Start by marking “Portrait in Death (In Death, #16)” as Want to Read:
Portrait in Death (In Death, #16)

Portrait in Death (In Death #16)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  27,285 Ratings  ·  647 Reviews
After a tip from a reporter, Eve Dallas finds the body of a young woman in a Delancey Street dumpster. Just hours before, the news station had mysteriously received a portfolio of professional portraits of the woman. The photos seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary for any pretty young woman starting a modeling career. Except that she wasn't a model. And that these phot ...more
Audio CD , Abridged, 0 pages
Published November 28th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Portrait in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait in Death

Phrynne
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
J.D. Robb at her best!
There are so many totally emotional scenes between Roarke, who is definitely not at his perfect best, and Eve, who steps up to be the best wife she can. Tissues anyone?
Then there are all the in jokes like hidden chocolate bars and Eve's twitchy eye whenever Peabody puts the words sex and McNab into the same sentence.
Of course there is the usual banter. Peabody and Eve get most of the good lines in this one, although everyone is a comedian from time to time.
And don't forget
Mo
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going to sound like a broken record here soon. Yes, I loved it. There were some stark revelations here that left one of the characters reeling. The mystery element was well plotted. No, didn't guess the "bad guy." Eve is in full force as usual. She loves her job.

Roarke has his own businesses to run but he is always there to help Eve in any way he can. And ease her tension ... with some hot sex!!

"I couldn't fall out of love with you if I fell all the way to hell." Emotion was storming into his
Mei
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

I wouldn’t advertise that if I were you…

Poor soul. The killer, I mean. Yes, it was really sad to discover who and why the killer killed! Even Eve was almost touched!

Where I was touched is Rourke’s reunion with his family!!! I actually cried! I was considering planting a cherry tree on my balcony!!

I was also chewing my nail when Truheart was in danger! And to read about Baxter’s distress!!! WOW!!!

Another winner here!!!
Jilly
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book had so much Roarke that my swoon-meter almost broke!

It was a blood-boiling, heart-melting swoon-a-thon!

Also, Eve was actually a good wife and put Roarke above her job for a few minutes. That was surprisingly nice to see. Usually it's all about Eve, she treats him pretty crappy, and he loves her like chocolate. We need to see some reciprocation once in a while.

But, as for the mystery? It was a lot about photography which bores the crap out of me.

But, all of the stuff on Roarke, Peabody
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read: 23 July - 6th August 2015

1st read: 15-19 May 2013
I forgot to add one of my favorite quotes from the book:
"What's that? Is that chocolate? Real chocolate?"
"What?" Panicked, Eve shoved the hand behind her back. "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm working here."
"I can smell it." To prove it, Peabody sniffed the air like a wolf. "That's not chocolate substitute, that's not soy. That's real goods."
"Maybe. And it's mine."
"Just let me have a little—" Peabody's gasp was shocked and he
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Rereading for buddy read - June 2017
One of my Top 5 In Death books...I've read this one several times, yet it still tugs at my heart-strings. Will try to return with review.
Ren
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roarke groupies, Eve's die hard fans
Recommended to Ren by: Why? Its Roarke. I must read this!
Re-read Oct, 21st 2011

Contain spoilers (so, yes people!! Continue read this series!)

Portrait in Death is my favorite book of In Death series. Well, I love all In Death books, but my favorite is just a few. And each of that book always have special moment. My favorites include :
- Naked in Death (Roarke and Eve's first meeting at the curch, any readers will not forget about that moment. Really powerful!)
- Vengeance in Death (Roarke's past and well this one have one of my favorite Eve-Roarke's sex
Alex ♈
Suspense 4.5 stars / Romance 4 stars

I quote my dear friend Ann Lou: it was a sad read. The victims were so young, so innocent. It broke my heart.
As always brilliantly solved by Eve. This woman is my idol!

Romance was a big part of this story. Roarke learned about his real mother. I didn't like how he pushed Eve away, but I somehow got why he did it. He was cruel to his wife. Eve was again a cleverer one in their relationship, I adored her.
Ann Lou
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one's very sad to read. I mean, all murders are But this one got deeper to me than the rest. There was no brutality in the murders just a twisted, mentally ill killer who thinks he's preserving their youth, vitality and energy by killing them. By immortalizing them.

Eve is distracted and off because worried about Roarke. She's still learning about the rules of marriage and stuff.

Roarke. He's not his perfect self in this one. A secret from his past came to light and he didn't know how to de
Tina
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
This is the 16th book in the In Death series.

It is August 2059 and it is hot in the city. Eve catches a case where a killer kidnaps, kills and then photographs young college students. And while Eve is busily off tracking down a serial killer, Roarke learns a devastating truth about his past.

JD Robb continues to march on with her crazily addicting series featuring the tough as nails bitch cop, Eve Dallas and her seriously delicious billionaire husband Roarke.

The mystery/slash police procedure in
Diane
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Portrait in Death is one of my favourites in the ID series. Roarke learns about his family, his real mother actually and he returns to Ireland to find answers.

The killer is a pathetic individual that is tough to detest - but murder is never an answer.

I like some of the side characters, in particular Dirk Hastings, the photographer or is that portographer :)

Sadly we learn about Crack's sister and his real name - very emotional part of the book - one of many in this one.

5 stars and 2 thumbs up -
Shari Kay
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I cried in this one. More than once.

Eve has a her hands full in PiD; there is a serial killer on the loose, and something is very wrong with Roarke.

The murderer is killing young adults, those that are full of life, those that are good and innocent. He takes their pictures a moment after death, capturing their light.

Wow, this one hit me in the feels. Robb managed to write the emotions of parents/brothers/sisters losing a loved one with such simplicity and poignancy I had tears running down my fa
Shawna
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorites, romantic-suspense, made-me-cry, author-nora-roberts-jd-robb, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, favorite-romance-series, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, hero-i-wanna-marry, scifi-futuristic-fantasy-misc-pnr, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, series-in-death, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-commoner-self-made, married-couples-married-convenience, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, animals-matter, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, 4-to-5-stars, steam-2-warm, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, hero-brooding, hh-rags-to-riches, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-or-heroine-or-setting-irish, heroine-miss-independent, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, a-all-time-favorite-hero, hero-entrepreneur-mogul-tycoon-ceo, hh-famous-celebrity, best-friendships, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, violence-not-for-the-faint-hearted, hero-alpha, hero-sharp-dressed-man, hero-hot-car-sexy-costly-ride, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-my-romancelandia-husband-harem, hero-sexy-suit-tie-wearing-bad-boy, hh-same-couple-trilogy-or-series, hero-business-owner, hero-i-liked-despite-asshat-moments, hh-story-angst-drama-galore, hero-broody-gruff-serious-moody, hero-husband-worthy-swoonalicious, made-me-ugly-sob-bawl-like-baby, a-all-time-favorite-hh-couples, hero-uber-filthy-rich-bazillionaire, hero-poor-lower-class-background, heroine-uber-damaged-scarred, hero-uber-damaged-scarred, hero-smart-brainy-nerd-geektastic, 2017-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2017, heroine-cynical, crime-mystery-suspense-thriller-fic, fave-hero-ever-marry-me-roarke, best-fave-brilliant-worldbuilding, hh-reformed-prior-crime-law-trouble
4.5 stars - Romantic Suspense/Futuristic/Crime Thriller

"The love was naked on him when he saw it was you."
❆ Crystal ❆
5 stars. I really enjoyed this amazing addition to this awesome series. I loved the focus on Roarke's past. I admit that I did shed a tear or two. The crime was totally twisted and so original it was kind of scary. Eve was fab as usual although I wanted to yell at her for how she treated Nadine in this one. And, I gasped out loud when the killer was revealed! Thank goodness I'm not a detective because I would have never figured this one out.
Lauren
Portrait in Death
3.5 Stars

Following a tip, Eve Dallas discovers the body of a young woman in a dumpster and begins investigating a series of murders in which the victims are all students whose bodies have been staged and photographed. At the same time, Eve must deal with an injured Summerset as well as Roarke, who has become troubled and distant.

The murder investigation is one of the weakest in the series. It progresses slowly and there it too much rehashing of evidence. It is also relatively e
Ana Fernandes
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Uau! Adorei!
J.D.Robb não desilude e continua a surpreender.
É sem duvida a minha série favorita!
♥Sharon♥
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another short and sweet review.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these books!!

Okay, so this one has to be one of my favorites in the series so far.

As much as the plot was interesting and a bit crazy, what I loved most was the writing surrounding Roarke. We get a deeper look into his past. And while his story has always touched my heart, the part of his past that is revealed here is heartbreaking as well as comforting. Eve's emotions and her strength was heartening. I adore her. I adore their rela
Belles
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was pretty emotional to read. Another great book in a great series.
HÜLYA
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cinayetin kurgusundan çok Roarke'in gerçek annesi ile ilgili hikayesi ilgimi çekti...Genel olarak güzeldi ama finale kadar yeterince heyecanlı değildi..Finali iyidir....4.5...
Eve
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Portrait in Death by J.D. Robb
Series: In Death, #16
Suspense > futuristic > romance > mystery

“You're certainly chipper this morning."
"Damn straight. Chipper's my middle name. I'm going out to spread joy and laughter to all of mankind."
"What a nice change of pace." There was amusement riding along with the Irish in his voice. "Perhaps you'll start now by going down with me to see Summerset off."
She grimaced. "That might spoil my appetite." Testing, she polished off the pancakes. "No, no,
Elvan
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
There are so many great scenes in this book. Where do I begin? I had forgot that Patrick Roarke shows up in one of Eve's dreams. Major creepy. I love a killer in plain sight. It's one of my favourite scenarios. I may have a wee beef as to why facial recognition was not used when they had the killers name, but I will forgive JD as there is just so much to love in Portrait. Peabody gets some great lines and really comes into her own as her relationship post Purity injuries to McNabb solidifies. Ad ...more
Goldilocks Reads (Jenna Vahue)
Hooray for a Roarke-centric In Death book! We got to learn so much about the intergalactic dreamboat as he dealt with his grief both in New York and his roots in the Emerald Isle. It was refreshing to see his perspective while our favorite chocolate-loving cop Eve Dallas was solving a case. Roarke is a complex man who hasn't completely given up his shady past as an extremely wealthy businessman. He has quite the technical prowess and it doesn't seem very fair when he's always lending a hand in E ...more
**Manjula ♥ Connor Cobalt**
**mild spoilers (plot summary)**

Portrait in Death started out slow. It starts with Eve jumping up and down with joy because her husband's majordomo is going on a 3 week vacation. Yes, that right! Summerset is going back to Ireland for a vacation. Unfortunately, he gets laid up. The cat of all things causes his fall.
Meanwhile, watching Summerset fall has taken ten years off of Roarke's life. He has his hands full juggling his schedule around and taking care of Summerset.
Eve reluctantly takes pers
Kjen
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
Possibly my favorite In Death...but it is so hard to choose. I. Love. Them. All! Eve landing in the field of cows (you're telling me) and Roarke's reaction to her (you must really love me) and Roarke's Aunt's reaction to all of it...priceless! Possibly my favorite scene...but it is so hard to choose. There. Are. So. Many! The case really is secondary in Portrait which is not a problem for me. Loved the advice and counsel that Eve got from Feeney, Mavis, and Mira during Roarke's "breaking of the ...more
Berls (Fantasy is More Fun)
Kind of a sad, depressing one. But still had brilliant detective work, great relationship developments, heart stopping moments and awesome Eve/Roarke bits.
Helga
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Há autores que nunca nos desiludem, que nos conseguem levar para outras realidades e ficarmos por lá com o corpo cá.
K~Terror
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite In Death book so far! This time we got to see Rourke more vulnerable and how Eve tries to figure out how to put other people's needs in front of her own.

Peabody just makes me giggle every time!

Oh yes, and the mystery to be solved was interesting too. :)
Nihan E.
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bu kitapta Roarkeciimin hayatına dair bir sürü sır açığa çıkıyor ve hepsi çok duygusaldı beni kalbimden vurdu.

Cinayet kurgusu her zamanki gibi muhteşemdi
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Secrets in Death, on sale September 2017, is the 45th e ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“I couldn't fall out of love with you if I fell all the way to hell.” 44 likes
“Marriage isn't for the weak or lazy. It's work, and it should be. What would be the point otherwise?” 17 likes