Start by marking “Welcome to the Wallops (The Wallops, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to the Wallops (The Wallops, #1)

Welcome to the Wallops

(The Wallops #1)

The villages of High Wallop and Lesser Wallop have graced either end of the Wallop valley since medieval times. And competition between the two has never ceased since, especially over the famous Cheese and Beer festival.
As head Judge of Show, Jane Swallow has always struggled to keep peace, friendship, and equanimity within the community she loves, but this year everything
ebook, 1st edition, Smashwords, 242 pages
Published June 29th 2016 by Ylva Publishing (first published June 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to the Wallops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to the Wallops

Start your review of Welcome to the Wallops (The Wallops, #1)
Lex Kent
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
With Wendy of the Wallops, coming out soon, I wanted to read this first. While I have been told the books stand alone enough, I wanted to see how Wendy's character was, before I read her book. I'm glad I did, because the person I ended up liking the most in this book, was Wendy.

I'm a McKnight fan. Her book Ambereye, is one of my favorites. I'm disappointed that this book didn't quite feel up to par, with her other books. It still had some of the humor, that McKnight is great at, but I felt the r
Agirlcandream
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh to crawl into the mind of this author.

•names like The Potted Crab, The Winded Whippet

•the nervous wreck of a greyhound Winston and his love of all things leather, valuable and Renata's

•I loved the way she pulls the reader in with an all about Jane Swallow and her wonderful life only to pull back and see how not so wonderful Jane's life has been.

•swing the lens over to Renata and her opening arrogant volleys allowing the author to play with the readers allegiances until it is impossible not
Corrie
There’s a storm brewing on Rectory Row.

I jumped at the chance to read Welcome to the Wallops when it was offered as an ARC. I’ve read the earlier version (published in 2016) twice and now Dirt Road Books is bringing out a revised version. I did notice a few small alterations but no major structural changes as far as I can tell.

I loved it back in 2016 and 4 years later it hasn’t lost any of its sparkle. Jane Swallow finding out who's going to buy the next door cottage on idyllic Rectory Row, is j
Pin
I like Gill McKnight's writing style and her sense of humor. Her newest book was fun with a nice depiction of life in the English countryside. A bunch of nicely done secondary characters only contributed to the whole picture. I especially liked Wendy the blabbermouth. But the main characters, Renata and Jane, and their romance left me dissatisfied. I did not care much for them (especially Jane) and their romantic relationship was rather unconvincing. Therefore, only three stars.

*ARC provided by
Emma
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Recieved an ARC from DRB for an honest review*
Oh Gill - what a book. Loved loved loved it!!!
The Wallops, both High and Lesser remind me of my childhood in Essex, everyone knows each other, they all go to the local pub, the festival on the green is always full of rivalries and laughter and when they end you can't wait for next year's.
Ms McKnight brings you into the story of Jane Swallow from the first page. The humour is dry and oh so completely joyful.
The cast of characters had me either cringe
Tiff
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Silly, witty, zany. All adjectives, yes, but that all could easily describe the cast of characters you meet in Gill McKnight’s’ newest book. Welcome to the Wallops. McKnight is an author who always gives the reader characters that are as amusing as they are interesting. This one is no exception.

Jane Swallow is Lesser Wallops resident do-gooder. Raised by a single father, who is a petty thief and all out drunkard, Jane has spent her life giving back. She is friends with everyone, always offering
lov2laf
Take a small English village, a quirky cast of characters, inject some McKnight humor, shake them up and let them go. This is the recipe for "Welcome to the Wallops".

At the crux of the story is a second chance romance with an enemies-to-lovers angle since Renata and Jane parted on terrible terms. But what really comes through is the personality of the High and Lesser Wallop village, its inhabitants, and the friendships that exist within it.

With McKnight's books, they're often really hit or miss.
Lisa
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Charming Romantic Comedy

Welcome to the Wallops is a charming romance set in a quaint English village. The story is infused with unique British humour and provides an interesting social commentary on the changing way of life in England’s small villages.

When Renata buys a house in Lesser Wallop in Sussex, she’s surprised to find that her neighbour is her ex-girlfriend, Jane. They haven’t seen or heard from each other in the fifteen years since their relationship ended abruptly and badly. Their
Nikki
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
An enjoyable read that is *almost* a great one. Jane lives in Lesser Wallop and has the unfortunate luck of having her ex-girlfriend move in right next door, under the guise of doing a writeup of an upcoming festival. Jane's job is on the line due to seemingly low interest from the locals, her deadbeat father is in town, and this is one more thing she didn't need right now.

This is a lighthearted romp that is missing more time dedicated to the relationship between Jane and Renata. I don't really
Pippa D
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-romances
High Wallop and Lesser Wallop are two small villages in the Wallop valley, 60 miles south of London. Lesser Wallop is known for a Cheese and Beer festival, locally owned shops and a little church over 700 hundred years old.

Jane Swallow is the rector of the local church, but until recently, she was an army chaplain in Iraq, and unbeknownst to anyone in the village, a lesbian before that. The daughter of a ratbag thief and criminal dad, Jane has sorted herself out and found a lovely little pocket
Carol Hutchinson
Love it!

Jane Swallow is typically experiencing all the fun of living in a small community, but when her ex, Renata moves in next door it is most unexpected. Everything is going wrong, and it is a complete nightmare for her so she has to do something. Whilst trying to maintain the peace of her lovely community, Jane is really facing all her fears and wondering just how much her life is going to change now that the person who broke her heart has returned to her life.

This book was the first I've r
Alexis
Sweet, cute and funny but with lots of room for improvement.

Oh oh I think I just ran out of things to say about this book after writing that title. There's just not that much to say about it, there was nothing that really stood out in my opinion. Aside from Wendy of course who's not even a main character in this one. Nevertheless this was an enjoyable read. It had quite a few moments that made me chuckle but as for the main characters the chemistry just felt off. Mainly because it seemed like al
Ameliah Faith
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jane and Renata meet again after many years apart. A lot has changed for the both of them but each carries pain from the past. Can they move beyond it or will they be destined to despise each other forever?

Ms McKnight does a wonderful job of describing the little English town of Wallops and it's people. Jane and Renata are both lovable, each has a unique quality that makes them more interesting and a bit quirky. I loved how Renata was determined to leave Jane alone with her problems but could no
Aj Smith
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the first Gill McKnight book I read and I think the best recommendation I can give is that before I even finished this one I went and got my hands (by which, I of course mean my kindle) on a few more of her books including the follow up to this charming work.

If you're an expecting action-packed thriller, well it starts off with a storm and flooding, there are drugs being grown in old folks' greenhouses and somebody has stolen a car! ...but yeah, other than that most of the drama centre
Sarah Kerry
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is the first one I have read by this author. It was well written and I found it to be an easy read. I definitely enjoyed it enough to read more of her work.

This book is set in a village outside of London called The Wallops. It's a story about Jane and Renata, ex lovers who are thrown back into each other's lives after they parted suddenly many years ago. Jane loves her quiet life and her community more than anything. She is happy with things the way they are and doesn't want anything
Cab
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, fiction
I picked this up based on the reviews of a couple of my friends. I don't know that I would call this a "Romance" it felt more like a well written general fiction that threw a bit of romance into it. Do you know what I loved about this? The language, I really liked that the author did not Americanize the conversations. It made it more fun for me. I'll admit that the main character "Jane" was a little flat for me. I started out liking her and being interested in the character but then she seemed t ...more
Corrie
I had a re-read with my one member bookclub reading buddy D. to introduce her to the Wallops. The second book that centers around PC Wendy is coming out soon so we will be ready for that. I remain with my 4 stars, MC Jane still got on my tits for being so stubborn and mean to Renata ;-)
Just a man's point of view
I loved it.
I think this author is great in portraying characters under the stress of great emotions and kindly mocking them from the outside. This creates a delightful comedy. And yet there’s authenticity in the characters as well as in the small village environment.
Family problems and little town mean individuals add a touch of reality and depth to a story that remains a hymn of simplicity, romance and good feelings.

I read in other reviews that this book is not really a romance. I disagree. May
Angel
I'm a huge sucker for romantic comedies and I must admit that I enjoyed every word of this story because I went on a wild romp through Lesser Wallop with Jane, Renata and Wendy! Besides falling in love with the beautiful descriptions of this lovely English village; I am not ashamed to admit that I fell in love with Jane's resilience and her selfless nature, Renata's frank and unapologetic mannerisms and Wendy's warm, genuine and kindhearted personality. These women aren't perfect and they defini ...more
Amy
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
I found this book highly entertaining. There were many scenes that made me laugh and one scene that made me laugh for quite some time. In fact, I related that scene to my partner and she laughed just as hard. It was quite surprising to tell the truth. I wasn't quite sure I would like the book in the beginning, when the two women had their initial reunion. The vitriol seems insurmountable. The entire reason for the end of their previous relationship centers around Jane and her experiences with he ...more
Cheri
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, romance, humor
This was a quick and enjoyable read. I laughed out loud a few times but mostly I had a good time with the characters. The secondary characters, Wendy in particular, really stole the show for me. I had a tough time caring for or about Jane, which surprised me because I had a good feeling about her in the beginning of the book. But once Renata showed up, I didn't like Jane nearly as much. Renata, on the other hand, I loved.

The humor, the research part of the story, the family bits, and the secon
Lee Winter
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book, especially for the secondary characters, such as Wendy and the scene-stealing greyhound. It's a book that's immersive - less about the primary romance, more about the big picture and whole small-town English village experience. This is one of my top two favourites for 2016. ...more
Karen
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this several years ago but I don’t really remember it. This is good because when I read the new second edition, I didn’t remember much. I did recall some of the funnier scenes when I read them again.

Jane and Renata are exes. They meet again right away in this book during a ferocious storm and flood. They’re at odds for much of the novel, although there are some embers being rekindled. Both do their thing and come in contact regularly, especially after Renata meets Jane’s friends. It seems
Cheyenne Blue
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbtq, pure-fun
This book is an utter delight. I read it over two days when I was home sick from work, and it was the perfect warm and cosy book to read on the couch, snuggled under a fleece blanket, with a mug of something warm.

The set up is perfect: closeted rector has built a new life for herself in a too-good-to-be-true English village. Then it all goes west when her ex-crim father appears, and her ex-girlfriend moves in next door. In the start, the book reminds me of a lesbian version of the TV series "The
Alena
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, fiction
Quick and enjoyable read with lovely secondary characters. Strangely, the two main characters remained somewhat flat.

Towards the end it dragged a bit.

I like McKnight's humor, and that was here in spades.
The Lesbian Book Blog
This book was an absolute delight! The writing is fresh and inventive. The characters are smart and entertaining. The story is rousing, yet enchanting at the same time. It’s a well developed book, start to finish. Quite simply, it’s brilliant.

This story might technically be classified as a second chance romance, but it’s so much more than that. It contains a bit of mystery and intrigue with a whole lot of rom-com thrown into the mix. I liked this story from the the first page. Its descriptive wr
M the avid reader
British village life at its best! (updated for 2nd ed.)
I read the first edition of this book several years ago and loved it all over again this time around. I noticed a few changes to this edition: the book sports a new cover picture, a scene or two are lengthened, and the teaser for the then upcoming sequel (Wendy of the Wallops) is not included; aside from that the story remains the same and delightfully so. My original review is updated here for this second edition:
This is an excellent read!
Anne
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesfic
This is a real fun read and perfect for curling up with a drink of an evening during lockdown. The characters are well drawn, the plot rumbles along with a few diversions, and the writing is descriptive while keeping everything flowing. Ms McKnight works very hard to introduce us to a collaborative cast ranging from the two main leads through the vicars and villagers but beyond Jane and Renata, I loved Wendy and her innocence. The nods to self help books were cleverly done and the small town riv ...more
Petra
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got great enjoyment reading this book. At first I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get into the story, but before I knew it I was immersed in Jane's life!
The quaint English village setting makes you want to visit Lesser Wallop and stay a while. Jane and Renata, Wendy, family, friends and a handful of well developed local characters enhances the storyline and gives the reader a great picture of their village life.
I look forward to the next "Wallops" book by Gill McKnight!
AJ Sneed
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was crazy good. It brought together some unusual character types. I mean its really unusual to have a lesbian character as a religious figure of any kind due to the stigma a lot of religions have with sexual orientations. That said, this was an amazing story that drew you in and addressed a lot of emotional issues that many deal with in their families and the communities around them. I look forward to reading the second installment.

• Hotel Queens
  • Fair Game
  • A Breathless Place
  • Changing the Script
  • Finding Jessica Lambert
  • Cake (Bitterroot Saga #0.5)
  • Heart of Ice
  • One Golden Summer
  • Accidental Honeymoon
  • Reasons to Heal
  • A Heart to Trust
See top shelves…
Gill McKnight is Irish but spends as much time as possible in Lesbos, Greece, which she considers home. She can often be found traveling back and forth between Greece and Ireland in a rusty old camper van with her rusty wee dog. Gill enjoys writing, roses, and by necessity DIY.

The Wallops (2 books)
  • Wendy of the Wallops (The Wallops, #2)

News & Interviews