Start by marking “Igniting Darkness (Courting Darkness Duology, #2)” as Want to Read:
Igniting Darkness (Courting Darkness Duology, #2)

Igniting Darkness

(Courting Darkness Duology #2)

From New York Times best-selling author Robin LaFevers comes the follow up to “sharp and breathless” (Kirkus Reviews) historical fantasy Courting Darkness. Set in the world of the beloved His Fair Assassin series, this is perfect for fans of Leigh Bardugo and Game of Thrones.

When you count Death as a friend, who can stand as your enemy?

Sybella, novitiate of the convent of
Published August 4th 2020 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Igniting Darkness (Courting Darkness Duology, #2)
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
Wendy Darling
Annnd now I have a 2019 shelf. o.O
Laura ☾
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Honestly, as a finale I was a bit let down by this.

The multiple POV style is not executed well enough here, and the narrative just felt disjointed and didn't flow!

I felt quite bored through a lot of this, which is a shame as I rather liked the first book in the duology and the original trilogy!

Also, I really didn't connect with Maraud's narrative at all in this? Which is odd since I quite liked him in Courting Darkness
Lena
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Man, those last 50 pages were intense! The book ended too abruptly for my liking but everything before that was splendid and just what I want from historical fantasy. Knowing the author has done thorough research on the topic makes me take off my hat before her because not only did she manage to accurately represent the living conditions and customs of that time, she also tried to stay as true to the historical events as possible.
All the characters were delighting and almost felt like real peopl
christina
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
RTC - a great ending to a great series!!!

------------------------

Courting Darkness, #1 ★★★☆☆
Igniting Darkness, #2 ★★★★☆
Natalie
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a sampler copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

The sampler I received was only 100 pages but I was gripped after the first 20. This book is fantastic so far and I really want to continue reading it all asap!
The characters are diverse and strong female leads and the story is intriguing.
This is a must read for Throne of Glass, Game of Thrones or Leigh Bardugo fans!
Michelle
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Praise Mortain! I’m finally done! I have been waiting since Grave Mercy for a happy ending for these characters I have grown to love so much over these years. I will say this book in particular may not be my favorite out of all of the books, I still really enjoyed seeing how each characters’ story wrapped up.

First, Sybella. I have always, always loved her fierceness, her loyalty, strength and love she has for her sisters and friends, even showing kindness to the people she really disl
Sanne
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loooved the first book in this serie so i couldn't wait for the next one. Kinda sad it was only the first 100 pages but im gonna buy it later to read. Its a very good and well writen story. The story is very original and refreshing and i can't wait to read more!
AJ
Jul 02, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I’m soooo happy to read this a whole month early! 😭
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult / Historical / Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Igniting Darkness, by author Robin LaFevers, is the second and final installment in the authors Courting Darkness duology. This book alternates between two main characters: Genevieve, who readers were first introduced to in the first book in this duology Courting Darkness, and Sybella, who readers first read about in Dark Triumph, part of the original His Fair Assassin series. The series takes place in the year 1490,
Inkslinger
Igniting Darkness (Courting Darkness) Sampler by Robin LaFevers

ARC provided by NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

"Is our meeting a secret?
She sends me a scathing look over her shoulder. "No. I want to sneak up on the herald before I have him announce our arrival."

03-13: I was eager to explore the sampler for 'Igniting Darkness,' the final novel in the 'Courting Darkness' duology by Robin LaFevers.

​I've seen the first book around quite a lot in the review and books
Cece Beckman
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“An epic finale! Igniting Darkness has it all: political intrigue, delicious romance, action-packed, strong and ferocious lead female characters all painted with a French historical backdrop, making this conclusion to LaFevers’ duology a must read.”

Cecelia Beckman Sheaf & Ink

This review is for the book in its entirety.

Caitlin
Robin LaFevers owns my ass
Bookish Selkie
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an excerpt of Igniting Darkness! This excerpt picks up right where the last book left off. Genevieve has been reunited with the convent and now must face the consequences of the choices she’s made. Beast and Sybella’s sisters are on the run while Sybella stalls for time. Robin’s writing remains crisp, descriptive and compelling. Love these characters and I'm so excited to see more of them. I can’t wait to read t ...more
Becca
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A stunning conclusion to the His Fair Assassin follow on duology, Igniting Darkness is everything I hoped it would be. There is politics and intrigue, fantastic character development, beautiful romance and a fast paced plot that keeps on surprising. We are re-united with Sybella and Genevieve, both who met for the first time at the end of Courting Darkness (review here). Their adventures were far from over!

Sybella and Genevieve definitely get off on the wrong foot. For one, Sybella doesn’t know
A C
Hnnggg 4.5? This was really good, I loved it.

So I really love this duology. It has almost everything I love: big thick book with lots of pages, badass women, honest and kind men, court intrigue, and magic. It has so much that I love.

Genevieve is definitely my favorite of the two main characters. I just...I really love her. She is so much fun.

Although I do have to admit that I also love Sybella. She and Beast are amazing, especially since BEAST IS UGLY. It's a Beauty and the Beast retelling where
Olivia (The Sarcastic Sapphic)
I truly don’t know how to explain how much I loved this book, or how much it and the ones that came before it mean to me. This was my most anticipated release of 2020 and it didn’t disappoint. It met and went far beyond my expectations, even though I never knew what to expect. I felt so many different emotions—happiness, terror, frustration, amusement. I was stressed basically the entire time I read. LaFevers took this in so many surprising directions and made it all work. I adore this world and ...more
Rebecca
Ugh...summer 2020! Kill me now.
Cece Beckman
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to HMH for the advance readers copy

Prior to reading Igniting Darkness, I read all three of the original His Fair Assassins novels. I loved the world-building and the way LaFevers drew you in with the historical elements infused with the fantasy of Death’s handmaidens. Where LaFevers molded and shaped these three badass female characters taking on a world made by and for men was one that made the whole experience so incredibly satisfying.

And Igniting Darkness adds to the original threa
eyes.2c
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
Well, this SAMPLER certainly ignited my interest! 💥 ❤️

Once more the continuing fight for fifteenth century Brittany's freedom from the rule of France flares into action in this cutting edge historical fantasy. Of course now that's translated into keeping Queen Anne of Brittany safe in King Henry's court. Those keepers are assassins in service to Mortain--the God of Death.
There's discord and unsanctioned actions in Henry's court, including one surmises, the King's sister, one of his most influent
Jessica Braatz
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Sarah J Maas and Jay Kristoff, Historical Fiction and Fantasy lovers, Strong Heroines
Shelves: favorites
All I can say is wow...

Igniting Darkness blew me away. Robin LaFevers did not disappoint with the conclusion of this duology. Brilliantly written and paced, Igniting Darkness captivated me and was the perfect culmination of the prior four books.

“I must have faith, but having faith is hard, so very much harder than despair.”

This duology follows Death's daughters Sybella and Genevieve as they navigate the dangers of the French Court and attempt to protect the Queen. Genevieve struggles to unrave
Alison♊⚜️✨

Marginally better than Courting Darkness.

In my opinion, it was all solved a little too easy, with no big moment happening; instead, there were many medium moments.

Though I was happy to see Gen's character development, especially towards the end where she actually grew some balls instead of running away from her own emotions. However, my feelings toward Sybella remain unchanged. Same repetition over and over again of how she saw herself...

Also, the new extra POVs surprised me as book 1
Darcy
With this one it seems like Sybella and Genevieve have their work cut out for them. They have to make the King see how he is being manipulated and not turn him against themselves. They walk a fine line, often not really sure if they are going to succeed or not. In the background their loves work with them, ending up in just as much or more danger. By the end so much has to be taken on faith, the King has to really decide who he will trust.
Caroline
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Writing: 5 Characters: 5 Plot: 5. Yes! This book was pretty much perfect. A great conclusion to the series and I love all the cameos at the end from the other characters from her previous books. Writing was superb. All my favorite characters were back and so well written. The plot was so political and scheming and this book deserves all the stars.
Adriana
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot picks up straight away and the conspiracies are even more complex than in the previous book. It really is almost as if you’ve merely turned the page onto a new chapter. LaFevers continues to prove herself a master court intrigue.
One warning though, So many names and hidden agendas are present that it might be a good idea to reread or at least skim the previous volume.
Brittney ♡
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize, as it does not say, this was a sampler of the book. This was a great connection to the first book Courting Darkness! This is on my TBR and I'm excited for when I get to it!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the eARC. All opinions are my own.
Forever Young Adult
Talky Talk: Good But Bleak
Bonus Factors: Just Desserts, Medieval Weaponry
Anti-Bonus Factor: The King
Relationship Status: Sisters

Read the full book report here.
E.L. Irwin
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I love this series and have from the very beginning with, Grave Mercy. The characters, plot, and storyline are well thought out and engaging. It’s definitely one I’ll read again.
Clay
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Despite the description, this really isn't the second in a duology, but IMO best read as the rousing, moving, romantic and thoughtful fifth and final installment of LaFevers' His Fair Assassin series/quintet. Highly recommended, but do yourself a favor and start with Grave Mercy. Both the books and their audio versions are excellent.
Courtney Smellink
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adored getting to see all the old characters again! This book was a fun adventure, with enough suspense to be interesting the whole way through. So glad it broke my audiobook slump!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Book of V.
  • The Lies That Bind
  • Pew
  • The Dilemma
  • Deception by Gaslight (A Gilded Gotham Mystery #1)
  • Spindle and Dagger
See R.L. LaFevers

You can find her most current blog posts--including information about the upcoming COURTING DARKNESS--over there.

Courting Darkness Duology (2 books)
  • Courting Darkness (Courting Darkness Duology, #1)

Articles featuring this book

Flowers, birds, and sunshine all return in the spring, and so do many of our favorite book series with their next installments. Some of this...