying stereotypical ugly American.

The ending leaves a "back to the future' type cliffhanger. Is a sequel in the works.
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
20515174
Full disclosure: I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan and you can most certainly call me a Janeite.

Also, I am SO glad they changed the cover, good call because it makes much more sense than the original and I never would have read this wonderful story if they hadn't.

Ada Bright & Cass Grafton really bring it with humor, lively action, and a supporting cast that remind me of the classic comedies of old. Everyone is going every which way to get Jane back, and readers find themselves cheering
Scarlett
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and Canelo for an ARC of this book! Release date - September 12, 2019

I really liked the premise of this book! A time traveling Jane Austen gets stuck in our day and throws the world into an alternate timeline where she disappeared before her novels were published. I REALLY liked this part of the story and based on the ending, it seems like there's going to be a sequel. I love time travel books and I love classics and Jane Austen, so this was right up my alley. I'm also
Sakhile
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-2019
The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen is a whimsical novel about books, time travel and friendship. Upon reading the summary I was immediately intrigued. I love contemporary fiction with a splash of the otherworldly. Rose works in property and is an avid fan of Jane Austen, she lives in Bath in the same building where Jane Austen lived. There’s a Jane Austen festival happening in town.

Her internet best friend and fellow Janeite, Morgan, is visiting for the duration of the festival. It’s hard
Michele
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, netgalley
I'm sad to say that I really struggled to get through the majority of this book. It would seem to take off and I'd think..."Here we go, it's getting started now." Unfortunately, it would end up falling flat again.

Our leading lady, Rose finds herself in a world where Jane Austen never published a book because she was time traveling and was trapped outside of her own time period in the modern day. Rose's entire life is different because of this one change. Not only Rose's life, but many others as
Hristina
This was a very charming read. Time travel and Jane Austen seems like an odd mix, but the execution of this book was excellent. I loved the writing, I thought it flowed very well. The characters were great, and the relationships set between the characters were amazing, dynamic and organic. Everything about this book was enjoyable. I recommend it.

*Copy received through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
*Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Tara
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this incredible story and I could probably write a more coherent review if I let my emotions settle a bit, but I loved it so much that I felt the need to say so right away!

I am notoriously spoiler-free in real life, so I won't give any plot points away in my review. Suffice it to say, if you love Jane Austen and if her works and life have made an impact on your own, then you will absolutely love this story. Beautifully written, humorous and heartwarming, original and
Elizabeth BD
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book caught my attention straightaway because it felt quite different.
To start with, the cover certainly attracts one’s eye – unpretentiously stylish, in warm gold tones on black background – what’s not to like? The famed cross of Jane Austen right there in the prominent position. Or is it? Without giving too much away, I invite you to take a closer look at it – and you are hooked. You will not put the book down until you discover the secret of this cross. And you will not be disappointed.
Mira Magdo
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I always wondered how more than one author can work on a novel, and the reader not to be able to recognize the two voices even if it’s similar.

The story takes place in Bath, which is my favourite city in the UK, and luckily the authors’ love of Bath screams from the pages as well. How wonderful it is to read about streets, places, buildings which you are familiar with and the writers have the same tenderness.

The 2 main characters are Rose (British) and Morgan (American). I think or
Susanne
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was completely non-put-down-able. I should have been grading stories for my online writing class, but I spent all morning finishing this book. I won my Kindle copy of this book as part of a release give-away, and I am wearing my Darcy quote necklace as I type this. :)

I found Rose and Morgan, James and Aidan, and especially Jane, to be compelling and very "human" characters. Their flaws and embarrassing moments were blush-worthy at times and laughable at others. Some of the suspense
Bruna Oliveira
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Netgalley for the digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

Rate: 3.75/4

Rose lives in Bath - where Jane Austen lived - and there is an annual festival to celebrate the author. Everything's going well until she finds out Jane Austen managed to time travel and is stuck in the present and as a consequence of that, a new timeline where the author never wrote the books is created.

Since I love everything about Jane Austen, the book's concept really intrigued me. It reminded me of a
Leeya

You have disappeared in 1803 – eight years before your first novel was published. If there is no way back, then you were never published at all. The world has never heard of you, or any of your characters – this is a world without Mr Darcy?

What the blurb promised: A time traveling Jane Austen getting stuck in the future before any of her books are published. If she doesn’t find a way back to her own time, all her works will be lost to the world.

What I expected: An entertaining
Vee Stojcevski
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally Charming!

Wow congratulations to you both Cass and Ada on your wonderful and enduring friendship. Also a huge congratulations on a wonderfully entertaining, charming, and enchanting novel.
I adored reading about a favourite place of mine in the whole world, Bath! Your novel brought back fond memories of my brief visit and I could reminisce about my own trip to the beautiful city. I envy you both being able to share your love of Jane Austen and Bath together.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading
Carole (in Canada)
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JAFF, Romance, Fiction
Now I really want to go to Bath for the Jane Austen Festival! This was a delightfully, charming story with a twist. What was Jane Austen doing in Bath in the 21st Century! The writing of this story by two authors was completely seamless and flowed beautifully. The premise was unique and intriguing though at times I did find the beginning a bit slow. I completely enjoyed the friendship between the main character, Rose and her online friend, Morgan, very touching and completely believable. How ...more
Marivi Sanz
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff
4.5 stars.
I've loved this book. I'm not going to spoil anything, but if you like a nice storytelling, mysteries, wonderful characters, a little romance and jane Austen has made any impact in your life, you're going to love this book. Also, it's one of the few books that have made me gasp with the last words. I hope that means there is more to come, because I'll buy it as soon as it's available!
Susan Johnson
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley

I would classify this as a romance novel, a genre I don't normally read, but I got sucked in on the Jane Austen and the time travel twist and I am glad I did. It was a cheery fun book even if I had to keep reminding myself that the two main characters in the book were in their early 20's and just starting life and that's why they were so silly about men. And they were silly- blushing when a man looked at them type of thing.

This is set in Bath during the Jane Austen festival and I
Carol lowkey.bookish
From the Publisher: When a time travelling Jane Austen gets stuck in modern-day Bath it's up to avid Janeite Rose Wallace to save her… because she's the only one who knows that Jane exists!

This is an entertaining Jane Austen time travel story. This was a funny story full of historical tidbits about Bath and Jane’s life. It is a must for any Jane Austen fan and I think history buffs will enjoy it also. As an added bonus, there is a little romance and a lot of friendship. 4/5

The rating would have
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Unlikely Life of Maisie Meadows
  • The Little Bookshop at Herring Cove (Rabbits Leap, #5)
  • Been There, Married That
  • The Accidental Life Swap
  • Love Lettering
  • Magic Under the Mistletoe
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • The Cabinet of Linguistic Curiosities: A Yearbook of Forgotten Words
  • The Orchid Throne (Forgotten Empires, #1)
  • A Home From Home
  • Renia's Diary: A Holocaust Journal
  • One Week 'Til Christmas
  • We Met in December
  • Murder at the British Museum (Museum Mysteries, #2)
  • The Christmas Holiday
  • Would Like to Meet
  • The Paris Girl
  • The Perfect Dress: A sweet, feel-good romance that will sweep you off your feet this Christmas

Austen Adventures (2 books)
  • The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen: A page-turning story of adventure, friendship and family (Austen Adventures, #2)