Start by marking “Don't Sell Me, Tell Me: How to use storytelling to connect with the hearts and wallets of a hungry audience” as Want to Read:

Do you want to stand out from a sea of competitors, and not just sound like everyone else? Do you want to attract more profitable customers – automatically?
Are you struggling to create a memorable marketing message? Or are you tired of being the 'best kept secret' in your market?

Business owners and entrepreneurs - you need to read Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me - as soon as possib
Published June 13th 2016 by Crossbow Studio

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sell Me, Tell Me, please sign up.
Matthew Wouldn't exactly say that it is 'new'. I would say it is an accepted and revered method. Though it has been around for a long time there is a cyclic…moreWouldn't exactly say that it is 'new'. I would say it is an accepted and revered method. Though it has been around for a long time there is a cyclic nature to everything having to do with human psychology, linguistics, behavior. I think as media changes there are new entries into the marketplace. For example: to create a story, put in on video,and expose it to millions if not billions of people from essentially an everyday device - would have been considered science fiction to people in my generation. This works because the storytelling form is as old as time.(less)

Stjepan Cobets
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help-books
My rating 5.0

The Book “Don't Sell Me, Tell Me: How to use storytelling to connect with the hearts and wallets of a hungry audience” by Greg Koorhan is a book with a lot of good advice for small and large businesses who want to find the right path and advertise their products. As an independent writer I always need good advice and thinking about promoting my books (sincerely in a promotion I'm not really the best). The writer to us with good advice comparing with movies and books shows the way we
Gregory Diehl
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Storytelling is a frequently overlooked aspect to good salesmanship, or heck, even just good communication in general. As human beings, we are hardwired to interpret information through narrative filters, and this is especially important in the world of business where thousand-dollar sales hinge upon getting someone to see the value you claim about the product you are representing. Read Don't Sell Me, Tell Me and you will learn this invaluable approach to sales and marketing.
J. Dorner
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-on-writing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
(I'm not sure why I was contacted and asked to do this, other than having landed on an email list.)

The writing is fine. The grammar, punctuation and such are fine.
In fact...
"The king died and then the queen died is a story. The king died, and then queen died of grief is a plot."
That is written as well in this book as it was in E. M. Forster's "Aspects of the Novel."

I did not download the additional workbook offered at the ope
Karren Hodgkins
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I started this book rather excited. As a brand strategist I have already bought into the importance and power of storytelling so was approaching the book from two perspectives:
How easy would it be for a prospect, someone who is not a marketing person, to read and apply the insights?
Would the content add tools to my toolbox?

My experience of the book was that I certainly nodded a great deal, there was an affirmation of many of the concepts I already knew and applied, it was easy to follow. About h
Venky Iyer
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did not buy this book. I asked for and was given an advance review copy of this book by the author, with whom I had no prior understandings of any nature whatsoever. Now, as I write this review, my relationship with the author is confined to my commitment to read and review the book. Other than getting the book free to enable my review, I have not been offered or asked for any inducement or consideration whatsoever.

I found this book hard to categorize in terms of whether it targeted readers fr
J.L. Callison
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Don't Sell Me, Tell Me directly from the author in hopes of an honest review.

I found Mr. Koorhan's presentation a fresh look at our marketing and advertising conundrum of how to reach our customer and how we can know if the message actually reaches past their eyes and ears to lodge deeply enough within the brain to make a difference in their purchasing decisions. Having run advertising campaigns with widely varying results in the past, though we spent good money on "experts"
Scott Allan
Don't sell me, tell me is an essential book for mastering the art of storytelling in such a way that you aren't trying to deceive, lie or manipulate but, to deliver your message that captures people's emotions. Finally there is a book that is focused on the strength of the relationship as the company’s primary objective. Have you ever been approached by a salesperson and was turned off by their salesman approach? Or you tried to convey your feelings about a certain product but you were being ign ...more
Matthew
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a long review because I loved this book. This is a great reference book for business writers, consultants, and business owners. It has the importance of Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces", and the practicality Strunk's "Elements of Style." It is deceptive in its brevity but that economy is its brilliance and value. The personal journey we all have - things like having gone into recovery, filing bankruptcy, death of a loved one - all take an emotional toll on us. As human ...more
Harley
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a book on the basics of storytelling in business, this book may be the place to start. If you are looking for an advanced book on storytelling, I recommend you look elsewhere. My concerns with the book begins with the title itself. I have always heard the phrase to be: Don't tell me, show me. Sales people need to do more then tell customers about their product. They need to demonstrate the value of their product through stories.

Storytelling has been around as long as the
Teddi Deppner
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Story branding is trending these days, and for good reason. People respond to stories on an emotional level. Emotions create memories. When you tell a good story, people remember you. It's good for business.

Greg Koorhan's book covers all the basics of this essential marketing concept. He includes examples of the types of story structures and themes you could use, helps you self-identify your personality type, so you can consider your own life and business to find the elements that work best for
Jon Molnar
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW TITLE: This Author Walks the Talk

The description for this book is quite accurate. The author delivers on what he says is in this book, but without any fluff. His use of examples are only used to ensure the reader's understanding of the concept that he is discussing. Based on my training and experience, I agree completely with making the customer the focus of your marketing plan. We cannot control others. We can only control ourselves.

This book explains that we need to uncover and identify
CAROL L
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a little book with big (and good) advice, however…..

The essential message is, don’t sell me, TELL me, by using storytelling.

I agree with this totally and yet the author has not taken his own advice. Throughout the book, I found myself hungry for examples of the points he was making.

For example: As he was discussing the types of stories one can use: The company/brand story, the personal story, the product history, the customer story, the employee story, and the case study, I was searching
Bob Maverick
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the focus of this book about the importance of storytelling to build a brand for any business. Greg Koorhan is a talented author, and after watching one of his videos, I'm surprised he isn't a video voice over talent too. I was so engrossed in this subject and his conversational like writing technique, read this book in just one setting.

It seems that the vast majority of new books on marketing, and branding cover the same regurgitated materials, with new information a rarety
Gary Moreau
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
We live through our stories. We create them and they define us. For our stories reflect who we are and what we value. We are part of the audience. We are both creator and consumer.

Greg obviously knows a lot about stories and how to tell them. And the story of this book is why they’re important, how to craft them, and how to tell them.

Two things struck me about this book. The first is that Greg spends time defining the universal parts of a story that have been identified and clarified through co
Bob Selden
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
“Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me” Greg Koorhan

When I read the description of “Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me” I got excited, as storytelling is such a powerful way of communicating. I was very much looking forward to reading this book, and finding perhaps a new twist or a few new tips or tricks on this ancient, yet highly effective method.

Unfortunately I was disappointed. Not with the content - as I agree with most everything Koorhan has to say on the art and how to go about it.

The problem for me, was there wer
J.D. Lovil
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading a copy of this book that I received in exchange for an honest review, and it did not disappoint. The subject of the book is using story elements in the branding and marketing of your business, no matter what your business produces.
We all know the problems we have in turning window shoppers into customers. We can be the most creative writers in the world, but it does us no good, if the window shoppers are not enticed into opening the book, or taking the appliance home to u
Mark Ellins
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strong and straightforward single message

In the spirit of this book, I will start this review with a story. I have a friend who was in the process of being hired for a job where he had to go through many grueling interviews. He made it to the last stage and it was between him and another person. For the last stage, he was to be interviewed by the CEO, so he consulted with me what should be his strategy. I told him that CEOs are very busy, and their time is precious to them. It would not make sen
Michael Helms
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Aah, storytelling. Who doesn't love a well-crafted story? Yuval Noah Harari makes a compelling argument in his book "Sapiens" (another five-star read) that humans have been hired wired to crave stories for millennia, which makes it something of a mystery why this basic aspect of business development escapes so many.

Greg's book "Don't Sell Me, Tell Me" fills in this gap nicely. Greg notes aptly that *everyone* has a brand, and that it really is your reputation. The list of benefits of crafting on
Rich Thornton
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So many things to like about this book. It's short. Interesting. Helpful. The book resonates with what I feel about "telling" not "selling" in a thoughtful, practical, thorough, and non-exploitative way. Storytelling is a lost art in too much promotion and marketing and it is strange that we find that to be the case. Because all we need to remember is the last "commercial" we saw that touched our hearts with a compelling story and became memorable in checking out what they were promoting.

Stories
Steve Goldstein
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a filmmaker and writer for over 30 years, Greg Koorhan knows how to tell a good story. In this how-to book, Don't Sell Me, Tell Me, he lays out a simple and effective way for business owners and sales professionals to use the art of story telling to differentiate themselves and their businesses from the pack of spin selling competitors who all believe they are unique (and they probably are) but don't do an effective job of standing out from the crowd.

In just 120 pages, plus a helpful workbook
Stephanie Hammond
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

As a writer, the topic of this book appealed to me. I enjoyed it immensely, from a business point of view, and from the perspective of how to merge your stories into a compelling message you have to deliver.

The author makes the bold claim that his message 'applies if you’re a small business or a consultant. If you’re a local business. If you’re an author or a speaker. If you’re a musician, a filmmaker or an artist.' A claim that I totally believe you will find if you apply the techniques outline
Ana
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: business owners and entrepreneurs
Shelves: arc
We all know that people love stories, from childhood to old age. It’s the best way to communicate values, deliver messages and become memorable. Nothing is so compelling like a good story. It connects straight to people’s subconscious and emotions.

This book teaches how to apply the fundamentals of storytelling to your business so that you can make an emotional connection with your audience. It’s perfect for business owners and entrepreneurs who want to improve their branding and marketing strate
Konstantin Boyandin
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being an author myself, I often read books dedicated to story creation process. I create stories, I live in stories; stories is what our world is woven out of. Yet using stories as part of business process was something new to me.

You will easily find dozens of books related to making stories. Most of them, however, teach you how to write a story that can be sold. This book teaches how to write a story to establish trust.

The structure of stories, plots and every recipe from Greg's book weren't th
JoAnn Rolle
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was asked by the author to review the book and was sent an advanced copy. Even though I have a stack of books to read including both Joseph Campbell’s, The Hero with a Thousand Faces and W. Chan Kim’s new Blue Ocean Shift Beyond Competing -- I chose to read this book, “Don’t Sell me tell me. first” . It is an easy and quick read. What I enjoyed was the theme that everyone, including entrepreneurs, have a story to tell; the trick is to target your audience and make the story compelling. My favo ...more
Judith Ann Kohnen
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a promotional offer with several other “expert” author books on the subject of marketing and it is the one book that drew me in most to read first; it felt unique from the start and compelled me to keep reading the pages. Greg’s words of advice came through not only intelligently helpful, but truly authentic. The book was transformative and powerfully meaningful. I felt emotionally connected on several levels. Knowing little about this author, it’s obvious in his “storyte ...more
Scott
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Don't Sell Me, Tell Me" provides a simple and clear guide for crafting and telling your story...that is your companies story, your business story or your personal story.

The principles outlined in this book are easy to understand and follow, and it did not take very long to read. A bit more detail (and therefore time) on real-world examples would have made this book even better, as the examples were only introductory glimpses.

Communicating via stories is a powerful tool, that provides the audie
James Baar
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Storytelling and Truth: The Secret Weapons for Selling Anything

This is a timely gem of a marketing book that packs three enlightening guides in one: How spinspeak is rotting our minds and endeavors. How successfully to market products and corporations. And, as a bonus, how to write or portray anything memorable.

Greg Koorhan’s essential method: storytelling. His essential ingredient: the truth.

Koorhan warns that his methodology it isn’t easy to do as it may sound. Lying – conscious and unconsciou
Paul
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent way to use storytelling to sell your business. Unlike many other resources found online, Greg explains the idea behind each kind of storytelling method and why certain ones work very well when marketing a product or service. Besides this book, he also includes a link to a "guidebook" of sorts that helps you organize your ideas into the best way to turn them into compelling stories that will engage the readers, who will most likely become customers in the future.

Easily one of the better
Marian
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stories are the most powerful vehicle for learning and it has been so for all our history, from the caveman to present days. Using stories to sell is natural because it what our brain expects to start learning.
Are you a natural born story teller? I am a very, very good one. Are you? Of course you are!
You just need to give trust to yourself, to let it surface from the ancient memory of your DNA. You may need some structure to use storytelling to sell better and here comes this book.
Did you know t
Richard Schwindt
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Greg Koorhan asked me for an honest review. I had the idea that it would be for a standard issue marketing book. I found something better. To back up a bit, I am a therapist and like most therapists run into my clients on the street from time to time. I see lots of people; I don't always remember their names, but I do remember stories. That is the key to Don't Sell Me, Tell Me. Koorhan takes a close look at marketing through narrative (story); something journalists usually know but marketers, no ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
“But when it comes to telling stories in a marketing context, you generally want to inspire your audience.” 0 likes
“A story can get a customer engaged more that any brochure, listing just features and benefits. A story can literally make someone feel the value of working with you. Stories do what data does not.” 0 likes