Start by marking “Down Among the Dead Men” as Want to Read:
Down Among the Dead Men

Down Among the Dead Men

‘I’m going to do you a favour: I’m going to tell you my name and then I’m going to give you thirty seconds to turn and run. If any of you are still here after those thirty seconds, then we’re going to have a problem.’

Jason Green’s life is changed for good after he is saved from a mugging by crime boss Harry Irwell. From there, he is drawn into Manchester’s underworld, wher
Published June 2nd 2016 by Pan (first published October 22nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Down Among the Dead Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Among the Dead Men

Gary
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few books by this author in the last twelve months and to be honest this was a strange one for me. In one way I couldn't put it down, as I wanted to know what was going to happen next but in another way I didn't feel it lived up to the standard of the previous Kerry Wilkinson books I have read.
Hard to rate as I enjoyed the plot but not necessarily the rest of it so I have played safe giving it a three star rating.
We first meet the main character Jason as a young boy, when he
Ellie
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to thank Kerry Wilkinson, the publisher and Netgalley, for a copy of 'Down among the Dead Men' in exchange for an honest review.
Kerry Wilkinsons DS Jessica Daniels series has been on my reading list for ages, the first one sat on my shelf just waiting to be read. I saw this stand alone novel on Netgalley and figured it was a good place to start before diving into a long series. I'm glad I did.
'Down among the Dead men' kept me interested from page one.
Jason is someone you instantly re
Paul
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Down Among The Dead Men – Stunning Stand Alone Thriller

Kerry Wilkinson is the prolific writer of the Jessica Daniels and Andrew Hunter series set in and around Greater Manchester all of which are excellent crime thrillers. Down Among The Dead Men is the new standalone book from Kerry Wilkinson, which is far grittier than his other thrillers set in the very dark underbelly of Manchester. To some from Manchester this may seem a little tame on what actually happens on the streets, to the read it is
Vicki - I Love Reading
Shelves: read-2015
This book kick's off with a young Jason Green, and life as it is for him. He is rescued from a good kicking by Crime boss, Harry Irwell.
It then fast forwards to Jason now. and the life he is living. He seem's quite an ordinary guy, doesn't like to stand out, doesn't like attention. Despite seeming quite ordinary he is very much playing at being one of the big boy's. Where robbery just seem's as normal as going to work for the day.
We shoot from past to present in this book, which gives you good b
Victoria Goldman
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed Kerry Wilkinson books in the past, so was looking forward to reading another one of his books, expecting yet another brilliant read. And Down Among The Dead Men certainly hit the target for me, although it's very different from his Jessica Daniels series.

You first meet Jason as a young boy. He's escaping from a group of thugs and is rescued by crime boss Harry Irwell. The book then switches between past and present, as you learn more about Jason's background and his current situat
Hans
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a stand-alone story. The characterisation and telling is great. I wonder what became of Jason and Lucy.
Jimbo
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kerry Wilkinson was on my TBR pile for a long time before I finally took the plunge and picked up the first book in his DS Jessica Daniel series, Locked In. I've since read a couple more books from that series and I am really enjoying Kerry's storytelling ability and his brilliant characterisation and hoped that would continue with Down Among the Dead Men. My favourite genre of books are those written by the likes of Martina Cole, Jessie Keane and Kimberley Chambers and that's the vibe I got wit ...more
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
Apart from new additions to his brilliant Jessica Daniel series, from time to time, Kerry Wilkinson comes out with other standalone thrillers. I read 'Watched' a few years back and I really enjoyed that. 'Down among the dead men' is another such standalone book and I was lucky enough to receive an advanced review copy from the author.

Wouldn't it be extraordinary if while you're being battered by a gang of bullies, when everything seems lost, a powerful crime boss comes to your rescue? You wouldn
Jasjit 2022
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of books this year, but I have to say that Down Among the Dead Men has got to have been my favourite of all time. I am quite a picky reader and usually only read books from specific genres, and even though I am fairly new to these kinds of books, I will say I was very pleased with it.

The story starts out as a flashback, where you meet Jason Green. After he is saved from a group of thugs by crime boss Harry Irwell, he is brought into the gloomy, dark side of Manchester; where robberi
Neil Mullins
Not the best book

I have really enjoyed other books by Mr Wilkinson. I finished It but did not enjoy as much as his others. Although I must say I did not see the final ending involving Natalie. Good twist.
Sandra
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it had a good, gritty story and the flashbacks throughout the book, to Jasons earlier life periods, added to the build up.
Donna MacRae
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by this story and what had happened in the main character, Jason's past. I would be interested to read any follow-up.
Mikeh5972
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read! This is the first book I have read by Kerry Wilkinson. I shall certainly read some more.
Bev
Shelves: 2015-read
Down Among The Dead Men – Kerry Wilkinson

I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book as an ARC and first of all thanks go to the author for that one.

Blurb

Breakaway Reviewers
A HAUNTING TALE
Jason Green, neglected by his alcoholic mother and physically abused by the “uncles” who keep joining the dysfunctional family, is fighting for his thirteen-year old life. Five boys are trying to steal his first ever decent birthday present; air cushion trainers. They are chased off by the arrival of Harry Irwell whose name alone is enough to scare off anyone daring to take him on in a fight. He is the kingpin of a huge organisation dealing in drugs, protection money and many othe
Kath
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have to admit to being a bit of a fan of this author's Jessica Daniel series of books so I was quite interested to see what Mr Wilkinson could do with a stand alone.
Jason was "rescued" from a beating he was being subjected to by a gang of bullies who were after his trainers. I use the word rescued in quotes as the rescuer turns out to be crime boss Harry Irwell. Fatherless Jason is soon taken under Harry's wing and starts to do small jobs for him. Jason has his head pretty much screwed on right
Natasha
I was lucky enough to receive an advance review copy of this book.... having read all of Kerry Wilkinsons books so far I was thrilled!

I have given the book 3 stars as, for me, there just felt like something was missing from the story - the story didnt flow as well as Wilkinsons other books. The main character, Jason, is likeable enough and the premise of the plot was well thought out and kept the reader guessing.

**This is where my review gets tricky as dont want to give any spoilers away!** Howe
Nathalie
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you can see on my Goodreads profile, I have read all books by Kerry Wilkinson and have consistently rated them four or five stars for the most, my favourite series being the Jessica Daniel one.

Therefore, it was with high expectations that I sat down with a cup of tea and a couple of biccies to read my review copy of Down Among the Dead Men, Wilkinson's latest stand-alone novel.

First, I need to commend the author for his ability to play around with different styles of writing and settings. Wh
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

This was the first stand alone book I had read by Kerry Wilkinson. Previously I have read some of the Jessica Daniels series, so was aware of the possible quality of the writing. Down Among the Dead Men is a gritty look into Manchester's criminal underworld.

The first chapter introduces us to a young Jason Green who is trying to escape being mugged for his brand new trainers, he takes a bit of a beating and is saved by Harry Irwell, who is a notorious crime boss for the south side of Ma
Shelagh Leonard
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I began to read this book; I’ve read all of the Jessica Daniels series but none of Kerry’s stand alone works. This was quite different in style: much grittier, and making a conscious effort to scratch at the seedier criminal underbelly in the Manchester area.

Jason Green is the central character in the book. We first meet him when he is a child and he is rescued from the neighbourhood bullies by a powerful, and seemingly decent, man: Harry Irwell. It transp
Michelle Wright
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Jason Green is 24 years old and works as a 'courier' for a well known Manchester gangster. Jason first met Harry 11 years previously when he is rescued from a beating at the hands of a group of lads who want to steal his new trainers! Harry takes the young Jason under his wing and teaches him the ropes.

Jason's home life is rubbish - an alcoholic mother and a younger brother who is a liability. We see the story of Jason's life through a series of flashback chapters interspersed throughout the mai
Best Crime Books & More
After finishing this book I am still a little undecided but have gone with a middle of the road rating because I’m still unsure. I have never read any Kerry Wilkinson books but do have a couple of his books in the Jessica Daniels series to get started on. This one was a standalone so I thought it may be a good place to start.

Okay, so why the middle of the road rating? Well essentially the writing was excellent in terms of story flow and getting into the book quickly. What didn’t work for me were
Linzi Moon
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading a review copy of this book. It starts eleven years ago and leads into a riveting tale.

The mugging in a Manchester alley was not an unusual occurrence but the intervention that followed was, and led to Jason’s life being changed irrevocably.
This was not just a matter of getting in with the wrong crowd. His rescuer, Harry Irwell, has a name synonymous organised crime.

I followed the story with a distinct feeling of unease and whilst sympathetic to Jason’s circumstance
Kerry Kelly
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the author I read a review copy of this book.

I am an avid Kerry Wilkinson fan and have read all his Jessica Daniel books. This, however is different, yet still excellent.

Set in Manchester, this book tells the story of Jason, a gangsters 'right hand man' and his dilemmas through the years of his life working for 'the bad guys'. His story is told via flashbacks, as we learn about how he has come to be the man he is today and his fight with where he is now and what he wants from his life.
Keith Skinner
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have followed Kerry Wilkinson's work from the outset and it is very satisfying to see a writer evolve and mature. This has been my opportunity to read and comment on a pre-release copy of Down Among the Dead Men. The story is a gritty tale of life on the 'wrong side of the tracks' for our young hero Jason. The author describes a depressing round of life with a drunken mother, a weak brother, punishment beatings, drugs and internecine gang wars in and around Manchester. Through all this carnage ...more
Alison Anderson
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jason Green would not stand out in a crowd. He is deliberately inconspicuous. He inhabits a shady criminal underworld and he does not want or need to be noticed. But someone has noticed him.
This is the second book by Kerry Wilkinson that I have read and unlike the Jessica Daniel series this is not a whodunit, but more of a psychological thriller. Perhaps I am doing it a disservice trying to categorise it at all because it does not fit neatly into any genre. This is a stand-alone story that will
Donna Maguire
I am a fan of Kerry Wilkinson's books so was delighted when I was given an opportunity by the publishers to read this book in exchange for an honest review. The book is a stand alone and was quite a page turner. The pace is very good and I loved the main character - strong but also very naïve in some respects. The plot was good and I can see this kind of thing actually happening - very good and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book.
Fran Ringland
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Kerry Wilkinson's books and was delighted to get a review copy because it meant I didn't need to wait till publication date to read his new book. I was not disappointed. I started reading it at the airport and got pulled into it so much I did not mind a 3 hour flight delay!
This book is a different style to his previous books but what has not changed is his ability to draw me in, keep me interested with each event then surprise me right at the end leaving me wanting more.
Lesley Halliday
Enjoyed it, but I felt there could have been more of a plot - wasn't really gripping
  • The Beginning After
  • Snapshot (Narey & Winter, #2)
  • Barmy in Wonderland
  • The Osama Bin Laden I Know: An Oral History of Al Qaeda's Leader
  • The Second World War: Milestones to Disaster
  • From There to Here
  • Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al Madinah and Meccah: Volume 1
  • The Memory of Water
  • Sands of Time
  • Josephine : A Life of the Empress
  • Dark Forces (Dan Shepherd, #13)
  • Firefight
  • 88 Days to Kandahar: A CIA Diary
  • The Killing Club (DS Heckenburg, #3)
  • Master and God
  • Ivory Vikings: The Mystery of the Most Famous Chessmen in the World and the Woman Who Made Them
  • Nobody Walks
  • How Dante Can Save Your Life: The Life-Changing Wisdom of History's Greatest Poem
Recent & upcoming releases: