Start by marking “Welcome to the Wallops (The Wallops, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to the Wallops (The Wallops, #1)

Welcome to the Wallops

(The Wallops #1)

The villages of High Wallop and Lesser Wallop have graced either end of the Wallop valley since medieval times. And competition between the two has never ceased since, especially over the famous Cheese and Beer festival.
As head Judge of Show, Jane Swallow has always struggled to keep peace, friendship, and equanimity within the community she loves, but this year everything
ebook, 1st edition, Smashwords, 242 pages
Published June 29th 2016 by Ylva Publishing (first published June 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to the Wallops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to the Wallops

Lex Kent
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
With Wendy of the Wallops, coming out soon, I wanted to read this first. While I have been told the books stand alone enough, I wanted to see how Wendy's character was, before I read her book. I'm glad I did, because the person I ended up liking the most in this book, was Wendy.

I'm a McKnight fan. Her book Ambereye, is one of my favorites. I'm disappointed that this book didn't quite feel up to par, with her other books. It still had some of the humor, that McKnight is great at, but I felt the r
Agirlcandream
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh to crawl into the mind of this author.

•names like The Potted Crab, The Winded Whippet

•the nervous wreck of a greyhound Winston and his love of all things leather, valuable and Renata's

•I loved the way she pulls the reader in with an all about Jane Swallow and her wonderful life only to pull back and see how not so wonderful Jane's life has been.

•swing the lens over to Renata and her opening arrogant volleys allowing the author to play with the readers allegiances until it is impossible not
Pin
I like Gill McKnight's writing style and her sense of humor. Her newest book was fun with a nice depiction of life in the English countryside. A bunch of nicely done secondary characters only contributed to the whole picture. I especially liked Wendy the blabbermouth. But the main characters, Renata and Jane, and their romance left me dissatisfied. I did not care much for them (especially Jane) and their romantic relationship was rather unconvincing. Therefore, only three stars.

*ARC provided by
Tiff
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Silly, witty, zany. All adjectives, yes, but that all could easily describe the cast of characters you meet in Gill McKnight’s’ newest book. Welcome to the Wallops. McKnight is an author who always gives the reader characters that are as amusing as they are interesting. This one is no exception.

Jane Swallow is Lesser Wallops resident do-gooder. Raised by a single father, who is a petty thief and all out drunkard, Jane has spent her life giving back. She is friends with everyone, always offering
Lisa
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Charming Romantic Comedy

Welcome to the Wallops is a charming romance set in a quaint English village. The story is infused with unique British humour and provides an interesting social commentary on the changing way of life in England’s small villages.

When Renata buys a house in Lesser Wallop in Sussex, she’s surprised to find that her neighbour is her ex-girlfriend, Jane. They haven’t seen or heard from each other in the fifteen years since their relationship ended abruptly and badly. Their
Nikki
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
An enjoyable read that is *almost* a great one. Jane lives in Lesser Wallop and has the unfortunate luck of having her ex-girlfriend move in right next door, under the guise of doing a writeup of an upcoming festival. Jane's job is on the line due to seemingly low interest from the locals, her deadbeat father is in town, and this is one more thing she didn't need right now.

This is a lighthearted romp that is missing more time dedicated to the relationship between Jane and Renata. I don't really
Katie D
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-romances
High Wallop and Lesser Wallop are two small villages in the Wallop valley, 60 miles south of London. Lesser Wallop is known for a Cheese and Beer festival, locally owned shops and a little church over 700 hundred years old.

Jane Swallow is the rector of the local church, but until recently, she was an army chaplain in Iraq, and unbeknownst to anyone in the village, a lesbian before that. The daughter of a ratbag thief and criminal dad, Jane has sorted herself out and found a lovely little pocket
Alexis
Sweet, cute and funny but with lots of room for improvement.

Oh oh I think I just ran out of things to say about this book after writing that title. There's just not that much to say about it, there was nothing that really stood out in my opinion. Aside from Wendy of course who's not even a main character in this one. Nevertheless this was an enjoyable read. It had quite a few moments that made me chuckle but as for the main characters the chemistry just felt off. Mainly because it seemed like al
Ameliah Faith
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jane and Renata meet again after many years apart. A lot has changed for the both of them but each carries pain from the past. Can they move beyond it or will they be destined to despise each other forever?

Ms McKnight does a wonderful job of describing the little English town of Wallops and it's people. Jane and Renata are both lovable, each has a unique quality that makes them more interesting and a bit quirky. I loved how Renata was determined to leave Jane alone with her problems but could no
Aj Smith
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the first Gill McKnight book I read and I think the best recommendation I can give is that before I even finished this one I went and got my hands (by which, I of course mean my kindle) on a few more of her books including the follow up to this charming work.

If you're an expecting action-packed thriller, well it starts off with a storm and flooding, there are drugs being grown in old folks' greenhouses and somebody has stolen a car! ...but yeah, other than that most of the drama centre
Corrie
I had a re-read with my one member bookclub reading buddy D. to introduce her to the Wallops. The second book that centers around PC Wendy is coming out soon so we will be ready for that. I remain with my 4 stars, MC Jane still got on my tits for being so stubborn and mean to Renata ;-)
Sarah Kerry
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is the first one I have read by this author. It was well written and I found it to be an easy read. I definitely enjoyed it enough to read more of her work.

This book is set in a village outside of London called The Wallops. It's a story about Jane and Renata, ex lovers who are thrown back into each other's lives after they parted suddenly many years ago. Jane loves her quiet life and her community more than anything. She is happy with things the way they are and doesn't want anything
Cab
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, fiction
I picked this up based on the reviews of a couple of my friends. I don't know that I would call this a "Romance" it felt more like a well written general fiction that threw a bit of romance into it. Do you know what I loved about this? The language, I really liked that the author did not Americanize the conversations. It made it more fun for me. I'll admit that the main character "Jane" was a little flat for me. I started out liking her and being interested in the character but then she seemed t ...more
Cheri
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, romance, humor
This was a quick and enjoyable read. I laughed out loud a few times but mostly I had a good time with the characters. The secondary characters, Wendy in particular, really stole the show for me. I had a tough time caring for or about Jane, which surprised me because I had a good feeling about her in the beginning of the book. But once Renata showed up, I didn't like Jane nearly as much. Renata, on the other hand, I loved.

The humor, the research part of the story, the family bits, and the second
Just a man's point of view
I loved it.
I think this author is great in portraying characters under the stress of great emotions and kindly mocking them from the outside. This creates a delightful comedy. And yet there’s authenticity in the characters as well as in the small village environment.
Family problems and little town mean individuals add a touch of reality and depth to a story that remains a hymn of simplicity, romance and good feelings.

I read in other reviews that this book is not really a romance. I disagree. May
Amy
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
I found this book highly entertaining. There were many scenes that made me laugh and one scene that made me laugh for quite some time. In fact, I related that scene to my partner and she laughed just as hard. It was quite surprising to tell the truth. I wasn't quite sure I would like the book in the beginning, when the two women had their initial reunion. The vitriol seems insurmountable. The entire reason for the end of their previous relationship centers around Jane and her experiences with he ...more
Lee Winter
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book, especially for the secondary characters, such as Wendy and the scene-stealing greyhound. It's a book that's immersive - less about the primary romance, more about the big picture and whole small-town English village experience. This is one of my top two favourites for 2016.
Alena
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, fiction
Quick and enjoyable read with lovely secondary characters. Strangely, the two main characters remained somewhat flat.

Towards the end it dragged a bit.

I like McKnight's humor, and that was here in spades.
Cheyenne Blue
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pure-fun, glbtq
This book is an utter delight. I read it over two days when I was home sick from work, and it was the perfect warm and cosy book to read on the couch, snuggled under a fleece blanket, with a mug of something warm.

The set up is perfect: closeted rector has built a new life for herself in a too-good-to-be-true English village. Then it all goes west when her ex-crim father appears, and her ex-girlfriend moves in next door. In the start, the book reminds me of a lesbian version of the TV series "The
AJ Sneed
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was crazy good. It brought together some unusual character types. I mean its really unusual to have a lesbian character as a religious figure of any kind due to the stigma a lot of religions have with sexual orientations. That said, this was an amazing story that drew you in and addressed a lot of emotional issues that many deal with in their families and the communities around them. I look forward to reading the second installment.
Petra
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got great enjoyment reading this book. At first I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get into the story, but before I knew it I was immersed in Jane's life!
The quaint English village setting makes you want to visit Lesser Wallop and stay a while. Jane and Renata, Wendy, family, friends and a handful of well developed local characters enhances the storyline and gives the reader a great picture of their village life.
I look forward to the next "Wallops" book by Gill McKnight!
V
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet romance with a rich cast of supporting characters. The romance isn't necessarily the main ingredient in this book. Small town living and bringing this lovely part of England to life is really at the center of the book. It focuses on the love we find in the people we choose to make up our family. I'm looking forward to reading the next in this series.
Carol Hutchinson
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was the first I've read by Gill McKnight, and I loved it. Jane and Renata are an interesting dynamic, and I found both the characters to be unique and intriguing. Wendy, and the other secondary characters help make the story fun, and the humour to balance the reality is refreshing. As for Whistlestop, he just steals the show and is so loveable. This is a great Lest Bean story!
Donna Montague
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
First in the Wallops tales this is a delightful expose on living in a rural community. Where everyone knows (or thinks they know) what you are doing at any hour of the day or night. The primary character in this novel is Rev Jane Swallow. We meet her and her mates in various settings but the collective energy from Jane, Amanda, Wendy and Renata if best felt at Quiz Night in the local pub. The quips fly and quirks are revealed as the quiz team God Only Knows participates in the weekly contest. I ...more
Loek Krancher
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

When the rain just keeps on coming and as the flood waters rise, something totally unexpected happens to Jane. The past comes crashing into the present. Even after so many years, it brings frustration, pain and heartache. Is it now the time to figure out what went so wrong all those years ago? This is not the only problem she has to deal with. The Swallow family, Colin, The Beer and Cheese Festival, the gossip of the valley and a mysterious neighbour cause trouble for Jane. Fortunately
Kitty McIntosh
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love The Wallops. Gill McKnight has managed to dream up a village full of characters I can believe in and want more of. Jill is strong, caring and goes way beyond the call of duty. When her ex Renata turns up she is thrown off kilter and old feelings threaten to change the idyllic life she has made for herself. Their very complicated relationship is only part of what kept me reading till the early hours. I loved Bishop Andrew - he was such a mischievous fun character. He was such a ...more
kerry mcnair
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy from YLVA publishing for an honest review.
Gill McKnight writes some of my favourite books. I love her slightly strange sense of humour, her writing style. The characters are always very real; they have flaws that make them just like you and me.
We have Jane who lives in Lower Wallop, trying her best to be, well just a good person despite having a dubious family in town. Her job isn’t exactly safe and to make matters worse her ex-girlfriend has just turned up in town.
This is a fu
Penelope
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
An honest review thanks to Netgalley. I love Gill McKnight, her paranormal romances especially. This was a good book, there was a lot of ups and downs from the romance perspective, though the beginning hatred that the two characters showed had an underlying passion that was still there. That was why it was so believable of the love that formed between them; it never went away. I was a little annoyed with Wendy, but it was an annoyance that one feels for their younger sibling. This looked like a ...more
FionaH
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun and enjoyable with a lot going on. I enjoyed the village gossip and intrigue more than the romance, which seemed to go from hate to love too quick. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Alena
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gill McKnights humour is back!

Quirky people in small town Britain make a fun read and I am looking forward to any sequels.
Gill McKnight is Irish but spends as much time as possible in Lesbos, Greece, which she considers home. She can often be found traveling back and forth between Greece and Ireland in a rusty old camper van with her rusty wee dog. Gill enjoys writing, roses, and by necessity DIY.

The Wallops (2 books)
  • Wendy of the Wallops (The Wallops, #2)