Start by marking “Hacking Leadership: 10 Ways Great Leaders Inspire Learning That Teachers, Students, and Parents Love (Hack Learning Series Book 5)” as Want to Read:

"The authors do a beautiful job of helping leaders focus inward, instead of outward. This book by Joe and Tony, grounded in the importance of empowered relationships with the entire school community, provides some amazing ideas on how to develop learner-centred schools (learners meaning students and educators) in ways that could be implemented immediately. This is an essen

Published June 15th 2016 by Times 10 Publications

To ask other readers questions about Hacking Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hacking Leadership

Start your review of Hacking Leadership: 10 Ways Great Leaders Inspire Learning That Teachers, Students, and Parents Love (Hack Learning Series Book 5)
Bridget
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this author speak at a conference earlier this year and loved what he had to say. I got it to read for the professional development elements to share with teachers. I love the ideas and tips, but it truly is a book for administrators. I would love my administrators to take the tips and read the book. I think some things are useful and valid for teachers, but it actually made me a bit irritated that I can't change more about the climate in my school. It is also the end of May which I must a ...more
Nicolas Brown
I enjoyed this book! It's not a massive game changer, but it has some solid suggestions for principals (or lead teachers) to apply to their sphere of influence. They reference and suggest social media tools frequently, but overall, I enjoyed the breadth of their content and applicational ideas.
Pernille Ripp
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have been lucky to call Joe Sanfelippo and Tony Sinanis friends for a few years now. I have watched as they have taken their amazing ideas from theirs schools and districts and amplified them into the world. I have seen how their words and through leading by example have helped others become more human in their leadership, more adept at navigating what it means to be a leader for all, and not just some.

So when I was sent a copy of their new book, Hacking Leadership, I knew I wanted to read it.
Tammy
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ideal Leadership

What a perfect educational system we would have if all leaders used these hacks! I can see this is not an overnight process, but it's written in such a way that the suggestions can be followed by many schools. Unfortunately, some of the suggestions would need rewiring to be possible in small rural communities. Still highly recommend, because the mindset can be contagious.
Jessica
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book filled with research and philosophy...better yet it is filled with practical ways to reinvigorate and innovate learning in your school. A must read for all school leaders!
Shana
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great ideas. Every administrator and/or teacher leader should read this book. I can't wait to try some this year.
Charlie
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as educational leadership books go (or leadership books in general, I suppose) this one is super short, but not a page is wasted. I enjoyed the book mightily, though I thought some of the advice suggested was wishful thinking (even though, as this Hacked Education series works, there are “Overcoming Pushback” sections to go with each of the 10 hacks). Also, I thought there was a very heavy tilt on social media usage and promoting student voice and choice - both concepts I’m for, I just di ...more
Tiff
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
I heard Tony speak last fall at a conference and he moved me to tears. Even though I am not a principal or superintendent, I learned a lot reading this book that will help me be a better teacher and also a better mentor and support to those around me. I especially like the sections talking about how to more effectively engage my community and leverage social media to tell my school's stories. If you are looking to inspire yourself, your staff, your students, and/or your community, you should rea ...more
Nate Balcom
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST read for EVERY school leader. Such an amazingly awesome book! A great kickstart for my on a summer of learning how to be a school leader. I've met Joe Sanfelippo and he delivers on all this greatness everyday in his home school district. Sound practical steps are laid out in this book including step-by-step guides and tips for dealing with negative reactions.

I'll repeat myself, a MUST read for EVERY school leader.
Amber Teamann
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
As a school leader, I am interested in what other practitioners have to say about what we do. I don’t have time for an academic novel with out of date or out of practice ideas. Sinansis and SanFelippo do a great job of normalizing what incredible leadership could be...can’t wait to share this read with colleagues and future leads...we need more people who lead like this!
Susan Chambers
The hacks are solid, but what makes this book is hearing Sanfelippo first. Without his passion and sense of humor, much of this is lost. The set up is great: here's what to do, how to do it, and how to deal with the push back that you will get. Maybe it would be better if Sanfelippo read it out loud himself or at least did a video for it. Go, Crickets.
Aileen Swenson
I feel the same about this as I do with most social science books, that most of the information is common sense. They included some nice examples of "hacks" and I did glean some ideas that I plan to use this school year, so overall, a useful text, but thankfully short.
Jamie Leach
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I love the "Hacking" books! So many quick, easy to implement ways to improve your school! Student voice, your school story, relationships, culture building!
William
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I made lots of notes of ideas to follow up on. Overcome a deficit mindset!
Renee Doucette
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reading
I read this for a graduate class. I appreciate the authors' positivity and practicality in making reasonable recommendations to rethink the way we lead schools.
Mark Barnes
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the new audio book version, read beautifully by the award-winning Patrick Lawlor.
Cidney Mayes
Read for Intro to Educational Leadership Spring 2020 class.
Good tips with out of the box strategies for school leaders.
Kevin
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saw the author speak at a conference and downloaded this book before the end of his keynote. Some good, practical advice... some stuff I ignored (either because it didn't apply to my role in the school or I just didn't think it would work in our school community).

A quick read that reignited a bit of my passion for teaching and leading!
KATY WHEELER
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Inspiring!

This book is amazing. So much to take back to school and implement, change and make better. Wonderful advice and resources. Can't wait to read others in the series.
Mleander23
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hacking Leadership was one of my must reads this summer. The book exceeded my expectations and provided lots of strategic takeaways to create the best school. HL has lots of great ideas that are defined in ways that are visible when rolled out and provide "What you can do tomorrow!" Implementation ideas. Love the "Appy Hour" and turning staff meetings and personal learning over to staff. Showcasing ways to use technology in ways I had not thought of to create a school vision and success criteria ...more
Lee Parker
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sanfelippo offers short sensible pieces of advice to aspiring school leaders. His advice ranges from ideas on how to use Twitter to create community to adopting Bruce Lee's advice to 'be like water'. Each chapter is well structured and offers practical tips on how to implement his 'hack'. I took away some very useful ideas from this book, and found myself highlighting sections of my kindle in preparation for my next job. A useful read.
Carla
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: education
This is a very shallow book with nothing new in it. I was soooo disappointed (as I have been with the entire hacking education series - the only one that has been worth the time is Making Writing). These books seem to be meant for schools that are old fashioned and they give teachers a way to make some superficial changes without getting in too much trouble. But nothing meaty or life changing here. Certainly nothing we're not already doing.
Shelly Tiffin
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hacking Leadership is written for educational leaders like principals and vice-principals. However, as an academic coach, I found many "nuggets" that I can work on implementing myself regardless of the leadership above me. It's a quick read and each chapter gives things you can do tomorrow, ideas on how to combat the pushback, a full implementation plan, as well as a story about how the implementation went for another school site.
Anne
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Practical Read

This was such a practical read! Literally every chapter I was taking down an idea for an application and then sending it to a colleague. Joe and Tony offer a real-world reflection along with clear ideas for upping your game as a leader. Everyone who wants to improve their site for kids should read this book.
Erin Sieh
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It had really great ideas that were simple and easy to implement into a school setting. There were also ideas that you could starting doing immediately, as well as ideas that would take a little more time and planning. Some of the ideas seemed simple, but a good reminder too. I highly recommend this book to school administrators!
Chris S
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ideas!

Stepping into a leadership position within a school can be daunting. Or perhaps as an existing leader you want some fresh concepts. This book is full of practical ideas with clear implementation models.
Kaley King
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joe is my hero

Great book for school leaders. Loved the breakdown of the chapters and basically everything else about it. Practical advice that will make any educational institution more innovative and transparent.
Sean Gaillard
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An Inspiring Read to Hack Leadership!

This practical yet inspiring book will uplift your leadership into doing what is best for kids, teachers, families and schools.
Brian McCann
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Inspiring and accessible. Great ideas that you can begin to implement tomorrow to positively affect your culture and improve teaching/learning for students.
Joy Wright
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
We read this as an administrative team and it was a great way to center our thinking as leaders. Thank you Joe and Tony for inspiring educational leaders.

• Hacking School Discipline: 9 Ways to Create a Culture of Empathy and Responsibility Using Restorative Justice (Hack Learning Series Book 22)
  • Lead Like a PIRATE: Make School Amazing for Your Students and Staff
  • Go See the Principal: True Tales from the School Trenches
  • Relentless: Changing Lives by Disrupting the Educational Norm
  • Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.
  • Cicada
  • The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
  • Operation Frog Effect
  • The Intern (Orphan X, #3.5)
  • Closing the Attitude Gap: How to Fire Up Your Students to Strive for Success
  • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
  • The Infinite Game
  • The Authenticity Project
  • Perfect Shadow (Night Angel, #0.5)
  • The Assistant Principal 50: Critical Questions for Meaningful Leadership and Professional Growth
  • Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy