Start by marking “Radio Silence” as Want to Read:
Radio Silence

Radio Silence

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  13,731 ratings  ·  3,438 reviews
From critically acclaimed author Alice Oseman comes a smartly crafted contemporary YA novel, perfect for readers who love Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl. This is an utterly captivating and authentic new teen novel from the author of Solitaire, which VOYA said “could put her among the great young adult fiction authors.”

Frances Janvier spends most of her time studying.

Everyone kno
Published March 28th 2017 by HarperTeen (first published February 25th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Radio Silence, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nicholina Yup, I was totally waiting for that reveal. If you were reading too much into it, then so was I.

·  13,731 ratings  ·  3,438 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living, and above all those WHO HAVE NEVER READ THIS BOOK.

This book was like, the spiritual equivalent of eating a perfectly toasted bagel. It was so so good and so adorable and I feel so soft on every level of metaphorical interpretation. I honestly just want to SCREAM about this book and these characters forever and let that be my career. I swear I have such a obsessive personality and once I like something I invest my entire livelihood into it and forget
Alice Oseman
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my second published book! I wrote it while I was at university, fuelled by how much I hated being there. It features:
- a biracial, bisexual protagonist who believes her future lies in academia
- her learning that sometimes there are other paths through life and learning to embrace her passion for art
- the shy, mysterious creator of a science-fiction audio drama podcast
- a friendship between a boy and a girl where they don't fall in love
- a critique of the way the education system brainwas
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
TW: mental illness, animal abuse
This was excellent and hit so close to home on many levels. Highly recommend the audiobook!
Zoë
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This hit so close to home, and I loved it. A heartfelt book that I would recommend to any person who has struggled with mental illness, academic pressure, and figuring out your own path. New favorite!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
description
description
“People move on quicker than I can comprehend. People forget you within days, they take new pictures to put on Facebook and they don't read your messages. They keep on moving forward and shove you to the side because you make more mistakes than you should.”

There’s something so authentically millennial about this book. It’s in the sense of loss. The exploration of detachment from parents and of abuse. The music choices - London Grammar and The 1975’s Chocolate are mentioned on the same page. Th
Melanie
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: kat

“…please just call me Radio. Radio Silence. I am, after all, only a voice on a radio, and there may not be anyone listening.”

Radio Silence is the best contemporary book I’ve ever read. Full stop. So, buckle in, because this is going to be a full-gush review, because this book was everything. And holy shit did it blow all my expectations out of the water.

I normally give a brief synopsis about the book I’m reviewing here, but Radio Silence almost feels too personal for me to even type this re
C.G. Drews
Okay, wow, I did not expect to be entirely absolutely utterly IN LOVE with this book. I mean, I am a dragon??? This is a contemporary??? What is going on with this universe. But this book totally took my entire heart and it was so freakishly relatable I had moments where I was like "Excuse me, dear author, STAHP READING MY MIND THIS IS GETTING WEIRD". So that was amazing. And just....ajfdskaldfads. I have feelings. I have like nine feelings. What is going on with this universe.

#VulcanCaitBreaksD
Lola
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship, lgbt
The easiest five-star-rating I gave this year to a YA book. I was going to say to a book, forget the YA thing, but ‘‘Kings Rising’’ got a five stars from me the moment I finished reading the first sentence. Damen & Laurent forever and ever.

The friendship between Frances and Aled is definitely what I liked best. Or maybe not. It’s hard to pinpoint the most impressive thing about this book, honestly. The pacing is fabulous (such short chapters!), the atmosphere is great, the humour is upliftin
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a complicated relationship with YA contemporary books. I find that they're often quite fluffy in an empty kinda of way and often overhyped.

With that said, I think this one was great and completely get it. Great representation, great friendships and overall attaching characters you will feel for.

Recommend it!
Cindy Pham
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m pleasantly surprised by how authentically Oseman portrays teenagers, academic pressure, fandom, and friendships. The dialogue is organic instead of forced, the themes are universally relatable, and the purely platonic friendship is very genuine. The pace throughout this book is nicely done with several points of tension throughout the story. The diversity is weaved in naturally. Overall, this is a solid book that is sure to hit home for many teenagers. The main reason why I’m not rating this ...more
✨    jamieson   ✨
Me: time to talk about Radio Silence!

*clears voice*

Me: ARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I cannot, literally cannot emphasis to you how much I freakin adore this book with all my heart

Radio Silence is a book I've seen promoted around, especially by my friendos Amelie and Tasha and I expected to enjoy it but what I didn't expect was to fall down a radio silence hole never to be seen again

“In Distress. Stuck in Universe City. Send Help.

PLEASE READ MY REVIEW I WANT PEOPLE
Ariel
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd read this as a teenager. Alice Oseman so delicately and personally delivers a story about enjoying creativity and seeing life as having more options than solely "go to University."

We follow Frances, a girl who is dead set on going to Cambridge... even though she doesn't really seem to understand why she got on this path in the first place or remember why it matters so much to her. It's always been her plan, so it must have been the only good option, right? When she gets involved in a
Nat
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads
“Hello. I hope somebody is listening.”

Radio Silence has been on my wishlist for ages, so I figured the time has come to pick it up. And wow was time right.

We follow Frances Janvier's final school year. Frances has always been a study machine with one goal, elite university. Nothing will stand in her way; not friends, not a guilty secret – not even the person she is on the inside.

Frances is obsessed with Universe City, a YouTube podcast show about a suit-wearing student detective looking for a wa
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*4.5/5

I honestly can’t tell you how long it’s been since I stayed up too late, not even realizing what time it was because I was so desperate to finish a story. Brilliant.
emma
Look at me posting it up!!! Find this review hereeeeee: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...
---------

What. Is. This. Book.

Like...how do I review a book if I don’t know my feelings on it? AND HOW DO I DECIDE WHAT MY FEELINGS ARE IF I DON’T KNOW WHAT IT IS?

Okay. Let me go with the old classics and start off by stating what I know: a synopsis and the few concrete opinions I have.

So in this book we follow Frances, a studying machine who is a huge fangirl of a podcast (for a podcast? What is the
Kai
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Everything's better under the stars, I suppose. If we get another life after we die, I'll meet you there."

4.5/5 stars

A girl pretending to be someone else entirely. A boy who can peel away her layers. A friendship so deep they'll never want to lose each other. And secrets that could destroy it all.

I've you've read Solitaire or Radio Silence you'll know that she's one of us. Movie and book nerd, internet and 90's kid, passionate procrastinator, feminist, possibly awkward. Which is the main reason
amy ☂︎
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
💭jus thinking..... can you take legal action against fictional characters?? because carol last needs to rot in jail for the rest of her life

i've literally never wanted to fight a nonexistent person more, like i’ve hated a lot of characters but you really take the cake CAROL

anyways i liked this book a lot but i feel let down because of the hype it received. (thanks for nothing goodreads asshats! stop hyping books. disappointment is imminent when you have sky high expectations). regardless a bea
April (Aprilius Maximus)
THIS WAS SO GOOD EXCUSE ME WHILE I CRY FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS
Brianna
“Radio’s trapped in Universe City. And someone’s finally heard him. Someone is going to rescue him.”

I know last time I read this, I said “RTC” and I did try (really, truly tried!!) to write a review. But it felt impossible to talk about how much I love this book and how much it means to me on a personal level. I’ll attempt that review again and hopefully be back with it soon. In the meantime, I’ll just say I’d give this book more than 5 stars if I could❤
Kayla Dawn
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
3,5* - this was so great up until the "showdown" happened. Realistic characters and relationships, a compelling writing style and a great message. But ugh the ending was so over dramatic and unrealistic.. It kinda ruined the book for me tbh.
may ➹
you know those books you feel like you were put on Earth to read? this is it. this is one of those books

wow. I feel like this book was written about me, and written for me. I love everything about it and you all are missing out if you haven’t read this masterpiece

// buddy read with gay driver & cortical reader
jessica
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i absolutely tore through this. i am so surprised at the ease and quickness in which i finished this. most likely because the pacing was on point, the storyline was good, and aled. oh my gosh. aled was so innocent and wholesome. i honestly kind of wish the story was told from his perspective. but this was a much needed fun book to read after my emotional weekend (see previous review).

4 stars
✨    jamieson   ✨
“And I’m platonically in love with you.”
“That was literally the boy-girl version of ‘no homo’, but I appreciate the sentiment.”

I have already done a full review of this book the first time I read it and if you're interested in reading that you should do so. It'll give you my in depth thoughts on this book and explain why I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

This is a reread, because I fucking love this book so much. So I'm just gonna do a dot point review TO EXPRESS MY EMOTIONS. Thanks

🌟 first of all this book i
Claudia Ramírez
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
They were all so precious I love them all.
chan ☆
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"if you like it, then it is brilliant."

shit y'all. i'm honestly at a loss for words when it comes to this book. as with many books, i was influenced by another person to read this one. specifically by kat of paperbackdreams on youtube. if you watch her, you'll understand the expectations that i had going into this.

it wasn't at all what i expected. i didn't know much about the plot going in, purposefully. but i didn't expect a book about a girl in her senior year of high school & a boy with a
Leore
‘Hello, I hope somebody is listening...’

I loved this book. There were just so many good things about it I hope to include as much as I can in this review.
I’ve had this book on my TBR for a long while because I loved the cover (purple hardback one, I most definitely read books depending on their covers, I know I should stop okay) but what really pushed me to pick it up from the library was seeing paperbackdreams non stop talking about it on her YouTube channel. Check out her videos if you have
ALet
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
★★★ /5
Personally, I really enjoyed the themes and ideas this book put forward. This book explores the pressures that teens face. Going to university and trying to persuade your life goals in this way is one of most important things in our society and this book changes it.

I liked that it focused on a boy-girl true friendship with no romance. It was very refreshing and nice to read about.

Sadly, I wasn’t a fan of the plot. I am not a huge contemporary fan and the plot wasn’t an exception. I found i
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Wow. That was a good book, friends.

You can read the full, spoiler-free review on my blog!

First of all, this book was unique! The story was different and refreshing, not cliche like a lot of YA contemporaries.

RATING: 4.5 stars (out of 5), for being interesting and different

MY THOUGHTS:
From the beginning, though, I realized that this book is probably for a very specific type of person. I was not interested in the concept of podcasts, the premise of this book would not have appealed to me as much.
Malanie
“And I’m platonically in love with you.”

I feel v guilty about how long it’s taken me to write this review, because I loved this book. But in my defense, I’ve been watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, eating cookie butter, and rereading The Foxhole Court series. So, can we really blame me right now? By :) no :) means.

Overall, I finished this book in two days & let me say I was put through the emotional turmoil of my life. I both adored and hated these characters! (excluding Frances, she is the
Romie
I honestly never thought that picking this book up would mean finding a new favourite book only 3 days into 2018. And yet … also why did I wait so long? To think I could have read this little masterpiece a year ago is absolutely mind-blowing. I’m the worst.

I read this book with one of my best friends and in a way it reminded me of us. Of our friendship. Maybe that’s why this book is so special to me, because it felt like reading about my life.

Frances is someone who, since the moment she learned

• Clancy of the Undertow
  • Remix
  • The Summer of Jordi Pérez (And the Best Burger in Los Ángeles)
  • We Are Young
  • Counting Stars
  • Noteworthy
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
  • Dress Codes for Small Towns
  • Queens of Geek
  • Red Velvet Crush
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Check, Please!: Year Two
Alice Oseman was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She completed a degree in English at Durham University in 2016 and is currently a full-time writer and illustrator. Alice can usually be found staring aimlessly at computer screens, questioning the meaninglessness of existence, or doing anything and everything to avoid getting an office job.

Alice's first book, SOLITAIRE, was published when she was ni
144 likes
“I wonder- if nobody is listening to my voice, am I making any sound at all?” 126 likes