Start by marking “Cast Iron (The Enzo Files, #6)” as Want to Read:
Cast Iron (The Enzo Files, #6)

Cast Iron (The Enzo Files #6)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  1,857 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
West of France, 1989.

A weeping killer deposits the unconscious body of nineteen year old Lucie Martin, her head wrapped in a blue plastic bag, into the water of a picturesque lake.

Lot-et-Garonne, 2003.

Fourteen years later a summer heatwave parches the earth, killing trees and bushes and drying out streams. In the scorched mud and desiccated slime of the lake a fisherman fi
Published January 12th 2017 by riverrun (first published 2017)

Andrew Smith
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the sixth book in a series featuring biologist and teacher Enzo Macleod. The back story is that some while ago Enzo gave up a potentially brilliant career in forensics, in his native Scotland, to pursue a wager. He bets some friends that he could use new scientific methods of detection to solve seven celebrated unsolved murders, all described in a book written by a French investigative journalist. He’s already addressed the first five, so now it’s time for number six. It’s worth noting t ...more
Phrynne
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
This one started off slowly but once the abduction happened things gathered pace and there were lots of surprises!

At last we found out who has been trying to murder Enzo -and who would have thought it would be that particular person. Not me for sure. Lots of loose ends were tied up very nicely and we left Enzo for the last time in a very good place.

I enjoyed Cast Iron very much indeed but it is definitely a book for people who have read the earlier books in the series. Everything is rounded off,
Brenda
When the fisherman took some time out for a well-earned rest, he had no idea that firstly the lake he regularly fished had had the levels lowered dramatically due to the unseasonal drought, and secondly that he would find skeletal remains, now exposed in the sunlight. The discovery that the remains were of a young girl, missing for fourteen years, shocked the community…

It was eight years after the grisly discovery and forensic expert Enzo Macleod was in Paris, continuing his quest to solve the c
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Once again I read the latest book in a series, and part of my wonder why on earth that I have not read any of the previous books? Especially since I love Peter May's Lewis trilogy.

Cast Iron is book six in the Enzo file series. Forensic expert Enzo Macleod made a bet to solve cold cases that journalist Roger Raffin has written about in a book, which includes the murder of Roger's wife Marie. In this, the sixth book is the murder of nineteen-year-old Lucie Martin that Enzo is trying to solve. Howe
Carolyn
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, crime, netgalley
This novel is the sixth in Peter May’s Enzo series, featuring Enzo McLeod, a half Italian, half Scottish forensic expert who undertakes to investigate a series of cold cases for a bet. Enzo now lives in France, teaching forensic science in Toulouse. He has a complex family life, with several ex-lovers scattered around France, as well as a daughter, step-daughter and grandchild and an infant son with one of his ex-lovers. His current cold case features a young woman, Lucie Martin, who disappeared ...more
Paul
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Cast Iron – An Enzo Macleod Classic

Peter May returns with another classic Enzo Macleod thriller that has more twists and turns than your average game of twister, and you will not even see a few of them coming. Once again Peter May’s prose paints beautiful pictures, his knowledge and research is second to none and he knows how to draw in the reader and keep them all the way to the last sentence.

In 1989 a killer dumps the body of Lucie Martin into a lake in a picturesque area of western France, fo
Kathy
Feb 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: abandoned
Enzo Files not for me. I did what everyone said not to do...picked up the last book in the Enzo series. I don't care for the dude at all. Gave it a fair chance and have to carry the heavy book back to the downtown library for someone else to enjoy. It all sounded familiar to me with Charlotte, etc. so I have a sneaking suspicion I tried one of these out at the library and decided I would not like the series. Writing it down here should help me remember!
Alex Cantone
Sixth of the seven cold cases in Assassins Cachés, written by best-selling Parisian journalist Roger Raffin, involves the unsolved murder of Lucie Martin, daughter of a French judge and his wife, who went missing in 1989. Her body was found in a lake near their house in 2003, during the heatwave which killed thousands across France, when the water level had dropped by four metres. But Toulouse-based Scottish forensic scientist Enso McLeod seemed distracted, staring down into the Paris street bel ...more
I Read, Therefore I Blog
The sixth and last book in Peter May's ENZO FILES SERIES is a dull, hackneyed affair with a 56-year-old pony tailed male lead who's apparently irresistible to attractive women, a conspiracy that's far too easy to guess, a ridiculous kidnap subplot and little sense of tension that all goes to make a disappointing read.
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank Netgalley and Quercus Books for an advance copy of Cast Iron, the sixth and final (so far) novel in the Enzo Macleod series.

Enzo is coming close to winning his bet of solving all seven cases in Roger Raffin's book of unsolved murders. In Cast Iron he takes on the case of Lucie Martin whose bones were found in 2003 after she disappeared in 1989. Most people have always believed that Lucie was murdered by pimp, Régis Blanc, who apparently had a crush on her and who was arrested a
Leah
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, crime
Secrets of the past...

Back in book 1 of the Enzo Files series, Scottish forensic expert Enzo Macleod, now living in Toulouse, took on a bet that he could use modern forensic techniques to solve the seven unsolved murders that were described in a true crime book written by Parisian journalist Roger Raffin. A few years on, he is now beginning his investigation into the sixth murder, of a young girl, Lucie Martin. Lucie disappeared one day back in 1989, and no trace of her was found until the great
David Highton
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding novel to finish the series of cold cases originally set for Professor Enzo Macleod to investigate in a importune bet. Enzo is a great character with a complex private and personal life and the development and resolution of some issues in his life is part of this book. Excellent stuff from Peter May.
Heidi
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
In 2003, the skeleton of a young woman is recovered from a dry riverbed in France, but her murder remains unsolved. Until the cold case falls into the hands of forensic expert Enzo McLeod, who has vowed to solve six cold cases as part of a bet with his son-in-law, journalist Roger Raffin. But the closer Enzo gets to uncovering the truth, the more dangerous the game becomes, and soon he finds that his own family is in danger from people who will stop at nothing to keep the truth hidden.

Cast Iron
Tony
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
CAST IRON. (2017). Peter May. ***.
This is the first novel by this author that I have read, but it is apparent that he has a pretty strong back list. I started it off with expectations that I would meet a character that was a refreshing creation to the world of crime novels. Here’s what happens though: we soon discover that the protagonist is an ex-cop, currently retired, who works on cold cases. He has taken up a challenge by the author of a book who lists six unsolved cases that vex the abiliti
Dane Cobain
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: While I aim to be unbiased, I received a copy of this for free to review.

There’s a pretty interesting concept behind Cast Iron, and I liked the way that the book’s title refers to a type of alibi. This book is part of a series following Scottish forensic expert Enzo Macleod as he researches a number of cold cases as the result of a bet that he made. It’s a bit like what would happen if Dave Gorman was on CSI, and I thought that it was an interesting quirk. It’s also worth noting that
Tony Nielsen
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Earlier this year I had the pleasure of meeting Peter May here in New Zealand and I was able to get a sense of his approach to writing. Foremost among my impressions is that he is meticulous when it comes to research and makes sure he has first hand knowledge of the locations in which his books are set, along with detailed research when a specialist aspect of the story is required.

That being so his Enzo MacLeod crime thrillers are all based in France where May and his wife have largely based the
Eadie
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the last book in the Enzo Files Series. It was action-packed and a thrilling ride to the end. It tied up all the loose ends and the baddies and the goodies were fleshed out. It was well-written with lots of plot twists and surprises. I suggest to read this series in order and the series will more enjoyable if you do that. I can now say that I have read all of Peter May's books and have thoroughly enjoyed all his books. If you haven't read any yet, what are you waiting for? Peter May is ...more
Hilary. Mccarthy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book and sorry it is the last in the series.
It seemed to go along at a steady pace and then accelerate to the end rather quickly and a bit sketchily .
Didn't expect it to turn out as it did in quite a few ways.
Easy to read and intelligently written
Wendy
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have loved every one of this series of Enzo novels. The last in the series did not disappoint. A gripping story, with beautifully crafted language (even if there was too much coruscating !!) I am so glad I got it on iBooks so I can start again! Well done sir!
David Gilchrist
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, a bit overlong in areas, Well written and up to this authors usual standard/
Siobhan
Yay, NetGalley has accepted my request to read! Cannot wait to see what this one brings.
Michael Martz
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I've been a fairly big Peter May fan for awhile, having read through the Lewis Trilogy and tackled a few of his China Thrillers. I knew he had another series, the Enzo Files, but hadn't had a chance to get into it until I ran across one of them in the New Fiction section at the library. I kind of wish I started at the beginning. 'Cast Iron' is the 6th in the series and the backstory would have been helpful.

The 'star' of the series, Enzo Macleod, is a somewhat famous forensic scientist living in
John Lee
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I am so sorry.

I really enjoyed the previous books in the series and paid more than we would normally for this, as soon as we could get a copy. Even before Enzo, we were great fans of this authors work.

Cast Iron is the bringing together of the series. It was the answer to the final two challenges and the story has the necessary excitement and intrigue to make it a page turner.
All of the jigsaw pieces are in place - so why am I not giving it 5 stars (as I probably gave the others)?

I think that lik
Rebecca Hislop
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I have read all of the Enzo Files to date and I’m actually quite sad that this will be the last one in this excellent series. I have become very fond of the rather irascible and dogged Enzo Macleod who took on a challenge to solve a number of cold cases. These were detailed in a book by Roger Raffin whose own wife Marie had been murdered. Too add interest, and another problem to Enzo’s already complicated life, Raffin and Enzo’s daughter Kirsty are now living together with their son Alexis.
Thi
Amanda
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
I'm a big fan of Peter May's Lewis trilogy (especially since I've now been there), but this is the second book of his that I've read recently that I've found a little ho-hum.
All I needed was an engaging murder mystery after finishing an intense research and writing commission that had taken some months, and that's what I got.
However, if I'd been in a more critical frame of mind, the convoluted story line would have annoyed me, as would the neat tying up of all loose ends for the happy-ever-after
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable and welcome end to The Enzo Files series which I felt was good but sometimes rather uneven in quality.

"Cast Iron" is the best in the series. There are lots of wonderful twists in this novel, which kept me turning the pages and guessing (occasionally successfully), and the portrayal of Enzo, his family and friends was excellent.

Having enjoyed Peter May's Lewis Trilogy so much, I can only imagine that this series was mostly written before that, when he was still learning
P.R.
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had forgotten how superbly Peter May crafts his thrillers, and this one stands head and shoulders above some of the lacklustre crime novels I've read this year. I needn't add anything else - others will describe the plot, the beautifully portrayed characters and the twists and turns which culminate one of Peter May's best novels yet.

Best in year for me; would I read it again? Yes indeed, and I now need to revisit the entire series!
Gary Van Cott
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book. I don't want to give anything away so I am not going to say any more other than it most likely the last book in this series.
Wendy
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in the Enzo's cold cases but the first one that I had read. Despite not reading the others in the series it was possible to read and enjoy as a stand alone.However, I wish I had read the others first but will certainly read them now.
The story which unfolded fairly quickly, kept me engrossed to the very end.
Raffin ,Enzo's daughter's partner, had written a book about 7 cold cases and this book concentrates on the sixth and penultimate murder. The murder of a 20 year old cal
Georgina
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the final book of the Enzo File series and I would have to say thankfully. This installment seemed to drag on and I started to scan more than read.

The Enzo Files (9 books)
  • Extraordinary People (The Enzo Files, #1)
  • The Critic (Enzo Files, #2)
  • Blacklight Blue (Enzo Files, #3)
  • Freeze Frame (Enzo Files, #4)
  • Blowback (Enzo Files, #5)
  • The Enzo Files - Extraordinary People/The Critic/Blacklight Blue
  • Peter May The Enzo Files Collection 3 Books Bundle (Blacklight Blue: An Enzo Macleod Investigation, Blowback: An Enzo Macleod Investigation, Freeze Frame: An Enzo Macleod Investigation)
  • Enzo Files Collection Peter May 5 Books Bundle Gift Wrapped Slipcase Specially For You

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Invisible
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Hush
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series)
    $14.99 $3.99
  • The Historian
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Hellfire Club
    $13.99 $4.99
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99