Start by marking “Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedia Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedia Cookbook

Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedia Cookbook

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
It's all here: from the basic to the gourmet, from preparation to serving, all presented in a clear, concise, simple manner. Recipes for every level of expertise are included, from basic broccoli to Artichoke Souffle, along with all-American classics such as Chicken a la King and Peach Meringue Pie. In addition, the cookbook offers a cornucopia of food suggestions for any ...more
Published March 28th 1988 by Perigee Trade (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedia Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedia Cookbook

Dawn
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbookery
This was my grandmother's cookbook, it's packed to the gills with cut out recipes, cartoons, old Indianapolis Star articles, and a post card from my great-grandmother saying that she forgot to tell her how much salt to put in the pickles (no phone!). This is a comprehensive cookbook - covering a gamut of recipes.
Mine says it was published in 1948!
I love this - and if I can't find a recipe - you can bet your buttons, it's in there.
Robert
Jun 16, 2010 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
1950 Encyclopedic edition
Karen-Leigh
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
My mother's cookbook, printed in 1950 and a cherished family heirloom. I love this book even though I am not a cook and seldom actually use any of its recipes. It is a handy reference and a nice diversion for a few hours.
Rob
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone that wants to get (like) really fancy in the kitchen
Shelves: cookbook, own
Not so keen on this cookbook... We have referred to it only a handful of times in the past six years -- and even then, not before exhaustively searching through The Joy of Cooking and/or heuristically experimenting within our culinary comfort zone.

They call this one an "Encyclopedic Cookbook" and it's easy to see why. They're trying to cover everything in the kitchen -- every technique, every core recipe, every possible substitution... I could see how this might be a handy reference. But it a
SFBlau
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-basics
Excellent book. Comprehensive. I have the 1971 edition orginally copyrighted in 1948 (edited by Ruth Berolzheimer b1886-d1965), so it's filled with wonderful retro-recipes, menu plans and basic cooking instructions that are glossed over in modern cookbooks. It's also falling apart from decades of delicious use. I have perused the newer versions of this book, but they lack the domestic charm of this mid-century recipe treasure trove. I prefer this all-in-one cookbook over Joy of Cooking.
Renée
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was first published in the 1950s and not much if anything has changed since its first publication. There are a lot of things that are pretty dated about this book, but it serves as an excellent history book for culinary arts.

Bonus: It has amusing recipes like how to roast an opossum!
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
The Culinary Arts Institute is a renowned cooking school. This is a massive collection of its recipes and techniques. Well worth the price.
Saveta Jadbir