Start by marking “Granted” as Want to Read:
Granted

Granted

The existence of genies may be the best kept secret in the history of the world.

After being trapped in the Sahara Desert her whole life, sixteen-year-old genie Brielle finally gets her first assignment in Tri-Cities, Washington. She eagerly heads out into the human world to grant her first wish so she can gain her magic. Unfortunately, her assigned human, Addie, gave up be
Published June 30th 2016 by Future House Publishing

Anna Maria
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, well written with a nice plot! I loved reading it loud to my daughter and she loved it too. Sometimes she even read it loud to me! I am looking forward to reading more stories by Michelle Merrill.
I highly recommend this book, especially to parents if they are looking for something fun to read to their children.
Michelle Merrill
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
You guys!!! I had so much fun writing this book. I love the world, the characters, the plot, everything came together in an adventure of intrigue and mystery. Of course there's some romance because life's more fun with a little lovin' but if you're looking for another spin on genies that's different and modern, this is it! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together!
Melanie Stanford
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was fun, with jump-off-the-page characters, a compelling mystery, and a hint of romance. But I loved Brielle best of all. She's my favorite type of female MC- smart, strong, but also sometimes vulnerable. An excellent YA read!
Crystal Collier
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was definitely a clean read, and a fun, light story. I wanted a little more depth in the home atmosphere of the genies, and didn't fully connect with the main character, but I did very much like the side characters. There was a riddle, tension, a touch of suspense, and the sweet romance that no YA book is complete without. This is a recommended read for YA readers.
Ashley Martin
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow!

This was an enjoyable read that tugged on your heartstrings. I absolutely loved the fact that it centers around genies and i hope the next book will give more background information.
Jolie
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before I start this review, I want to thank Future House Publishing for allowing me to review Granted.

**All opinions stated in this review are mine. I received Granted from Future House Publishing as an ARC for my honest and unbiased review **

Now, onto my review:

Format read in: Kindle

Publisher: Future House Publishing

Date Published: June 30th 2016

Where the book can be found: Amazon (Kindle). For a limited time (June 30th through July 7th), Granted will be $2.99 (discounted from the regular price
Jina Perry
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just want to thank futurehousepublishing for allowing me to review Granted. **All opinions stated in this review are my own. I received Granted from Future House Publishing as an ARC for my honest opinion of the book.

The book can be found on Amazon (Kindle) on sale for $2.99 as of right now.

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

Giveaway: Head over to Goodyear to win a physical copies of the book!!! It ends July 30th!! So Hurry! https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

After being trapped in the Sahara De
Lora Palmer
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of receiving an ARC of GRANTED from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Brielle is a genie who longs to come into her magic, which can't happen until her first assignment makes a wish. Unfortunately for her, Brielle's assignment takes longer than she'd like to materialize, and when she does, the girl she's assigned to, Addie, isn't the wishing type. As if adjusting to mundane life in high school--classes, making friends, a little romance--and drawing a wish out of
Carol Riggs
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This is a fun, light read that involves a snappy and often snarky genie named Brielle. She has definite goals: to get her first assignment, to gain her powers, and to use her magic to get herself a Lamborghini. The lamps that draw the genies into servitude in this novel are amusing!—(unlike the cover) they are actual table lamps, rather than old-fashioned oil lamps a la Disney’s Aladdin. A very cool twist.

When lamps start breaking and genies begin crumbling into piles of ash, Brielle must solve
Dachelle
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens, teens, young adults
Shelves: young-adult
I'm giving this book a thumbs up. I enjoyed it. So much so, that I finished it in a day. Ok, so I was at the beach, and I was lounging, but still that's an amazing feat when you have three kids (even if they were distracted by sand and cousins). The story line is interesting enough to keep you flipping to the next chapter, even if you are risking sun poisoning in your beach chair. The mystery keeps you engaged while the underlying romance pulls you in for future books. The main character, Briell ...more
Tamara
4.5 stars. There are a few questions I have, explained below.

Granted was a fun book to read, and it went pretty quickly. There are a lot of genie books out right now, but this is the first one I've read. I think Merrill successfully brought some unique ideas to what I would typically associate with genies. For example, rather than a lamp holder receiving three distinct wishes, a genie is assigned to that person for three weeks, inconspicuously granting wishes the person makes.

The story itself wa
Cassandra VanSyckle
Granted is a delightful book that reminds us that what we wish for may not always be what we get. The young heroin Brielle finally gets her wish to become a Genie, only to discover it's not exactly what she imagined it would be. Instead of love, hope and joy, she encounters hate, sorry and even murder. This book will enchant you as each new chapter introduces new characters and circumstances she must deal with. All while she comes to terms that granting wishes and getting your wish can come with ...more
Tiffany
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to put "Granted" down once I started reading. It was compelling, funny, and such an interesting premise. The writing is excellent and the Author created characters that were engaging and clever. My daughters 12 and 13 read the book as well and said it is there new favorite book behind Michelle Merrill's other book "Changing Fate." I would recommend "Granted" very highly. I received a copy of Granted from Future House Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
Shaille
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read, I really enjoyed it! It has a fresh, new spin on the idea of genies and wishes. The plot and characters are cohesive and it has a good pace throughout the book. Although the ending did sneak up on me a bit - I was expecting/hoping for a little more resolution. But that just means I look forward to the next one!

*I received an advanced reader copy of Granted from Future House Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
Adi
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! I'm in my mid twenties, and although this book is written more for teenagers I still found it very entertaining. Each chapter ended in such a way that it made me want to keep reading to find out what happened next! I highly recommend this to any teenager or young adult if they are looking for something fun to read.
Heather Taysom
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Granted. It was creative and well-written. It was a fresh topic.
Joslin Sod
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I was so glad to find something clean I could see myself reading to my children. I think it takes more intelligence to write without crude remarks or profanity. Thank you for going against the norm! Something I look for in books is good character development and an enticing story line. I can say Granted had both. Sometimes characters are too shallow in YA. I like how Brielle struggled when she finally got her first wish. Things were as great as she'd always imagin ...more
Matthew
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carol Edholm
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Are you a Genie?

Have you ever wondered what it is like to be a Genie? Wonder no more. This light-hearted story gives us the rules, hopes, and dangers of being a genie. I couldn't tear myself away from this book by a new author (for me), loved every minute. Is there a second book? Can't wait if there is!
Patricia Gulley
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting premise but not at all what I expected. Young adult with all the nonsense of teenagers disrupting what could have been an interesting mystery.
Alice
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun, quick read! Plenty of suspense, and just enough romance to keep you reading without getting uncomfortable. The ending was not what I expected. Pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping for another one!!!
Dina
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I was given an ARC copy of the book for my competley honest review for free!

To start this review off I didn’t appreciate Brielle’s character at the beginning and perhaps almost the whole book until the very end. She did a lot of complaining and whining about how desperately she wanted to leave her hometown. Thankfully, she has some redeeming qualities, more so when she is dealing with Addie and trying to get her to make wishes. There is a lot of character growth in Brielle which I appreciate. F
Omoni Williams

Who knew Genies had their own city that they lived in, that they had families or that making children was even in the realm of possibilities for them? I surely wasn't aware of any of this until I dived into this book and leaped into the adventure with the protagonist of this story, Brielle.

Brielle is a genie who has longed to go on assignment all her life. She went to school like the other genies and was well prepared to go on her first wishing job if you will. She was itching to go but there wa
Valerie Waters
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Drew
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Granted is a wonderful story told through the eyes of a twelve-year-old genie, Brielle. It begins with her experience with being assigned a lamp. A Rite of passage for young genies. To her dismay, the lamp is in storage, and she must wait for someone to rub the lamp to gain her magic, and begin her time granting wishes.
Jump ahead four years, and she still hasn’t been summoned, and she is beginning to lose hope that she will ever gain her magic. Until finally, she is summoned on her birthday. T
Jina Perry
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The book can be found on Amazon (Kindle) on sale for $2.99 as of right now.

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

After being trapped in the Sahara Des
HotChocolate.and.Books
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that Brielle was kind of annoying at the beginning, acting like a spoiled brat even if I can understand how the perspective of being locked down without anyone could be quite... boring and painful. She liked complaining and playing the victim. But then, I grew fond of her when she actually takes matter into her own hands when no one really wishes to find the genies murderer (which confused me a little bit. Genies are killed and the others are just like "whatever").

The first chara
Carole Hayes
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a sci-fi/fantasy addict, but somehow this is my first genie story, and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot!

Until this book, my only experience with genies had been I Dream of Jeannie, Aladdin, and the occasional short story that popped up in anthologies. Of course, based on those, I had certain ideas as to how the whole genie thing worked—at least on the human side of things—and was pleasantly surprised to find things slightly different in this world (but still close enough that I
Judy Perry
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where do genies come from? Well they live with the families in, where else, the Sahara Desert. That is, until they get summoned by the person who has their lamp.

Genies aren’t born with their magic – they get it after the person they are assigned to, makes their wish. Brielle has been assigned to Addie, but Addie isn’t the type of person to make wishes. So Brielle has to live in the mortal world, waiting impatiently for Addie to make her wish.

While waiting, Brielle learns that the mortal world is
Neesha Brown
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of GRANTED from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Brielle is a genie who has been stuck in her magical town for far too long. She wants for someone to rub her lamp so she can finally make a wish and come into her magic, Unfortunately for her, Brielle's first assignment, was Addie, who gave up on wishing long ago after she tried to wish her parents back into her life. If this wasn't enough for poor Brielle, she soon finds that genies are dying whi

• The Dream Engine
  • Forecast
  • The Demons We See (The Dark Abyss Of Our Sins, #1)
  • Madness (Shadow-Keepers, #1)
  • Dorianna
  • Burning Shadows (Order of the Krigers, #2)
  • Fire Lines
  • Undead (Cursed Superheroes, #3)
  • Rhodi's Light (The Rhodi Saga, #1)
  • Wings Unseen
  • First Contact (Haunts For Sale #1)
  • Black Heart, Red Ruby (Wicked Jewel #1)
  • Rise of the Sparrows (The Relics of Ar'Zac #1)
  • Already Dead
  • Seasons of Sorcery: A Fantasy Anthology
  • Possess (Mary Hades #2)
  • The Fractured Road - Part 1: East and West
  • A Little Mermaid: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales #5)
Michelle Merrill loves kissing her hubby, snuggling her kids, eating candy, reading books, and writing first drafts. She names her computers after favorite fictional characters and fictional characters after favorite names.
“He used the rest of his magic to save my life.” 0 likes
“My biggest dream was to leave and he'd crushed it by telling me that it wasn't all that great.” 0 likes