Start by marking “Das Auge der Seherin (Healer and Seer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Das Auge der Seherin (Healer and Seer, #1)

Das Auge der Seherin (Healer and Seer #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  9,615 Ratings  ·  446 Reviews
Ein Fantasy-Roman, prallvoll mit Liebe, Leid und Leidenschaft - wie das echte Leben. Prinzessin Torina mit den leuchtend roten Haaren besitzt eine Kugel aus Kristall, mit der sie in die Zukunft sehen kann - das "Auge der Seherin". Und Torina liebt Landen, den jungen Prinzen. Doch der wird beschuldigt, Torinas Vater ermordet zu haben, und muss fliehen. In ihrem Kristall sie ...more
Published September 30th 2004 by Beltz und Gelberg (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Das Auge der Seherin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Auge der Seherin

Elsa
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of my favorite books as a young adult. I loved the everything about it, the storyline, the writing, the characters, the prose. I remember poring over the pages, even to the point where I memorized a few passages. Not being a person who tends to read books or watch movies over again, I remember reading this book at least a good five times in my life. I even found this in audio format after I grew up, and listened to it again.

Everything about the story was so perfect and full of
Michaela Keil
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All right, I won't lie: I honestly have no idea how "good" this book is. This, to me, is pure nostalgia, with a dtwist of soul-food. Every time I read it again (frequent) attempting to determine the book's true "quality", I'm swept away by waves of love. Given the other ratings it's garnered, I suppose it must actually be well written. I'm glad, but I don't really care. This was the very first book of a significant length I read and was the first 'real' I'd ever owned (I think it was a prize fro ...more
Alisa
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fantasy
King Kareed conquers Bellandra and brings his daughter, Torina, two prizes from the war: a crystal ball and the son of the conquered king, Landen. He gives Landen to Torina as a slave, but Torina frees him. Torina witnesses the murder of her father and has to run away to save her life. Landen also has to run away because he is accused of the murder. They live under false names and both become valuable to the high king, Dahmis. Dahmis unknowingly reunites Landen and Torina.

I can't say any more wi
Tammie
The Seer and the Sword is one of my favorite YA fantasies. I enjoyed reading the way the two characters fell in love. It was one of those stories that could be romantic without all of the kissing.

I've never been a huge fan of the love at first sight type romances that are so prevalent in books. Although they can be fun to read (and I've read my fair share), they generally seem to lack some substance. In this story we get to see and understand how and why they love each other, and it happens ove
Teno Q.
Nothing new. A hero; a fiery, spirited princess (with red hair too, how original); a mythical sword (that is never actually used); a totally evil villain plotting to be king; a pseudo-Medieval European setting; the only thing sort-of fresh was the fact that the princess had a crystal ball that showed her the future. And even that's been done before.

There's nothing wrong with being derivative. I mean, look at Harry Potter. The ultimate example: a trio of friends with the main hero; the old, wise
Margaret
Princess Torina is the seer, who glimpses visions in a crystal given to her by her father, the king of Archeld, who wrested it from the conquered kingdom of Bellandra. Along with the crystal, the king took Bellandra's legendary sword and hid it -- but he also took the prince of Bellandra, Landen, who longs to recover the sword and his kingdom. Eventually, Torina's fate is woven with Landen's, as her kingdom is endangered as well and they must turn to the high king, Dahmis of Glavenrell, for help ...more
Natalie
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is one of my favorite YA fantasy novels that I read over and over again growing up. It was the first book that really made me interested in fantasy.

It's so well done. It has everything - action and adventure, romance, political machinations, hints of magic, and a great cast of characters. I love Torina. She really grows up over the course of the novel. Landen is great too. He's strong and smart but also values peace rather than fighting. The secondary characters are really good too.

Overal
Rebekah Rodda
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A really enjoyable book that I've read a number of times about two children, one whose father kills the other, becoming friends and more.
Jamie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Seer and the Sword was one of my favorites in high school. I haven't read it for over a decade, and I was hesitant diving back in... Could an old favorite stand the test of time? Especially when I've seen my tastes change regarding other series (Mortal Instruments, to name one)?
Apparently, I shouldn't have been worried. While the writing style is more tell-than-show, the intricate plot holds up. Even though I remembered what happened in the end, I engulfed it.
Five glorious stars!
Chocolategoddess
This was recommended to me a very long time ago by someone who'd read a little of my second novel and said I might like this.

A very long time ago, I may have liked this. I certainly see it was likened it to my second novel. The difficulty is, all the parts that are similar are parts I cut in the epic rewriting of that second novel.

Essentially, this book is your standard kid's fantasy adventure novel. It's very, very standard. Most of the characters have only one note (evil, innocent, stoic, wise
Maureen E
by Victoria Hanley

Opening line--"In the castle of Archeld, Queen Dreea sat at her loom."

Sometimes I go through Amazon's recommendations page, just to see what they think I would like. Every so often something catches my eye and I put it on the TBR list. That was the case with this one.

From the front flap: "Princess Torina lives a charmed life in the kingdom of Archeld. Then her father, King Kareed, seizes the peaceful kingdom of Bellandra--and its legendary sword, rumored able to defeat any en
Krystle
Woo, I finished this. Here’s another sweet, traditional, straight-up fantasy for the young adult audiences. The characters are a bit one dimensional but that doesn’t make them less likable because they were easy to get along with and didn’t have any overly annoying vices that made you want to rip your hair out.

A lot of the story’s plot or make up of it uses a lot of clichés but as they say, it’s how you write them that counts the most. And Victoria Hanley’s writing, while rough around the edges
Andreea
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!!
Recommended to Andreea by: jasmine passa (miss ya, dodobrain!)
Shelves: reviewed, 10th-grade
Burn
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome.
Beautiful.
Thrilling.
Clever.

I was entranced and excited. It was a WOW. It felt like you were drowning and being pulled in their world. The plot was awesome and everything was properly displayed. There was so much excitement and thrill. The characters were plenty and all of them were portrayed well: their actions, cleverness, emotions, thoughts; they were interesting and amusing.

War, love, cruelty, kings, princes and princesses, politics, poisons, death, betrayal and treachery, loyalty
Rachel
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This probably one of my most favorite books ever!
Katy
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
My first favorite book.
Wealhtheow
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Princess Torina's father conquers the peaceful kingdom of Bellandra and takes with him two presents for her: a seer crystal and the Bellandran prince to be her slave. Torina immediately frees the prince, Landen, who becomes her friend and archery-tutor. When the chief adviser murders the king and tries to marry Torina, Torina's skill with the seer crystal and Landen's loyalty keep her relatively safe. Torina and Landen flee the kingdom on opposite trajectories: Landen becomes the leader of a sor ...more
Sonja P.
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Where did I get this book?: I got it from a used book store. It looked interesting, so I went for it.

Plot: Torina is granted two gifts when her father comes back from war one day: a crystal and a slave boy named Landen. Landen is the prince of the kingdom her father has defeated, and Torina immediately frees and befriends him. She also discovers she can see the future in the crystal she carries. Years pass, and suddenly people are saying Landen is going to kill her father. How can she defend her
Stephanie
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this story many times and each time I am reminded just how much I love this book. I like books that make me feel something. Whether it makes me happy or sad or angry, if it makes me feel something, I have a stronger reaction to the story. Bonus if the story makes me feel all of the above. And this story always does. There are times while reading this story that I am just so angry that I want to throw the book across the room and be done but I love he story too much for that.

At the beg
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I have read this book a few times, there is something fun about curling up and reading a book that you have read before. It’s fun to revisit favorite characters and reenter enchanting worlds. Victoria Hanley has come up with a great story with a marvelous plot, containing many twists and turns. Torina has a rare ability of a Seer, with the aid of her crystal she can see the future and past. When her evil fiancé finds out of this gift he is set on making her his slave, and taking over the kingdom ...more
Tortla
The name "Torina" is silly. Also, this book read rather like a movie, what with its chapter-endings and perspective-switches. In spite of this, The Seer and the Sword remains interesting and unique enough to be redeemed...a little. I'm still rather irked by its very un-subtle (and quite convenient) romance, as well as the cheesy character-growth near the end.
The story was interesting, but probably suffered from its distractingly contrived writing. I'm pretty sure the phrase "hooked up" was used,
Grace
Jan 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy, ya
Disappointing.

I had eyed this book for a long time before picking it up and then it was good, right up until they grew up, which was far in the beginning of the book. To be fair, the setup for the story was interesting, in Landen's family being a cultured, knowledge-based society, and Torina's father being first and foremost a (barbarian) conqueror. Landen had to really prove himself to be accepted into the society that conquered him and took him as prisoner of war.

I found the viewpoint of Lande
Mouduna Tanjeem
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've finally found this book after two years! I read it two years ago. Borrowed it from the school library. I was so caught up, I read it twice before turning it in.. can't find it in there anymore. God knows what happened to it.
Torina was someone I could relate to. And so was Landen. Man I had a crush on Landen for a solid one year, can you imagine that? My friends know. They were there.
This book sounded so realistic, in terms of how everything happened in the lives of the characters I mean. Af
Kiersten
This was way better than i was expecting it to be. I went into this expecting a somewhat watery, hackneyed plot line with a few good twists and characters if I was lucky, but I found myself completely hooked as soon as I started reading. Although it's still definitely not the most original story ever, Hanley's writing style and vibrant characters make the story come alive. The backstory was well-developed, and the main plot and the characters' behavior were consistent with it. Almost all the cha ...more
AnandaTashie
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
"For all my years, what have I learned? That there will always be enough killers. Leave the killing to them. Wherever you find something good, help it grow."

The story of princess Torina and prince-in-exile Landen, a seer's crystal, a magical sword, castle politics, acts of war, and growing love.

Much of this book is told rather than shown; knowing the thoughts of all characters leaves very little to the imagination; everything fits absolutely perfectly together all of the time (a character think
Lolo
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of my favorite young adult book. When I first picked it up as a kid, I didn't think it would have been a good read just by looking at the cover. However, I was totally wrong which just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover.

The storyline was refreshing and well written and not predictable. The characters were strong and deternmined and not annoying at all. Non good books always have the tendency to start out good but then the character would have a total personalit
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

For princess Torina of Archeld, her life changes the day her father seizes the peaceful country Bellandra and returns with a legendary sword, a crystal for Torina in which she can see the future and the former prince Landon. As Torina and Landon grow up, all is not good in Archeld and after a plot destroys both their lives, they must find a way to restore peace. The Seer and The Sword is a really good book with an i
Beth
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in middle school, but four years later I still loved it enough to buy a copy, which I still pick up every now and then. A fun story set in a typical middle-age-esque realm. Good writing, and good characters. The first word I think of when I look at this book is Romantic, because of the tenderness of the relationship between the two main characters. Childhood friends to lovers in the most endearing way. A short read that's always going to be a classic for me.
Morag
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this book and it proved to be as good or better than I remembered! The characters are wonderful and the twists and turns of the plot left me constantly at the edge of my seat (even though I had already read it). As I neared the end of the book I found that I was subconsciously slowing down because I didn't want it to be over. I would recommend this to practically everyone pre-teen and older!
Twilightopal
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens +12
This book was totally awsome!! It is an awsome fantasy, complete with a horoine princess. There is fighting, betrayal, romance and above all........a wonderful story. It is kind of fast pased, but it is still one of my favorite books ever!!
  • The Singer of All Songs (The Chanters of Tremaris, #1)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Summers at Castle Auburn
  • Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3)
  • Secret Sacrament (Secret Sacrament, #1)
  • Hero's Song (The Songs of Eirren, #1)
  • The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1)
  • The Perilous Gard
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • The Bonemender's Choice (The Bonemender, #3)
  • The Decoy Princess (Princess, #1)
  • Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1)

Healer and Seer (3 books)
  • The Healer's Keep (Healer and Seer, #2)
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“I have lived with you and loved you, and now you are gone. Gone where I cannot follow, until I have finished all of my days.” 153 likes
“Let me tell you about weakness! Killing the strong to prove your strength is foolish weakness. Killing fools is easy weakness. Killing the weak is evil weakness. Accomplishing your ends without killing, mastering your mind when you want to kill--that is strength!” 57 likes