Start by marking “The Notebook” as Want to Read:
The Notebook

The Notebook (The Notebook #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,089,012 Ratings  ·  17,456 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. A man tells an elderly woman a story from a faded old notebook, his voice relating the heartbreaking tale of two lovers and their 50-year journey to happiness.
Published December 1st 1999 by Turtleback Books (first published 1996)

Nicole
Dec 05, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
I love the movie, but if you think that was sappy, do not pick up this book. I heard Nicholas Sparks had a knack for sap, but I almost drowned in it and felt no spark at all. The book was so frustratingly simple and obvious and laid out. The dialoque droned. I'll come back and add a real quote, but it was something like this:

"Do you want to stay for dinner?" he asked, wondering what she would say.
"Okay," she said, and than asked, "What should we eat?"
"Crabs," he said.
She never had crabs. They b
Lola  Reviewer

I’m just gonna say it: I expected less.

Not being inexperienced in the reading of Nicholas Sparks novels, I somewhat knew this book would contain tons and tons of corny and cheesy replies and gestures. But NOT in every. single. paragraph. I’m not one to discard the idea of soul mates, after all the young adult readings that I have done, but when something is too wonderful and perfect, it’s more annoying than cute. So there is too much of that.

Also, the plot is so weirdly shaped. It starts with No
Stacey
Aug 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on a train from Italy to somewhere else in Europe after graduating from college. I was unfortunate enough to be forced to buy it because there were no other English Language novels to choose from.

I know this is a beloved book, by a beloved author, but if I could give it any sort of negative rating, I would. The "Gag me with a spoon" category is almost too kind. My apologies to any one who likes Nicholas Sparks - if you're able to find the genius in his writing, more power to you
Becky
Jul 20, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the chicken soup for the soul crowd
This is the worst book I have EVER READ. And the fact that this guy is so popular continues to astound me. I would give it less than zero stars if I could. My sister tricked me into reading this book, and I wish I could gain that time back into my life so I could read a different book. This book teaches you that ANYONE could write a bestseller. Just be sappy and corny and have one big-ass deus ex machina and you're all set for stardom. As you can tell, I don't read shit that I think I won't like ...more
Kat Kennedy
Have you ever come across something so undeniably cute that you feel like you may be crushed by the weight of squee that’s about to explode from you chest.

”cute”/
Kind of like when you see this?

That’s what reading The Notebook was like. The romantic tone of The Notebook was both its greatest asset and biggest downfall. Nobody wants to be crushed by squee anymore
than they want to drown in their own tears and The Notebook wants to destroy you. Never doubt that. Whether it’s leaching your bodily liquids o
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
4 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

Sweet and romantic, but I liked the movie much more. In fact, I LOVED the movie and watched it before reading this. In the movie, the characters of Noah and Allie had more intensity and passion. It is one of those rare moments, for me, when the movie was better than the book.

There are some great quotes in this book though. These were my favourite:

"I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedic
Books Ring Mah Bell
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
quite possibly the sweetest love story ever. I wept like a baby.
jen
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is my favorite love story ever. It shows what true soul mates are. (I also loved the movie as much as the book.) If you don't cry when you read this then something is wrong with you. I think that you can love someone like ally did the lawyer, but only true love with your soul mate like with Noah. People who don't like this book have never truely been loved, because if you have it hits home.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the book:

"I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've l
مصطفي سليمان

بس انا بتغاظ ان فيه روايات بتبقي عبارة مشاهد ابيحة
تحتوي علي رواية
او مشاهد مقحومة لا لشئ غير اهو
Mar 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa bought me this book after I watched Fracture and developed a serious crush on Ryan Gosling. Well, that led me to this movie and, unfortunately, this book. How does this man have a career as a writer?! Who is paying him to write stories with the most obvious choices in plot/dialogue/decisions. Wow. Lowest common denominator.
Carolyn
Dec 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tracy Rupple, and no one else.
I read this book because my sister loved it. It made me sad. Not because it was a sad story, but because it was so poorly written.

This Sparks character had a fantastic idea for a story, a truly painful and passionate story of love and devotion. But the book? It was like my 14 year old nephew watched this brilliant movie, then tried to write about it on his myspace blog. It was butchered by an appalling lack adjectives and an appalling lack of emotion. Sad.

The fact that so many people are willi
Muphyn
Aug 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Muphyn by: Miss Bookiverse
Besides the awful writing style (just to mention unimaginative, spiritless and full of clichés), I found the story just a little too contrived and far too predictable. I couldn't get over the premise where Noah and Allie meet when they are teenagers, spend one summer together and meet again after 14 years to realise they are still utterly in love?! What?!

It irritated me to no end that Sparks felt the need to not leave anything unexplained, describing things in excruciating detail, boring me but
Crystal Starr Light
Well, that's one author I can cross off my "to-read" list.

Noah and Allie fell in love one summer when he was 17 and she 15. She leaves, and fourteen years pass before Allie, now engaged, returns to Noah. Are they still in love? Will she marry her over-working fiance, with whom she shares a passionless relationship and who keeps her from pursuing her passion of art? Or will she choose Noah, the boy she spent a grand total of one summer with and lost her virginity to (and hasn't had sex with anoth
Abby
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I didn't love this book, even though every other girl on planet earth does. Here's the deal: it's an old guy at the end of his life, showing how undyingly committed and in love he is with his elderly wife, who is dying of Alzheimer's. Sweet, right? Except here is how he shows his love: every day, he reads her the story of their love. It involves hooking up as teenagers, then being apart without communication for years and years, yet yearning for one another while sleeping around with other p ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Notebook (The Notebook #1), Nicholas Sparks
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: هشتم فوریه سال 2000 میلادی
عنوان: دفتر خاطرات ؛ نویسنده: نیکولاس اسپارکس؛ مترجم: نفیسه معتکف؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، لیوسا، 1378، در 213 ص، شابک: 9645634032؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی قرن 20 م
مهدی سجودی مقدم نیز تحت عنوان: دفترچه خاطرات (و با عنوان فرعی: شورِ عشق) کتاب را ترجمه و توسط انتشارات مهراندیش منتشر شده
رمانی عاشقانه است از نیکلاس اسپارکس، که براساس داستانی واقعی نوشته شده. این کتاب بعدها مبنای اقتباسی سینمایی به همی
Dana
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true love lovers, people who believes that true love will surely return to you one day
Recommended to Dana by: Anupama P
Does such true love really exist? Nicholas Sparks, all I can tell is that your wife Cathy has been lucky to marry you!I cried like a baby.Yes, true love will return to you, maybe not in a very perfect condition, maybe with a fiancee, maybe not with a good heart, but surely it'll return.
Jane
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where I got the book: I have absolutely no idea what this was doing on the Shelf of Shame. I'm really hoping it was a freebie from some event, because seriously, I wouldn't have bought it would I? Another Bad Book Buddy Read with Crystal Starr Light.

Bottom line:

Well, there's no accounting for taste, and if you like sappy Twoo Luv stories this is your man. My mileage varied, mostly because I was reading critically with ALL my teeth and claws out, so I'll forgive you if you enjoyed it because yeah
Colleen
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantics, family of Alzheimer's
As an author, I learned that this romantic, simple style is not my cup of tea. Although I enjoy cheesy comedies (the work of Capra springs to mind), I don't yearn to write them myself. The original love story of this novel was a little too pat and plain-- it was too clear that this was the love of a lifetime. Perhaps I'm jaded, but I really think a lifetime of love is more irritating-- after all, no two people can be absolutely perfect for each other. In fact, that irritation and friction, and l ...more
Frankie Lovely
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movie-was-better
1 star

In a Word : boring

Initial thoughts

*Opens book*
*Reads book*
*Wonders if watching paint dry might actually be more exciting*
*Closes book*
*Yawns*

The Story

We’ve all seen the movie right? So it's that... but with all the emotion sucked out of it.

Pros

The beauty of lifetime love was represented in this story. The kind of love that leaves you falling in love with that person every day no matter what life brings your way. Like, real life love.

Cons

The romance was a snooze fest.

So here’s wha
james
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who believes in true love and a soulmate.
Shelves: favorites
by far, one of my favorite books.

call me a sucker. i can totally relate to the concept of true love and a soulmate. i don't think you get many chances at finding that one person, and when you do, you know it.

never let go of the one that you know BELONGS with you. on your mind every second of every day.

"forever with you, forever in me, ever the same" (rob thomas- ever the same).
Arlene
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009, romance, adult
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks is a story about two teenagers from opposite sides of the track who meet one fateful summer and fall in love for a lifetime. This novel was engaging and steady paced. I was able to read it in one sitting as I was drawn into the lives of Noah and Allie. Nicholas Sparks has created a poignant story about two people who try to recapture the love they once shared despite the passage of time.

Noah Calhoun is a simple boy with simple dreams. He loves poetry, his life in
Loyda
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5⭐⭐⭐⭐Stars

I actually liked that I watched the movie before reading the book (I know I am shocked lol 😂). The narrator was on point and made me feel a lot. I might have fell asleep with teary eyes or with waterfalls... Same difference whatever lol 🙄🤔😒😂 hahaha

Listening to the audio copy, I can't stop picturing Ryan Gosling 😝

Carlos De Eguiluz
De las pocas historias en las que puedo afirmar que la película es mejor que el libro mismo.
April
Oct 02, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one with a brain
Shelves: absoluterubbish
I have, in my lifetime, come across so few people that I can honestly say the following about "Straight to a fault". Mr. Sparks steals the cake in this book. Not only does he play up to every hopelessly/sappily romantic notion pop-culture has ever churned out for women over the age of 10, he does this in a sexist/uber macho yet trying to come of as sweet but rough around the edges kind of way. Oh male privilege.... If you want to write from a woman's perspective, you should maybe have the foreth ...more
Tara
Mar 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quotes

I suppose [my life] has most resembled a blue chip stock: fairly stable, more ups than downs, and gradually trending upward over time. A good buy, a lucky buy, and I've learned that not everyone can say that about his life.

"A living poem" had always been the words that came to mind when he tried to describe her to others.

Our lives can't be measured by our final years, of this I am sure.

We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only
Golshan Tabatabaie
I see the book and the movie as two complete separate things. The movie was another world to me. So i don't want to compare it with the book. (Though the movie was absolutely 100 percent better!..anyway..)

So I'm just gonna talk about the book one thing i didn't like about it was that it didn't mention how they met it didn't explain the whole story it was like this: i met this beautiful girl and i fell in love with her!! What's magical about that? some of us want to know the details.

And when Alli
Rossy
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
I expected to love it, because *don't hate me* I absoultely LOVE the film.
But I was disappointed. It was way too sunshine and rainbows! I love their love story and I got teary eyed at the end and when I was reading Allie's last letter, but I was hoping it would make me bawl my eyes out as the film does. (Meaning sobs, I can't breathe, punching the pillow, etc.)
I felt it lacked passion, the characters were a little too flat for me, and, again, comparing it to the film: Book Noah was too perfect,
Catherine ♡
I will honestly never know what I truly think of this book because I watched the movie first and it was all I could imagine the entire time I was reading this...

I loved the movie - but I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Alyssa
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book because I absolutely love the movie. It's pretty muc the story of Levi and I, except that we're aren't old yet. He had to kind of convince me to date his, and it was the greatest summer of my life. We were separated by his time at Basic training and his mission to Taiwan. Neither of us had much closure when the relationship had to end. When he returned from his mission I was engaged to someone else, but I had already stated to realize that it wasn't meant to be for he ...more
Bad writing style 33 420 Oct 02, 2017 06:10AM
IRP #1 1 1 Sep 17, 2017 01:12PM
Suffolk bookclub: Notebook- Nicholas Sparks July 1017 9 9 Aug 29, 2017 05:10PM
The Swiftie Book ...: The Notebook *May Contain Spoilers* 5 9 Jul 10, 2017 09:59AM
  • Sam's Letters to Jennifer
  • The Locket (The Locket, #1)
  • Star
  • 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2)
  • The Smoke Jumper
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • The Bridges of Madison County
  • P.S. I Love You
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • Telling Christina Goodbye
  • The Devil Wears Prada (The Devil Wears Prada, #1)
  • Angel Falls

Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the n

More about Nicholas Sparks...

The Notebook (2 books)
  • The Wedding (The Notebook, #2)
“I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough..” 23124 likes
“So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.” 16089 likes