Start by marking “dummy” as Want to Read:
dummy

dummy

'The night before Charlie was born I had this dream. I dreamt that I was a soldier, riding into battle ... completely naked, and on the back of a large, inflatable duck.'

Matt Coyne has become a hero for thousands of parents everywhere who are devoted followers of his popular blog, Man vs Baby.

This is his book, and it is not your average parenting tome. It's packed with com
Published April 20th 2017 by Wildfire

To ask other readers questions about dummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about dummy

Danielle Smith
Jun 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much swearing for my taste. Would have been absolutely hilarious if every other word wasn’t foul.
Edwin Howard
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MAN VS. BABY by Matt Coyne, for those of us who have children, humorously reminds us what we went through when our kids were babies. For those who have yet to have children, I think Coyne might confirm some people's thoughts that they shouldn't have little demons who make their lives infinitely more complicated and messy, but for most Coyne leaves the reader with a sense of enlightenment and happiness that while all of the trails and challenges parenthood of a baby presents, there is something w ...more
Amy
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is hilarious! I knew exactly what the author meant abt first time parenting. I laughed throughout the whole book.
Fernanda
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super funny!!!
Joanne
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I guess this is a blog? Parenting is hard. Not much new ground here. Might appeal to the new millennial parent, provided there's a huge tolerance for profanity.
Clare
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I might be had up for child neglect but I just couldn't put this book down.
Please note do not read after you've settled your 6 month old baby to sleep next to you, at one point I had to vacate the bed for fear my attempts at silent laughing would jiggle him off the bed and that would have really p***ed him off and to be honest I felt sitting on the loo was probably the safest place as I didn't know if I could control my bladder .... I could woohoo. However the deranged laughing confused the dog
Richard
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A trend has developed over the past few years for parenting online bloggers who refuse to sugar coat what parenting is really like and have become known for their brutal honesty and sharing warts an all from their journeys as parents. I first became aware of this trend as my wife read out funny excerpts from blogs written by The Unmumsy Mum and Hurrah for Gin. It wasn't until I discovered Matt Coyne's Man vs Baby blog that I started to pay more attention. His sense of humour and brutal take down ...more
Jason
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amy-s-book-club
Meh...started off good. It was funny, but then in parts it really dragged on. The comedy was funny at first but the over the top descriptions of parenting got old. Seemed like he was pandering to his wife a lot. The part where he's writing to his son seemed pointless and out of place. He tries to be funny and come off like "hey, I don't know what I'm doing" and "there's no right way to do things" but then proceeds to get on a soapbox about certain subjects and lecture to you. And he works in a f ...more
eileen fothergill
A lighter look at bringing home baby !!

I gave this book 4 stars .
I knew this book would be a lighter look at everything you need to know about a babies first year .I found it very funny especially the part where he is advised to keep a sleep journal and for me personally I found it very relatable . It's very readable and I found it true to life and the author was right when he says most of us are winging it .The book itself although light hearted also shows how hard it can be coping with a new b
There seem to be a lot of books out there anymore where someone has a blog that becomes a book. This means that the books is a bunch of random moments in time, and not really a cohesive piece. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of funny moments, I'm just kind of over the format by this point. If you haven't read a lot of books that are based off blog posts, and don't care about profanity, then you might like this book.

This book is a definite no-holds-bar approach to a man's view on his first
Hazel
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My partner and I laughed out loud so many times whilst reading this book. We read some chapters aloud together and then both picked it up intermittently, alone, for a mixture of amusement and education. It really does open your eyes to some of the realities of becoming a new parent.

Each chapter is dedicated to a different topic, such as feeding. With a lighthearted and sarcastic tone throughout, the anecdotes are funny and heartwarming. Each chapter always ends with something heartfelt and ther
Adrian Rose
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly Hilarious

This book is brilliant, simply brilliant and while my own experience of fatherhood is different to Matt's there are a lot of similarities.

The book discusses parenting in the way you talk to your partner (or a close friend), which is often a lot more graphic than you would be allowed in polite company and this is the reason it's so refreshing and so funny.

I can't wait for the next instalment of Dummy and the continued updates on Facebook.

Thank you Matt for making me realise tha
Shaun Dyer
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dummy: Parenting for the Inept and the Clueless is a hilarious and heart warming parenting book that, in my humble opinion, should be provided on the NHS to all new parents.

Unlike 99% of the other parenting books I've read Dummy doesn't take itself too seriously, it doesn't pretend to have all the answers and it won't make you feel like your making a hash of things; and that is the kind of book new parents need to read.

Matt Coyne has a fantastically approachable style that make this a swift and
Sarah Jones
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BUY IT NOW

I only recently discovered Man VS Baby on Facebook and "dropped a like" seeing as what i read made me chuckle a bit. Saw the book was coming out and thought brilliant, all the chuckles in one place without wading through rubbish comments from people like Greg (you know who you are, Greg. Don't try to deny it now). Other than the soul crushing revelations that the Loch Ness Monster, the Jabberwocky and unicorns are, in fact, not real (spoiler alert, sorry!) it was a thoroughly enjoyable
Kristina
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I started reading this at 9 months pregnant and finished it whilst my 2 day old son tried to work out if my chin was as useful as my nipples (spoiler alert, it's not and he's not happy about it).
This book is such a breath of fresh air. I've been reading Matt's blog since he created it so was looking forward to his take on a parenting manual. I wasn't dissapointed. Good topics, I especially found the review of parent and baby classes useful as I'm about to have a years maternity leave.
Additionall
Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. As the mother of a 6 month old little boy, I can relate so hard. Matt is freakin' hilarious and everything he says about parenting is SO TRUE. This is the most honest parenting book I've ever read. From figuring out who gets stuck with the next poopy diaper to trying to dress a squirmy baby to installing the car seat, it was all oh so familiar to me. Having a baby is at once the hardest and most hilarious thing we've ever done. Yes, we're exhausted sometimes, but you ...more
Theo Kokonas
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredibly informative, the book I should have read before I embarked on parenting, yet equally amusing while in my first year of it.
I had to refrain from reading it on my morning commute since I'd end up suppressing my laughing fits and making my fellow travelers very uncomfortable.
It's written well, the author has a great air of self deprecation which adds to the humour and it covers literally everything you'd face in your first year.
Gareth Russell
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book is an absolute blinder with lots of laugh out loud, trying to gag a giggle moments. The second half is merely quite humorous and feels as if the author ran out of steam a little. Still a great read over all... but as a father of 3 children, I did find myself thinking: "Just you wait until you have to deal with more demands from little people."

Get this for summer. Unless you're offended by bad language in which case avoid like the plague.
Chris Harvey
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clever book with funny comments that makes you feel like less of a failure as a parent. So many stories/analysis of events resonated with me. There are also lots of heartfelt stuff too. So put down those parenting guides that make you feel bad, this won’t teach you anything but will make you feel better.
Leanne Keenoo
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I follow Matt on instagram and had high hopes for this book.
I wasn’t disappointed.
A light hearted, hilarious, tongue in cheek book about the first daunting year as parents and all the ridiculous advice and situations you find yourself in.
Sweary so if you are offended by profanity and straight talking read Gina Ford instead
Hannah
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG, this book is hilarious! I wish I could give it an extra star! I laughed all the way through it as Coyne accurately described the first year of parenting, covering every aspect in increasingly snort-inducing comedic reflections. I'm just really hoping he follows up on year two; the entry of the toddler. No pressure, Matt.
Carol
What started out as a late-night ramble turned into one great book. I love reading parenting stories, and the author does a great job balancing the heartfelt with the hilarious. I found myself interrupting my husband's own reading of another book to read passages of this book out loud.
I received an advanced copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review consideration.
Kelly
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book you by parents to be and when you give it to them warn them not to eat or drink whilst reading it. Hilarious and heart warming account of new parenthood. I have a sleep stealing midget and I finished it in three days. That's how good it is! Buy and enjoy.
Sam
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming and hilarious throughout. I'm so happy I found and read this book - it's the best, most reassuring and informative parenting book I've come across ...and it had me in stitches. Magnificent.
Jen Abram
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The perfect balance of curse ridden rants and beautifully written stories about being a first time parent. Listened to it while walking the dog, baby girl in the pram and it had me laughing out loud in the park, loved it!
Rachel
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious

Fantastic book, thoroughly enjoyed it - cried, laughed, drank lots of wine whilst nodding vigorously and suddenly felt very glad that my children are past the vomit and night feed stage!
Racheal Paquette
Omg!!! This book was a laugh out loud, pee your pants, page turner! I loved it!! For anyone who has a kid, is planning on having one, or just wants a good laugh, this book is For you!!! Highly recommended!!! Amazing!
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I laughed out loud at so many parts. It is brutally honest about some of the horrors of parenting.
Mark Barnes
Very sweary, but very funny.
Catherine
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, memoir, essays
Very funny but profane & drags a bit at the end