Start by marking “The Reluctant Farmer of Whimsey Hill” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Farmer of Whimsey Hill

Read Book* *Different edition

The Reluctant Farmer of Whimsey Hill

We all know the saying - opposites attract. But the serious question is how long can such a relationship really endure? That’s what troubles animal-phobic, robotics engineer Brad about his recent marriage to animal-rescuing Nancy. According to the Meyers-Briggs Personality Test, their union is doomed. There’s only one problem: they took the test after the wedding.
Whether
Paperback, First, 344 pages
Published June 29th 2016 by Whimsey Wylde

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Farmer of Whimsey Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Farmer of Whimsey Hill

Start your review of The Reluctant Farmer of Whimsey Hill
Karen
Memoirs, biographies, and autobiographies are my favorite types of nonfiction, with history as a close (and related) second. This memoir had me giggling almost from page 1. This is the story of Brad, a Navy engineer. Brad has disliked animals since he was a youngster after a cat viciously scratched him. Unfortunately, he happened to meet and fall in love with Nancy, an animal lover par excellence. Their differences are many: he wants a city life, she wants a farm; he doesn't want pets, she has b ...more
Sharon Huether
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, family
I won this book through Goodreads First-Reads.
Brad and Nancy have differing ideas on where they should live after they are married.
Nancy has a horse, so that means country. Brad goes on with the idea of country living, a little reluctantly.
As time goes on there are more horses, dogs and cats and one steer. Brad is quickly getting the hang of it.
There are funny stories through out the book. An easy and humorous read. There are laugh out loud moments too.
Their little girl named her cat Mary, Mot
Kerry
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to laugh at the timing this book. Drew and I just spent a Sunday putting in a horse pasture, when quite clearly he would have liked to be doing something else, like getting camp ready for hunting season! (Who can blame him after spending the entire summer putting up a high tunnel!) At the end of the night, he says to me, "I complain, but you know I love every minute of it!" Lol. Drew could have written this book! Growing up without animals, except maybe a small dog, he is/was definitely a ...more
Dennis Rutzou
This is a delightful holiday read about an IT bloke who meets a girl who loves horses and animals and in the course of the book he is converted to become a dedicated farmer. Essentially it is series of anecdotes as he learns to cope with the vagaries of the seasons and the behaviour and personalities of horses, dogs and cats. A happy family, friendly read that leaves you with a smile on your face.
Susan
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun story. This is a memoir of boy meets girl, boy and girl marry, girl has babies. But, what happens in between--girl loves everything boy doesn't but ooooh those blue eyes--Brad would do anything for Nancy. How many men would give up their city life and buy a farm for the love of his life and then-----she just can't say no to animals and kids in need, oh yeah, and adults also. Brad takes us thru the many trials of working a full time job and becoming a farmer/caregiver of animals. Brad ...more
Missy Ivey
I really wanted to love this book. The title, the cover page and the subject matter are all right up my alley. But, the author's interesting story just didn’t capture the humor that I know was supposed to be there. I felt like it was just a journal about another city guy who meets up with a country girl, and from there keeps a journal of their transitioning mishaps from city life to farm life in rural Virginia. Unfortunately, about halfway through the book, I started counting pages to the end.
Shirley Whitecotton
Charming

Anyone who loves animals, has a sense of humor and appreciates a good, clean book (plenty of mud though) will love this book!
Donna Marino
Ruth Dresher-Brown
I really enjoyed this book. As Brad learns about country life vs city life, becomes aware of animal awareness and personalities, as well as the other farm critters it brings big smiles. His desire to have the best life for Nancy and his daughters and ultimate decision making process raised my spirits that he had become fully aware. Nancy reads as a great Mom, the daughters and other young people in their lives all benefited greatly by her way of seeing life and sharing the love and caring, and r ...more
Debra Hahn
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reluntant farmer's life

This is a must read. What an incridable journey through life's
ups and downs. Family life, where horses, dogs, cats and cattle,
help teach life lessons in compassion, love, mercy, and trust,
between humans and the animal kingdom. To have courage to
pick up ones self when disaster strikes and continue to pick up
the pieces and keep moving on to ones love and dreams till they come true.
Pick this book up today and read it. When you do you can't put it down
till it's done.

Ann Balaban
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story!

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It is appropriate for any age level. I can't believe anyone could have a life like this family did. The antics their animals got up to were hilarious! I laughed out loud at some of them. If you love animals and a heart warming story, read this book!👍 👍 👍
Christine Carr
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun read. I could almost envision (and smell) the farm! I loved the sweet, crazy life of this family and I couldn't stop laughing at the 'green fuzzy slipper' episode. Bradford Smith's love for his family and friends (furry, as well as human) shines through the story and makes the reader part of this wonderful story.
margie jameson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great time to spend...

reading this book. I loved it. Never a dull moment. Every chapter is exciting with a proper mixture of humor and retrospect of life on a farm. The couple in this book were personable and very likeable. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the challenges city folk have with farm life.
Michelle
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book that you can relate to it you ever lived or worked on a horse farm

Yes I agree with the authors all animals do have their own unique personality just have to live watch and learn them i laughed i cried all in all a great read and thanks for the epilogue that really helped complete the book
Harnest
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Enjoyed this book. Awesome. I was laughing the whole time while reading this story although I am sure at the time the antics of the animals were frustrating. But all the love comes shining through and that is what life is about. A balance between work and family.
Diane
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This humorous account of Brad Smith's marriage to horse-loving Nancy is the perfect reading fare for a hot summer day. He grows to love his life in the Virginia countryside as they find themselves raising their 2 daughters along with 3 dogs, several cats, and a rotating number of horses.
RG
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

A wonderfully written book about the joys and headaches of ending up on a small ranch/farm. Easy and entertaining read. You become a part of their crazy adventures and intelligence of animals.
KAY ANDERSON
A delightful read!

A true testament to the enrichment of our lives through our connection to and the wonders of animals and kids.

The author captures and does not shy away from all the emotions, challenges, and growth of our lives
Leann
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

Stumbled on this book, found myself with a grin on my face, the entire time I read. Easy enjoyable read
Susan Riggs
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As

A ranch raised genuine hick it was fun to read about the reluctant transition from city to country. Well written.
Jenny
45% in and I hit a hard stop for me. Didn't finish it.
Coleen Johnson
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

This story showed a family's struggles and success at learning how to work together to create a wonderful farm life. I smiled and grieved along with them. A sweet story.
Margaret Slusser
Very enjoyable read

Great short easy read, made me smile several times during the read. I’d recommend for a great light reading book.
John
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for some laughs. I liked the style. Written by an engineer there were not a lot of fluffy-puffy words and descriptions. Just a very straightforward description of events.
Beth Gosser
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Very humerous

I loved the humor and honesty in this book. This man loves his wife and children and adopts all kinds of furry friends to keep them all happy.
Carrie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What will a man do for love? Buy a farm of course and learn to care for horses and dogs and other animals and discover that despite everything he loves the rural life.
Rhonda Duncan
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read by anyone in need some laughs (lots of them), a little heart string pull and insight into a beautiful world. I love true stories and this is one of the best.
Melissa Powell Carver
Wonderful light reading

This was a great book. I enjoyed getting to know the people and animals. I love the follow up at the end of the book.
Karen
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book - it was funny and light reading and just what I needed. I recommend it to anyone who has a farm, especially with horses.
Carrie L. Allen
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whimsical!

This is a fun book to read especially if you like animals! The slow transformation from afraid of animals to a trusting lover of animals is amazing and a great story!

• Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds
  • Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds 2: Still Living the Dream in Rural Ireland
  • Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds 3: More living 'The Dream' in Rural Ireland
  • Adventures of the Horse Doctor's Husband
  • If Clouds Were Sheep: A tale of sheep farming in the Cotswolds
  • Cute Poodles, Sweet Old Ladies and Hugs: Veterinary Tales
  • Animals Don't Blush
  • Two Old Fools in Turmoil
  • Practice Makes Perfect (Edward Vernon's Practice series Book 1)
  • Two Old Fools Down Under
  • Stay Away from my ER and other fun bits of wisdom: Wobbling between humor and heartbreak
  • Tending Critters in the Ridges
  • Two Old Fools on a Camel: From Spain to Bahrain and Back Again (Old Fools, #3)
  • In Foreign Fields: How Not To Move To France
  • Once Bitten
  • Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools: Tuck into a Slice of Andalucían Life (Old Fools, #1)
  • An Olive Grove at the Edge of the World: How two American city boys built a new life in rural New Zealand
  • Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Old Fools, #4)