Start by marking “Death al Dente (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 4)” as Want to Read:
Death al Dente (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 4)

Death al Dente (Gourmet Detective #4)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
While in Bologna, the Gourmet Detective discovers food and passion are two Italian delicacies to die for...

Dispatched by London's premier restauranteur to find the ultimate Italian chef, the Gourmet Detective heads for Italy undercover. Accompanied by a seductive guide, he sets out to savor the delicacies-- and plumb the secrets-- of the three top contenders. But while sam
Published March 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Death al Dente, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death al Dente

Linda
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice cozy mystery, easy to read, and focusing on Italian cuisine.
Dan
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, hmm... I've read the whole series now. I'm not going to do individual book reviews, some of them are better than others, but they're all enjoyable, quick reads. Then again, throw gourmet food and wine into anything and I'm likely to add some points to it in my mind. Bizarrely, though, given that I gave all the books three stars, I don't know that I recommend them. Had they been written fifty years ago, I'd give them some more slack, but here are my issues with, well, all of them:

The gourme
Jeannine Stewart
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
First, do not read this book if you are hungry or on Weight Watchers, as I am. I think it took me so long to read because I had to keep putting it down to maintain willpower. The plot evolves around The Gourmet Detective who is hired to go to Italy to find an Italian chef for a London actor and restaurant owner for his new restaurant. I started reading this book because I love to cook and I love mysteries, however, every meal and snack is described in tremendous detail including every wine in th ...more
Johnice
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like the TV version much better. at least they have no milking bison stampedes.
Allan
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Rogue Reader
Not sure why I enjoy these pedantic cozies by Peter King, but I do. There's always something unusual, and in Death al Dente, the Gourmet Detective is off to Bologna to determine which of three chefs will be most suited to a new London restaurant. Wonderful treatment of regional Italian cuisines and wines, the personalities of chefs and their restaurants and Italian women too.

--Ashland Mystery

Marcella
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Gourmet Detective is absolutely one of my favorite mystery series and this particular book certainly did not disappoint. What could be better than reading about delicious Italian dishes while traveling through Bologna, Italy, with the Gourmet Detective on his search for the best Italian chef. The book did present an ending twist on who done it after providing much incriminating evidence that could have convicted many of the characters.
Mary Corso
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read this one on the plane to Italy ... and then passed it on to everyone I was traveling with. I liked it much better than did my sisters. I have read a few of his books and think this one is my favorite so far.
Desiree
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
a "tasty" read, mainly because of the descriptions of Italian meals and wines, while the plot was far-fetched and flimsy to say the least. I read it mainly because I go to Bologna in a couple of weeks. well, an extra star for the food descriptions.
Alex
Nov 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
So boring, I could not finish.
Chris George
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fast read. One of 'the Gourmet Detective' series. Set in Bologna, Italy. Any foodie will love this book!
Margaret
A light, entertaining mystery full of descriptions of Italian dishes and wines - made me think that I would really enjoy a culinary tour of Italy some day!
Richard
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun, light read. It's a "culinary mystery". Do not read while hungry!!!
Karen
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the descriptions of the food in Italy and even the wines. Since I will be visiting there this summer, I considered it research for my upcoming trip!
Mike
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
A nice romp through Bologna and Italian wines and foods.
Lynn Demsky
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ok, but really not that entertaining.
Marian Mertes
Aug 22, 2008
Janice
Aug 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Cook in Time (Angie Amalfi, #7)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Goody Goody Gunshots (A Candy Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • Three-Course Murder (A Culinary Mystery with Recipes)
  • Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Death by Rhubarb (Heaven Lee, #1)
Peter King (b. 1922) is an English author of mystery fiction, a Cordon Bleu–trained chef, and a retired metallurgist. He has operated a tungsten mine, overseen the establishment of South America’s first steel processing plant, and prospected for minerals around the globe. His work carried him from continent to continent before he finally settled in Florida, where he led the design team for the roc ...more
More about Peter King...

Gourmet Detective (8 books)
  • The Gourmet Detective (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 1)
  • Spiced to Death (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 2)
  • Dying on the Vine (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 3)
  • A Healthy Place to Die (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 5)
  • Eat, Drink, and be Buried (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 6)
  • Roux the Day (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 7)
  • Dine and Die on the Danube Express (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 8)