Start by marking “Memory in Death (In Death, #22)” as Want to Read:
Memory in Death (In Death, #22)

Memory in Death (In Death #22)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  22,013 Ratings  ·  563 Reviews
Eve Dallas is one tough cop. She’s got no problem dealing with a holiday reveler in a red suit who plunges thirty-seven stories and gives new meaning to the term “sidewalk Santa.†But when she gets back to the station and Trudy Lombard shows up, it’s all Eve can do to hold it together. Instantly, she’s plunged back into the past, to the days when she was a vulnera ...more
Audio CD , Unabridged, 11 pages
Published January 24th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Memory in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memory in Death

♥Sharon♥
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I know. I know. All of you are thinking how the heck, after 22 books, I am still handing out 5 star reviews. Well it is simple. I love these books. I love J.D. Robb's writing. I love Eve and Roarke. And I love all the secondary characters.

Peabody will always be at the top of this list with Feeney, McNabb and Dr. Mira following. There was a moment in this one when Dr. Mira's husband did something that warmed my heart. I love these two. I hope J.D. weaves him in to the story lines a bit more.

The
Jilly
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I liked Eve for most of this book. She's sarcastic as always, but has become nicer to Roarke over time and even expresses her love for him more freely now. Of course, she has a cat which is usually a strike against a book character for me. You know I'm a dog person. But, at least she routinely expresses disdain for this cat.

"I've got this fat cat hanging around. I think we should torment him on Christmas, make him wear some of those antler things. You know, like a reindeer."

(Roarke:)"Undermine
Obsidian
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, tbr-2017
Happy sigh. This is one of my favorite re-reads. I tend to read it around the Christmas season. But seriously. I needed a happy (as it can be) In Death book. It gets to be a bit of a grind to just read about rape and murder in every other book.

Memory in Death (In Death #22) is a really good Eve Dallas and Roarke book. We get to spend about equal time with Roarke in this one. And I just sadly realized it's been a while since we got a significant third person POV of Roarke in an In Death book. Hm
Mei
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I know, I know, I’m obsessed with this series! There must be something subliminal inside the books, because I cannot stop!!!

And the most amazing thing is that even if all the books are similar, they’re all different and the mysteries are excellent!!!

In this book the crime touches Eve’s unfortunate foray into the foster care world… It was not enough for Eve to have a monstrous scam of a father, she also had a monster for a foster mother… A cheating, lying, sadistic monster disguised as a loving
Alex ♈
Suspense 4 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

But I click 5 anyway *lol*

Bloody merry Christmas. Well written, but not very captivating. I knew who was the killer from the very beginning. Either way it was a very good read.

I liked how protective Roarke was and I liked how stubborn Eve was *lol*

Eve – you are my heart!

Shawna
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, romantic-suspense, horror-mystery-suspense-thrillers, made-me-cry, author-nora-roberts-jd-robb, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, favorite-romance-series, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, holiday-theme, hero-i-wanna-marry, scifi-futuristic-fantasy-misc-pnr, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, series-in-death, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-commoner-self-made, married-couples-married-convenience, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, animals-matter, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, 4-to-5-stars, steam-3-hot, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, hh-rags-to-riches, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-too-yummy-perfect-to-be-true, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-or-heroine-or-setting-irish, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, heroine-miss-independent, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, a-all-time-favorite-hero, hero-entrepreneur-mogul-tycoon-ceo, best-friendships, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, violence-not-for-the-faint-hearted, hero-sharp-dressed-man, hero-hot-car-sexy-costly-ride, all-work-no-play-on-the-job-romance, hero-my-romancelandia-husband-harem, hero-sexy-suit-tie-wearing-bad-boy, hh-same-couple-trilogy-or-series, hero-protective, hero-business-owner, hero-husband-worthy-swoonalicious, a-all-time-favorite-hh-couples, hero-uber-filthy-rich-bazillionaire, hero-poor-lower-class-background, heroine-uber-damaged-scarred, hero-uber-damaged-scarred, heroine-i-wanna-smack-shake-and-hug, 2017-reads, heroine-cynical, crime-mystery-suspense-thriller-fic, fave-hero-ever-marry-me-roarke, best-fave-brilliant-worldbuilding, hh-reformed-prior-crime-law-trouble
4.5 stars - Romantic Suspense/Futuristic/Mystery/Crime/Romantic Thriller
Dianna
Jul 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-reading
Oh, that Eve Dallas. If you've gotten to this (book 24!) in the Eve Dallas series, you don't need my review. You're reading it anyway. Good luck. It's pretty much the same as the rest. Can I finish this series already so I can get back to reading REAL books?

I know people say I shouldn't be ashamed of what I read. I'm not particularly ashamed of reading this series, but of having been sucked in.

I feel a bit like Guy Montag's wife. Roarke and Mavis and Peabody have all become my family. I've star
Mo
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Another solid read. Is there ever any other read in this series? Not so far, anyhow. It's the holiday season. The house is decorated (a little too much according to Eve). A face from the past appears and Eve is not happy. Nor is Roarke, for that matter.

Of course, they have their ups and downs... but "making up" is such fun!!

"I'm a lousy wife, I get that ... I don't remember to do things - don't know how and don't give a rat's ass about finding out."

"You're not a lousy wife, and I'd be the one t
Ann Lou
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the Holidays in the In Death series and our characters are busy prepping and buying gifts for everyone. Eve has an unpleasant surprise visit from a foster parent from her past. She ended up dead in a hotel room and Eve has to find the murderer. And I am proud to say I guessed who it was! Score for me!

I would have to say this installment is mellow compared to the rest. The mystery wasn't much of a mystery. But I love all the characters and ended up loving this one as well.
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read 15-22 December 2015

1st Read from August 24 to September 02, 2013
Quotes:
“Personalized game, and what you do is start out at the bottom. Pretty much wits only. Then you can earn money, arms, land. Build stuff, fight wars. You can pull in other people—we're all in there. And take on famous foes and stuff. You can cheat, steal, barter, and bloody. But there are a lot of traps, so you can end up broke, destitute, in a cage or tortured by your enemies. Or you can end up ruling the known unive
Maria
This book has several pluses. Only one dead person and that person deserves it. No blood and gore and random violence. We learn more about Eve's early life, this time about her life in a foster home. It also brings out some of the uglier side of Eve when she and Roarke have a fight. And some of her better side as she really thinks about the people she has come to love and depend on and picks out gifts that they will love. There are many great scenes. Dennis Mira putting his arm around Eve and Ev ...more
Kathy Davie
Oh yes!! Eve confronts another piece of her past and Roarke incurs her wrath when he comes to the rescue.
Anastasia
Memory in Death by J.D Robb is the 22nd book in the In Death series. On of Eve's foster mothers turns up to see her just before Christmas and tries to blackmail Roarke to keep quiet about Eve's traumatised childhood. When she is found bludgeoned to death a few days later, Eve and her team investigate. Another fabulous book where we learn more about Eve's past after she was found wandering the streets. All the usual characters are here and I loved all the Christmas celebrations. The only problem ...more
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books in the series. We get a very good glimpse of Eve's horrible childhood after she was named and placed with the first of the foster homes - a terrible experience for her. We can't help side with her when she rants at Roarke about everything he touches turns to gold and everything she touches just fails I guess is the best word. But we also side with her when she apologizes profusely to Roarke.

The horrible woman that fostered Eve was exactly that - horrible!

Two thumbs up a
Ren
Re-read Oct, 23rd 2011

Well, duh! You can't get wrong with this series! ;P.
Even I know some people said the case and the pattern of the story are recycled over and over, you will find a bits of information here. BTW, Memory in Death is unique. While another books in this series have multiple victims, Memory in Death just have one victim (2 actually, but the other just got hurt not killed). Even I can guess who's the culprit from the beginning, its doesn't make my enjoyable to read less.

Avid reade
⚜️Trea
I really could not put this one down! It delved into a bit of Eve's past, and dealt a little with Roarke's extended family as well. I liked seeing both sides of this story, and while the mystery didn't matter too much to me, it was an interesting take on an old theme. More of the focus was on Eve and Roarke, and everyone else was on the periphery. I've kind of missed seeing that in the stories of late, which was what made this one so enjoyable for me. I'm eager to get to the next books in the se ...more
Nique
3.5 Another good read, love the characters. This one I was able to solve early just looked for more clues as I read to justify my theory so I still enjoyed it.
Janie
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Possibly my least favorite of the series so far. Not sure why, but I struggled to finish it. Could be the storyline wasn't as fast paced or just RL getting in the way.
I'll stick with the series though.
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
Warning! This review contains minor spoilers for earlier books in the In Death series.

Fans of the In Death series are already aware that Lieutenant Eve Dallas dealt with some tough stuff in her childhood. Memory in Death deals with Eve's past, but takes a different approach by focusing on what happened to her after being discovered in a hotel room at eight years old. While it was not my favorite of the series by far, I found this one to be enjoyable and a great example of how good JD Robb is at
Venus Blancia
There are several reasons why this 22nd book in the series is very positively frustrating.
1. Roarke and Eve relationship came very established thus far.
2. Roarke, a bilionaire, enigmatic and handsome is an understatement, is still willingly giving up whatever multi-million dollar business deal just to see and comfort Eve of her nightmares.
3. Friends of the Roarke and Eve enjoy big deal of Christmas gifts.
4. Eve does not care how rich her husband is, does not go shopping, and does not ask spend a
Jenny Delandro
even though there is a formula at work here I still want to read and soak up all the moments one by one

to say that I want my own Roarke is an understatement!
There is just no way that couple can articulate their frustration and anger and resolve everything so neatly... I want that too. Normal people hold on to hurt too long.

Everyone should have their kind of marriage

I love reading about it.... I love that although she does not like shopping, but she will search for the exact present that will be
Penni
I enjoyed a lot of aspects of this installment of In Death. Having it hit home so hard for Eve was at first very difficult. But as usual, and with Roarkes' help, she got on top of it. It was good I think overall for her in the end - she had to face and deal with many aspects of her past and of her nature.

Because the murder was not particularly harrying from a time and danger aspect, as the focus was on the emotional aspects, it wasn't as "I can't put this down for a second" as it normally is.

Th
Lou Douglas
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my favorites in the series. There is some back story filled in on Eve's childhood, which is great. Eve is standing for a victim she really hated. I love that it doesn't make her any less determined to find the killer. Of course, in this case, there really weren't a lot of suspects, but figuring out the killer, the plan, the way it all played out was interesting, particularly as Trudy's character (or lack thereof) was revealed in Eve's memories and the experiences of the other ...more
Kara-karina
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how protective Eve and Roarke are about each other, and this book is a perfect example of that trait. This is more of a clash of characters without a ton of action, a case of blackmail, awakened inner demons and straight out, classic who'd-done-it investigation. Recommended.

* * *

Я люблю как Ив и Роарк сражаются друг за друга и всегда готовы подставить друг другу плечо. Эта книга медленная, с минимальным экшном и с большим классическим у-кого-мотив? расследованием, шантажом и борьбой с вну
Melodie
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
These are losing their luster for me. Roarke still shines, but Eve is a bit tiresome. I still have a few of these here that I got from PBS, but think I'll probably be done with them when I finish up what I have! This story just didn't grab me, though I'm pretty sure it was supposed to.
Berls (Fantasy is More Fun)
Had fun with this one, it really kept me guessing - on one hand I suspected one person from the start and on the other, I kept thinking I was reading the signs wrong. Love it when that happens. Really enjoyed seeing another piece of Eve's past - even if it was a nasty foster mom.
Patrizia
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hat mir erstaunlich gut gefallen
Pamela Shropshire
It's Christmas time in NYC and that means lots of tourists. One of those tourists shows up in Eve's office, saying she's Eve's mama, Trudy Lombard, and suddenly Eve realizes she recognizes her as one of the foster "mothers" she was put with as a child. And she was a particularly nasty one, too. Now she's here making noises about a reunion with Eve after all these years. Eve is temporarily flattened, physically sickened.

And the next day, Trudy shows up at Roarke's office, where her real motive co
J.D. Robb : Memory In Death (Spoiler Zone) 30 122 Dec 16, 2016 10:12PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Memory In Death (Nov. 2014) Spoiler Zone 56 22 Dec 09, 2014 05:47AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Twice the Temptation (Samantha Jellicoe, #4)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #4)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Hades (Andrews, Russell)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Secrets in Death, on sale September 2017, is the 45th e ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“You have heard the expression 'love is blind'"

"I think it's bullshit. Lust dazzles, sure, at least for the short term. But love clears the vision. You see better, sharper, because you feel more that you did before”
67 likes
“Far be in from me to dictate how you should assuage your guilt. Do you have a lot of it?"

She bit his good shoulder. "You're about to find out."

She toppled them both off the bench and onto the mat. "Well, ouch. I take it guilt doesn't bring out your gentler side.”
15 likes